Now that Pete is no longer HC, do we roll with Geno?

N3putts@

Reaction score
We do not roll with Geno. We draft a QB and let him learn during a true rebuilding year.
This team is a decent O-line and D-Line from contending. Start there. QB is the least of the needs. Whoever inherits this team is falling into a great situation. Normally you don't get to come in and coach a team over .500.

GemCity

Reaction score
Unless JS loves a guy, roll with Geno and draft defense….a lot of defense.

This could be a process. Down to build it out from the trenches again!

Mase

Reaction score
-- This type of total staff make over does not lend itself to just roll with the vet. Unless he is kept as a stop gap while a rookie is developed. If you get a veteran defensive coach, maybe he stays. If you get some young offensive "whizzkid", he will want his own QB.

-- DEAR GOD, not Bo Nix.

Mase

GemCity

Reaction score
Geno did as well as he did in part because of his familiarity with the system in place. Could he learn a new system in a few months? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet more than $20M on it. On the other hand, if you bring in someone to take his place that guy will have to learn a new system too, so...
I'd think hard about letting Geno, keeping Lock, and draft a QB in this year AND next year draft, but we HAVE TO FOCUS on fixing the trenches.
💯

Mad Dog

Reaction score
You keep Smith because he outplays his contract. People saying roll with Lock seem to forget that Lock is a FA and likely would demand 15-20 million to be brought in to start.

But they should draft a QB and 6 big mean guys this year. All front seven and OL. Find some FA safeties on the cheap and dump Adams and Diggs.

James in PA

Reaction score
NO to Geno unless as a (very) short term bridge while developing a rook. We need an offensive minded HC and an upgrade at QB.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
All of this will depend on the new HC and their system. Geno may not be a fit for whatever the HC's vision may be. I could see him being a cap casualty. Unfortunately, I don't think we're in the range for a top tier QB without a blockbuster trade.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
It will take Geno another 10 years to learn a new system and that's if the new coach is even here that long.

Geno still hasn't fully grasped the offense he was trained in since he arrived here.

Geno calls very few audibles at the line because he still can't read defenses.

If Lock and Geno are still here and both started in a new offense from scratch, I would say Lock will learn it faster.

Lock is younger, faster, and has a better arm than Geno.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
I think Pete had his faults but he seemed to do well with his QBs as long as they stayed on script. Russell did not. He favored the skilled position but abandoned the line IMO. The line is where the game is one. I was an old offensive guard and I guess I am biased in that direction.

Hotchy

Reaction score
New coach will draft his guy. And his job will be determined on that QBs success. Happens all the time. They'll keep Geno for next season and that's probably it. Lock is a goner

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
-- This type of total staff make over does not lend itself to just roll with the vet. Unless he is kept as a stop gap while a rookie is developed. If you get a veteran defensive coach, maybe he stays. If you get some young offensive "whizzkid", he will want his own QB.

-- DEAR GOD, not Bo Nix.

Mase
great post. my vote for post of the day.