The Unapologetic, Exigent 2019 Uniform Thread

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Confused by the helmet rule, seems the bears will wear a throwback with a different helmet this year.

Crizilla

Reaction score
new rule, those who dont like the silver helmets shouldnt be allowed to post

chris98251

Reaction score
Their helmet color stays the same just different Decals, much like the Packers removing their G.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Seanhawk":49vrek7s said:
Lots of college teams use several different helmets, especially the larger programs. Have they actually looked into whether there's actually a higher frequency of head injuries in college?

The fact is, it was a hollow, empty gesture the NFL made that had no affect on safety that they hoped would stop people from complaining because executives, in pretty much any field, generally think people are idiots.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Any "new or alternate" helmet you see any team in the NFL adorn this year or beyond (until they change the stupid rule) are simply decals over their existing helmets.

Using the Seahawks as an example, I would suppose, if it was desired by the Powers That Be, a decal wrap could work where the silver base is actually part of the decal wrap itself. I have no idea what the practicality would be but it would be a potential option worth exploring until the NFL pulls their heads out.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Why not wrap the helmets in colored vinyl? I’ve seen that done with cars, and it looks great!

Full-cover wraps are impractical and unsafe, because they make it hard to see if a helmet has been damaged.

Trust me, if there were an easy solution, they would have done it by now. Most equipment managers, who know a lot more about helmets than you or I, want to solve this problem, and I can assure you that they’ve gone through all of the obvious (and many not-so-obvious) approaches to it. If they haven’t come up with a solution, it’s because no good solution is available, at least for now.

With all the advances in helmet technology that we keep hearing about, is there a chance that the NFL might drop the rule?

Sure. But for now they’re sticking with it.

Didn’t a team recently try to get the rule changed?

Yes. At the owners’ meetings that took place in Phoenix in March of 2017, the Eagles proposed a rule change to allow teams to have an alternate helmet, which would have effectively killed the one-shell rule. But they later withdrew the proposal after team owner Jeffrey Lurie was told that it didn’t have enough support to pass.

I hate this rule! There are all sorts of great throwbacks (Pat Patriot, Bucco Bruce, etc.) that we don’t get to see anymore. Don’t they realize that they’re ruining throwbacks? And think of all the extra merchandise they could sell!

It’s funny — people often complain that the NFL trots out throwbacks and alternates just as a way to sell merchandise. But when the league does something in the name of safety — something that actually cuts down on the amount of merchandise, because it eliminates the possibility of certain throwback designs — people complain about that too.

https://uni-watch.com/an-faq-for-the-nfls-helmet-rule/

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good link Bruce, thanks for sharing that. I still am of the opinion that this league could certainly afford to offer two helmets per player. One that is the regular, current helmet design and one that is the "retro/alternate" design. I am not sure why that remains to be so complicated? Both helmets are identical in every fashion except for the paint job.

:229031_shrug:

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Don’t college teams often have, like, a different helmet every game?

It hasn’t quite reached that level yet. But yes, many college teams do have multple helmet sets, because the NCAA hasn’t adopted a rule similar to the NFL’s.

Why not?

The NCAA apparently doesn’t feel the break-in period for a new helmet is such a big concern.

So is the NCAA putting players at risk, or is the NFL being over-cautious?

I’m not a neuroscientist, so I’m not in a position to answer that question. In 2013, not long after the NFL rule was announced, I interviewed a bunch of NCAA equipment managers from schools with multiple helmet sets, and they all said they feel like they’re doing a good job of protecting their players (although that’s pretty much what you’d expect them to say). I also interviewed an NFL equipment manager, who had a lot of interesting things to say about the NFL rule. I recommend that you read both of those pieces.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ll-helmets

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/969 ... fl-helmets

chris98251

Reaction score
If they can wrap up a vehicle with any advertisement they should be able to do a helmet for one game.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Aros":1w0m9tqs said:
Good link Bruce, thanks for sharing that. I still am of the opinion that this league could certainly afford to offer two helmets per player. One that is the regular, current helmet design and one that is the "retro/alternate" design. I am not sure why that remains to be so complicated? Both helmets are identical in every fashion except for the paint job.

:229031_shrug:

But what if?

What if we were forced by rule to use our “alternate” logo?

That would suck Donkey Balls.
a3615f515f8607d07804d6580cdf1a9d.jpg

Be very Careful what you wish for.

Retro yes
Alternate no

:{)

pmedic920

Reaction score
chris98251":17pub1a6 said:
If they can wrap up a vehicle with any advertisement they should be able to do a helmet for one game.

It’s already been established.
Complete vinyl wrap makes it too difficult to detect damage that may render the protective property of the helmet useless.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Damn you Lon, seeing that gross alternate logo made me throw up a little in my mouth.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
An alternate logo and paint scheme for each team has absolutely zero bearing on player safety. They can't provide another color to wear because of safety? They already have 32 distinct variants and call those safe. Allowing additional colors poses zero threat to player safety. This is asinine. Make the throwback helmets happen, NFL.

Latest posts