The New Seahawks Defense.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Tical21":3d0c57i9 said:
It theoretically could be someone else, but whoever they put there has to be stout against the run at the point of attack. I think Kam is the only safety that could possibly do that.

One of the few safeties in the whole league who could pull it off.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
dogorama":7izhstuj said:
And no offense to the OP, but it makes it sound like we are down there studying TCU's D as some sort of trend setters but NFL teams have been employing this D for 2-3 years already. Check out the link below that talks about the 425, or big nickel if you will, as being the "hottest defensive trend" in the NFL and then note the four teams employing it. Guess who is conspicuously absent from the list? This article is from 2014, we should have had this in our arsenal last year.

If you would look at my original post date it was a full month before the big nickel post. It was also based off of observations of the team drills of 1s vs 1s.

LeRoy Butler was the safety that made the whole Packers D go. They also were stout aginst the run with the 4th best unit in the NFL. At the time there nemesis in the playoffs was a power running Dallas Cowboys. In fact, they only made it to the Superbowl during the 1996 season because the Panthers beat the Cowboys. They lost the Superbowl the next season to the zone blocking Denver Broncos. But if you look at current trends in the NFL teams are throwing the ball 45 times a game not running the ball 45 times.

And yes the Seahawks D staff does need to get schooled up on the 425 because it is not a system they have ever run and it is always good to try to learn something from a different perspective. NFL teams and college teams always meet and share ideas in the offseason.

dogorama

Reaction score
sdog1981":1ehv25z5 said:
dogorama":1ehv25z5 said:
And no offense to the OP, but it makes it sound like we are down there studying TCU's D as some sort of trend setters but NFL teams have been employing this D for 2-3 years already. Check out the link below that talks about the 425, or big nickel if you will, as being the "hottest defensive trend" in the NFL and then note the four teams employing it. Guess who is conspicuously absent from the list? This article is from 2014, we should have had this in our arsenal last year.

If you would look at my original post date it was a full month before the big nickel post. It was also based off of observations of the team drills of 1s vs 1s.

LeRoy Butler was the safety that made the whole Packers D go. They also were stout aginst the run with the 4th best unit in the NFL. At the time there nemesis in the playoffs was a power running Dallas Cowboys. In fact, they only made it to the Superbowl during the 1996 season because the Panthers beat the Cowboys. They lost the Superbowl the next season to the zone blocking Denver Broncos. But if you look at current trends in the NFL teams are throwing the ball 45 times a game not running the ball 45 times.

And yes the Seahawks D staff does need to get schooled up on the 425 because it is not a system they have ever run and it is always good to try to learn something from a different perspective. NFL teams and college teams always meet and share ideas in the offseason.

Okay cool, I think we get a little carried away with this idea that we are always ahead of the curve. Granted, they have been very good, but in this case they were behind the trend and it cost us last year. It just goes to show that you can never rest on your laurels in this league, we aren't the only team w/smart coaches.

Edit: BTW, Butler's role allowed GB to shut down the pass, not the run: "Shurmur's willingness to play Butler -- Green Bay's starting strong safety -- as a nickel back allowed him to deploy his best defensive back in coverage on tight ends and slot receivers, while also using him on blitzes off the edge. The strategy helped the '96 Packers hold opponents to just 13.1 points per game and total 26 interceptions against only 12 touchdown passes allowed." http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... sive-trend

Also, there was plenty of passing in the league that year w/the west coast offense in full bloom. Remember Steve Young and Jerry Rice? In fact the team w/the most rushing yds was Denver with 2363 yds, the team w/the most passing was Jacksonville with 4110 yds. In the '96 Super Bowl the two teams ran the ball 25 and 31 times and passed 23 and 49 times.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
dogorama":330mow0a said:
Okay cool, I think we get a little carried away with this idea that we are always ahead of the curve. Granted, they have been very good, but in this case they were behind the trend and it cost us last year. It just goes to show that you can never rest on your laurels in this league, we aren't the only team w/smart coaches.

Edit: BTW, Butler's role allowed GB to shut down the pass, not the run: "Shurmur's willingness to play Butler -- Green Bay's starting strong safety -- as a nickel back allowed him to deploy his best defensive back in coverage on tight ends and slot receivers, while also using him on blitzes off the edge. The strategy helped the '96 Packers hold opponents to just 13.1 points per game and total 26 interceptions against only 12 touchdown passes allowed." http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... sive-trend

Also, there was plenty of passing in the league that year w/the west coast offense in full bloom. Remember Steve Young and Jerry Rice? In fact the team w/the most rushing yds was Denver with 2363 yds, the team w/the most passing was Jacksonville with 4110 yds. In the '96 Super Bowl the two teams ran the ball 25 and 31 times and passed 23 and 49 times.

I stand corrected. Butler would play down in the box and cover TE or blitz. Just an all around defensive weapon I don't know if Kam has those types of coverage skills to stay with a WR or TE.

We are both on the right track the team was exposed more than a few times on 3 and 7 with a pass to the TE. The big play that set up the missed field goal aginst the Vikings was to the TE.

Also, Jacksonville 4110 would place them 14th in the NFL last season. 1996 only 4 teams had over 600 passing attempts 2015 15 teams attempted over 600 passes.

dogorama

Reaction score
sdog1981":u3cazv95 said:
Also, Jacksonville 4110 would place them 14th in the NFL last season. 1996 only 4 teams had over 600 passing attempts 2015 15 teams attempted over 600 passes.

The total yds notwithstanding, your assertion that teams rushed the ball 45 times a game is incorrect, every team in 1996 passed significantly more than they ran w/an average 532 passes over a 16 game season to an average 453 runs for an average of 28 runs per game, not 45. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1996/

Largent80

Reaction score
If teams are passing more we are so relying on Lane. Behind him is Simon, who has been very less than adequate. Hoping for this guy to "get it" is just that. The reality is we are very thin at CB.

DL looks good on paper which could help CB, however all of it is suspect before game 1.

LB is thin too. Morgan is SAM. Who is backing him if he goes out?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We are tremendously thin at LB and CB.

One of the reasons I was livid about us keeping 2 RBs that did nothing when we really needed to keep some slots open to develop some talent. Maybe the FO knows something about an up & coming talent we have in the wings at LB or CB that they did not show in the preseason.

I can only hope so because we are really going to either be struggling this year with this depth or some of these starters are going to be playing so much they will be sucking wind in the 4th. If we were worried about 4th quarter collapses by the D last year, this is not the path to rectifying it.

Again, we have to hope the FO is not just gambling they can get by here like they like to do at other positions.

dogorama

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":17an6k27 said:
We are tremendously thin at LB and CB.

One of the reasons I was livid about us keeping 2 RBs that did nothing when we really needed to keep some slots open to develop some talent. Maybe the FO knows something about an up & coming talent we have in the wings at LB or CB that they did not show in the preseason.

I can only hope so because we are really going to either be struggling this year with this depth or some of these starters are going to be playing so much they will be sucking wind in the 4th. If we were worried about 4th quarter collapses by the D last year, this is not the path to rectifying it.

Again, we have to hope the FO is not just gambling they can get by here like they like to do at other positions.

I think you make a good point, one additional reason for employing the 425 is that we don't have much confidence in the Sam position.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
After the draft, other people have talked about how the Seahawks would use these rookies. After I posted this the Seahawks lined up in 425 60% of the time. So it looks like this will be a lot more of what they are going to attempt to do with the talent they now have at safety and linebacker.

This is also a Seahawks specific article talking about how they lined up last season.

http://emeraldcityswagger.com/2017/04/0 ... 5-defense/

IrishNW

Reaction score
good read. I always thought Kam could play linebacker and I think to extend his career he will eventually make the switch. This defensive scheme would bridge the gap between the two positions and Kam Chancellor would be the new prototype player for it.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I wrote an extensive breakdown this morning on the 4-2-5 Defense and the "Big Nickel" package that it's pretty clear that the Hawks are going to be employing more of this year. You'll have to page down in the Defense Post-Draft Thread. I believe it was Post #18 [Dated this morning 5/3/2017]. In that post, I've included some excerpts from an article that Gary Patterson (TCU Head Coach) himself wrote on the 4-2-5 Defense among other things. If you're interested, go check it out ...

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136941

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2z1bo4bu said:
I wrote an extensive breakdown this morning on the 4-2-5 Defense and the "Big Nickel" package that it's pretty clear that the Hawks are going to be employing more of this year. You'll have to page down in the Defense Post-Draft Thread. I believe it was Post #18 [Dated this morning 5/3/2017]. In that post, I've included some excerpts from an article that Gary Patterson (TCU Head Coach) himself wrote on the 4-2-5 Defense among other things. If you're interested, go check it out ...

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136941

You did a much more in-depth look at the topic. This was from last season and showed that this kind of was the plan all along. Add to the fact they did very little in the way of adding a big name draft pick or free agent to address the SLB I think it will be safe to say the team is planning on running nickel for 60% or higher next season too.