The hard question on everyones mind at Kansas city.

marko358

Reaction score
blazen2392":3krc10lz said:
Barthawk":3krc10lz said:
blazen2392":3krc10lz said:
marko358":3krc10lz said:
How healthy is KC? They missing as many key starters as us?
BTW How much time do we have to wait for Wagner? before he got injured he was playing as our best defender. He was so instrumental in that broncos win. This is the game we would need him more than ever.

Mebane will be just as big of a loss if he doesn't play.

OrFan

Reaction score
Why do people, in this case our own fans, keep saying we are not a very good road team? Most good teams figure if they can win half of the road games they are right on track to do well.

Over the past two seasons, last year and this, including the Super Bowl we are 7 and 4 on the road. This is outstanding. Last year the only team that was better than the Hawks on the road was the Eagles. This means we were a better road team than 30 other teams. Yeah, keep saying we are not good on the road.

This team can and will play well and win in KC.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Our primary RB is the worst possible matchup for KC's run defense. Their line is dead last in the league against the run and they rely on their stellar LB corp to cover for them. Their line is a sieve against the run, and their second level isn't any better. Both are ranked dead last against the run, and they have only faced one top ten RB.

When was the last time you saw Lynch bottled up when the opposing team couldn't at least slow him down on the line?

If I played FF, I would definitely want Lynch on my team this week.

- bsd

BayAreafbfan

Reaction score
I follow the Chiefs closely. My take on this is they play mistake free diciplined football. Much like your team did last year. Not turning over the ball will keep you in many games even if the O is struggling as long as the D isnt giving up points. Yes they have been giving up yards on the ground. Next week I would expect them to put a emphasis on stopping the run. I'm sure they will play much tighter on the line and force Russell to beat them through the air. Your passing offence has struggled of late so they can cheat up with a safety. Berry is back and is good at stopping the run. He isn't 100 percent yet so it will be interesting to see how he plays. This will be a grinder and I expect a close game.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I've seen several people mention they have the #1 passing defense (by yardage), but I think that stat is a little misleading.

Only 4 other teams have been throw at less than the Chiefs.

Not saying they have an bad passing defense, but it isn't great.

#7 in yards per attempt
#10 in QB completion %
#14 in QB rating

But whatever, until we find our passing game, and Wilson gets out of his slump, doesn't really matter.

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
OrFan":c0o1x3tl said:
Why do people, in this case our own fans, keep saying we are not a very good road team? Most good teams figure if they can win half of the road games they are right on track to do well.

Over the past two seasons, last year and this, including the Super Bowl we are 7 and 4 on the road. This is outstanding. Last year the only team that was better than the Hawks on the road was the Eagles. This means we were a better road team than 30 other teams. Yeah, keep saying we are not good on the road.

Your also forgetting the extremely close game with lesser teams that where one mistake away from being a loss. We say they are not a very good road team because it is the truth. The 49ers are one of the best if not the best road teams in the nfl. They are consistently every bettors road underdog because they play consistent on the road like they do at home. The hawks while a superior team cannot match the 49ers success on the road because they play too much jekyll and hyde football. How many road games have you sweated on the edge of your seat to below average teams? quite a few right?

A

Anonymous

Relax, everyone.

Rest assured, I will be in attendance at the game, along with the slightly better-looking HH Jr.

We have never lost a road game with the two of us in attendance.

That is all.

BayAreafbfan

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2xa3fp3c said:
I've seen several people mention they have the #1 passing defense (by yardage), but I think that stat is a little misleading.

Only 4 other teams have been throw at less than the Chiefs.

Not saying they have an bad passing defense, but it isn't great.

#7 in yards per attempt
#10 in QB completion %
#14 in QB rating

But whatever, until we find our passing game, and Wilson gets out of his slump, doesn't really matter.

Their success against the pass is due to the very good pass rush they generate. Poe is the anchor and he's very good in the middle. Hali and Houston are studs on the outsides. The secondary's job has been made easier with that rush.

That goes for any team in the NFL. Even yours last year.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The Seahawks have beaten better teams. The Seahawks have the better QB. The Seahawks have a defense that matches up well with what the chefs do offensively. The chefs defense isn't built to stop the run, it's built to rush the passer and the Seahawks don't pass very often. I don't see why so many are so skeeerd of the chefs.
The Seahawks defense was given a wake up call and have been playing well since. The Seahawks offense has the same problems they have had for a while, but they are still putting up points. Both the offense and the defense have been getting used to a lot of young guys starting in their first games as NFL players. With as many young starters as they have been forced to use, is it really a surprise that the team has struggled? Those young guys are starting to find their way and we should all expect better play because they are already playing pretty well.

I'm not skeeerd of the chefs and you shouldn't be either. Sure, they are a good team, but the Seahawks are better and we all KNOW it. The chefs have beaten two teams over the past two seasons that had a winning record when they played them and one of those games was a division game vs the Chargers...you know, the team ravaged by injuries that has lost three straight. The chefs can't beat good teams. They're like the Seahawks under Holmgren pre 2005, they win the games they should, but never beat the good teams.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Seems pretty simple to me:

1) Don't turn the ball over
+
2) Allow no big plays on special teams
=
Good chance for a Hawks' win.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3b1wktdg said:
RunTheBall":3b1wktdg said:
If we go 3-0 will you leave this forum forever?

If we go 3-0 I'll be shocked and delighted.

I see a team that has a mass of injuries, a struggling QB, a weak pass rush and a weak offensive line. There is no crime in questioning their ability to go out and win 2 insanely tough road games and a home game against the team with the current best record in the NFL.

If you want to sit around and drink the Kool-Aid and exile everyone off the forums that isn't a blind homer...

Good luck with that.
I never said they would go 3-0 though, I guess this negative nancy can be put on ignore just like Sgt. Largent.

rideaducati

Reaction score
blazen2392":2ukrny58 said:
OrFan":2ukrny58 said:

Your also forgetting the extremely close game with lesser teams that where one mistake away from being a loss. We say they are not a very good road team because it is the truth. The 49ers are one of the best if not the best road teams in the nfl. They are consistently every bettors road underdog because they play consistent on the road like they do at home. The hawks while a superior team cannot match the 49ers success on the road because they play too much jekyll and hyde football. How many road games have you sweated on the edge of your seat to below average teams? quite a few right?

Which team had the best road record in the NFL last season? I know it doesn't carry over from year to year, but nobody mentions that it was the Seahawks and I continue to hear about the Seahawks road woes. This might not interest you or surprise you, but the Seahawks have the exact same number of road losses this year as do the niners, Broncos, and Patriots. Green Bay has one more road loss than the Seahawks. Why don't we hear about their "road woes"? It's tougher for every team to win road games (except Philly), but the better teams usually have better road records. How good of a road record did the niners have in the eight years prior to 2011? Imagine that, a team having a good road record once they become a good team...

The Seahawks are the better team and I think it will be tougher to win than it would be at home, but it should be a win none the less.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":145rd0ih said:
Scottemojo":145rd0ih said:
I cannot believe the amount of smoke being blown up the skirts of the Chiefs in this thread. Fantasy football has made people daft or something. If you love fnatasy ball, you need to know one thing: Pick up the KC kicker, Alex Smith is a field goal kickers best good buddy. Even I know those don't come along every day.

KC is led by Alex Smith. He reads Press man cover about as well as I read chinese. The no TDs on the ground thing is a mirage, that run D is very gashable. The pass D is formidable, they get after QBs. How big an adjustment will it be for them going after a QB whose biggest flaw is vs a mush rush? It isn't their nature to slow rush. They are sweating just as much this week as you fans are, watching Russell.

And Andy Reid. KC plays more phyiscal than the Eagles used too, but Reid is just as ready to quit on the run as he ever was. You'll know when he has, his running backs will run flares several plays in a row, or screens 2 out of 3. My biggest fear is that we get nibbled to death on the edges like with San Diego.

You may not love the O-line, but after what they did last week they will be looking to pick Marshawn up and carry him.

My biggest concern is special teams. Hopefully the return of Jeron Johnson shores that up, because black mamba is legit.

It all hinges on Seattles current defensive weakness; that shallow middle zone (Smith doesn't have the arm strength to hit the other weakness). Charles will get his, but this is the first matchup where Coyle isn't dwarfed by an opposing RB.

Smith may go 32/36 for 125 yards or something gross like that.

I'm not sure the Hawks can stop those routes right now without conceeding another area. I'd maybe like Irvin in the middle on the nickel package, he's good in coverage and thats where they'll attack.
There is a great chance Seattle will ge tto clog things underneath just because of the weather. Alex's deep ball might go dodo just from that.

BayAreafbfan

Reaction score
rideaducati":3dyz9e36 said:
The Seahawks have beaten better teams. The Seahawks have the better QB. The Seahawks have a defense that matches up well with what the chefs do offensively. The chefs defense isn't built to stop the run, it's built to rush the passer and the Seahawks don't pass very often. I don't see why so many are so skeeerd of the chefs.
The Seahawks defense was given a wake up call and have been playing well since. The Seahawks offense has the same problems they have had for a while, but they are still putting up points. Both the offense and the defense have been getting used to a lot of young guys starting in their first games as NFL players. With as many young starters as they have been forced to use, is it really a surprise that the team has struggled? Those young guys are starting to find their way and we should all expect better play because they are already playing pretty well.

I'm not skeeerd of the chefs and you shouldn't be either. Sure, they are a good team, but the Seahawks are better and we all KNOW it. The chefs have beaten two teams over the past two seasons that had a winning record when they played them and one of those games was a division game vs the Chargers...you know, the team ravaged by injuries that has lost three straight. The chefs can't beat good teams. They're like the Seahawks under Holmgren pre 2005, they win the games they should, but never beat the good teams.

The Chiefs have not beaten good teams? They have beaten MIA, NE, BUF and SD. All teams currently over .500. At the way the Hawks are playing now and how they play on the road this may be the toughest test. You are not seriously going to use a depleted Giants team at your house as a measuring stick are you?

the Chiefs have a good red zone D. They don't give up the big play over the top and with a struggling Seattle pass offence they can pile more bodies in the box to clog up the running lanes. Your receivers aren't scary so one safety deep seems the likely scenario and one on one man with your pedestrian receivers. Problem for the Chiefs is their receivers are pedestrian too. LOL!! This game will be close unless one team gets careless with the football ala turnovers.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hawks are a damn good team, and just ripped of 350 yards of rushing. And that whole can't win on the road thing is way behind them. Hell yes they can win. This one is a toss up imo.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Scottemojo":13wvi5rv said:
pehawk":13wvi5rv said:
Scottemojo":13wvi5rv said:
I cannot believe the amount of smoke being blown up the skirts of the Chiefs in this thread. Fantasy football has made people daft or something. If you love fnatasy ball, you need to know one thing: Pick up the KC kicker, Alex Smith is a field goal kickers best good buddy. Even I know those don't come along every day.

KC is led by Alex Smith. He reads Press man cover about as well as I read chinese. The no TDs on the ground thing is a mirage, that run D is very gashable. The pass D is formidable, they get after QBs. How big an adjustment will it be for them going after a QB whose biggest flaw is vs a mush rush? It isn't their nature to slow rush. They are sweating just as much this week as you fans are, watching Russell.

And Andy Reid. KC plays more phyiscal than the Eagles used too, but Reid is just as ready to quit on the run as he ever was. You'll know when he has, his running backs will run flares several plays in a row, or screens 2 out of 3. My biggest fear is that we get nibbled to death on the edges like with San Diego.

You may not love the O-line, but after what they did last week they will be looking to pick Marshawn up and carry him.

My biggest concern is special teams. Hopefully the return of Jeron Johnson shores that up, because black mamba is legit.

It all hinges on Seattles current defensive weakness; that shallow middle zone (Smith doesn't have the arm strength to hit the other weakness). Charles will get his, but this is the first matchup where Coyle isn't dwarfed by an opposing RB.

Smith may go 32/36 for 125 yards or something gross like that.

I'm not sure the Hawks can stop those routes right now without conceeding another area. I'd maybe like Irvin in the middle on the nickel package, he's good in coverage and thats where they'll attack.
There is a great chance Seattle will ge tto clog things underneath just because of the weather. Alex's deep ball might go dodo just from that.

Seattle SEEMS weak over the middle because they wanted the GOOD QBs they've been up against to take the short middle. Alex Smith only uses the short middle, so I expect the Seahawks to press the short routes and dare Alex to go long, which he isn't very good at doing.

Alex Smith has thrown the ball 30 or more times in 48 games in his career. Of those times, he has TWO 300 yard games, 23 wins and 25 losses.

Alex Smith has thrown the ball 40 or more times in 12 games in his career. Of those times, he has ONE 300 yard game, 2 wins and 10 losses.

I don't get where all the respect for Alex Smith is coming from. The more he is asked to do, the worse his team fares. If he didn't have the defenses he has had throughout his career, he would have been out of the league a long time ago.

The key for Seattle is to stop the chef running game and force Alex to pass the ball. He has yet to win a game in his career when his running back and defense aren't playing well.

Rat

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":18cm7spy said:
Rat":18cm7spy said:
The Chiefs are probably the second worst team remaining on our schedule. Going to be a tough one, but it's one a team of this caliber should win.

...and there lies the problem with this post, and many others like it. Rat. I notice that certain posters are constantly over-estimating the talent or 'caliber' of this team, IMO. That is probably why many of the people that make such posts have blamed our various coaching staffs. This team is barely above mediocre at this time. Injuries, attrition and lack of continuity at many positions have definitely impacted the level of play, but it is what it is.

If we were consistently fielding the 'caliber' of players you speak of, it would reflect in the level of play. So far that has not happened. Anybody who thinks that this team, at present state, can be expected to go into Arrowhead and win is smoking some REALLY good stuff.

I strongly disagree. Like nearly every other team right now, we have some injury issues, but the following things can still be said about the Seahawks:

- Elite QB
- Top 3-5 running game
- Star players all over the defense
- Very well-coached
- Super Bowl experience at nearly every position

Teams that you can accurately say ALL those things about are high caliber. I would expect a team like that to beat one that most classify as average to slightly above average, even at their place. If we don't pull this one off, I'll have next to no hope that this team will be in the playoffs. Losing this game would mean needing to get through a brutal stretch of the Cards twice, the Niners twice, the Rams, and the Eagles (on the road) at no worse than 4-2, and with how good the Lions, Packers, Eagles, and Cowboys look, that might not even be enough.