So we are going to be a run-first team with no O-line?

themunn

Reaction score
So let's look at the stats:

6 games with Unger last year - Seahawks rush for 1123 yards on 205 carries for an average of 5.5 YPC

10 games without Unger, Seahawks rush for 1639 yards on 320 carries for an average of 5.1 YPC.

Those are the facts.

But let's think about this - there was a massive outlier in the Giants game which we should probably strike from the record. Additionally, we play with a mobile QB whose running success is more dependant on breakdowns in coverage than the blocking of his O-Line.

Striking the Giants game from the record and all Russell Wilson rushing yards, what we get is that in 5 games with Unger, we rushed for 493 yards on 123 carries for an average of 4 yards per carry by our running backs only (4.8 YPC if you DO want to include the Giants game)

Striking all Wilson runs from the remaining 10 games and we rushed for 1177 yards on 253 carries - i.e. 4.7 YPC from our running backs ONLY.

So basically, without Wilson our running game was remarkably similar regardless of whether we include the Giants game - exclude that however and our running backs actually gained MORE yards per carry AND per game.

Now oddly enough, the Giants game and Chiefs games were 2 of the 3 that Carpenter missed and we had arguably our 2 best rushing games of the season.

But then both Carpenter AND Unger missed the Arizona game and we were sacked 7 times and rushed very poorly all game.

So what can we gather from this? Well - it's partially evident that without Unger and Carpenter at the same time we struggled - but it was against one of the toughest and most aggressive defenses in football - and a 1 game sample size. Without Carpenter but with Unger we got by fine, and without Unger but with Carpenter we got by fine. Presumably the combination of continuity and experience on the line mitigated the effect of having both out, but going with an inexperienced LG and C at the same time resulted in some issues. However, going ahead knowing that neither will be on the team means that we can prepare for this, and arguably (probabkly) improve without both players - if the FO didn't see it this way they'd be unlikely to release them in an area where we've struggled mightily for several years.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2xdscv5a said:
It's March 12th

Okung-Bailey-Lewis-Sweezy-Britt played several games last year and the outcome turned out fine.

I dont understand the overreaction

I agree, a lot of people are losing their minds over Unger leaving and citing the 1 yard difference in YPA as evidence of doom. Yet in the one of the few games he played in last year was that Beatdown of the Giants, we had 350 yards rushing, that game alones skews the figures. When you subtract out that game it's probably less than half a yard difference.
Furthermore, people seem to be forgetting the most important factor for success of a player-- That of availability. Under missed 13 games over the last 2 years. Which means he was missing from the lineup 40% of the time. That's not desirable. I'm fully confident we'll draft 2 players and bring in a few UDFA's to compete and we should be just fine.

I think we'll see Britt, Sweezy continue to develop on the right side and hopefully Okung can finally be healthy for a full year. Either way I see us drafted 2 and possibly a FA signing.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":p7h2e40u said:
For awhile I was confused by how little resources the Hawks were dedicating to the O-line.

Over time I've decided that it's part of their strategy, because it's too weird for it not to be.

Every team has units they emphasize and de-emphasize in terms of capital (be it draft or financial), and I think the Seahawks have just made the conscious decision that they'll pull resources from the offensive line and put it into other units (the secondary, the d-line).

It's really the only way to describe it.

And in a way I think it kind of makes sense:

*Lynch has already made it quite clear that he doesn't need a dominate O-Line to dominate (unlike a guy like DeMarco Murray, or as we learned with the Eagles line injuries last year, Lesean McCoy).

*The game planning and style of play of Wilson also doesn't require a dominate O-Line.

His passes are disproportionately of the (pre-snap) one read and throw variety, which doesn't require a dominate O-Line.

For passes that aren't of that style, Wilson still relies (too much IMO) on his internal clock and bails from the top of pocket at 3 seconds regardless of if he's getting pressure or not (rather than stepping into it if he is getting pressured or staying at the top of it if he isn't until he is). Maybe he does this because of his height, or because it's just the way he plays and PC accepts it, or because he hasn't learned how to do it yet. Regardless though, it's what he does, and it doesn't require a dominate O-Line if your QB plays that way. If anything the way that Wilson plays would really piss off lineman who are celebrated for their pass blocking ability.

So, I dunno, I think that's what's happening, and given the particularities of the skill players who could potentially be affected by it, I think it's actually a pretty smart strategy.
Pretty good way of looking at it,I see it just about the same as you..It's unconventional but that makes it function.This is why I don't sweat over the Oline like a lot do.It just works good enough to win.

Jville

Reaction score
Outside of run verses pass tendencies, this scrambling and extending and impromptitude era with Russell Wilson has parallels with the Jim Zorn era. Very similar fan reactions and impressions.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I dunno about that..Back then QBs didn't run like today.Zorny would run but he wasn't anywhere near RW.I can remember Zorn running and then forcing a pass at LOS-Interception and he did that a lot or he would get the ball slapped out.He did get a couple good runs but TO's made that moot.You also have to remember when Zorny played you didn't get a hit free slide.They was men back then.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
There's plenty of time to add pieces to the OL. The games don't count until September.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":228n09l4 said:
Kaep is a conundrum for sure, but he keeps DCs awake at night. The thing I am most curious about this year is to see if he is put back into the role of running QB who can pass, which is where I see him making the biggest impact.

Baalke has talked a lot about running the ball more in 2015. I think Kaepernick's proper usage, as you correctly outlined, is definitely a part of their desire to move that direction.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
We have had a mediocre offensive line for a couple years. I don't think that will change. We will continue to struggle against top tier defensive lines.

That being said, I don't think Unger is a massive loss. He has not been a pro bowl player for at least 2 years and center should not be a high priced position when you have a veteran QB.

In addition - we have 11 draft picks so we will definitely find a center or two.

Latest posts