Ten things I am watching for in preseason game #2

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Great list, kearly.

I'll add Chris Harper as a guy I'll be watching closely and his battle to convince the team to keep 6 receivers. I thought he wasn't given much opportunities last game to really show himself and maybe that's on him, but now that Phil Bates is moving to FB and losing his snaps at receiver, I'm expecting him more involved with the offense too see where he fits.

Atradees

Reaction score
I am not worried about Jesse yet. Hill Ill be watching I just like his game. Hope the oline gets a boost this year.
Ty Powell can make this team.

Thanks for your take.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":b9hj3u4b said:
Great list, kearly.

I'll add Chris Harper as a guy I'll be watching closely and his battle to convince the team to keep 6 receivers. I thought he wasn't given much opportunities last game to really show himself and maybe that's on him, but now that Phil Bates is moving to FB and losing his snaps at receiver, I'm expecting him more involved with the offense too see where he fits.

I'm really hoping that Harper is used more this game at WR as well. I really think this kid is special and will be a big play maker.

the_12th_man

Reaction score
Oh I don't disagree with you on Mike Morgan on any point you made. I would very much like to see him return to the LB position. I just speculating that it seems he and Mayowa are fighting for the same spot. And with the linebacker group getting crowded as it is with the emergence of Braford and Lotulelei along with Irvin, Smith, Wagner, Wright, and possible spot duties by Avril. I'm really doubt their is a spot for him to return to. Of course he's versatility may make the case for himself. I also am starting to really get intrigued by the preseason games. Thanks for the write up Kearly.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I want to see an improvement from our TE's. We need Willson and McGrath to step up and show their worth. We're gonna need these guys to show up this year...

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I'm looking to see if Thurmond is just slow. He looked it last game. Slow slow slow. Is it that he's actually slow, or is he protecting the legs? I don't think he can win on this, because if he plays slower to avoid an injury then he will look BAD (which he did last game) and will lose his spot. If he goes full bore and gets injured in the process, then of course we come back to the "guy is made of glass" thing. He's kind of in a no win. I was shocked at how awful he looked after how talented he looked at Oregon and in his few healthy stretches with the Hawks.

Secondly, I'll be watching T-Jack and Quinn closely, because I'm sure we'll get a very healthy dose of it. T-Jack did everything a backup QB is supposed to last week and then some. I think in a lot of ways Quinn did too though. He protected the ball and moved the team. What do you expect out of a 2nd stringer?

I think in a lot of ways Quinn looked like a Dilfer type that can come in and be a cool head and keep the team focused and just keep playing without him carrying anybody. That's a good thing for him. He looked calm and collected. I am not concerned about his mechanics (some are calling him out for it... but he is what he is... a backup).

T-Jack looked like a guy that could come in and win a game where the starter is laying an egg though, and that's a different ballgame. Dave Krieg was that way under Zorn and eventually supplanted him. Am I saying that T-Jack is breathing down Russ' neck and in line to supplant him? Far from it. What I am saying is that if he puts up three more games like that then it could get very uncomfortable with other teams calling and offering a draft pick and Schneid having to think long and hard about whether he trades the guy again, or keeps him as a good backup insurance policy and to keep the team happy. I hope TJ has some say in what happens if he lights it up and do they do contemplate trading him. He's earned that much with his loyalty I think.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'd like to see RW and the first team O move the ball without Russ having to extend the play.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":u0spzp2l said:
I'd like to see RW and the first team O move the ball without Russ having to extend the play.

That would be alright. However, I really like it when he runs around making the defense look like chumps trying to get him. So either way I'm good. :mrgreen: