This Is a Statement Game.

smashmouth59

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":xenmx1vd said:
The only (generic) 'statement' that matters is to win. I don't give a rip if other teams 'respect and fear' the Seahawks - it helps nobody whether they do or not. But in talking 'statements' that can actually help, by making a team like Atlanta think twice:

On Offense:

It didn't happen last week despite my wishes but I hope against hope that the running game makes a big statement this week. That can really mess with a D plan.

Since ATL is missing Trufant, which was at least as big a blow to their already-feeble pass-defense as what losing ET meant to Seattle's much-better all around pass D, it would be nice to show deep-shot ability to the likes of PRich.

On Defense:

A strong day by the LOB may help, to cause Ryan uncertainty about if Julio can get on track without the likes of RS picking him for INTs again while covering JJ.

We already have the best rush D in the NFL, no statement needed there - Just Win.

This is exactly the type of optimism is am talking about. Lets not even discus the Lions. On to Atlanta...

Bobblehead

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":7xr7qu5l said:
Yes, it is a statement game! We're going to come out of the closet and show the world what we're all about.

Wait, so your saying, were something different that we have been this year, or the past 4 or 5 seasons and the world doesn't know? :)

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
smashmouth59":287svfn2 said:
This is exactly the type of optimism is am talking about. Lets not even discuss the Lions. On to Atlanta...
I was discussing what 'statement' would be good to see out of the Lions game (Just Win!), the reference to ATL was about what any statements might mean after winning the Lions game. Sorry if that was not clear.

smashmouth59

Reaction score
I wanted to make this same post. I talked to my brother for an hour last night (our entire relationship is based on debating Seahawks stratagem) and we both agree. We need to make the Lions a stepping stone. If we don't come out and completely demolish them, I will not be optimistic about our chances in Atlanta.

However,

If we come out on the opening drive and run Thomas Rawls down their throat and throw a td to Jimmy or Doug you will sit in your chair and rethink your pompous pessimism. If we follow that up with a MB sack and a 3 and out you will be reminded of who we are. I see things like P-rich and T-Mcavoy breaking out... just like every other Seahawks playoff season. We will witness magic. Dare to dream. We have seen both ends of this team. I can't imagine we shit the bed in the big show.

StoneCold

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":35kirmzx said:
Hard to tell with this team. Wildly inconsistent.

I thought New England was our "we have arrived" game, and then we scored 5 points in Tampa, got punched in the mouth in Green Bay, lost to a depleted Arizona team at C Link, and barely beat arguably the worst team in the NFL.

We could see any version of the Seahawks show up, but I am counting on the good one.

Summed up perfectly. I thought our SF game was a microcosm of the year. Yes we won, but we didn't look good doing it. Anything could happen from a 1 and done to SB champs. Every game is going to be a roller coaster ride and I'm getting on.

Largent80

Reaction score
We've been too inconsistent to make a statement. If we win 2 in a row with one on the road then I would say that is a statement.

But right now, this team seems like its in survival mode.

Own The West

Reaction score
I agree with Largent. We haven't played a full 60 minutes all season.

Right now we need a 4-game win streak though, no matter how it looks.

LolaRox

Reaction score
It's playoff time and the only statement that matters is win or go home.

I don't care if its ugly, win and keep this thing moving.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Anything can happen in the NFL because outcomes are probabilistic rather than deterministic. We aren't guaranteed to win or lose despite our personnel and if you let single outcomes define your entire opinion of a team then you're throwing away the other thousands of pieces of information you've gained this season if you've been following them closely. A win does not mean we are flawless and a loss does not mean we are irreversibly flawed.

Fortunately this is both a home game and an evening game. The Seahawks play very well in both; we've beaten the spread in something like 75% of our last 26 night games. As a result, fair odds are something around 5/6 or so in favor of our team. Every team can roll a 1 occasionally though and that possibility is exactly what makes the playoffs entertaining.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
The only real statement to come out of this game is either "We advanced" or "We're disappointed."

The Hawks are 8 point favorites at home and despite the turmoil and wildly erratic play, are still expected to take care of business. The game will likely be tight though, could possibly go either way, but even with a win, Atlanta will be waiting to attempt to expose our many deficiencies.

Sealake80

Reaction score
Advancing in the playoffs is a statement. This randomass fan will state again... ALL playoff games are statement games. Get pumped yall its PLAYOFFS time to make a statement!