The FO

RCATES

Reaction score
Anyone that believes this FO hasn't shit the bed since 2012 needs to really consider taking off the Homer glasses. As much praise as Pete and John get for Sherman/Wilson/Wagner etc. they should be equally criticized for how bad they have drafted and developed as well. Although Wilson is starting to not look so good as he seemed to have peaked in 2015. I love this team but Pete's arrogance to not make coaching moves and being loyal to his guys has ruined this team. Ohh well we got one SB out of it. :irishdrinkers:

sutz

Reaction score
RCATES":rn7zr8su said:
Anyone that believes this FO hasn't shit the bed since 2012 needs to really consider taking off the Homer glasses. As much praise as Pete and John get for Sherman/Wilson/Wagner etc. they should be equally criticized for how bad they have drafted and developed as well. Although Wilson is starting to not look so good as he seemed to have peaked in 2015. I love this team but Pete's arrogance to not make coaching moves and being loyal to his guys has ruined this team. Ohh well we got one SB out of it. :irishdrinkers:
You mean these?

[youtube]U6qBnykH0DU[/youtube]

Chapow

Reaction score
RCATES":145q0j7a said:

Graded higher than every other QB in the league except 3 so far this season, but yeah, starting to not look so good and peaked in 2015. :roll:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/921040042276958208[/tweet]

I think some of you guys need to start watching some more football. Watch some teams besides the Seahawks. Seems like there are many here under the impression that if a QB makes mistakes, he's not good, not elite, regressing, "elite QB's don't miss those throws", etc.

I think most would agree Tom Brady is in the discussion for GOAT. Go watch a Patriots game. Brady makes mistakes. He throws picks sometimes, he misses his receivers sometimes, he overthrows guys sometimes, he doesn't see wide open guys sometimes. Brady is easily the best QB in the league right now and even he makes mistakes (or to put it another way, isn't perfect) all the time.

Yes, Russ makes mistakes. Just like every single QB ever. Yet even though he makes mistakes every game, (again, just like every single QB ever) he's still a hell of a good QB. There will never be a perfect QB that plays mistake free football or anything even remotely close to mistake free football.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
"In this moment I'd prefer to be 0-11 this season and make some drastic changes than see another season with disappointing play, barely reaching the playoffs and losing the first road game."

I can't believe someone actually wrote this. Tired of winning only one playoff game a year? Really?
I think any fan that says something like this should be forced to only follow the Browns for a decade.

How many teams in the league over the last 5 years have consecutively made the playoffs, won at least one playoff game, and been to two superbowls? Look that up and get back to me about how terrible our FO is.

Some fans need to put their expectations into perspective. The league is set up to develop parity. Lower draft status, loss of over-valued FA's, lower waiver wire status, tougher schedules all are obstacles to sustained success. Just because one organization does it, doesn't mean that it's easy for everyone to do it. The Patriots sustained success has required a top coaching staff, a great HC and a GOAT QB, some bending of rules, and a perpetually weak division.

So lets pump the breaks on lambasting the FO for lack of OL success. There are about 20 teams that have crappy OL's. It's an epidemic league wide, not just a Seahawk FO issue.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RCATES":2u5lfk7h said:
Anyone that believes this FO hasn't shit the bed since 2012 needs to really consider taking off the Homer glasses.

You seem to be assuming that drafts that produce five starters and an average of three Pro Bowlers per year are the norm for an NFL team, and that Pete & John deserve criticism for not doing that after 2012.

The quality of the two drafting periods (2010-2012 and 2013-present) are extraordinary and average respectively, not average and poor.

Chapow

Reaction score
Here's a little peak into the reality of the NFL draft.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/4/12 ... -are-busts

...it makes sense to temper some of the hype and build-up with a rather sober reality check: most draft picks are busts.

Yep, that’s right. Busts. Not mediocre, not average, but busts.

So, if you add up these first three categories of bust, you come up with just over 68% of all draft picks over the past 20 years have been busts- over two-thirds of all draft picks.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I think it should be more recognized that the QB isn't always at fault when he misses passes. IMO- especially early in the season, the QB and his receivers are adjusting to each other and an incomplete pass may be on either the QB's off target throw -or- the receives may be running the wrong routes, wrong speeds and/or wrong timing. Additionally the QB's stats are impacted by dropped passes and often the lack of proper performance by their receivers. Every pass play requires that receivers play as close to perfect as possible to be successful, it's not always the QB at fault.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I consistently hear about how our talent is being wasted because we have so much of it, yet are underperforming. The coaches must really suck.

This agrument comes from fans over-valuing the players and overstating their abilities. They aren't superhuman, nor even "off the charts," but represent the full spectrum of NFL players from not so great to really good; with a couple exceptions on defense, and these get paid the big money.

Too much of the disappointment is a product of unrealistic--sometimes dramatically so--expectations. Then the disappointed ones push their emotional overstatements. This makes reasonable discussion impossible because the method of venting prevents any fair critique.

If Hawk fans want entertainment through great offense, then we should clamor and bang the drum for another Holmgren type coach who prized offense and let the D be average or worse. That's certainly not what PC brings due to his philosophy. But you cannot say Carol hasn't been a winner with his uninspiring/often non-entertaining (offensively speaking) approach to the game.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Vesuve":1i74puu6 said:
Missing McCloughan?

This is what it boils down to. Funny how many drafts have been a miss since he left.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":25y87d8d said:
This agrument comes from fans over-valuing the players and overstating their abilities.

Sorta, IMO it's more holding the same players to their primes of 3-5 years ago.

This Hawk's team is talented, but nowhere near the ferocious talent level of 2012-2013. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. Richard, Earl and Bobby, those are the only three players playing to that level. When in 2012-2013 we had about 80% of our roster playing in their prime.

So yeah, it is up to the FO to re-stock that talent, or replace that talent.

So the question for this thread is simple, SHOULD we expect our FO to continue to draft, replace and acquire that level of insane talent? Not sure if it is fair, that might have been a once in a generation hit rate on talent acquisition.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
IMHO we haven't been a Super Bowl contending team since 2014 because the FO has not been able to replace these 4 key loses to the team.

Dan Quinn
Ken Norton Jr.
Kris Richard (DB coach)
Marshawn Lynch, we have had the talent but no one can stay healthy.

Seymour

Reaction score
Rat":1ycd2udk said:
They haven't neglected the OL, they have just addressed it poorly.

Agree. They also forgot to shave it.

He new trend in the drag scene w a 2 1457831477907

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1alpmtzw said:
IMHO we haven't been a Super Bowl contending team since 2014 because the FO has not been able to replace these 4 key loses to the team.

Dan Quinn
Ken Norton Jr.
Kris Richard (DB coach)
Marshawn Lynch, we have had the talent but no one can stay healthy.

Good call on the coaches.

Coaches make a difference, especially in a parity league like the NFL. Preparation, motivating and execution, often is the difference between wins and losses.

StoneCold

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":jybxv1gg said:
Joyodongo":jybxv1gg said:
- As a consequence the are spoiling (maybe they have already spoiled) their franchise QB

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/921040042276958208[/tweet]

- Complacency with the results: as we reach playoffs everything seems to be OK ...

Yeah, God forbid we should be upset about making the playoffs.

In this moment I'd prefer to be 0-11

https://media.giphy.com/media/YPIrsRqqO7oB2/giphy.gif

And Russ has yet to have his 6th game.

This season is over? Or this season is not even half over? If I'm wearing rose colored glasses, what color is joyodongo wearing?

OP
OP
Joyodongo

Joyodongo

Reaction score
Mad Dog":36fpeiie said:
"In this moment I'd prefer to be 0-11 this season and make some drastic changes than see another season with disappointing play, barely reaching the playoffs and losing the first road game."
I can't believe someone actually wrote this. Tired of winning only one playoff game a year? Really?
I think any fan that says something like this should be forced to only follow the Browns for a decade.
Yeah, I really feel like this, sorry maybe I deserve to be a Browns' fan. From an objective point of view, I normally don't enjoy much with Seahawks' games since 2015, even if they win (SF, Colts). The D is good, yes, and eventually, there's a good O drive but, pfffff...
And then, form a subjective point of view I suffer x 2 because ... it's my team !!!.
Every offseason since 2015 is the same with high expectatations (of course) but then when they start to play ... it's the same, same hard-to watch games, same mistakes, same liabilities ...
This team should be built (with all the talent we have) to win SBs, and if you ask me, I prefer a "wasted" season and then a real chance of being a SB-caliber team than two or three years of more-of-the-same. But I see 0 self-criticism in the coaching staff. If some reporter dares to ask PC about our OC the answer is: "DB is an excellent coach, this people (the ones who doubt about him) don't know what they're talking about". OK, you wouldn't expect the HC to throw the OC under the bus but, what I hate is the arrogant way of answering, it's like calling all who don't like DB "idiots". And I'm not going to extend on what many people say: "What about the "always compete" mantra with the coaching staff?".
And yes, I'm negative, of course this team has good things but I prefer to focus on the improvable ones. I find in general people here super-positive, maybe too positive but ... well ... good for you, you're probably happier than me ...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Joyodongo":1ymfay2l said:
Mad Dog":1ymfay2l said:
Yeah, I really feel like this, sorry maybe I deserve to be a Browns' fan. From an objective point of view, I normally don't enjoy much with Seahawks' games since 2015, even if they win (SF, Colts). The D is good, yes, and eventually, there's a good O drive but, pfffff...
And then, form a subjective point of view I suffer x 2 because ... it's my team !!!.
Every offseason since 2015 is the same with high expectatations (of course) but then when they start to play ... it's the same, same hard-to watch games, same mistakes, same liabilities ...
This team should be built (with all the talent we have) to win SBs, and if you ask me, I prefer a "wasted" season and then a real chance of being a SB-caliber team than two or three years of more-of-the-same. But I see 0 self-criticism in the coaching staff. If some reporter dares to ask PC about our OC the answer is: "DB is an excellent coach, this people (the ones who doubt about him) don't know what they're talking about". OK, you wouldn't expect the HC to throw the OC under the bus but, what I hate is the arrogant way of answering, it's like calling all who don't like DB "idiots". And I'm not going to extend on what many people say: "What about the "always compete" mantra with the coaching staff?".
And yes, I'm negative, of course this team has good things but I prefer to focus on the improvable ones. I find in general people here super-positive, maybe too positive but ... well ... good for you, you're probably happier than me ...

Can I ask how old you two are?

Cause take it from someone who's been a fan since day one, there is nothing...........and I mean NOTHING more depressing than being a fan of a terrible football team. That empty feeling of hopelessness.

I watched every down of the 2-14 season in 1992, throwing my Hawks hat in the garbage with every Stan Gelbaugh pick. Then dusting it off after only to go through the same awful depressing Groundhog day experience again the next Sunday.

I hate to break it to you two, but these are the salad days of Hawk's football. We may never seen this level of success again. We get to root for a perennial playoff team full of a bunch of exciting players on both sides of the ball, and we FINALLY..............my god FINALLY have a good QB.

You can have high expectations, but you two have UNREALISTIC expectations. This is the NFL, no one dominates. Ever.