The running game

zchurch74

Reaction score
On the first play of the game if Rawls follows his blockers to the outside and goes between the tackle to the outside he breaks it for a big game. But he cut it back inside and lost 2 yards. The guy has totally lost it

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2hivlwc5 said:
ImTheScientist":2hivlwc5 said:
Don’t use dominance and Rawls in the same sentence.he averaged 2.7ypc last night. He is awful. Bottom line is we need Lacy back. It’s a bummer he got injured.
Rawls rookie season was pure dominance. Don't act like you don't remember. .

He was awesome for an 8 game stretch. He has proven over the last 2 years that was a fluke. Don't act like thats not fact.

Dustin Ackley was awesome his rookie year for a short stretch..... proved to be a fluke. Same think with Rawls.

classicaaron

Reaction score
zchurch74":7vw0bv1i said:
On the first play of the game if Rawls follows his blockers to the outside and goes between the tackle to the outside he breaks it for a big game. But he cut it back inside and lost 2 yards. The guy has totally lost it

this, I have no idea what he was cutting back to or what could have possibly went through his mind. and this wasn't a designed cut back run either with the way the blocking was made. after that carry it knew it would be a rough night for the run game.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
I mean this is flat out the worst iv seen our run game, when you haven’t seen a big run all season it gets tiresome watching russ try and pull a rabbit outta the hat every play

xStickybudz

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":o30txegc said:
Don’t use dominance and Rawls in the same sentence.he averaged 2.7ypc last night. He is awful. Bottom line is we need Lacy back. It’s a bummer he got injured.

I disagree completely Rawls is not the answer and neither is Eddie. We need some new backs badly

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":8lq6gmso said:
HE WAS 10 for 27yards and had a 23 yard run. So he was 9 carries for 4 yards on the REST OF HIS RUNS.

The difference between Lacy and Rawls is that Lacy wouldnt have had that 23 yard run. Its Lacy that wont be on the team next year.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":105na6rx said:
Ad Hawk":105na6rx said:
If you were a Cardinals fan talking about their running game after tonight, what would you be saying tonight? AP was held to nearly 1yd/carry. Is that all on their O-line? AP being old? He torched SF last week. But that wasn't against our D-line and LBers.

No, we sold out to stop AP today like the Texans did to us. We knew Stanton wouldn't beat us; he's no AaronRod or RW. Teams can do that, you know... sell out to stop the run, and commit 8 to the box or to rushing, and force Russ into some bad throws.

Agree.

Big picture, most of the time the RB won't matter- at least among those on the active roster right now.

So are teams selling out to stop the run because they know they only need to be concerned with long-developing deeper passes? It almost seems there is something pre-snap tipping off a run play and teams are all over it. Is Ifedi's stance still the "tell"?

I haven't had the time to scout the o-line, but Ifedi basically false starts every play. The only reason it isn't called is because it's a split second before the ball is actually hiked so the refs let it go. He gives away the snap count on a regular basis, I wouldn't be surprised if his stance is tipping the play as well.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Place the blame solely at the feet of our OL and running game guru. The guy that is in full control of the running game.

getnasty

Reaction score
iigakusei":2c6bqcdn said:
Place the blame solely at the feet of our OL and running game guru. The guy that is in full control of the running game.

Part of me agrees but part of me says Chris Carson was looking good behind the same OL minus a huge upgrade at LT.

zchurch74

Reaction score
CJ Spiller is out there I think. He was with us last year for a short stint. Couldn't hurt to bring him in for a look. How would it get any worse, lol

mrt144

Reaction score
getnasty":2wmqp7zf said:
iigakusei":2wmqp7zf said:

Part of me agrees but part of me says Chris Carson was looking good behind the same OL minus a huge upgrade at LT.

Carson like ML is TCs ideal back. If TC doesnt have his ideal it blows.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Crizilla":2uopkgwd said:
The Oline just isnt good enough to have a good run game. RB doesnt matter at this point. The O-line just isn't good enough. They are out matched. Badly.

What he said :ditto:

AgentDib

Reaction score
The coaches couldn't have liked what they saw out of Rawls very much because they gave a bunch of his second half snaps to McKissic instead.

I know it's important to ignore the enemy defense in these sort of discussions, but we do play teams from time to time that know we like to run and so bring extra support to the line. It's reasonable to adjust your offense to take advantage of what the defense is doing and that is subtly different from simply abandoning the run game. If we hit on those early long shots then that could have led to more rushing attempts rather than fewer.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":n5x8chs9 said:
The problem is when they find something that works they abandon it to try something cute.

Certainly "one of them". It is to the point of comical the amount of times you see this. Something works then we abandon it completely. Just another clear sign of poor in game adjustments by this staff. I'm used to it, and thanks for the support group to deal with it. :2thumbs:

getnasty

Reaction score
Seymour":18f07jfa said:
chris98251":18f07jfa said:
The problem is when they find something that works they abandon it to try something cute.

Certainly "one of them". It is to the point of comical the amount of times you see this. Something works then we abandon it completely. Just another clear sign of poor in game adjustments by this staff. I'm used to it, and thanks for the support group to deal with it. :2thumbs:

What worked yesterday? Rawls had I run in 10 attempts that is not working. Thank god they changed there approach.

chris98251

Reaction score
getnasty":3k1z8y0l said:
Seymour":3k1z8y0l said:
chris98251":3k1z8y0l said:

What worked yesterday? Rawls had I run in 10 attempts that is not working. Thank god they changed there approach.

Short passing game, quick hitters, the runs that were not north and south so much, screen to the RB and not the bubble screen.

Then like a dream and waking up they disappeared.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Rawls was terrible last night, I had no problem with them abandoning the run in the second half. Take out Rawls 23 yard run by Rawls, which any RB could have ran through, and he had 9 carries for 4 yards. We really need Lacy.

chet380

Reaction score
No replay so I have to ask -- did Prosise have a 10-12 yd run that was called back for a penalty?

renofox

Reaction score
Although it may appear that the running game was ineffective, it is hard to determine its true effectiveness without taking into account how it changes defensive playcalling. To break down every play is too complicated in this setting, but looking at the results yields some interesting possible interpretations.

RAWLS RUNS:
down direction result
1st Half;
2-5 middle -3
1-10 LT 2
1-10 middle 3
1-10 LE 2
1-10 middle 1
1-10 LT 1

1-10 LT 0
3-1 middle 23
1-10 LE -1
2nd Half;
1-10 RT -1

Also, there have been numerous complaints that the Seahawks have been failing to utilize the short passing game effectively, especially in regards to RB passes out of the backfield.

RB PASSES:
2-7 short right McK 9 THESE 4 RUNS AND 1 PASS SUSTAINED TD DRIVE
2-22 short middle rawls 7
1-10 short middle rawls 5
1-10 short left McK 7 THESE 2 PASSES AND 1 RUN SUSTAINED FG DRIVE

2-7 short left McK inc
1-10 short left McK 9 THIS PASS OCCURED DURING FG DRIVE
3-5 short left McK -5

The first thing that I notice is, with the exception of the very first play call and the 23 yard run, every carry by Rawls was on 1st and 10. While watching the game, I noticed that in the first half almost every 1st and 10 call was a run or RB pass (10/14). It seemed to me that the AZ defense keyed on this and consistently called some variation of run blitz which resulted in stuffs, and in instant pressure the few times RW did drop back to pass.

The second thing I notice is the high success rate of passes to the RBs (6/7). Most of these were to RB lined up in backfield at the snap - the incompletion and the 5y loss were both when McK lined up as a receiver pre-snap.

The third thing I notice is that, while it did not look pretty, when the Seahawks did use the RBs, they were much more likely to score than when they did not. The RBs were an integral part of all three 1st half scores - the drives where they were not utilized were unsuccessful. When the Seahawks went away from the running game for the 2nd half, their only score for the half was due to the miracle RW/Baldwin 54 yard pass completion.

Overall, the run game may not be pretty but it can be effective. I think a little more creativity is in order. How about running more often on other than 1-10? How about a few more designed passes (including some screens, maybe?) to the RBs out of the backfield? If the OC can just show a little more creativity and imagination in utilizing the RBs, I believe the running game can improve steadily and dramatically by the time the playoffs get here.

As to Rawls, he has missed a lot of holes so far, but he is showing small signs of improvement. He has only had 49 carries on the season - give him more carries/game and I'd bet he shows consistent and marked improvement week-to-week.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Too bad the Seahawks didn't make a trade for Jay Ajayi. Philly only gave up a 4th round pick for him. He's a back that has good yards after contact numbers. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...r-contact-per-attempt/SelIUACz4UeP1rKCT2z0iN/. Yes the Seahawks OL is terrible at run blocking but sounds like Ajayi is the type of back that can overcome that with his style (sort of like lynch) plus he doesn't have weight issues.