The new Colin Kaepernick

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Laloosh":2xvybgzh said:
Hasselbeck":2xvybgzh said:
Guess what? Cam Newton wouldn't be a great fit for Chip Kelly either. His short-intermediate accuracy is erratic. Cam is an athletic freak that thrives in a vertical passing game. Chip wants to beat you with 1000 tiny papercuts. Its a very different philosophy.

Again you're falling into that same fallacy that Chip Kelly wants an athlete at QB because he had success with a "gimmicky" college offense. When he's already shown in his short time in the NFL that the type of QB he wants is a guy that is mobile enough to evade pressure, but has very good accuracy on their short to intermediate passing. That's why he wanted Sam Bradford last season. That's why he tried to trade a boat load to get Marcus Mariota (the perfect type of QB for his offense).

Colin Kaepernick is a phenomenal athlete, and when he's allowed to use his mobility as a weapon is when he's at his best. But when he's confined into being a pocket quarterback, his numbers plummet.

It's no wonder why Kaep's best seasons came when Roman/Harbaugh let him run around and make plays. Chip Kelly's offense isn't going to do that.

Can't wait to read the rebuttal to this one... :snack:
It would be a waste of time just like convincing him Luck isn't elite. Keapernick is a six year veteran for god sake. Year two and five pretty much tells you what tier your quarterback is in 95% of any scenario. He could be an Aaron Rodgers or Steve Young but would you bet actual money on it? And by actual I mean yours?

NINEster

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1zestffk said:
"it was done probably the first time he threw an incomplete pass" now say that with a whiny childish, high pitch tone and you see how it comes across in your post.

Simple question for you NINEster, if you had the option to keep Kaep or for the same money trade him straight up for Cam, would you do it?

I'll give you a twist:

Pre-2015 Kap over Cam. The stats and that 2013 playoff head to head aren't easily forgotten.

Now? I'd still do it. Call me a homer, but Cam has a much better team. Like Wilson.

I want to see one more season with Kap....under Kelly to see what's up. Should be enough. By then we'll know a lot more about how much resilience he has, and we can further isolate his QB skills a bit more than we could the last few years.

We as in 49ers fans....he's our QB so we look at him with a glimmer of hope.

NINEster

Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind which is exciting for a football fan is that Newton, Wilson, Kaepernick are all slightly different in their mobile QB skillset.

What Bevell does with Wilson is different than what Shula has done with Cam. The Panthers use quite a bit of wishbone and power to take advantage of Newton's big frame in the run game. You wouldn't want Wilson or Kap doing such plays that often.

Kap has great straight line speed, so you have to figure out a way to open those lanes up. His strength at throwing intermediate passes is something else to focus on.

It would be nice to see Kelly not only implement his vision but further tweak it for the Niners starting QB this year. He naturally has that capability unlike Harbaugh/Roman. Remember that the 49er offense was never sophisticated under those two and it went as far as the OL and Gore went.

I don't think either Cam or Kap could step into Seattle's offense as constructed and do what Wilson does for them. They would need to tweak it to those two in particular.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
From what iv'e heard, Kappernick is way behind on picking up Kelly's offense and its Gabbert's job to lose. I'd take Gabbert over Sackorpick any day.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":327l1bjb said:
Off topic, but Masoli just set a CFL record completing 23 consecutive passes. He was a two year starter for the Ducks (one year chip was the OC, the other year he was hte head coach) and would have started 3 seasons if he had not stolen a lap top, got in trouble with the law and got himself kicked off the team. I think chip would have preferred to stick with Massoli rather than go to Darron Thomas, but Masoli got himself kicked off the team instead. I loved watching that dude play. He was a tank.

Thanks for the correction.

Masoli was a good QB. Darron Thomas was even better. Then Mariota was better than that. Each time the QB moved towards a more prototypical profile, the better Chip Kelly's offense was.

kearly

Reaction score
NINEster":3c5j57zt said:
Best "mechanical QB" of all time??

Never heard such a term. And wouldn't expect Kap to necessarily be that guy.

It's a colloquial scouting term that refers to a QB who needs to play within a rigid structure to have success. Take him out of that structure, and he's mess.

To use a cooking analogy, I'm not very good at cooking, but I can follow a Betty Crocker box pretty well. The box tells me exactly what I need to do and when I follow it exactly, I get a tasty dinner out of it. Compare me then with a master chef who follows his instincts and talents to create amazing meals. In this analogy, I'm like the mechanical QB because I can produce okay results by following structure to the letter, whereas the genius chef is like the genius QB (Peyton Manning) because he can actually write the cookbook, not just follow it.

Being a mechanical QB isn't really a backhanded compliment, it just is what it is. There are a TON of dominant QBs in college who are mechanical QBs. The NFL game is so tough that only rarely will one have great success at the NFL level. Kaep is one of the few who can, but he has to have the right structure for it, which is why losing Roman and Harbaugh was so huge for him.

Maybe Kelly can provide the right structure for Kaep and he has a resurgence. I never said that couldn't happen, it totally could. I just think Kelly will prefer Gabbert a little more given Kelly's history at QB.

kearly

Reaction score
As far as the 2016 49ers, I think they will be a better team than some think. Hyde is arguably a top 10 RB when healthy, and Gabbert looked like a top 20 QB last season. Kelly likes to stretch the field some with deep shots, so Torrey Smith will have a better year this year. And the OL can only improve considering how awful it had been. But most importantly, Chip Kelly has a history of fast starts to new jobs offensively. I don't think he will do a ton of damage to Seattle- they seem to have his number- but I could see the 49ers offense being competent this year.

We all know how bad Gabbert used to be but he's not that same Blaine Gabbert anymore.

On defense, it's hard to know what to expect, but I don't think they will be a disaster.

Last year the 49ers played like a 3 win team but won 5 games. I think this year they'll play like a 6 win team, and end up with 5-7 wins.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3235pfb6 said:
I doubt he wins the job and I think Gabbert might be a sneaky good QB in this offense. Or at least a fantasy sleeper.

I agree. I'm projecting him to be a pretty good bye-week waiver wire add for fantasy teams with 1 QB who need a starter for a week. I think he'll be right there in the Flacco / Fitzmagic class of bandaid fantasy QBs.

And it's worth remembering too what Chip Kelly got out of Nick Foles in 2013, Kelly's first year in Philly. I don't think I'm stepping off a ledge when I say that Gabbert is a better QB (and a better fit for Kelly) than Foles. Not that Kelly can pull that kind of a rabbit out of his hat at will, but it's always something that's within his potential. And while it's true that Baalke runs the show, we have to remember that Kelly didn't run the show during his two good years in Philly. It wouldn't totally shock me if Blaine Gabbert was 2016's version of Derek Carr or Blake Bortles.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I remember last year in the preseason most of the Niner fans were saying "Look out, the Kraepper is going to be a world beater this year because he worked out in the offseason with Kurt Warner and all of his flaws are fixed now!!!!", then Dilfer had an on air orgasm on national TV saying how great he was........ Then the Kraepper crapped the bed and lost his job.

Fade

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3gs3ccqb said:
I remember last year in the preseason most of the Niner fans were saying "Look out, the Kraepper is going to be a world beater this year because he worked out in the offseason with Kurt Warner and all of his flaws are fixed now!!!!", then Dilfer had an on air orgasm on national TV saying how great he was........ Then the Kraepper crapped the bed and lost his job.
Its true all of it0

Marvin49

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":rm9skh46 said:
From what iv'e heard, Kappernick is way behind on picking up Kelly's offense and its Gabbert's job to lose. I'd take Gabbert over Sackorpick any day.

That's false.

No idea who's in the lead, but Kap isn't "way behind" on Chips system. In fact some reporters have said he looks better in camp than Gabbert right now,

Rob12

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but CP is my pick for Comeback Player of the Year. If they can put the past behind him, he's going to do some damage I think. Would not be mad to be 100 percent wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Fade":3613wu6x said:
Sports Hernia":3613wu6x said:
Its true all of it0
I looooved that movie! Saw it at the Cinerama and had a fricken adid flashback.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
No matter how much of a smiley-ass punk he acts like, it's not gonna change anything about his horrendous progressing-through-his-reads problem.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":rncc89g1 said:
No matter how much of a smiley-ass punk he acts like, it's not gonna change anything about his horrendous progressing-through-his-reads problem.
Yep, I'm not buying Kraepper version 4.0.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Rob12":192gepdz said:
Hate to say it, but CP is my pick for Comeback Player of the Year. If they can put the past behind him, he's going to do some damage I think. Would not be mad to be 100 percent wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And.... No

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Sorry nut Gabbert proved he was a better QB last year, he looked light years better than Slapperdick. Without an elite level QB coach He will be lost.

NINEster

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":1092zsvl said:
Sorry nut Gabbert proved he was a better QB last year, he looked light years better than Slapperdick. Without an elite level QB coach He will be lost.

Kap never had an elite level QB coach in the NFL.

This is an interesting quote:

"What I find interesting is QBs who apparently have no problems reading a defense (since I rarely hear anything about them not being able to go through their progressions), haven't had the success that Kap has had in this league.

We need to create a new category for these type of QBs who seemingly can do all that Kap cannot but can't win in the playoffs to save their lives."

Dalton, Romo, Palmer seemingly fit these categories. All had good defenses and run games when they showed up to the playoffs.

Joygazm

Reaction score
Kaepernick in the same conversation as Dalton, Romo, and Palmer makes a mockery of good but not great QB's.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":2x4uvttl said:
Chukarhawk":2x4uvttl said:

Kap never had an elite level QB coach in the NFL.

This is an interesting quote:

"What I find interesting is QBs who apparently have no problems reading a defense (since I rarely hear anything about them not being able to go through their progressions), haven't had the success that Kap has had in this league.

We need to create a new category for these type of QBs who seemingly can do all that Kap cannot but can't win in the playoffs to save their lives."

Dalton, Romo, Palmer seemingly fit these categories. All had good defenses and run games when they showed up to the playoffs.
You need to quit listening to the Jaws and Dilfers of the world, and maybe start listening to the Timmy K's and Lowell Cohn's of the world.

You can keep polishing that Kraeppernick turd, and keep coming up with more and more excuses for the guy and we'll thank you for the free entertainment. He very likely won't even be the starter this year.