The answer is right in front of us!!

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
adeltaY":r1t2idxn said:
I'm not sure what we ran against Houston was that similar to the end of 2015 offense. It was somewhere between that and hero-ball where Russ and the receivers were on fire against a dumpster fire secondary. The difference between now and the end of 2015 was that we were running the ball 50% of the time and it was actually working. We had Rawls for a bit and then CMike even had a solid game against the Cards when he came back.

Now, there is no credible run threat. The best we have on that front is Russ.

partial true at times we did have a decent running threat, however, we were using the pass to set up the run. which is what we need to be doing now but again we only do it sometimes

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seafan":1xxeka8t said:
Wenhawk":1xxeka8t said:
Makes it really hard on the defense with 30 sec 3 and outs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How is that different than the current offense? First downs helps the defense. The offense has difficulty converting the 3rd and longs so it's the same thing, 3 and out. Russ was meant for sandlot football.

again disagree it is not that Rw is meant for it, it is that seems to be what works due to our OC, and oline. We have seen him do very well without the sandlot football. Example Houston game not much backyard stuff there, same with the 2015 run. As to 3rd and long first most offenses struggle with 3rd and long, however, when we run the offense we are talking about we actually do very well.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":krvfric1 said:
sdog1981":krvfric1 said:
It's almost as if you are saying the team needs a coach
FIFY

not almost I am, most coaches create a system around their players, for some reason these coaches have a system and expect the player's skills and talent to change to meet that system. Until it is too late and then they do what should have been done form the beginning.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3dp9rad3 said:
The offense still isnt playing good enough. Can't keep the opposing D on the field or keep ours off.

again over the last 4+ games we have either held the time of possession or was within 1 minute of it so right now not true

edogg23

Reaction score
Anthony!":30ivn3i3 said:
So the answer to our offensive problems is and has been right in front of us. We have seen it in spots, we saw it the 2nd half of 2015. The answer is the uptempo, West Coast, boom offense we ran in the 2nd half of 2015, we ran against the Texans and we run whenever we have no choice. If you look at any game were we just move the offense with no problems, usually, with a sense of urgency that is what we are talking about, In that offense, we are quick to get the ball out, there are layer routes, we sprinkle in the run when they least expected it, we commit fewer penalties, and so on and so on, We are literally unstoppable.

The question is when we will just use it from start to finish every game, and who is the one deciding not to?

When who is ever is making the choice not to use it except when we have to, gets their head out of their A$$ and starts letting the offense run what works best we will take off and be nearly unbeatable. Until then we will struggle. So at this point, it is on the coaches.
I would love to see this too.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I completely agree with Anthony's summary and have been advocating the same for awhile too.

Not just Russ, but the whole offensive unit tends to function and execute at a competent level when time is of the essence. For those arguing the D would be even more wiped out, Jon Ryan punted twice in less than 3 min yesterday to start the game---would it really be any worse then??

Quick outs, short curls, slants (not near the RZ) and quick hits to both Jimmy and Willson would get everyone in a groove. More rollouts and run/pass options for Russ would be ideal as well.

If nothing else, if Bevell would get the damn plays in sooner so the team isn't breaking out of the huddle continuously with just 7 sec left would also help.

But alas, all of this is wishful thinking because old grey hair happy happy joy joy and his special ed sidekick want to keep living in 2013.

TwilightError

Reaction score
True. But uptempo is too arduous to keep up for the whole game. The defense has to be too much on the field because the offensive drives will often be short. Uptempo needs supportive run game, or dink and dunk, to be consistent. Without it we are not a complete team.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
TwilightError":3lq49tnb said:
True. But uptempo is too arduous to keep up for the whole game. The defense has to be too much on the field because the offensive drives will often be short. Uptempo needs supportive run game, or dink and dunk, to be consistent. Without it we are not a complete team.

first it can be mantained all game, and 2 if you go back to the 2nd half of 2015 we held top in neaarly every game so it would not leave the defense on the field. Part of uptempo is a wco boom offense which means short passes, RAC, with a few shots down the field. What nakes it uptempo is we get to the line quicker, and get the ball out quicker, and use the pass to set up the run, but again we usually hold top when we run it.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
Totally agree ,defense plays better when we are up anyway .Just let #3 draw plays in the dirt and let's go win a championship.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
scrummymustard":hh531qsc said:
Wenhawk":hh531qsc said:

As opposed to 90 second 3 and outs? :sarcasm_on:

This is the point I'm getting to. If we're gonna incur 3-and-outs, at least do so using an offensive strategy that actually gets us some first downs in the process. Failing for cheaper is still failing.

TwilightError

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3fgittqh said:
scrummymustard":3fgittqh said:
Wenhawk":3fgittqh said:

As opposed to 90 second 3 and outs? :sarcasm_on:

This is the point I'm getting to. If we're gonna incur 3-and-outs, at least do so using an offensive strategy that actually gets us some first downs in the process. Failing for cheaper is still failing.

Well you do have a valid point.

chris98251

Reaction score
Up tempo is not Hurry up offense, it does not keep the defense on the field longer then three and outs. We actually put more pressure on their defense trying to counter plays and get substitutes on and off the field in a timely manner when they see who our personnel is. You can still run the ball and everything, but it does require better coordination by the OC and staff to get players and calls ready and out on the field.

Unless you allow the QB to make calls :)

cymatica

Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe, uptempo helps with Bevell's situational playcalling. Less time to out think himself

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Anthony!":2to91go1 said:
Wenhawk":2to91go1 said:

If we ran the offense I am talking about there would be very few 3 and outs at all. Also a lot of those 3 and outs were due to penalties.
Have you put a call into PC/JS.... they may want to fire Bevell and bring you on as OC.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
His thinking is just fine. He's helped us win 6 of the last 8 games with his gameplanning and game day direction. Aside from Philadelphia, can any other OC claim that at this juncture of the season?

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2k6qzvr9 said:
Anthony!":2k6qzvr9 said:
Wenhawk":2k6qzvr9 said:

If we ran the offense I am talking about there would be very few 3 and outs at all. Also a lot of those 3 and outs were due to penalties.
Have you put a call into PC/JS.... they may want to fire Bevell and bring you on as OC.

LOL

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":27ssqsu1 said:
His thinking is just fine. He's helped us win 6 of the last 8 games with his gameplanning and game day direction. Aside from Philadelphia, can any other OC claim that at this juncture of the season?

Ahh yes any team that has a record as good or better record than ours which is 8

Ahh as to his thinking is fine, really Hmm then how come when we move the ball and score the best it is when he is least involved? Sorry dude but our OC is part of the problem, not #1 that is the oline, but he is a close 2nd, Has it occurred to you they are succeeding despite him not because of him? The only excuse I give him is because i think PC has a hand in this as well.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3k35d9xb said:
Siouxhawk":3k35d9xb said:

Ahh yes any team that has a record as good or better record than ours which is 8

Ahh as to his thinking is fine, really Hmm then how come when we move the ball and score the best it is when he is least involved? Sorry dude but our OC is part of the problem, not #1 that is the oline, but he is a close 2nd, Has it occurred to you they are succeeding despite him not because of him? The only excuse I give him is because i think PC has a hand in this as well.
Nah, that's flawed logic and hell, Russell would tell you that to your face. Russell would also tell you he leaves points off the board because he's late sometimes in executing throws when our receivers have s 3-yard cushion. I don't mean to bad mouth Russ, cause he'll go down as my favorite QB of all time, but he's not infallible, just as no one on our team is infallible.

But together, along with QB coach Carl Smith, they've proven to be a pretty formidable unit.

cymatica

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":137h80h4 said:
Anthony!":137h80h4 said:
Siouxhawk":137h80h4 said:

Nah, that's flawed logic and hell, Russell would tell you that to your face. Russell would also tell you he leaves points off the board because he's late sometimes in executing throws when our receivers have s 3-yard cushion. I don't mean to bad mouth Russ, cause he'll go down as my favorite QB of all time, but he's not infallible, just as no one on our team is infallible.

But together, along with QB coach Carl Smith, they've proven to be a pretty formidable unit.

Russell will tell you his oline is doing a great job but we all know better