Take the win but that fake punt was horrible play calling

chris98251

Reaction score
semiahmoo":497vxz5r said:
sutz":497vxz5r said:
rjdriver":497vxz5r said:
I agree with the OP but respect the other opinions. What bothers me is why take that play off the shelf and expose it when you may need it in a crucial game during the playoffs? It was a complete waste and unnecessary risk. Fisher isn't there anymore, nothing to prove.

On the other hand, I'm giddy about the memes that are surely to come.
The flip side is that every team on our schedule will now have to think about and plan for it. ;)

YUP. There was no rubbing salt in a wound because the coach we wanted to do that to was not standing on the opposite sideline. A foolish call.

Would much rather have it used, sight unseen, against NE in the Super Bowl for a 20 yard gain and another first down on our way to marching down the field for a TD and a second title.

But maybe that's just me... :twisted:

You use what you can when a team gives it to you, if the edge guys were not going with the gunners you throw a pass like the Rams did it's all about what you see in the film or what you see in a half as far as blocking assignments.

TAB420

Reaction score
Pete was like...sweep the leg. I love this call.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
getnasty":24pkymtt said:
Steve2222":24pkymtt said:
I don't understand how anyone could be upset at that. There was literally nobody, I say again nobody, in the middle of the field......

I just feel like it's rubbing it in a bit, had it been Jeff Fischer I would have loved it. No need to call that against a guy who's never coached a game in his life.

You mean the guy who was the Rams' Special Teams coach, and who designed all those trick plays against us the last few years?

BlueThunder

Reaction score
getnasty":2mkt7d9a said:
Steve2222":2mkt7d9a said:
I don't understand how anyone could be upset at that. There was literally nobody, I say again nobody, in the middle of the field......

I just feel like it's rubbing it in a bit, had it been Jeff Fischer I would have loved it. No need to call that against a guy who's never coached a game in his life.

Wait... What? No... You rub that shit in.... deep into the dirt... EVERY TIME... ESPECIALLY against division rivals... I think ping-pong may be your sport... no offense....

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Cartire":2layohew said:
My eyes cant roll enough anymore.

I hear ya.

But wait... maybe they're onto something!

"I don't see why they throw to Graham at all. Save that for the Super Bowl when they won't expect it at all!"

"I don't see why they don't just have Lockett fair catch every ball and save the run backs for the playoffs when it counts!"

Hey, maybe just maybe, they saw the opportunity for a huge play that actually worked well, even with Ryan's fumbling the ball as he ran. I saw a huge hole up the middle with an opportunity for long yardage when we needed short yardage. And we got it.

But somehow it was a horrible call. :229031_shrug:

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3p5st57o said:
getnasty":3p5st57o said:
Steve2222":3p5st57o said:

You mean the guy who was the Rams' Special Teams coach, and who designed all those trick plays against us the last few years?

Well, yeah, maybe that was it.

As a fan, I see how a play like that makes people hoot n holler, but tactically, I don't know.

Bevell's overall play schemes are very weird. We sort of plod around and then every once and a while lately, he's been throwing out a cutesy play, as if he's trying to prove something to his detractors.

Don't like it.

What I would like is a game against a quality opponent where we can all say the Hawks clearly outcoached the opposition and right now, I can't think of one this season.

Happy to take suggestions though...

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":7eszxt7k said:

I could see the Rams being upset and immediately start headhunting. Russ should have been taken out immediately after that play.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
semiahmoo":33qzp54q said:
sutz":33qzp54q said:
rjdriver":33qzp54q said:
I agree with the OP but respect the other opinions. What bothers me is why take that play off the shelf and expose it when you may need it in a crucial game during the playoffs? It was a complete waste and unnecessary risk. Fisher isn't there anymore, nothing to prove.

On the other hand, I'm giddy about the memes that are surely to come.
The flip side is that every team on our schedule will now have to think about and plan for it. ;)

YUP. There was no rubbing salt in a wound because the coach we wanted to do that to was not standing on the opposite sideline. A foolish call.

Would much rather have it used, sight unseen, against NE in the Super Bowl for a 20 yard gain and another first down on our way to marching down the field for a TD and a second title.

But maybe that's just me... :twisted:

I don't think those kinds of plays are saved in the coaches' back pocket for the perfect situation when they are simply needed. Far more likely they saw something significant in the punt coverage that provided opportunity, and thought, "Why not?" Highly unlikely New England would afford the same opportunity for success, and the play would fail 10/10, whether it was in a needy situation or not.

getnasty

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2h4s7qg4 said:
getnasty":2h4s7qg4 said:
Steve2222":2h4s7qg4 said:

They never ran one against us up 21 with 5 minutes to go in the game. I'm just saying there was no point to running it other then rubbing it in a little. Maybe that's what Pete was going for.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It was an epically perfect call against a coach that has done so many of those trick special teams plays against us.

If there is one thing I have hated about the Hawks over the last few years is the refusal to put the foot on the neck and never take it off.

Today we did that.

Love the call. That Ram defender should be looking at a big fine next week.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/guga31bb/status/809614597477044224[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/taddmike/status/809615985409921024[/tweet]

drcool

Reaction score
I am wondering if this was just Ryan seeing absolutely nobody in the middle of the field and taking off himself. Are we sure it was a call from the sideline?

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
bigskydoc":376sfpia said:
Send a message to the rest of the league that the bully is back.

Hear ya, but rather see our bullying ways be hard hitting, hard running, takeaways, and touchdowns, not seeing John Ryan gigging his way down the field.

Hope he's ok.

Still, we won tonight, won the division, and have a shot at 2nd seed.

I'll take it!

Steve2222

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1zjclxe8 said:
Steve2222":1zjclxe8 said:

I could see the Rams being upset and immediately start headhunting. Russ should have been taken out immediately after that play.

That stuff isn't going to happen. Players don't want to get suspended and fined. Not to mention their D coordinator Greg William is known around the league for bountygate.