The new Colin Kaepernick

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2qzfob10 said:
Marvin49":2qzfob10 said:
Laloosh":2qzfob10 said:
^^ Marv, mind sharing a synopsis of what's changed w/ your team this off-season, what you're looking forward to seeing unfold and what the fans are saying on your end?

I haven't talked to my sources with 49er roots lately and I don't know much about what's happening w/ the team. Feel free to post or PM if you have time to do it. I've been slacking on my reading as of late and I'd love to get your take.

Honestly I haven't talked to a number of Niner fans this offseason. Kinda took it off and had fun watching the Warriors play.

What do I think about the teams fortunes? I think they'll be better than last year. How much better I have no idea.

The O-Line has a chance to be improved significantly. That doesn't mean it;ll be great, but last year the right side of the line was possibly the worst in the league. Their first round pick and POSSIBLY an in-shape Anthony Davis (reported down to 330LBs from the 370 he last played at) is an ENORMOUS improvement from last year.

Scheme should help there too as the ball should come out fairly quick and the pace of play should slow down the rush.

Hyde if he can stay Healthy (big if) might have a big year. This offense really suits him.

WR is a HUGE question mark. Lots of young guys, but outside of Torrey Smith nobody is proven (and I'm not even sure you can put HIM in that category either).

Defense? I really like the young guys on the line. Bowman is back and in much better physical condition than the beginning of last year. Lynch will miss four games, but I really wanna see Eli Harold who gained 20+ lbs in the offseason and is up to 270lbs.

Safety should be a strong spot with Reid, Tartt and Bethea. CB is a question, but I like that they've moved Jimmie Ward from safety to CB. We'll see how that plays out.

To be clear, I'm not exactly saying all this adds up to playoff team...or even a .500 team. They are going with ALOT of youth so we'll see what happens. Very few known quantities. Should be fun at least. :D

Good outlook Marv but how about giving us a devils advocate if you will. What are your concerns this season and what will you be hoping for most of all improvement wise?

Concerns are all over the roster but it's more about unproven youth than known suckage. LOL.

QB is a big question (insert suckage joke here). Don't know what to expect, but my guess is there is probably a low ceiling on either guy so not sure if I really want one of them taking the reins and making something serviceable out of it or if I'd rather they outright sucked and forced the teams hand in finding the next guy.

WR as I said is huge ?. Lots of interesting guys who might develop, but they could just as likely not and leave whomever does get the QB job stranded out there with no targets.

Pass Rusher is huge concern. Aldon is gone. Lynch is suspended. Brooks is really showing age. As of right now there is no outside speed rusher to worry about...unless a guy like Eli Harold can have a breakout 2nd year.

I actually really like the D-Line. The last 2 1st rounders in particular (Buckner and Armstead). I think they'll be mainstays. Bowman should be much more his old self, but the other ILB is a ?. CB is kinda like WR. Lots of interesting young guys, but just as likely to bust as hit.

Honestly, I look at this year as a "Lets see what we got to see what we still need" kinda year. What I'm hoping for? I'm hoping to see some young guys show themselves to be long term starters. I'm hoping for some of them to show themselves as building blocks for future success. Specifically, I'm looking at WR, CB, and OLB.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Laloosh":180027sd said:
Marvin49":180027sd said:
I did till game 7. :D

Tough break, man. I was rooting for your boys.
I was rooting for GS over OKC, after that I didn't care.... But I will thank Marvin's Warriors for permanently ending OKC's title hopes. :2thumbs:

Now back to making fun of the niners franchise. 8)

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":2552tsdl said:
Kaepernick is maybe the best mechanical QB of all time. Structure an offense around his limitations, and he can do amazing things. The mistake was ever believing that he could be more than a mechanical QB.

Chip Kelly's history at QB is mostly made up with QBs who are natural to the position. His only true mechanical QB was Jeremiah Masoli during Kelly's first HC season at Oregon, a player who started essentially because he was the lesser of two evils between he and Nate Costa. Kelly moved on from Masoli after just one season and then went to Darron Thomas (a mechanical / natural hybrid in the mold of Tyrod Taylor), then to Mariota, then to Foles / Sanchez, then to Bradford.

Based on that history, I get the sense that Chip Kelly strongly prefers prototypical QBs. Blaine Gabbert was a high draft pick precisely because he checked all the prototypical QB boxes on the scouting checklist. Gabbert also showed massive improvement last season. And heck, Gabbert can even run pretty well.

I've been saying since the day that Kelly got hired that Gabbert is the guy for Chip. I think the only way Kelly goes for Kaep is if Gabbert completely falls flat on his face.

Off topic, but Masoli just set a CFL record completing 23 consecutive passes. He was a two year starter for the Ducks (one year chip was the OC, the other year he was hte head coach) and would have started 3 seasons if he had not stolen a lap top, got in trouble with the law and got himself kicked off the team. I think chip would have preferred to stick with Massoli rather than go to Darron Thomas, but Masoli got himself kicked off the team instead. I loved watching that dude play. He was a tank.

[youtube]Js0p82WnoVE[/youtube]

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":kmixkewi said:
Sometimes nothing will change a person more than a fat slice of humble pie
I was wondering if his friendship w Ricardo Lockette had anything to do with it?
I mean it changed Ricardo's life, almost dying. If they were indeed goods friends, it could have changed him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":292msjg8 said:
Kaepernick is maybe the best mechanical QB of all time. Structure an offense around his limitations, and he can do amazing things. The mistake was ever believing that he could be more than a mechanical QB.

Chip Kelly's history at QB is mostly made up with QBs who are natural to the position. His only true mechanical QB was Jeremiah Masoli during Kelly's first HC season at Oregon, a player who started essentially because he was the lesser of two evils between he and Nate Costa. Kelly moved on from Masoli after just one season and then went to Darron Thomas (a mechanical / natural hybrid in the mold of Tyrod Taylor), then to Mariota, then to Foles / Sanchez, then to Bradford.

Based on that history, I get the sense that Chip Kelly strongly prefers prototypical QBs. Blaine Gabbert was a high draft pick precisely because he checked all the prototypical QB boxes on the scouting checklist. Gabbert also showed massive improvement last season. And heck, Gabbert can even run pretty well.

I've been saying since the day that Kelly got hired that Gabbert is the guy for Chip. I think the only way Kelly goes for Kaep is if Gabbert completely falls flat on his face.

So much this kearly.

Kaepernick fits Kelly's offense like Andy Reid would fit in skinny jeans. I think too many people just think Chip's offense is all about having a mobile QB when that couldn't be further from the truth. His offense is predicated on quick, accurate passes. That's why he wanted Bradford so bad, because once upon a time Sam Bradford had arguably the best short passing accuracy in a long, long time. Mariota was the best QB Chip could hope for with his offense.

Colin Kaepernick though? Not even close. He has no touch on short throws, everything comes out like he's still playing baseball.

The only reason he's still a Niner now is because of his contract. I doubt he wins the job and I think Gabbert might be a sneaky good QB in this offense. Or at least a fantasy sleeper.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ckvls6f said:
WR as I said is huge ?. Lots of interesting guys who might develop, but they could just as likely not and leave whomever does get the QB job stranded out there with no targets.

Pass Rusher is huge concern. Aldon is gone. Lynch is suspended. Brooks is really showing age. As of right now there is no outside speed rusher to worry about...unless a guy like Eli Harold can have a breakout 2nd year.

I actually really like the D-Line. The last 2 1st rounders in particular (Buckner and Armstead). I think they'll be mainstays. I'm looking at WR, CB, and OLB.

I think the secondary (and even CBs) will be fine, but edge rush is a dumpster fire, so it will be hard to tell anyway.

Kelly's whole run game is a one trick pony that is predicated on a numbers advantage, and without credible receiving threats horizontally stretching the field that numbers advantage goes right out the window.

NINEster

Reaction score
Best "mechanical QB" of all time??

Never heard such a term. And wouldn't expect Kap to necessarily be that guy.

What does that mean exactly? You mean the only QB ever to throw an ill advised dart with his body in mid air over Earl Thomas' outstretched hands and still score a TD? That huge throw in New Orleans on 4th down two years ago?

Comes off like a backhanded compliment.

I don't think the book is done on Kap. I know it is in Seahawk fan eyes -- it was done probably the first time he threw an incomplete pass in his first NFL start -- but there still remains some ball to be played.

Kelly's offense seems easier and more opportunistic than anything Kap has played in in the NFL.....and yet he will be totally incapable of succeeding in it?

Ok, sure.

2014 season:

Kap - 289/478 60.5% 3369 yards 19 TD 10 INT
Wilson - 285/452 63.1% 3475 yards 20 TD 7 INT
Newton - 262/448 58.5% 3127 yards 18 TD 12 INT

But if you went by media perception and other garbage, it's as if Kap was not even in that ball park.

By almost any metric, Kap had a better 2014 season than Cam but Cam never got the destructive criticism......and he was #1 overall FFS.

There's clearly an anti-Kap bias leaguewide. If he put up Cam's #s last year, he never would have sniffed MVP votes....that's a fact.

Anyways, we'll see what this season brings.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
JSeahawks":20wragqn said:
Off topic, but Masoli just set a CFL record completing 23 consecutive passes. He was a two year starter for the Ducks (one year chip was the OC, the other year he was hte head coach) and would have started 3 seasons if he had not stolen a lap top, got in trouble with the law and got himself kicked off the team. I think chip would have preferred to stick with Massoli rather than go to Darron Thomas, but Masoli got himself kicked off the team instead. I loved watching that dude play. He was a tank.

As somebody who's watched a lot of Oregon games over the years, I agree. In terms of how well they played in college, I think he was the best QB Oregon has had in my lifetime...and that includes Mariota. Masoli straight-up delivered. Rarely made any mistakes, made confident decisions, and seemed to see the field really well. He was so frustrating to root against lol.

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":bjy88bhj said:
There's clearly an anti-Kap bias leaguewide. If he put up Cam's #s last year, he never would have sniffed MVP votes....that's a fact.

Oh, lordy, the inferiority complex on this one...

Remember when Jaworski said Kap could be the best of all time?

Remember when Dilfer wouldn't stop slobbering over him on MNF?

Meanwhile, Wilson throws for more yards, a better completion pct., and fewer Ints than Cam with only 1 less TD pass, and there are still asshats like Pete Prisco who refuse to give him credit just because he'd have to admit he was wrong.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Laloosh":393h1vnd said:
^^ Marv, mind sharing a synopsis of what's changed w/ your team this off-season, what you're looking forward to seeing unfold and what the fans are saying on your end?

I haven't talked to my sources with 49er roots lately and I don't know much about what's happening w/ the team. Feel free to post or PM if you have time to do it. I've been slacking on my reading as of late and I'd love to get your take.
I'll chime in with this: Jim Tomsula is gone. The previous QB coach was working as a radio talk show host before he got hired by Tomsula, etc. Say what you will about Kelly, but heand his staff are a significant upgrade.

Going from arguably the worst coaching staff in NFL history to a mediocre coaching staff is probably going to count for one or two more wins.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
NINEster":97t35x1e said:

What does that mean exactly? You mean the only QB ever to throw an ill advised dart with his body in mid air over Earl Thomas' outstretched hands and still score a TD? That huge throw in New Orleans on 4th down two years ago?

I don't think the book is done on Kap. I know it is in Seahawk fan eyes -- it was done probably the first time he threw an incomplete pass in his first NFL start -- but there still remains some ball to be played.

Kelly's offense seems easier and more opportunistic than anything Kap has played in in the NFL.....and yet he will be totally incapable of succeeding in it?

Ok, sure.

2014 season:

But if you went by media perception and other garbage, it's as if Kap was not even in that ball park.

By almost any metric, Kap had a better 2014 season than Cam but Cam never got the destructive criticism......and he was #1 overall FFS.

Ninester you really are way to sensitive.

What makes Kelly's system so simple? Do you know?

How good is Kaep been on touch passes? Short passes? reading defenses? Going through progressions? How well does he spread the ball around? On and on.

"it was done probably the first time he threw an incomplete pass" now say that with a whiny childish, high pitch tone and you see how it comes across in your post.

Simple question for you NINEster, if you had the option to keep Kaep or for the same money trade him straight up for Cam, would you do it?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
NINEster":39vx7io2 said:

Ok, sure.

2014 season:

Guess what? Cam Newton wouldn't be a great fit for Chip Kelly either. His short-intermediate accuracy is erratic. Cam is an athletic freak that thrives in a vertical passing game. Chip wants to beat you with 1000 tiny papercuts. Its a very different philosophy.

Again you're falling into that same fallacy that Chip Kelly wants an athlete at QB because he had success with a "gimmicky" college offense. When he's already shown in his short time in the NFL that the type of QB he wants is a guy that is mobile enough to evade pressure, but has very good accuracy on their short to intermediate passing. That's why he wanted Sam Bradford last season. That's why he tried to trade a boat load to get Marcus Mariota (the perfect type of QB for his offense).

Colin Kaepernick is a phenomenal athlete, and when he's allowed to use his mobility as a weapon is when he's at his best. But when he's confined into being a pocket quarterback, his numbers plummet.

It's no wonder why Kaep's best seasons came when Roman/Harbaugh let him run around and make plays. Chip Kelly's offense isn't going to do that.

cesame

Reaction score
Chip values a QB that can read the entire field, make decisions quickly and deliver an accurate ball. Basically what every coach wants. Even at his days in Oregon he's always said he wants a QB first and an athlete second.

Don't buy that Kaepernick is supposed to be this great fit with Kelly. He can only manage to read half the field and his accuracy is hit or miss.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":37kphh69 said:
NINEster":37kphh69 said:

Ok, sure.

2014 season:

Guess what? Cam Newton wouldn't be a great fit for Chip Kelly either. His short-intermediate accuracy is erratic. Cam is an athletic freak that thrives in a vertical passing game. Chip wants to beat you with 1000 tiny papercuts. Its a very different philosophy.

Again you're falling into that same fallacy that Chip Kelly wants an athlete at QB because he had success with a "gimmicky" college offense. When he's already shown in his short time in the NFL that the type of QB he wants is a guy that is mobile enough to evade pressure, but has very good accuracy on their short to intermediate passing. That's why he wanted Sam Bradford last season. That's why he tried to trade a boat load to get Marcus Mariota (the perfect type of QB for his offense).

Colin Kaepernick is a phenomenal athlete, and when he's allowed to use his mobility as a weapon is when he's at his best. But when he's confined into being a pocket quarterback, his numbers plummet.

It's no wonder why Kaep's best seasons came when Roman/Harbaugh let him run around and make plays. Chip Kelly's offense isn't going to do that.

Good description of Alex Smith.

I think Gabbert could actually be good in Kelly's system if he has some tools to work with.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kaep will be showcased in pre season, if he plays well and there is a opening I think there is a trade made, cheap ass 49ers do not want to pay him on the bench, Kelly will not want a QB that can't pick apart a defense on quick passes or run a hurry up. Kaep took a long time to make reads and set up offenses when he was playing, Kaep good athlete smart guy but slow processor skills.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":slgfxma8 said:

Can't wait to read the rebuttal to this one... :snack:

irocdave

Reaction score
All minutia aside, Kap took a huge step forward in my mind with that presser. He acted like a normal human being and actually looked like he enjoyed playing football and was exited about talking about football. That's a huge change from my limited exposure to him. It means something though, sounds like he has bought in, found out who he is and is comfortable with all of that. That's something guys do in their mid 20's and start excelling at what they have committed to.

This guy is incredibly gifted physically. If he gets his head back on his shoulders with the experiences he has been through he can salvage his career. He also seems more comfortable about being himself, bet that's a huge relief for him.

chris98251

Reaction score
irocdave":2iub1teg said:
All minutia aside, Kap took a huge step forward in my mind with that presser. He acted like a normal human being and actually looked like he enjoyed playing football and was exited about talking about football. That's a huge change from my limited exposure to him. It means something though, sounds like he has bought in, found out who he is and is comfortable with all of that. That's something guys do in their mid 20's and start excelling at what they have committed to.

This guy is incredibly gifted physically. If he gets his head back on his shoulders with the experiences he has been through he can salvage his career. He also seems more comfortable about being himself, bet that's a huge relief for him.

Well he has not had a game losing fumble, a pick or had his ass chewed by a coach in a while, lets see how things go when Kelly uses the hook at the first sign of taking to long to run a play in a game or throws a pick six.