Steve Hutchinson

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Hollandhawk":23427a7i said:
OkieHawk":23427a7i said:
Furthermore, we were no different when we did the same thing to the Vikings for Burleson, but people tend to overlook that bit of our history. :roll:

Which was pretty much to show the ridiculousness of these kind of deals and after that they got banned. And You trying to say it's the Vikings' fault and not Hutchinson's is just ridiculous.. He wasn't forced to sign.

It wasn't to show the ridiculousness of the poison pills, it was a petty revenge move by Ruskell and the FO.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Yes it was petty but It was because after raping us for Hutch the Vikings then wanted compensation for Burleson. The poison pill did say FU to the Vikings and the league but it also closed the compensation request.

I agree with the above though. From all reports Hutch was playing nice with Timmy leading him to believe he just wanted to shop his value. Timmy fell for it and tried to do right by Hutch by allowing him to shop his services and Hutch within 24 hours signed the poison pill. Hutch is guilty as sin of causing the whole fiasco.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think there's a couple takeaways from the Hutch story:

1) If you actually want to keep a player use the franchise tag, because theRFA or transition tags can create bad blood and things can go haywire. This is the way my job does it. If they want to keep you, they never even let you get out the door for the interview because they know that even if you're not planning on leaving things can change really quickly once you're getting flattered by new suitors.

2) The NFL was right to take poison pills out of RFA and transition negotiations, but at the end of the day, it was a net-neutral for the Seahawks, as they turned around and used it in such a ridiculous way (Burleson's whole contract was guaranteed if he played five games in a year in the state of Minnesota, LOL) that it broke the whole thing and forced the NFL to do something it never should have allowed in the first place.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2ozgin8b said:
Yes it was petty but It was because after raping us for Hutch the Vikings then wanted compensation for Burleson. The poison pill did say FU to the Vikings and the league but it also closed the compensation request.

I agree with the above though. From all reports Hutch was playing nice with Timmy leading him to believe he just wanted to shop his value. Timmy fell for it and tried to do right by Hutch by allowing him to shop his services and Hutch within 24 hours signed the poison pill. Hutch is guilty as sin of causing the whole fiasco.

I don't get how Hutch wanting to get paid was a bad thing. Ruskell was known to not want to pay OL their due, the only exception to that was Big Walt, and even that was because he wasn't completely insane. To minimize the value of Hutch was pretty crazy though, and just illustrated how little he knew about personnel. But, people will believe what they want, that is what fans (myself included) do.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2p31zbxn said:
I've never fully understood how Hutch is so hated still. He felt slighted by the organization and decided to go with the money. Ruskell should have paid the man, he deserved it.
How do you feel about ARod? Steroids aside

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2middwvu said:
OkieHawk":2middwvu said:
I've never fully understood how Hutch is so hated still. He felt slighted by the organization and decided to go with the money. Ruskell should have paid the man, he deserved it.

That's an awesome comparison as far as negotiations went. I don't think Steve was nearly the ass in his everyday life like Alex was.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Because Hutch would have got paid by Seattle the same money plus wouldn't have had to pay employment tax. In the end he took less.

Russell was an idiot but the sole purpose of the transition tag was to let Hutch feel like he got top dollar. Seattle tried to match including restructuring Walt to try and meet the demands of the pill.

Popeye the 5 games thing was no worse than saying he would have to be the highest paid O-lineman at the moment he signed the offer sheet. Knowing full well that Seattle couldn't match. Seattle purposely made theirs to look like a joke as an insult to the league that upheld the pill clause even as stupid as it was. They were trying to get the league to do something about a stupid clause.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":kgz96qek said:
OkieHawk":kgz96qek said:

To be honest I could care less about A-rod. I stopped watching baseball over two decades ago.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hutch wanted to stay in Seattle,
Ruskell lied to him, and to Holgrem. Rusk promised him the franchise tag and while Holmgrem was vacationing, applied the transaction tag.

You may look at it as the Hawks saying find the best deal, we will match it, or, another way of saying it is, the Hawks didn't really care about Hutch and let Hutch go out and find his own deal.

If a company you worked for ever told you that, I'm pretty sure you would take it as you are not really needed anymore, quite insulting actually.

I did read where Hutch was quite devastated by Ruskell,. He wasn't screwing the fans, he was screwing Ruskell.

I don't blame Hutch at all for what he did.

Latest posts