Take the win but that fake punt was horrible play calling

OpHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":cmx4xe00 said:
HawkFan72":cmx4xe00 said:
getnasty":cmx4xe00 said:
Steve2222":cmx4xe00 said:
I don't understand how anyone could be upset at that. There was literally nobody, I say again nobody, in the middle of the field......

I just feel like it's rubbing it in a bit, had it been Jeff Fischer I would have loved it. No need to call that against a guy who's never coached a game in his life.

You mean the guy who was the Rams' Special Teams coach, and who designed all those trick plays against us the last few years?

They never ran one against us up 21 with 5 minutes to go in the game. I'm just saying there was no point to running it other then rubbing it in a little. Maybe that's what Pete was going for.

Therefore they wouldn't have if given the chance? Sorry I don't feel bad for the rams that continually beat us a trick plays.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Well, it can't be dismissed that for the "hah-hah payback" fake punt, we might lose Ryan for a bit. Hopefully not, but if he's out for even one game, and if that absence might contribute to our losing the 2nd seed, then who really won on that play?

I'd say it sure as hell wasn't the Hawks.

If Ryan ever has a chance to do that again, pretty sure he'll take the quick slide next time.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2argxlb0 said:
Ryan has 9 days to recover. He will be fine.

Ah, good point!

If there's a shot of him making a face while he's running, he'll be meme-magic once again.

Poor bastard.

Never ceases to amaze me how small he looks when watching him on TV, but then you stand next to him, and though shorter than me, the dude is jacked and has shoulders the width of a door frame.

Hope those 9 days bring him back. He's actually one of my favorite Hawks on this team.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
He was making funny faces for quite a bit of the run. Dude is going to be a derp legend once again.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Loved the play. Save the play - whatever. You take those when they give them to you.
Also running up the score??? What is that. The should always being trying to score no matter the score. I don't care that they are up by 40 points we should be trying to score.
I also don't think they were trying to run up score anyways. From the play calls they made at the end of game they were just trying to get a first down and it worked so well they got a huge gain. They were just running the clock out that that point.

sc85sis

Reaction score
They make the call and let the guys in the field go for it if they see the look they want. From the replay it looked brilliant. JR lost the handle on the ball or there wouldn't have been any issue.

Sure hope he's OK.

potatohead

Reaction score
It was a brilliant call for about five different reasons... Up until the ghost of Jeff Fisher stripped the ball out.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
It was the right call, put the Rams and the league on blast. I hope Ryan is okay.

907Hawk

Reaction score
There was nothing wrong with the call, its called football enjoy it. This thread on the other hand was the most horrible thread of the night.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":19nfohnd said:
getnasty":19nfohnd said:
Steve2222":19nfohnd said:
I don't understand how anyone could be upset at that. There was literally nobody, I say again nobody, in the middle of the field......

I just feel like it's rubbing it in a bit, had it been Jeff Fischer I would have loved it. No need to call that against a guy who's never coached a game in his life.

You mean the guy who was the Rams' Special Teams coach, and who designed all those trick plays against us the last few years?
Yep^, The Rams ST Coach has been drawing up plays EXACTLY like that one and using them on us quite a bit, and the fact that the Rams having beaten us in our last three meetings by throwing in plays like this, makes for some feel good.
:stirthepot: Aaron Donald really got his nose bent out of shape for the near shut out.
The Seahawks laid it on thick to the Cocky "Play this game hard for Jeff Fischer" gang....Several Rams players lost their cool....To them I say you can dish it out, but can't take it eh?
I guarantee you that IF the shoe was on the other foot, they'd have run up the score on the Seahawks, so I was pleased as pie that Ryan scorched the Rams on their kind of play.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
semiahmoo":qowiytqe said:
Way too cute, way too dangerous on so many levels.

Is it Bevell or Schneider who makes that call? I assume Bevell? And if you're Pete, do you have a chance for final say and give a big "no" in that scenario? I would think so.

Ryan goes down, the Rams likely pissed because it feels like Hawks are trying to run up the score, it's calls like that that make Seattle seem so damn stupid sometimes.

Division Champs, a "W", (sloppy as it was) but man, we didn't need that particularly idiotic play calling.

And on a related note, seeing Bennett go down like he did was damn scary. His head snapped backwards in that possible neck/spine injury kind of way and he goes limp. So glad to see him get up and walk off under his own power. Guy is a warrior.
I rarely come here anymore so don't know you at all but I am going to mention that if you want to be taken seriously you might want to have a better understanding of how the Seattle Seahawks team structure works. I'm sure enough that John Schneider has never called a play in a game for this team that I'd be willing to wager a month's pay on it. Might want to educate yourself so you don't look foolish.

RedAlice

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3ofglncy said:
getnasty":3ofglncy said:
Steve2222":3ofglncy said:

Yep.

I have been saying - this was to Fassel. Not Fisher.

Seafan

Reaction score
Great play call and better than anything Bevell has served up on 4th down all year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
You guys need to remember that trick plays are typically called in response to specific looks by the defense, not just willy-nilly or in response to down and distance or game situation. Remember the fake FG to Garry Gilliam in the 2014 NFCCG? Same thing. They didn't just decide they wanted a TD out of the blue; Green Bay showed a look they liked and Pete pulled the trigger. Unless he's said something else after the game, it was probably the same thing here.

Taehwk

Reaction score
I highly doubt this play was called. They probably saw something in film study and told Ryan if the Rams line up a certain way to go for it. It just happened to align perfectly for him while the hawks had a comfortable lead. To say horrible call and rubbing it is not accurate. Pete Carroll probably approved of the play during the week thinking that the game was going to be close and we would have little success moving the ball. Given the results of the previous games against the rams where the game was decided by less than a touchdown to have this game planned and to exploit it when the situation arose was probably discussed. Is it his fault that the opportunity revealed itself when we were up by 21? I don't believe for a second Pete Carrol had thoughts of running up the score considering our defense was playing against a putrid rams offense.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":18vel8yf said:
FlyHawksFly":18vel8yf said:
I am guessing he is referring to Brian Schneider, the special teams coach.
OK then, that makes sense. My bad.

LOL.

He came at me so hard, and then...wilted.

It's all good though.

Redsand187

Reaction score
It's a show. The game was at home, they had it in the bag, and time on the clock. Do you give the fans a boring punt that has no bearing on the game. It's boring. Or do you pull out a trick play that will probably work and get the crowd even more excited? Plays like that are memory builders for the fans. They don't have much impact on the game, but they sure are fun to watch.

Running Jon Ryan up the center of a wide open field doesn't seem very risky. The dude is built like truck, he's not some flimsy punter, so I'm sure they weren't worried about any incidental contact. Him bobbling the ball and getting rocked was not something you'd really expect to happen.

Luckily, it appears that he is okay. I can't wait to see what his next amazing feat will be.