Take the win but that fake punt was horrible play calling

nash72

Reaction score
It was a jerk call. There's 6 minutes left and up by 21 points and fake punts are being called? Kick the ball and show some dignity. The only thing that play accomplished was getting Ryan hurt and giving the Rams a reason to take cheap shots. Not needed.

Reaction score
nash72":3cia0w6i said:
It was a jerk call. There's 6 minutes left and up by 21 points and fake punts are being called? Kick the ball and show some dignity. The only thing that play accomplished was getting Ryan hurt and giving the Rams a reason to take cheap shots. Not needed.
Sorry but I dont agree what if Austin takes it to the house. 5 minutes left down by 14 you never know what could happen. We were not moving the ball on the ground at all. I have seen teams come back from that.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I doubt it was a specific call. They probably had an automatic fake on if they got a certain look from the Rams punt return unit, and on this particular punt it was there.

Either way it was awesome, I was disappointed we couldn't score a TD after it just because I wanted to humiliate these guys.

getnasty

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2l2r76b1 said:
I doubt it was a specific call. They probably had an automatic fake on if they got a certain look from the Rams punt return unit, and on this particular punt it was there.

Either way it was awesome, I was disappointed we couldn't score a TD after it just because I wanted to humiliate these guys.

Once again Pete said it was called on the sideline.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2fh76bdc said:
semiahmoo":2fh76bdc said:
Way too cute, way too dangerous on so many levels.

Is it Bevell or Schneider who makes that call? I assume Bevell? And if you're Pete, do you have a chance for final say and give a big "no" in that scenario? I would think so.

Ryan goes down, the Rams likely pissed because it feels like Hawks are trying to run up the score, it's calls like that that make Seattle seem so damn stupid sometimes.

Division Champs, a "W", (sloppy as it was) but man, we didn't need that particularly idiotic play calling.

And on a related note, seeing Bennett go down like he did was damn scary. His head snapped backwards in that possible neck/spine injury kind of way. So glad to see him get up and walk off under his own power. Guy is a warrior.

All Ryan had to do was slide. His call, nobody else's at that point. Misplaced blame in your post.

exactly!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
907Hawk":1p8me80u said:
There was nothing wrong with the call, its called football enjoy it. This thread on the other hand was the most horrible thread of the night.
:2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

aawolf

Reaction score
Someone should have probably told Ryan the correct way to hold the ball while running...its been a while since pee wee football, but the first thing you learn is to carry the ball securely under your arm with your finger on the point so it doesn't slip out. Its too bad that every cool thing Ryan does makes him look goofy. Remember the throw on the fake FG?

mistaowen

Reaction score
YYZHawksFan":z2s9egsu said:
Ad Hawk":z2s9egsu said:
semiahmoo":z2s9egsu said:
Way too cute, way too dangerous on so many levels.

Is it Bevell or Schneider who makes that call? I assume Bevell? And if you're Pete, do you have a chance for final say and give a big "no" in that scenario? I would think so.

Ryan goes down, the Rams likely pissed because it feels like Hawks are trying to run up the score, it's calls like that that make Seattle seem so damn stupid sometimes.

Division Champs, a "W", (sloppy as it was) but man, we didn't need that particularly idiotic play calling.

And on a related note, seeing Bennett go down like he did was damn scary. His head snapped backwards in that possible neck/spine injury kind of way. So glad to see him get up and walk off under his own power. Guy is a warrior.

All Ryan had to do was slide. His call, nobody else's at that point. Misplaced blame in your post.

exactly!

Yeah.... I don't really know what to say to this thread.

Offense struggled to burn clock on a long game ending drive, special teams sees a weakness, calls a play that works beautifully, and essentially ices the game. Rams call ST trick plays all the time, I wouldn't be shocked if their interim coach laughed at what we pulled off. If Ryan doesn't lose control of the ball and just slides down he doesn't end up in the hospital. It was a great play call.

Reaction score
Wanted to add that the play was the best blocking I have seen all year from this team. We should be proud!

Schadie001

Reaction score
Great call, great execution, terrible finish by Ryan. Had the ball not suddenly look like it was greased, he would have seen the defender coming hard to his right and protected himself. Perfect storm with the ball led to him getting destroyed. But hey they ALL have on pads and helmets, this IS still football I think, where defenders at this point can still hit someone with the ball. Ryan's fault at the end of a brilliant play call at the right time.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
John was getting too fancy and was apparently trying to change hands Christine Micael style, his fumblerooskie will be all over the highlights this week. He's going to take some kidding this week.

Sure hope he didn't yet his bell rung too hard, I love the guy and think he's an incredibly consistent and good punter and deserves to be the in the convo as one of top punters in the league. He needs to work on switching hands with the ball as a RB.

Man did the Rams ever leave a huge hole up the middle, if any team does that they deserve to have it exploited. I'm in the great play school though it would have sucked if JR had turned the ball over. My excitement was turned to trepidation after Ryan got his bell rung.

12thbrah

Reaction score
That call was pure gamesmanship. Regardless of the score we have a history with the Rams and their special teams unit.

McGruff

Reaction score
As fans we routinely blast this team and coaching staff for "playing safe" late in games and "not stepping on their throats."

And then when they take a risk and drive a dagger, we blast them still. It's a no win situation.

As far as who gets credit, a play call like this is on Pete and no one else. Only the head coach gets to decide a play like that.

zchurch74

Reaction score
Great play call. Just tell Ryan to get down. I think about half way thru his run he really thought he could take it all the way to the house. Then reality set it and he almost blew his load at the 50 yard line and we all saw what happened.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":24jwv5sm said:
Loved the play. Save the play - whatever. You take those when they give them to you.
Also running up the score??? What is that. The should always being trying to score no matter the score. I don't care that they are up by 40 points we should be trying to score.
I also don't think they were trying to run up score anyways. From the play calls they made at the end of game they were just trying to get a first down and it worked so well they got a huge gain. They were just running the clock out that that point.

Exactly, it wasn't about running up the score it was about maintaining possession. The Rams tee'd it up so they took a swing, I'm sure they didn't expect Ryan to bust a 20 plus run. His fumbling the ball was the only reason he took that hit.

Horrible? No man, it's the NFL and the call was magnificent. :2thumbs:

zchurch74

Reaction score
Brok and Salk have been talking about a picture of Ryan right when he lost control of the ball. I think its out on twitter. Can someone please post?

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
nash72":chh93g7h said:

Agreed. A fun call? Sure.
A smart one? No.

Not needed, too cute, and overall, just another sign of odd play-calling from the sideline. (confirmed via Pete himself.)

I understand people wanting to support the call because it's fun, but between fun and smart, smart will get us further in the playoffs and smart is what has so often been lacking from our offensive decisions too often of late.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
semiahmoo":n2enyvs3 said:
nash72":n2enyvs3 said:

Agreed. A fun call? Sure.
A smart one? No.

Not needed, too cute, and overall, just another sign of odd play-calling from the sideline. (confirmed via Pete himself.)

I understand people wanting to support the call because it's fun, but between fun and smart, smart will get us further in the playoffs and smart is what has so often been lacking from our offensive decisions too often of late.

Why do we assume this call was only for "fun" and not for a game management purpose?

What other offensive decisions were not smart?

Latest posts