This can't be real

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
Yeah I have a feeling a lot of those who are celebrating this jumped on that bandwagon over the last 12 years. You have no idea what mediocrity is. I pray you're right.
Thank you! They have no idea how good they had it! They will inevitably be calling for Dan Quinn or whoever his replacement is if they don't win the SB in one year

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Yeah I have a feeling a lot of those who are celebrating this jumped on that bandwagon over the last 12 years. You have no idea what mediocrity is. I pray you're right.
Some of them yeah...some of them are vets I know have been around since the Kitna years and longer, so I know they've seen mediocrity before. Just wanting to be fair.

Reactions: EWA

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I thought it was time for Pete to go and I love Pete. But this was the first year I felt he lost the team. That Pittsburgh game was that bad.

It’s felt so much like the Dennis Erickson years.

Pete is 72. I’ve known dozens of 70+year old people and fully believe that the only people that believe 70 year olds should run things are 70 year olds. You can have all the energy in the world but that brain is still losing neurons every day.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The Seahawks have been my team since Rick Mirer, and I'm completely fine with this.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Thank you! They have no idea how good they had it! They will inevitably be calling for Dan Quinn or whoever his replacement is if they don't win the SB in one year

Not true. Everybody was aware of how we had it and nothing was happening for a long time. If the next regime fails, so be it. Something had to change.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Not true. Everybody was aware of how we had it and nothing was happening for a long time. If the next regime fails, so be it. Something had to change.
Yeah, seriously. You can’t expect to win forever and you definitely can’t have mediocrity to continue forever as well.

The “good” teams today were not always good before.

They had to be bad for some time in order to make an impact today as good teams now.

I don’t understand why the thought is you will never find another coach that can win again.

Before Carroll people thought Holmgren was as good as it’ll be.

Before DeBoer people thought Petersen was as good as it’ll be.

And so and so on.

All it is, is understanding limits and some times change is needed.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
The writing was on the wall. Carroll was going to be gone within a season or two anyways.
I'd think this would be consensus. Maybe some of the frustration is that he didn't go out completely on his own terms. Would it feel better to some if he simply retired?

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
Th bad take for saying Pete wasn't the guy. Being chastised for it for 4 years, only to be proven right?
Just because he was forced out doesn't mean you were proven right. If anything a new coach could fail spectacularly and the move will be regretted

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean, you're ALWAYS right.

Don't forget to watch those tanking Rams in the Playoffs. BOOK IT!
he's like me in that regard, even a broken record is right twice a day. Make 100 predictions we eventually get a couple of em

Ozzy

Reaction score
Not being snarky but just not a fan of this thought process. It was reasonable to want to keep Pete one more year and because of a lot of things that went on its also reasonable to make a move now. I don't think either position make anyone any lesser of a fan, dumb, bandwagon or whatever......both positions are defendable.

Wolfiegrrl

Reaction score
Ever been stuck on the freeway in the left lane behind some slow driver that refuses to move over?

I felt this way with Pete. Love the guy for what he was able to do with the team. 10 out of 14 playoff seasons. Two trips to the Superbowl and we came away with the trophy in one. Great accomplishments. I have mad respect for this man.

However, Pete is the damned driver of that car that won't go faster, won't move over, and let's everyone behind him sit at 55mph. He was too comfortable in "not losing" that he forgot what it was to dominate.

Sometimes change for change's sake is good. We may turn to crap or we may return to the Superbowl. At least we won't be stuck in "not losing".

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I thought it was time for Pete to go and I love Pete. But this was the first year I felt he lost the team. That Pittsburgh game was that bad.

It’s felt so much like the Dennis Erickson years.

Pete is 72. I’ve known dozens of 70+year old people and fully believe that the only people that believe 70 year olds should run things are 70 year olds. You can have all the energy in the world but that brain is still losing neurons every day.

You don't know the right people in their 70s.

The statistician I most admire in the world (and I've been calling him that since before I knew Dennis Lindley had died) is 77, and even though he technically retired several years ago, he's still extremely active in theoretical-statistics research. Every time I talk to him, I learn something new or get a completely new way of looking at something. His body is failing him - he has serious problems in a hip and now in one of his eyes, so it's now very hard for him to read and write, but his ability to think about probability theory and statistics is still at a level few will ever achieve even in their 20s and 30s. So he's pretty much the opposite of what you said about Carroll. The guy only published one paper in 2023, largely because of his physical issues, but he published four in 2022, nine in 2021, and five in 2020.

The physicist I most admired in the world was Leo Kadanoff. I consider him the greatest physicist I ever met, even though he never won a Nobel Prize and I've met several who have. I guess I should mention that when Ken Wilson won the Nobel in 1982, he expressed surprise that Leo was not honored along with him, and that what he did was basically to carry Leo's ideas forward. Leo died at age 78 in 2015. He was still producing significant theoretical-physics papers well into his 70s.