Things that must change this season...

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
For me:

1. Slow start to the season. Arizona has twice shot out of the gate quickly, while we stumbled. Arizona is ascending and we can't afford to spot them another 2 game lead heading into October like the last two seasons.

If we want to compete for championships -- winning the division is a huge indicator of success.

2. Defense needs to be the reason we win games, not the reason we lose them.

Our defense is what has the star players and the side that gets paid. When the offense gives them late leads, they are supposed to protect them. That's our blueprint. The stars of the team didn't play like it and we lost games we had in hand. They can't underachieve again.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1z4tm54d said:
Sports Hernia":1z4tm54d said:
Offensive play calling needs to be much better, especially in the first half. Less bubble screens and less empty sets.

Offensive line needs to be better.

Jimmy Graham is not a blocking TE, realize this fact, and use him like they did in NO.

Covering the TE MUST BE BETTER!

Russ at times needs to realize that a play is dead (usually due to horrific blocking) and don't turn a loss into a huge loss.

Clock management needs to be better.

Yes.

And I am still stunned at the aborted/whatever it was onside/pooch kick attempt to start OT vs. STL. What the heck.

It seem's to me that in lieu of extensive game planning what the staff does is use the first half the feel out a defense then plan at the half. I agree with most of what has already been shared but I'd like to add that some consistency from the center position especially on shot gun snaps makes a big difference to our offense. Russ shouldn't have to play QB & short stop at the same time while attempting to read the defense.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Tical21":6f8zioqx said:
NINEster":6f8zioqx said:
A thought on covering TEs....

Is it possible that the Carroll scheme overcompensates to shut down WRs and maybe TEs benefit from it?

I know it's hard to fathom that there's any sort of chink in the armor with the Seahawk defense, but it's impossible to shut everything down all the time. You'll need '85 Bears level talent to do so, and modern NFL free agency & salary cap won't allow that unless you luck out drafting all of those guys.

Don't forget that out of your starting 11, you've only got special players at FS/SS/LCB/MLB who are going to contribute in any way to pass coverage. Bennett & Avril getting to the QB affects the pass coverage equally unless TEs get open faster than WRs. Maybe Browner returning helps.

I can't speak to the rest of your DBs but the outsider perception is that they are good but not great.

I think you guys need another top shelf LB like Carolina has and what the 49ers used to have. That way you can go 1 on 1 without pulling Robert out of run stopping/general MLB duty.
I think you're forgetting that KJ Wright is considered one of the very best zone cover LB's in the league.

The problem we run into is that our two LB's need to carry the seam and deeper post routes, but opposing coordinators love to stretch that zone with a TE and then run an angle or crossing route underneath it. Our LB's sometimes get sick of giving up those 5 yard passes at-will, so they anticipate and don't carry the TE all the way to the FS. Opposing coordinators are really making our LB's make decisions and trying to mess with their pride. I think you'll see us go back to giving up the underneath stuff more often.

This is not on the backers. The staff needs to tinker a bit with the schemes.

RussB

Reaction score
The offense should come out firing from week one, last year it took them half a season to figure out that its not a power run team anymore but more of a spread out fast paced offense. Seriously cannot wait for the season to start

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RussB":1i29k1zr said:
The offense should come out firing from week one, last year it took them half a season to figure out that its not a power run team anymore but more of a spread out fast paced offense. Seriously cannot wait for the season to start

Unfortunately, with the relative weakness of our first half schedule, I'm guessing Pete will likely feel like he has room to try to go back to the power run for a while.

RussB

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1nl51k22 said:
RussB":1nl51k22 said:

Unfortunately, with the relative weakness of our first half schedule, I'm guessing Pete will likely feel like he has room to try to go back to the power run for a while.
Really hope they dont go back to it, it would almost be like a step back. Offensive identity has changed and they probably know that.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1nzp8w6y said:
RussB":1nzp8w6y said:

And that could be the best strategy.

If we still have the power run game at our disposal -- it's best to determine that against opponents that may illuminate that facet of the game.

I would hope though that we don't do that just to find out what kind of team we are. We really shouldn't be spending the first six weeks trying to see what we have. I'd hope we know that before the third week of preseason.

Arizona is too good to give away games. Eleven wins may not be enough to win the division. We may need to be 4-1 heading to Arizona in week 7 to make a run at the division.

Arizona's schedule looks pretty flush with wins on paper. I expect this season will be all about holding serve type of wins between the contenders.

Largent80

Reaction score
^ This is why when people say "hopefully we get Graham back for the playoffs " is such BS. Playoffs are NEVER guaranteed and we barely made it in last year.

#EarlyGamesMatter.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
dogorama":1wq595ef said:
IndyHawk":1wq595ef said:
FlyingGreg":1wq595ef said:
chris98251":1wq595ef said:
To predictable and not creative has us as the top 5 defenses yet that's not good enough, you after really remember the handicapped secondary last year with Williams and Kam out early on, that limits your creativity yet we still were in the top in many categories, not having to deal with the hold out and Williams along with fatigue and hangover I think we would have been fine.Only way some people will be happy is a turnover every possession and a TD return I guess. At least you wouldn't need to see bad clock management and Britt then.

We played some really second-rate offenses. That helped.

That defense got slapped by the Panthers.

I am not sure why stating we need to be better against TEs and have a killer instinct would make anyone get butt hurt. Our D needs to evolve. Simple.

Some people are happy with stats and rankings I guess.
That defense got slapped?The offense had no part in TO's on our side of field including a pick 6?What did our D do in 2nd half?It was our offense using a rusty Beast and no spread with silly TO's that killed us

I don't think that the implication of this thread is to lie it all on the defense as much as it is to simply discuss areas that could use improvement on both the D and the O. In either case you take away the 4th qtr collapses and we win 13-14 games and have home field advantage through the playoffs. What I saw was an O that played too vanilla protecting the ball and a D seemingly confused at times. Is that far off the mark?
I agree with you but he fails to use the right game to make his point (D slapped) other than that I actually agree with most of the post.We have Brandon back just to fix a big part of the problem which is TE's in just about every game last year.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle's excellent run defense and strength against short passing puts them in strong position to play from behind in games. Rarely, a team like 2014 Dallas or 2015 Carolina will grind a game out and beat us, but most teams can't do it. For that reason, I'm not all that freaked out by the slow starts offensively, so long as Seattle is controlling the game or at least hanging on.

As far as Seattle being the bully again. While I appreciate the thought, the sad truth is that you can only be as imposing as your personnel. We just lost Lynch, Mebane, and Irvin, replacing them with players who aren't quite on the same level as game-wreckers. Our offseason additions weren't finesse per se, but it felt like it was more of a spread offense friendly offseason than an inline blocking knock their teeth out one. Which is fine, btw. In fact, I think this year Seattle can set new records for regular season wins and DVOA, but only if they embrace their personnel for who they truly are. And what the current team has become is something closer to being the Ohio State of the NFL than the Alabama of the NFL. If Seattle tries to be the bully with the current personnel, it will go over about as well as the 4th quarter of the Cincy game. If they focus instead on building on the second half of 2015 as an mismatch creating team, they could potentially run the table.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":k1psyqih said:
MontanaHawk05":k1psyqih said:
RussB":k1psyqih said:

And that could be the best strategy.

If we still have the power run game at our disposal -- it's best to determine that against opponents that may illuminate that facet of the game.

I would hope though that we don't do that just to find out what kind of team we are. We really shouldn't be spending the first six weeks trying to see what we have. I'd hope we know that before the third week of preseason.

Arizona is too good to give away games. Eleven wins may not be enough to win the division. We may need to be 4-1 heading to Arizona in week 7 to make a run at the division.

Arizona's schedule looks pretty flush with wins on paper. I expect this season will be all about holding serve type of wins between the contenders.

I'm fine with a little experimentation, but not to the extent that Pete usually does it. There's been a ridiculous amount of experimentation in the first half of seasons, and in the first half of games, under Pete in Seattle. Most people have interpreted it as Bevell stupidity, and there is a little of that in there (quit with the deep bombs on 3rd and 2 in the 4th quarter, Darell). But a lot of it is Pete, I suspect. Wanting to try things, wanting to bury the playbook until November. Last year, with Lynch sidelined, it finally bit them in the butt.

I think Pete would be a lot better off storming out of the gate with a quick passing game, getting some cushion on the scoreboard, and then looking for some experimentation. Playing from behind isn't something to be blase over now that we're searching for life after Lynch. Take less risks, Pete.

chris98251

Reaction score
This whole draft was about attitude players, they are also very smart Germain Ifedi has a mean streak, has nastiness, Rees Odhiambo is relentless, Quinton Jefferson another kid with a nasty side, Alex Collins RB that delivers blows.

It has to show up in games though, I know that Pete and John stated they wanted that attitude and swagger and physicality back. I think we will see it, especially with a healthy Kam and Earl on defense, Vannett maybe able to knock some snot out of guys with his blocking, Rawls delivers a punch but just isn't the guy that hurts people to tackle, we need that presence and maybe this is where Collins makes his mark.

Would love a bit of Nasty on our line also, I will take a penalty or two a game for intimidation, it is sure to be less then all the false starts in previous seasons. That and a notice sent out not to have late hits or after the whistle jabs at our QB that has been going on and our Lineman walk away, Talking to you Okung and Britt.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
All that really needs to change is to start quicker in every game and as far as the season is concerned.

The horses are here and the team has real depth and the experience of not quite getting it done.

No doubt the Oline will remain a work in progress, but I like the depth the team has to choose from.

I think if they start quickly it will be a season to remember.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3bqm554i said:
All that really needs to change is to start quicker in every game and as far as the season is concerned.

The horses are here and the team has real depth and the experience of not quite getting it done.

No doubt the Oline will remain a work in progress, but I like the depth the team has to choose from.

I think if they start quickly it will be a season to remember.

Start fast, yes. But finishing was a huge problem last season. Pete prides himself and the mantra "it's not how you start, it's how you finish."

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think Pete has realized that we need to start well, especially after chasing AZ all last year, and then they go and have a great offseason of additions. Relying on Palmer to get hurt isn't going to be a winning formula.

Looking at who we drafted, we definitely are going to go back to being the bully. Odiambho, Ifedi, Britt (who is a nasty run blocker), and Collins in the backfield, with guys like Reed and Jefferson to go with the DL. In addition to shoring up the trenches with nasty athletes, we brought in Browner and Clemons. I get the hybrid role for Browner, but Clemons was an attitude addition. Our defense seemed a bit soft and unsure a good portion of last season. We're getting Nasty back, and it's going to feel good.

Our OL is set up to be a nasty run blocking crew. They're all very large, athletic, and long. Last year, we saw a few physical mismatches where guys just flat out lost at the point of attack. Lewis and Gilliam come to mind. Sliding Gilliam to the left side alleviates some of this, and looking at the rest....Glowinski, Britt (who rarely gets physically dominated, he's just not assignment correct a lot), Ifedi and Webb are guys that are going to win almost every one on one match up. We're not going to get beat physically this year. Then couple that with the speed we have outside, the quickness in the slot, and the speed we've added to the backfield, and it's a very complimentary group of players at every level.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
In the critical games they lost it seemed like it was a slow start to each game that beat them. They just let Carolina ahead too much before putting the O in gear, Carolina was lucky to have won but like several other losses the slow start beat them. The same was true as far as their schedule although then it was the D that needed tweaking along with adjusting for an abysmal OLine. The late losses only happened early last year. Once the CB situation was fixed, and Williams was replaced, things got better defensively, even though they remained vulnerable to the TE seam routes.

We all seem complacent to accept that the Hawks had the best scoring D last season for the 3rd season in a row. That result happend even after a terrible start to the season Ithink we may se a beeter D this year and am hopeful that the D regains it's title as not only the best scoring D but the the best D in every other category.