Sidney Rice signs 1-year deal

Mick063

Reaction score
The team has enough at WR to take a flyer for a few rounds in this WR deep draft. There will be good ones later on.

Remember that Kearse and Baldwin were undrafted.

It is the offensive line I want to see addressed. I would like to see Wilson play from the pocket more and he can't do that with the current front. Not in this division...Quinn, etc.

Further, they couldn't get Lynch going in the Super Bowl. The offensive line is a liability, disguised by the talents of a Houdini quarterback and a beast running back.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Everything I've seen so far says that he's agreed to a deal but has yet to physically sign the deal. I know it's a technicality, but it isn't official until the paper is signed. I'd imagine it will be in short order though.

Sidney Rice has agreed to a one-year deal with the Seahawks. I can confirm Rice has agreed to terms with the Seahawks. He still needs to sign his contract.

[urltargetblank]http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/04/16/sidney-rice-tweets-he-is-returning/[/urltargetblank]

Blitzer88

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1u1a6bp8 said:
My thoughts exactly:

Russell Wilson ‏@DangeRussWilson 4m
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! @sidneyrice

Russell seems pleased with this move.

kf3339

Reaction score
Great news! It takes some of the pressure off what type of WR we need to draft, although I still look for at least one being drafted In our first two picks.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
brettb3":3kgqaqra said:
Tical21":3kgqaqra said:
If this takes Kearse off the field, I'll be a little irritated. Hopefully this is more Percy insurance than anything. I'm still a little bummed that Rice stole so much money for next to zero production, and we still decided to pay him even more money, but I'll live.
If Rice takes Kearse off the field, that means he's outplaying him.

Its really just this simple.

Largent80":3kgqaqra said:
[youtube]09LTT0xwdfw[/youtube]

I approve of this Largent 80! 'There is no turning back now
You've woken up the demon in meeeeeeeee'

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I was very hard on him last season before the injury. I felt like he just was giving the team almost nothing other than being a pricey decoy. That said, I think it's because he was never healthy last year, and I'm glad to see him get another chance. A healthy Rice is a valuable player.

AgentDib

Reaction score
brettb3":14xrah3z said:
Tical21":14xrah3z said:
If this takes Kearse off the field, I'll be a little irritated. Hopefully this is more Percy insurance than anything. I'm still a little bummed that Rice stole so much money for next to zero production, and we still decided to pay him even more money, but I'll live.
There's a problem with this logic. It assumes our front office knows more than the forum posters do about which player gives them the best chance to win on Sundays. Are we really going to start giving them the benefit of the doubt now just because they have been really successful and put together a great team?

Cartire

Reaction score
AgentDib":1kji3mgy said:
brettb3":1kji3mgy said:
Tical21":1kji3mgy said:
There's a problem with this logic. It assumes our front office knows more than the forum posters do about which player gives them the best chance to win on Sundays. Are we really going to start giving them the benefit of the doubt now just because they have been really successful and put together a great team?

Nice. I see what you did there.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":pvf859m4 said:
Yeah, I wouldn't think that after the way Kearse came on last Year, that he'd be side-lined much, if any.
Tate being gone and all, kind of opened it up for Kearse, and he answered with a BANG, especially going down the stretch, and a fantastic TD in the Super Bowl.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Good news. While I've had my complaints with him, it's great to have him back and healthy. Continuity is huge in the passing game. A very nice piece to have back in play. Welcome back Sidney!

Escamillo

Reaction score
Tical21":3t9p6ivh said:

Pete Carroll is all about players competing for playing time, and salaries aren't even a factor, as evidenced by RW beating out Flynn.
I don't think Rice comes in as a guaranteed starter. The WR depth chart will be determined by whoever has the best camp. And even then, we rotate our receivers so they all get playing time. In the Super Bowl, Wilson completed passes to every WR and TE we have. :)
So, Kearse will get playing time whether or not he's above or below Rice on the depth chart.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":33dwwq2z said:
Welcome back Sidney! While I don't think he'll be our savior, I do like this move.

Funny, all accounts had him in NY visiting the Jets today. I wonder if he got there, looked around and said, screw this, I got it much better in Seattle!
I bet that all the teams that he talked to and visited offered the same amount Seattle offered so he just picked the best franchise. I predict that the Hawks will go BPA in the draft and pickup OL and WR late. UDFA's will be interesting to watch too.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I like this move. :sarcasm_on: Now I just hope they put a clause in his contract that fines him $10k every time he spins the damn ball. :sarcasm_off:

kearly

Reaction score
This is a pretty big deal, IMO. As things were, Seattle would have needed to rely on a rookie exclusively as the big target guy, and given how WRs usually take a few years to acclimate that didn't look like an ideal situation for a team in a SB window.

This offseason hasn't been perfect but I never dared hope that we'd keep Miller and Rice in 2014, especially not for the kind of money they'll be making.

irocdave

Reaction score
Nice to know he will be back and well rested. Last year when he went down I bought in tot he the same WRONG opinion that he wasn't that important to the passing game. The offense went in the tank the game after he went out and didn't come back consistently until the playoffs. Dude has good hands, can still out jump most d backs and has a ton of experience. Need to pick up a tall rookie receiver in the draft though. SR's shelf life is almost up.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Awesome news! I really like this move even if it's a tad risky with his injury history. But assuming it's a very cheap contract with incentives to motivate him to play his best I like this a lot. Sidney just seems like a great team player, it's nice to give him another chance with us.

I had a feeling this might happen, especially if we weren't confident that the CFL guy Chris Matthews could ever come close to the talent of a healthy Sidney Rice. Even if Chris Matthews does contribute as another tall receiver along with Rice for those clutch 3rd downs etc. I still think picking up Sidney was a great move for our depth. If Harvin gets injured and we have a healthy Sidney Rice, that would still be pretty legit, very similar to our 2012 group if Baldwin steps up like Tate did that year.

In 2012 Sidney was clearly our #1 receiver slightly edging out Tate in my opinion. Although they are completely different types of players (Rice rarely gets yards after catch and Tate is one of the best at that) and we still need someone to take over punt returns, Sidney has proven that he is capable of putting up similar total receiving yards as Tate in our system. I'd still rather have Tate since I think he's more likely to have a more productive career than Rice going forward, but at least Sidney can get us those much needed yards. Both Rice and Tate have an incredible ability to high point the ball and make crazy catches on a regular basis, but since Rice is taller I think Russell really prefers going to him, he did target him slightly more than Tate in 2012.

I think out of all our current receivers this news will effect Kearse the most. They seem like pretty similar players to me as far as their roles in our offense. Kearse seemed like he was being groomed to take over for Sidney. But competition is always a good thing.

I think we could see a lot of rotation with Harvin, Rice, and Kearse. It seems like Baldin would get the most snaps because he seems durable and consistent, hopefully Harvin will get a ton too since he really tilts the field. It will be interesting to see who gets the next most snaps out of Rice, Kearse, and maybe even Chris Matthews.

I'm not sure if I agree that we should still focus on drafting a receiver seems a bit risky but if some amazing receiver is somehow still available it might work out in the long run. I really want to address the offensive line the most, we NEED to protect Russell. We might even need a defensive guy to replace someone like Clemons for example, or to replace Irvin if he takes Clemons role. We may even need a guy to eventually replace Maxwell or to provide depth if Maxwell or Sherman gets injured. I really have no idea what's gonna happen in the draft, but as long as our offensive line greatly improves next season I think we'll be in great shape for a Super Bowl repeat, especially if Sidney Rice can still play at a high level.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
This is clutch. I still think the Hawks are going to bring in Finley as well on a 1 year deal if he is declared healthy by docs.

Latest posts