Sky is Falling.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
acer1240":3djlfxwl said:
I'm in. Russell is worth 7 wins a year by himself. Longtime fans have been through worse.

Go Hawks!

So. You’re “in” on “the sky is falling”?

Maybe I didn’t word things correctly.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkfish":3eh3dg6t said:
adeltaY":3eh3dg6t said:
toffee":3eh3dg6t said:
I am out of touch, what picks do we own in '19 draft?

1, 3, 4, and 5. Not a lot of ammo right now.

There are some reasons for optimism, but we don't have much depth at CB going forward, aren't developing any LBs besides Quem who may not be best suited for the position, and major question marks at S. Glad we have Green developing at DE and hope we can nab another pass rusher in the first round - should be solid on DL in all honesty.

Offense has some bright spots but we need to draft and develop two tackles to replace Ifedi soon and DB in a couple years. Also need a true #1 WR now that Baldwin is getting up there in age. Need an answer at RG in the future as well. Also at pass catching TE unless Dissly can grow into the role.

There are holes everywhere and the bad drafting from 2013 to 2016 is mostly to blame.

Predicting we trade Earl for a 2nd after the Cowboy game.
I’m predicting Earl gets franchised by Seattle for the next 2 years.
Crazy uncle Jerruh refused fo pony up, So no ET for him!!!!

acer1240

Reaction score
pmedic920":3uaxzm4d said:
acer1240":3uaxzm4d said:
I'm in. Russell is worth 7 wins a year by himself. Longtime fans have been through worse.

Go Hawks!

So. You’re “in” on “the sky is falling”?

Maybe I didn’t word things correctly.

I'm in on the fact that this is a rebuilding year and I can sit back, watch and enjoy without stressing out.

The sky certainly is not falling. This isn't "in Ruskell I trust" territory.

This is 2012. All over again.

I can't wait :D

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
This team is falling apart and this is most likely Pete and John's last year. The reality is that they are currently running on reputation alone. They captured lighting in a bottle between 2010 and 2012 but have done nothing since. We have had bad drafts since 2013 and nothing shows that we are getting better. We have been making really weird and poor decisions of late (spending two seconds on DTs last year and when neither of those worked out not replacing them with anything, not trading Earl Thomas when he cleary isn't coming back). Earl is gone next year. KJ is probally gone next year. Doug and Bobby are getting older and banged up. Our best pash rusher is really a third option and his contract is coming up. Russel Wilson is an above average QB who relies on his agility and speed but is aging and losing both of those. We are going to have to pay him like an elite player (the economics of QBs) which will hinder the team. We are stuck in a situation where we either resign our above average QB to elite money or go years in QB purgatory. Wilson has not become a pocket passer and will regress every year that he gets older and loses the magical ability that he had. Really, we wasted 5 years of drafts, made bad trades for offensive weapons/toys that didn't pan out, made horrible choices for out O-Line, and did not find players to replace aging stars and traded/released those stars to late. We are at the spot where we were when the Holgmren regime collapsed. This team is just devoid of talent. And, honestly, Pete is a bad in game coach so it's not like he can win with poor talent. We are in for a rough year and a rough couple years most likely. I will always be thankful for Pete and John bringing us a trophy, but they have done nothing since then that makes me confident in them. Like, some bands only have it in them to record one great album. Some authors only have one good book in them. Pete and John built a hell of a team but that was all they had. The team they built was strong enough to stay competitive as it slowly withered but the bottom has fallen out. I'm still gonna route for them but they are what they are. A bad team.

chris98251

Reaction score
I was on the rebuild wagon well before the start of the season and continue to be so, tuition is what is going to be paid for 8 to 10 weeks, we will have guys rotating in for injured players, rookies learning NFL style football and establishing themselves and the Officials baptizing them as well as they learn the ropes of how to deal with NFL Officials, Sherman was loud but he had a knack of dealing with them after the first call and pointing out the rules etc in a way that we rarely seen repeat calls for the same offense.

We have a line that we have heard is now going to grow together and that still will take time to gel.

Watching a plant grow can be boring, but you forget about that when it blooms.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Come on...
Since 1976 we have lived through mediocrity, horrible first round draft picks, heart breaking playoff losses, the 90's, Ken Behring trying to move the Hawk's to California, do we need to delve further? Injuries will heal, this is a talented young team with great potential and we are missing less pieces than most think. Try to appreciate this team for what they are in the present and what they could be in the near future. Go Seahawks.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1ij3nf3c said:
Spin Doctor":1ij3nf3c said:
Let's be real here, this never was going to be a season that we competed. It is a year that we reload. We lost a lot of talent and haven't replaced them with good alternatives. As long as we hang in games, and our rookies show development I'll be happy to watch.

You mean competed for a SB, right? Because what I saw in Denver was a fairly competitive game, close in score, and some good plays mixed in with some bad. If this team plays competitively with every other team in the league, even if they miss the playoffs, isn't that a win?
Yes, competing for a Super Bowl. If the game is like the 7-9 season from 2010 sans playoff birth I will be happy.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I was seriously excited about how this team looked. I thought if the line improved just a little and our RBs didn't get injured (I mean all of them) we would be fine. How cool would that be if the Seahawks were reborn again? I really have to admit though, the injuries over the past 4 years are very frustrating.

Teams have injuries, yes it is part of the game but was really hoping for that random year of an injury free season. Still a lot games to play so let's see what happens.

Think we got out coached this past Sunday and I am sick of that, no excuse. The predictability of whether we pass or run resulting in numerous 3 and outs is sometimes downright unbearable.

toffee

Reaction score
For me, we are right where we supposed to be at this point. We almost got lucky in Denver, one missed FG and a bad TD call ... we coulda, woulda. But still we are where we supposed to be, I would be real worried if the team doesn't improve substantially in second half of the season.

I observation so far on Pete/John's strategies:

1. To improve our running game:
blocking TE, run blocking RG, new star 1st round RB. My grade: C-, TE play actually improved, Fluker so far hasn't work out, Penny is super super underwhelming ---- sure haven't seen any flash or fire from this young man.

2. Reloading our DL:
Lots of new faces, Green shown some flash in pre-season but nothing in 1st game. Poona hasn't played, Clark had a quiet game. My grade: C-

3. Reinvent LOB:
Work in progress, so far, looking like a C+ to me.

Like to see a B+ in those three area come second half of this season.

xray

Reaction score
It fell already...get off your Fantasy Football and pay attention.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
All I know is I have never used my Ignore feature as much as I have this year.

I can handle the skeptics and the "realists" but those perpetual noisy negativists I don't have time for in my life.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Aros":3vewvnnl said:
All I know is I have never used my Ignore feature as much as I have this year.

I can handle the skeptics and the "realists" but those perpetual noisy negativists I don't have time for in my life.

I hear you on that. There are some people here that seriously need a hug and a pat on the back. It will be ok.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
xray":9tr53a33 said:

What, huh?

Who or what are you responding too?

Again I ask, please explain why you feel or see things the way you do.

Are you trolling?
Do you have any substance to add to the conversation?

sdog1981

Reaction score
pmedic920":26g5k9a0 said:
xray":26g5k9a0 said:

What, huh?

Who or what are you responding too?

Again I ask, please explain why you feel or see things the way you do.

Are you trolling?
Do you have any substance to add to the conversation?

He is a new troll

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If you don't acknowledge your problems, then resolving them becomes unlikely.

That said, if your measure to enjoy the Seahawks or being a satisfied fan is the Seahawk's reaching the SB - then I question how any fan could last the season. They are not reaching the SB, but I would be happy with a real playoff win. Not sure that is reasonable either.

I watched this team when it was a 2 win team. I am ok with 7 wins if that is all they can muster.

The frustrating thing is that they could be better, but they keep making the same mistakes again and again while not learning from them.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1xl26wkg said:

That said, if your measure to enjoy the Seahawks or being a satisfied fan is the Seahawk's reaching the SB - then I question how any fan could last the season. They are not reaching the SB, but I would be happy with a real playoff win. Not sure that is reasonable either.

I watched this team when it was a 2 win team. I am ok with 7 wins if that is all they can muster.

The frustrating thing is that they could be better, but they keep making the same mistakes again and again while not learning from them.

Very true, good post.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":19r9s6y5 said:

Curious what you think those mistakes are?
Do you think that problem, those problems are unique to the Seahawks?
Do you feel that other fan bases feel the same way about their team?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'll play-

Front Office - I think John Schneider is one of the most overrated GM's in the game. I'm not going to come out and say he's downright horrible, but he's not near as good as most Seahawk fans think. Its been about 5 years since we had a good draft and some of his free agent signings for cash and draft picks are just infuriating. Its not a coincidence that the drafts started falling off the cliff once Pete's familiarity with the college classes ended.

Coaching - Pete isn't a good game day coach. Just last weekend he did things that just make you sit there with your mouth open. Dissly had 100 yards and a TD in the 1st half and wasn't used in the 2nd half? WTF? Carson averaged 7 ypc and you only run him 7 times? This is coming from a coach that says he wants to get back to running the ball. Again, WTF? Its a disturbing pattern. I have always thought he needed the best and most talent to be successful and we don't have that now. I truly believe he will step down in 2020 after his contract is up.

QB - Still don't understand the fans that are down on Russ. He is the best QB that the Seahawks have ever had. Sure, he's not Rodgers and cant throw with Brees, but he offers his own set of abilities that sets him apart. Any other QB behind our line the past few years would have had a funeral procession already. He works hard and studies the game and I believe he has been hamstrung by bad coaching and bad Oline play for years now. Yeah, he's slowing down some, but I have no doubt that he'll learn to adapt as time goes on.

RB - Carson is just alright in my opinion. Sadly, we haven't seen enough of him on field to gauge him any further than that. He's never even had a 100 yard rushing game yet. He definitely looks better than whoever else we have, but that's not hard to do. Penny is an enigma. I was actually ok with the draft pick although I understood the people who weren't. He was a stud in college and why not take a chance with him? We actually need a star RB and we tried. Granted he's only played one game, but he hasent looked good since he's gotten here. I'll give him some more time. Honestly, speaking of RB's, the Seahawks decline started when Lynch regressed. It wasn't the defense or the QB or anything else. It was Lynch. Pete's philosophy doesn't work unless you have somebody like Lynch back there that can get yards after the carry. Others have tried and they have failed. In 2015, Pete and Bevell had a revelation and opened up the offense with Rawls and we looked awesome. 2016 comes around and its right back to the drawing board with Pete thinking we had Lynch back there again. Urgh.

WR - Baldwins a #2 or #3 slot receiver that's been pretending to be our #1 for years. He balls hard and I love the guy, but he isn't a #1. What do we do with him with his contract coming up? I don't know. People have stated that our WR corp has been average for years and I agree. They struggle at times to get separation, but most NFL corps are the same. I wish we had a play maker in the lineup like Brown, Green, or Odel but who doesn't? If an NFL team can get away with being average at any position group, its the WR's in my opinion,,,,,and we are.

TE - The Graham project was a nightmare as we all know. I wasn't happy with the Dissly pick, but he went nuts in his 1st game so we'll have to wait and see with him. Vannett's a bust in my opinion and Dickson is a dinosaur. it is what it is.

Oline - Could the last few years be any worse than what we were/are? Is it Cables fault? Did he really have enough input that the FO passed on so many lineman in the drafts? Did he really teach them to be that awful with technique and so forth? I'm not sure yet. They still look horrible under Solari which makes me think they are, but its early. I'll reserve judgement a little later. just awful though.

Defense - I'm tired so i'll bunch them all together. We are as shallow as any team in the NFL in my opinion. The line got pushed around in Denver which made their RB's look good, we have a poor pass rush, our linebackers are all hurt, but KJ and Wagner are awesome when healthy. They are getting older though. The LOB is gone and that hurts. I didn't agree with getting rid of Sherman, but he and Pete were at odds. Kam got hurt. Earl is still one of the best safties in the league, but he wants out. Anyways, the players let go were replaced with worse players and that's why the defense isn't very good. Will it be? I'm not sure to be honest.

Special Teams - Walsh was a nightmare and we followed that up with another kicker that's causing night sweats. Why is it so hard? Dickson is the best draft pick the FO has made in years. Sad when you look forward to watching the punter.

All in all, I think the team is in trouble. Not just this season, but going forward. I have no confidence in Pete to turn it around or to coach them out of this regression. Thanks for the memories, but I feel its time to move on while we still have a franchise QB in the prime of his career.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
pmedic920":2ot5ndle said:
TwistedHusky":2ot5ndle said:

Curious what you think those mistakes are?
Do you think that problem, those problems are unique to the Seahawks?
Do you feel that other fan bases feel the same way about their team?

Everytime I start feeling bad about the Seahawks situation, I think of the Bengals and their fans. Look how many years Lewis has been the coach and how unsuccessful he and they are. He's been the coach there for 15 years and not one playoff win. Not one.

Fade

Reaction score
pmedic920":2dzvhhxc said:
Fade":2dzvhhxc said:
The bigger concern is where Pete is going to want to spend the Free Agency money. Year after year he has flushed precious cap space down the toilet. Signing guys that don't contribute, or if they play they are horrendous. Thanks Pete.

Fair enough, and there are many that would agree with you.

Remember though, we’re “keeping it real”.

Care to explain how you would do things differently?

Were there free agents that you would have rather signed?
What would you have done differently if you had “the power” to make the decisions?

I would have to go into too much detail and type a wall of text to talk about the past, and it would all come off as Captain Hindsight anyway. So I will stick with the near future.

The General Problem has been:

Pete has his hands in too many pots, for far too long, and it has dragged the team down. He needs to just focus on being the Head Coach only going forward. Let John be the GM and let John have final say on personnel, get a high level DC & OC, not yes men.

The problem is of course is Pete would never accept a reduced role.

The Near Future:

Pete only has 1 year left at the end of this year. Pete I don't think will want to be a lame duck at the end of the year and will want to be extended.

So we will have to wait and see how it goes this year, and I am not talking record wise. I am talking 2011 vibe wise. That team was 7-9, but I felt and many others felt like they were only a QB away from being Championship contenders.

So if the offense is really humming by the end of the year, and it feels like they just need to get some pass rushers, and continued development in the secondary to be championship contenders again go ahead and aggressively acquire some guys who can sack the QB, and extend Pete.

If the team feels just too far away, and there are problems everywhere. That have been created by Pete himself over an extended period of time. Then I think it is time to seriously consider change & restructuring at the top of the organization when it comes to football operations.

Nothing will need to be said at the end of this season. We will know.