So who ends up trading for Sherman

semiahmoo

Reaction score
The Sherman love has eroded greatly in here.

What has become of our once-beloved Legion of Boom????

Giphy[/quote]

thats my secret, I never loved Sherman[/quote]
-----------------------------

Giphy

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1as51evw said:
1. Well the Bucs reworked that contract with Sweezy to protect themselves against lingering injury risk. The new contract makes Sweezy pretty expendable.

2. Clinton McDonald is on the last year of his contract, was relegated to a back up with the Chris Baker addition. Both Baker and McCoy will be 3 down players at DT, so McDonald will see limited snaps. McDonald has also has been an oft-injured player for them playing 31 of 48 games. McDonald could just as well be cut after the pre-season if they want to go younger and develop some prospects with future control.

Sweezy and McDonald are hardly cornerstone players. I would say both are expendable for the Bucs at this point. Sweezy s reworked contract reflects that, where they can drop him with little financial backlash.

But they proved to be players with Seahawks.

And really loads of draft capital? Bucs lose 1 pick, and swap 2 others. Seahawks have been rumored in setting a 1st round and 3rd round pick or Player for Sherman.

I'm sure Bucs wouldn't mind parting ways with the likes of Sweezy and McDonald. Still holding onto a 1st Round and 3rd Round selections albeit down the board, losing only a 2nd round pick.

And why?

They played without Sweezy last year.
Baker at 320 is cosiderable upgrade over McDonald's 290, who allows McCoy to freelance a little bit more as disruptor rather than being the guy relied on to hold point.

And the Bucs get an All-Pro CB still in his prime, that plays with some swagger and moxie, to pair with a young Hergreaves, and allows Grimes to be expendable moving forward or push him to NCB where he might be better suited at this point of his career, and Sherman has been one of the best players in terms of helping to develop younger players at DB who the Bucs will surely add in this draft.

I mean would the Bucs rather have 29 year old Sherman or roll the dice on Brent Grimes to put in another quality year at the age of 34?

With the Atlanta Falcons with thier high-flying offense and the Panthers (assuming they make a bounce back) with thier lengthy receivers likely the teams in the division with enough or more talent to compete with the Bucs for the NFC South. Sherman would be a huge get for them.

Furthermore, Sherman doesnt just impact the Defense for them, he'll make Winston and the WRs even better too. Mike Evans is already damn good.

Sherman makes 9-7 2016 team... better.

With all that said, I don't feel Sherman will be traded, but the OP asked a question, I gave my best thought out response in regards to it. In what I felt it would take for me.

Oh

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seymour":1q6ty0jm said:
It's being reported that the asking price for Sherman is now dropping. Doesn't sound like a team that REALLY wants to hold onto Sherm to me.

and as Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk noted Tuesday, the Seattle Seahawks are reportedly dropping their asking price for him as they look to complete a deal.
Isn't Florio consistently wrong about things????

Rat

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3k45csub said:
Seymour":3k45csub said:
It's being reported that the asking price for Sherman is now dropping. Doesn't sound like a team that REALLY wants to hold onto Sherm to me.

and as Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk noted Tuesday, the Seattle Seahawks are reportedly dropping their asking price for him as they look to complete a deal.

Not really. Used to be in the early days of PFT, but he's pretty well connected now.

I hope he's wrong though. I don't care what we get, I like Sherman on the team and don't want him moved.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":29iud6aq said:
Seymour":29iud6aq said:

Saw that. Florio is usually on the mark these days. His take might be legit.

Not happy to see Sherman go, but I do understand if it happens.

Legion of Boom has been gone for some time, regardless. Last couple seasons it has just been a solid secondary. Without Thomas it was merely OK. Became clear Thomas was overall the far stronger contributor to the D.

chris98251

Reaction score
Florio jumps on anything and will inflate anything to do with the Seahawks, he beats the demise drum regularly, if his Little Birds find something concrete he is all over it like white on rice and stink on shit trying to pump it up with a negative twist if it's the Seahawks.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":khzc0wpr said:
Florio jumps on anything and will inflate anything to do with the Seahawks, he beats the demise drum regularly, if his Little Birds find something concrete he is all over it like white on rice and stink on shit trying to pump it up with a negative twist if it's the Seahawks.
Kind of viewed him as Prisco-lite, with less snark, but that's just me. 8)

Seymour

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2tmum1uj said:
Seymour":2tmum1uj said:

Not so much anymore. But, he is only passing along what someone else is reporting here.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...wks-asking-price-for-richard-sherman-is-steep

Appearing on Tuesday's edition of Good Morning Football, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo doubled down on that message, stressing that it will take a first-round draft pick and another mid-round pick to coax Seattle into parting with Sherman

RiverDog

Reaction score
These trade rumors aren't just idle talk or one reporter repeating what the other said. Here's what our own GM John Schneider said about a possible Sherman trade:

"What you've seen lately in the news is real. That's on both sides," in regard to recent rumblings that teams have inquired about Sherman.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ ... d-46597051

I'm still of the opinion that a trade is less likely than it is likely, but there's no denying that there's some serious talks going on. So don't be surprised if you wake up one morning and see Sherman holding up a #25 of a different color.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
IMO, Sherman is all but gone. I believe he'll be traded for a first round pick, on draft day. Although he is still a great player, I believe he has lost something, not sure if it's desire or skill though. He will be traded to a team that he perceives as a contender but we'll not hear much more about him and he'll quietly fade away. One of Sherm's biggest weapons was always his mouth and mind, last season those turned against our team when things didn't go according to "his" plan, that's where all of this comes from and I can see him getting loud with a new team to get some attention but I just don't see him lighting that spark that he created a few years back in Seattle ever again.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
None of us have an idea how it is behind closed door. However, IF it is Sherm that asked for a trade, and that's a big if, then trade him. But on YOUR terms, not his. In fact, if Sherm truly wants to be traded, send him to Cleveland.
You think he's a whiner now.......

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3qadrx38 said:
None of us have an idea how it is behind closed door.

Yeah... i think there is a lot of posturing going on here, without much else

time will tell soon enough

They aren't trading him after the draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2a8zgzn7 said:
None of us have an idea how it is behind closed door......

Of course not, but we can gleam that sort of information from what's going on publicly.

If Pete's numerous attempts last year to speak to Richard in private and get him back on board were successful, we're not having these conversations about him being traded, asked for by him or not.

That tells us that the relationship is not where Pete, John and Richard want it to be..........and more importantly it tells us that the relationship is far from salvageable.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17reqddj said:
SoulfishHawk":17reqddj said:

Of course not, but we can gleam that sort of information from what's going on publicly.

If Pete's numerous attempts last year to speak to Richard in private and get him back on board were successful, we're not having these conversations about him being traded, asked for by him or not.

That tells us that the relationship is not where Pete, John and Richard want it to be..........and more importantly it tells us that the relationship is far from salvageable.

why is it far from salvageable?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1f0e8ltq said:
Sgt. Largent":1f0e8ltq said:
SoulfishHawk":1f0e8ltq said:

Because the rumors that Richard asks to be traded and the fact that Schneider is speaking about this publicly tells me they've arrived at an impasse, on both sides.

Do you honestly think Richard has the capacity to arrive at camp happy, content and ready to not be a distraction after his team publicly tried to trade him unsuccessfully? I sure don't.

I hope I'm wrong, but IMO Sherman doesn't have the personal makeup to absorb that kind of humility. In fact, I would expect him to double down on the nonsense.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":dtz1bfs9 said:
Uncle Si":dtz1bfs9 said:
Sgt. Largent":dtz1bfs9 said:
SoulfishHawk":dtz1bfs9 said:

Because the rumors that Richard asks to be traded and the fact that Schneider is speaking about this publicly tells me they've arrived at an impasse, on both sides.

Do you honestly think Richard has the capacity to arrive at camp happy, content and ready to not be a distraction after his team publicly tried to trade him unsuccessfully? I sure don't.

I hope I'm wrong, but IMO Sherman doesn't have the personal makeup to absorb that kind of humility. In fact, I would expect him to double down on the nonsense.

True. When the GM is talking shop openly about player personnel, you know things have gone south.

They might have a "one more season" sit down kind of thing, but that likely doesn't bode well for the season moving forward should Sherman stay.

And of course, we should all remember the warnings of this off-season being a particularly contentious one that were made by the wiser members of this little forum some months ago.

The burden of both wisdom and insight are great...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
semiahmoo":jeqoddap said:
Sgt. Largent":jeqoddap said:
Uncle Si":jeqoddap said:
Sgt. Largent":jeqoddap said:

True. When the GM is talking shop openly about player personnel, you know things have gone south.

They might have a "one more season" sit down kind of thing, but that likely doesn't bode well for the season moving forward should Sherman stay.

And of course, we should all remember the warnings of this off-season being a particularly contentious one that were made by the wiser members of this little forum some months ago.

The burden of both wisdom and insight are great...

You continue to make people apathetic about your opinions by continuing to insult them.

I'm kind of wondering when you're going to figure out how to actually get people on your side.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
chris98251":1c1uoat5 said:

FWIW 9ers fans think the same thing about Florio except about the 9ers, and one time I was talking to a Raiders fan and he said the same thing except about the Raiders.

I think he might just be pretty consistently banging war drums about everyone, and each of us are just only mostly seeing it for our own teams. ;) :2thumbs:

In any case, pretending for a second that this IS true and the Hawks are dropping their asking price, sheesh, I didn't think moving Sherman was that serious. Very surprising to me if true (and again, the HUGE caveat of "if true").

As has been said a few times over the past couple weeks though, I think the teams for whom Sherman is as valuable as he is to the Seahawks are pretty far and few between, meaning that trade negotiations were always going to be a bit of a challenge. Given what he's excellent at (and where he sometimes struggles) he's simply worth more to the Seahawks than he is to most teams, IMO (really a perfect match of player and scheme).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3dyah5kr said:
Uncle Si":3dyah5kr said:
Sgt. Largent":3dyah5kr said:
SoulfishHawk":3dyah5kr said:

You're talking about rumors though.

Sherman may end up at camp unhappy but motivated to show the team his true value. Maybe he won't. Suggesting the relationship is not salvageable based on conjecture is a reach for me.

We see this more often then people are admitting with players from other teams. Hell, the Cowboys have employed a couple of wide receivers in the last decade that were on the edge of being traded.