So... it's been done to death, but jersey sizing (new nikes)

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this up, but I kinda need an answer. I am going to finally order a customized personal jersey. I was waiting until my "surgery bloat" went down some, but it has been holding on for a year. I wear a 52 in the Reebok, and I have a Mitchell and Ness Warren Moon Oilers jersey that is a 52 (54 is waaaaay too big).

I ordered a hat with a gift card from NFLshop the other day, and called it in just to talk to somebody about my upcoming personalized jersey order, and the lady said that the Nikes run small and to order one size up. I typically wear an XL in most things, but I believe the Reebok 52 is an XXL (sort of). So do I go to a XXL? Or to an XL? I have a BYU Nike jersey that is an XL and it fits fine, but this lady was adamant in saying to go UP no matter what on a custom since it can't be returned. She said that she had dealt with players directly last season that were upset at the sizing, which was interesting, but I guess some of them had ordered jerseys for family and such and the sizes were goofy, and the players she dealt with also said that the game jerseys were too small as well and a lot of guys had to upsize in the preseason and Nike still hadn't resolved it because the players got used to the new sizing.

I am going with the midrange because I have a giftcard left over from my birthday and I designed a #1 with my name on it and it looks sweet. I just need to get it ordered so I can sport it at work on dress down Friday on October 4th (I teach in a uniform school, so getting to wear my Hawks jersey will be epic because we have 2 total "dress down" days per year).

Thanks all. I can't find a local store in Utah that has ANY team current Nike jerseys to compare with. Grrrr....

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I wear XXL in both the old reebok and new nik jerseys. The old are a little bit more baggy, the new are a little bit more trim, but both fit well.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I wore an L in Reebok and an XL in Nike. For me the L was too tight thru the shoulders and cheat for the Nike. Shark, what I suggest if you live near a store that sells jerseys (Nike) go try them on, even if its not a hawks one, as they are all cut the same.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SharkHawk":24h000nm said:
Sorry to bring this up, but I kinda need an answer. I am going to finally order a customized personal jersey. I was waiting until my "surgery bloat" went down some, but it has been holding on for a year. I wear a 52 in the Reebok, and I have a Mitchell and Ness Warren Moon Oilers jersey that is a 52 (54 is waaaaay too big).

I ordered a hat with a gift card from NFLshop the other day, and called it in just to talk to somebody about my upcoming personalized jersey order, and the lady said that the Nikes run small and to order one size up. I typically wear an XL in most things, but I believe the Reebok 52 is an XXL (sort of). So do I go to a XXL? Or to an XL? I have a BYU Nike jersey that is an XL and it fits fine, but this lady was adamant in saying to go UP no matter what on a custom since it can't be returned. She said that she had dealt with players directly last season that were upset at the sizing, which was interesting, but I guess some of them had ordered jerseys for family and such and the sizes were goofy, and the players she dealt with also said that the game jerseys were too small as well and a lot of guys had to upsize in the preseason and Nike still hadn't resolved it because the players got used to the new sizing.

I am going with the midrange because I have a giftcard left over from my birthday and I designed a #1 with my name on it and it looks sweet. I just need to get it ordered so I can sport it at work on dress down Friday on October 4th (I teach in a uniform school, so getting to wear my Hawks jersey will be epic because we have 2 total "dress down" days per year).

Thanks all. I can't find a local store in Utah that has ANY team current Nike jerseys to compare with. Grrrr....

No malls have any Sports stores in them?

Siihawk

Reaction score
I am 6'5" 225 and I wear custom replica jerseys. I have one Blue one in XL and it is quite baggy so I use that as my cold weather jersey that I can wear a hoody or such underneath. I also have one Wolf Gray in L that I wear as my normal fitting stand alone jersey. I can wear a regular shirt underneath it but rarely do.

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Sports Hernia....I live about 20 miles from any mall, and am kind of agorophobic to be honest. The only store that sells jerseys is "fanzz" which is owned by the Utah jazz and they typically only carry Jazz stuff and BYU and Utah gear. I wasn't sure I the NCAA stuff was sized the same. The only store really near me is a Walmart. There is a Kohls between my home and work and one Target and Costco. I'm really kind of in the boonies.

If I can get myself into Salt Lake then I can probably find a comparison I hope!

pmedic920

Reaction score
Ok Jon, here's my 2 cents. I'm 5'10" 185lbs. If t-shirts run small I wear a XL, if they run reg to big, I wear a LG. I just got my newest elite jersey in last week. I ordered a 44. It fits great. I have no need to wear any layers, just a t-shirt under it. It's not baggy nor tight. Hope this helps. Go Hawks.

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Thanks Lon. The weird thing was that the NFL lady was telling me to ignore the number sizes and go with my "normal" shirt size and go one up. I was confused, but she had a really super heavy Wiscansin accent that kept making me chuckle.

I wish they'd just give precise measurements rather than "52" which is supposed to mean 52 inches (I think) but never really does. I would hope that they'd be precise like dress shirts. I know my neck length, arm span, chest measurement, measurement from armpit to end of shirt, etc. I guess that's too complicated, but if Nike is going off of the same pattern for every shirt, then give us the precise measurements and we'll work it out. I also wish they made an XL long, because I am tall and have long arms, so sleeves tend to look short and shirts always come untucked, but a large-tall in any other shirt is a bit snug. So I end up wearing an XXL sometimes (6'1" 220) and it looks goofy like I'm wearing a parachute.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":ytl7i78i said:
I wore an L in Reebok and an XL in Nike. For me the L was too tight thru the shoulders and cheat for the Nike. Shark, what I suggest if you live near a store that sells jerseys (Nike) go try them on, even if its not a hawks one, as they are all cut the same.

This is pretty much what I've found with mine as well. They seem to be ok as far as chest and waist, but the shoulders are a bit tighter, so I would say it really depends on if you are wider shouldered, go up a size, if you have narrow shoulders your regular size should be alirght

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SharkHawk":3dx028fu said:
Thanks guys! Sports Hernia....I live about 20 miles from any mall, and am kind of agorophobic to be honest. The only store that sells jerseys is "fanzz" which is owned by the Utah jazz and they typically only carry Jazz stuff and BYU and Utah gear. I wasn't sure I the NCAA stuff was sized the same. The only store really near me is a Walmart. There is a Kohls between my home and work and one Target and Costco. I'm really kind of in the boonies.

If I can get myself into Salt Lake then I can probably find a comparison I hope!
Ahhh, good luck brother. I would just hate for you to buy something over the net and have it not fit. The jerseys on the low end start at $100 a pop, that's a lot of cash for most of us.

Latest posts