The running game

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The running game? What running game?

Things have gone downhill for two seasons after Lynch. The personnel here @ RB is not that capabable and the running coaching from our Asst. HC (aka "the running game coordinator") seems obviously weak or ineffective as is the play of his OLline. Lacy has been a big waste of a roster spot. Rawls is not the same guy he was before he broke his leg and he is not running with the patience he did before his injury. Prosise is never available b/c he can't play for mor than a few series without getting hurt then being out for extended periods of time. McKisaac is a bright spot but unsuited for any regular duty as he is too small. The assessment of talent seems as well to be somewhat flawed as Collins drafted in the 4th rd. was cut and he's playing lights out for Baltimore as have a few other players who have done well elsewhere.

The team unfortunately has kept the bums and given away the others. In the preseason when the team had 10 bodies they could choose from I thought they would finally figure things out but apparently not as the focus upon the run has been a clear and total failure. It's time to at least look at Davis.

Tinymac2

Reaction score
In all fairness, DB went down last night. LJ was already out. I love a good running game but It wasn't happening. Our saving grace is RW can produce behind a make shift line.

I think we're all underwhelmed by our backs since Carson was injured and AC left. Someone needs to step up and be the man.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
renofox":4rnklxub said:
Although it may appear that the running game was ineffective, it is hard to determine its true effectiveness without taking into account how it changes defensive playcalling. To break down every play is too complicated in this setting, but looking at the results yields some interesting possible interpretations.

RAWLS RUNS:
down direction result
1st Half;
2-5 middle -3
1-10 LT 2
1-10 middle 3
1-10 LE 2
1-10 middle 1
1-10 LT 1

1-10 LT 0
3-1 middle 23
1-10 LE -1
2nd Half;
1-10 RT -1

Also, there have been numerous complaints that the Seahawks have been failing to utilize the short passing game effectively, especially in regards to RB passes out of the backfield.

RB PASSES:
2-7 short right McK 9 THESE 4 RUNS AND 1 PASS SUSTAINED TD DRIVE
2-22 short middle rawls 7
1-10 short middle rawls 5
1-10 short left McK 7 THESE 2 PASSES AND 1 RUN SUSTAINED FG DRIVE

2-7 short left McK inc
1-10 short left McK 9 THIS PASS OCCURED DURING FG DRIVE
3-5 short left McK -5

The first thing that I notice is, with the exception of the very first play call and the 23 yard run, every carry by Rawls was on 1st and 10. While watching the game, I noticed that in the first half almost every 1st and 10 call was a run or RB pass (10/14). It seemed to me that the AZ defense keyed on this and consistently called some variation of run blitz which resulted in stuffs, and in instant pressure the few times RW did drop back to pass.

The second thing I notice is the high success rate of passes to the RBs (6/7). Most of these were to RB lined up in backfield at the snap - the incompletion and the 5y loss were both when McK lined up as a receiver pre-snap.

The third thing I notice is that, while it did not look pretty, when the Seahawks did use the RBs, they were much more likely to score than when they did not. The RBs were an integral part of all three 1st half scores - the drives where they were not utilized were unsuccessful. When the Seahawks went away from the running game for the 2nd half, their only score for the half was due to the miracle RW/Baldwin 54 yard pass completion.

Overall, the run game may not be pretty but it can be effective. I think a little more creativity is in order. How about running more often on other than 1-10? How about a few more designed passes (including some screens, maybe?) to the RBs out of the backfield? If the OC can just show a little more creativity and imagination in utilizing the RBs, I believe the running game can improve steadily and dramatically by the time the playoffs get here.

As to Rawls, he has missed a lot of holes so far, but he is showing small signs of improvement. He has only had 49 carries on the season - give him more carries/game and I'd bet he shows consistent and marked improvement week-to-week.

Nice job. Appreciate the research. Sometimes I feel like Bevell is trying to fill a quota then has an excuse to do what he wants. When we get first downs followed by a diversity of play calls good stuff happens. That said, seems like a drive killing penalty kills all of that every time.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Carson did alright running with that shitty o line...the other rbs can't do it..why? Cuz they are shitty...Rawls Lacey and Procise will not be back hopefully

Anthony!

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2h2e74da said:
If you were a Cardinals fan talking about their running game after tonight, what would you be saying tonight? AP was held to nearly 1yd/carry. Is that all on their O-line? AP being old? He torched SF last week. But that wasn't against our D-line and LBers.

No, we sold out to stop AP today like the Texans did to us. We knew Stanton wouldn't beat us; he's no AaronRod or RW. Teams can do that, you know... sell out to stop the run, and commit 8 to the box or to rushing, and force Russ into some bad throws.

They can do that with any QB.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
We have no running game. What difference does it make anyway? Lets say we run for 2 yards on first and second down and we are sitting on 3rd and 6. Bevell enjoys calling 50 yard bombs on third and anything less than 10 anyways.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":wlipevyz said:
Don’t use dominance and Rawls in the same sentence.he averaged 2.7ypc last night. He is awful. Bottom line is we need Lacy back. It’s a bummer he got injured.

Hmm, an awful 2.7 Rawls averaged you say? What a coincidence because that's what your fat bastard hero Lacy is averaging this entire season-2.7. 48 carries for 127 mule plodding yards and 0 TD. So yes definitely let's center our whole offense around a walrus with a pulled groin.

Your bizarre and warped obsession with Lacy is either concerning or pure trolling.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Pete made mistake by firing Smith as the rb coach and assigning more responsibility to Cable. That's why the run game is even worse than last year. Until that changes these issues will continue. Cable is the problem with the run game. Need to cut the problem at its source.

olyfan63

Reaction score
classicaaron":2klavnq6 said:
zchurch74":2klavnq6 said:
On the first play of the game if Rawls follows his blockers to the outside and goes between the tackle to the outside he breaks it for a big game. But he cut it back inside and lost 2 yards. The guy has totally lost it

this, I have no idea what he was cutting back to or what could have possibly went through his mind. and this wasn't a designed cut back run either with the way the blocking was made. after that carry it knew it would be a rough night for the run game.

Reminds me of the play earlier this season where Rawls had a big run in progress, then chose to outrun his blockers, and forfeited about 20+ yards he could have easily had by simply being aware he had blockers, and using them, instead of acting like it was him against the world. Don't remember which game, but was struck by the lack of situational awareness in this decision by Rawls.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2qh68fo9 said:
ImTheScientist":2qh68fo9 said:
Don’t use dominance and Rawls in the same sentence.he averaged 2.7ypc last night. He is awful. Bottom line is we need Lacy back. It’s a bummer he got injured.

Hmm, an awful 2.7 Rawls averaged you say? What a coincidence because that's what your fat bastard hero Lacy is averaging this entire season-2.7. 48 carries for 127 mule plodding yards and 0 TD. So yes definitely let's center our whole offense around a walrus with a pulled groin.

Your bizarre and warped obsession with Lacy is either concerning or pure trolling.

I agree Lacy is pure garbage running the ball just an absolute waste of a roster spot. Rawls as bad as he's been at least gives me some sense of a threat back there.