This is Baldwin's team

chris98251

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2ycdxwpz said:
White Devil":2ycdxwpz said:
The engine of the team was Lynch with Russ driving.

The engine of this team is Baldwin with, get this, Russ driving.

I get the Russ love and I'm on board. I agree that he takes the team where they go, but he doesn't do it alone, and especially not this year with his lack of faith in the o-line. What moves the offense when they need a play, is Baldwin. It should be Jimmy, but Jimmy has almost officially checked out.

@Seymour - sorry don't know the history of posts every poster makes here.

@Scorpion05 - Have you seen what Kearse has been doing on another offense? I assume you've seen what Tate has been doing on another offense? I think the Pedestrian moniker was never accurate.

@Sgt. Largent - The game yesterday would have been very different without the consistency of Doug on 3rd down.

Reflecting on my comments and the replies, maybe engine isn't the appropriate term. Spark Plug, may fit better. However without the spark plug, the engine doesn't fire, so the point remains. Doug has been a huge key to the success of this offense and Russ over the last season and a half. He's stepped his game up big time and should be acknowledged for his role.

Yea, with respect I still don't buy it

A car can't be "driven" without an engine. When Lynch was here he was the driver, not the engine. At this point, with no O-line or Running Game, Russ is BOTH the engine AND the driver

I simply don't understand why praise for the best franchise QB in our history is met with such resistance. Why are people "homers" or "apologists" or blind for recognizing Russell's greatness for what it is (not referencing you specifically just a general point)? He's avoiding the rush, he's not making a lot of mistakes on offense. Every objective metric suggests that he's keeping this offense afloat. Almost every NFL analyst praises Russell Wilson for what he's had to overcome. The offense does not accomplish what it did WITHOUT Wilson. Lynch was 7-9 and was not the "engine" of any team before Wilson arrived

Oh, and Kearse and Baldwin developed with a great Qb in Wilson to help them develop. Kearse doesn't do what he's doing in New York if he was in Jacksonville with Bortles throwing to him. He's taken that championship DNA and development to the Jets.

If Baldwin gets injured, our playoff hopes are still alive. When Lynch got injured in the past, we knew we were okay because we had Russ. If Russell gets injured, we're doomed. You can move a vehicle forward with wheels if it's in neutral. But that vehicle is not going anywhere significant without the engine. That is Russell Wilson

The reason is he is not allowed to play his game till desperation time, if he had a line where he could showcase his skills on offense rather then surviving you may see a lot more praise, Lynch kept a defense honest, he ran and did the dirty work so that a defense could not just key on Wilson. Wilson benefited from Lynch, not seeing him gaining anything from our current crop of healthy backs, Carson was becoming what we needed. You can't say the running game benefits from Wilson like Wilson did from Lynch or we would not be bitching about our lack of running game today.

If Baldwin gets hurt were in deep shit, who's the go to guy? Graham? Lockett or Richardson? McEvoy? Darboh maybe could turn into that guy. There is a reason Baldwin get's all those 3rd down conversions, he has learned to get open and it's an art form taught to him one on one by Steve Largent.

Smellyman

Reaction score
chris98251":2xwjn8ek said:
Scorpion05":2xwjn8ek said:
White Devil":2xwjn8ek said:

I get the Russ love and I'm on board. I agree that he takes the team where they go, but he doesn't do it alone, and especially not this year with his lack of faith in the o-line. What moves the offense when they need a play, is Baldwin. It should be Jimmy, but Jimmy has almost officially checked out.

@Scorpion05 - Have you seen what Kearse has been doing on another offense? I assume you've seen what Tate has been doing on another offense? I think the Pedestrian moniker was never accurate.

@Sgt. Largent - The game yesterday would have been very different without the consistency of Doug on 3rd down.

Reflecting on my comments and the replies, maybe engine isn't the appropriate term. Spark Plug, may fit better. However without the spark plug, the engine doesn't fire, so the point remains. Doug has been a huge key to the success of this offense and Russ over the last season and a half. He's stepped his game up big time and should be acknowledged for his role.

A car can't be "driven" without an engine. When Lynch was here he was the driver, not the engine. At this point, with no O-line or Running Game, Russ is BOTH the engine AND the driver

I simply don't understand why praise for the best franchise QB in our history is met with such resistance. Why are people "homers" or "apologists" or blind for recognizing Russell's greatness for what it is (not referencing you specifically just a general point)? He's avoiding the rush, he's not making a lot of mistakes on offense. Every objective metric suggests that he's keeping this offense afloat. Almost every NFL analyst praises Russell Wilson for what he's had to overcome. The offense does not accomplish what it did WITHOUT Wilson. Lynch was 7-9 and was not the "engine" of any team before Wilson arrived

Oh, and Kearse and Baldwin developed with a great Qb in Wilson to help them develop. Kearse doesn't do what he's doing in New York if he was in Jacksonville with Bortles throwing to him. He's taken that championship DNA and development to the Jets.

If Baldwin gets injured, our playoff hopes are still alive. When Lynch got injured in the past, we knew we were okay because we had Russ. If Russell gets injured, we're doomed. You can move a vehicle forward with wheels if it's in neutral. But that vehicle is not going anywhere significant without the engine. That is Russell Wilson

The reason is he is not allowed to play his game till desperation time, if he had a line where he could showcase his skills on offense rather then surviving you may see a lot more praise, Lynch kept a defense honest, he ran and did the dirty work so that a defense could not just key on Wilson. Wilson benefited from Lynch, not seeing him gaining anything from our current crop of healthy backs, Carson was becoming what we needed. You can't say the running game benefits from Wilson like Wilson did from Lynch or we would not be bitching about our lack of running game today.

If Baldwin gets hurt were in deep shit, who's the go to guy? Graham? Lockett or Richardson? McEvoy? Darboh maybe could turn into that guy. There is a reason Baldwin get's all those 3rd down conversions, he has learned to get open and it's an art form taught to him one on one by Steve Largent.

And Lynch benefited from Wilson. Key on Lynch RW killed you. Key on RW, Lynch killed you. RO isn't even tried anymore.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Aros":3v5f84jt said:
Damn proud to wear my 89 jersey on gamedays. Stud. Warrior. Leader.

Agree! One of two different jerseys my family wears.

There is an early disconnect with the O happening for some reason this season, every time something like this happens the team seems to get it together and comes back together stronger (at least it has in the past). While Wilson was debating loudly with Coach Cable, Baldwin was having none of it rom Coach Cable and went into the discussion to seize control of the situation b/c he was PO'd at the mistakes and disconnection going on, he wanted Coach Cable to listen to Wilson who was upset as well. He was simply taking control over the O as a focal and respected member of it. I don't know that the way he dealt with Coach Cable was the right way of doing things, but it worked. The situation seemed to be a watershed moment in the game and after the O began to play with purpose, and they were connected. Our top WR was simply taking control of the situation, and is proving he is a top player at his position.

Every season he's grown as a stud, warrior, and leader. Far, far, far, away from being pedestrian, DB has become a leader of the team and not just the O. Besides that he's a great citizen and has put the team ahead of himself with his contract restructure. It's clear he's respected by players on both sides of the ball. His quick and unscripted apology to the team and Coach Cable after the fact to the way he handled things proves as much. As well his handling of the players' protest and the intelligent and thoughtful way of expressing his protest with a goal of creating real change is the most mature in the league. I am happy he's on our team.

White Devil

Reaction score
Scorpion05":36d17eqn said:
White Devil":36d17eqn said:

Nowhere in my post did I say anything negative about Russ.

In fact I went out of my way to mention that what was being said by me, isn't a dig at Russ. And for some reason, you and Seymour seem to think that because I replied to someone, who I guess is a known Russ hater on this board, that I must fall into the same category.....get over the drama of this place.

My fault, totally forgot where I was posting my opinion on the internet.

This place is hilarious. :2thumbs:

ZagHawk

Reaction score
From my fan perspective. I really don't think RW is a team leader at all, talented yes, positive vibes yes, but I don't think he holds anyone accountable and the D certainly doesn't seem to respect him. Watching the sideline mic'd up and antics of certain qbs vs RW. Just cements this theory for me. I can see how Baldwin is the guy, more so that he's buddies with Sherman so that definitely is a bridge between offense and defense. One thing to note I saw Sherman Wagner and some other defensive players playing ball at my gym a lot this summer and the only offensive player who ever joined them was Baldwin....just shows the better relationship

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3r98wopo said:
From my fan perspective. I really don't think RW is a team leader at all, talented yes, positive vibes yes, but I don't think he holds anyone accountable and the D certainly doesn't seem to respect him. Watching the sideline mic'd up and antics of certain qbs vs RW. Just cements this theory for me. I can see how Baldwin is the guy, more so that he's buddies with Sherman so that definitely is a bridge between offense and defense. One thing to note I saw Sherman Wagner and some other defensive players playing ball at my gym a lot this summer and the only offensive player who ever joined them was Baldwin....just shows the better relationship

Agreed. RW plays hard but he doesn't have that "it" leadership factor - at least not yet.

Baldwin is that guy for this team right now. He has the fire but also the intellect and both offense and defense respect him.

He's also way underrated by the casual fan. The guy's routes aren't the flat out fastest but they are sharp-sharp-sharp and his hands just keep getting better and better.

There are a handful of other leadership contributors but overall, this is Baldwin's team right now.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3onczfvf said:
How do you know he doesn't have IT? Those players respect him and he clearly is a leader.

I respect lots if people yet they do not come off as a leader. You can see it, Wilson has the IT factor making plays, not so much the leader during games, it would not have taken Baldwin to get on guys to listen to Wilson in N.Y. if that was the case, they would have did it without being prompted to.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's true. Russell doesn't have the command of his team like some true leaders do. When Tom Brady farts the whole team stops and listens. That's the ultimate respect because he's earned that with his storied career. I think it's foolish however to suggest the defense doesn't respect him. Of course they do. Watching him battle through the types of injuries he had last year is all you need to do to garner respect in that locker room.

Of course he's a leader on this team. He just doesn't lead by fire and brimstone like Baldwin does. Russell is a genuine nice guy and sometimes nice guys are not perceived as the best leaders. Kurt Cousins comes to mind. When he famously shouted "YOU LIKE THAT?!? YOU LIKE THAT?!?" It was big news because Kurt was so soft spoken before that moment.

When Russ was mic'd up for the Colts game, I had to laugh when I heard him drop some F bombs. Clearly he was venting frustration and it was awesome. About time. The first two words out of his mouth when he ran in for a touchdown was:

"F--- yeah!!"

THAT'S the Russell Wilson we all need. Not "Oh shucky darns, we'll get 'em next time boys!".

Make no mistake, Russell is a leader and he has the team's ear. Without him we are watching the playoffs on TV not playing in them. The whole entire team knows this. So of course he's a leader. Now can he work on the fire and brimstone angle like Doug has perfected? Yes. But make no mistake.

Russell Wilson is a leader AND a winner.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Love how Baldwin has matured over the years. He seems to really get how to lead alongside others.

To those that claim Russell isn't a leader on the team, I have to believe they just don't know enough about leadership themselves to understand there is a vast array of leadership styles that can be effective.

sutz

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":2tsm8p7e said:
Love how Baldwin has matured over the years. He seems to really get how to lead alongside others.

To those that claim Russell isn't a leader on the team, I have to believe they just don't know enough about leadership themselves to understand there is a vast array of leadership styles that can be effective.
Case in point. Pretty much everywhere Russ has played, college and pro, he stepped in and took over the QB spot almost immediately. I don't think you do that just on physical ability, you have to get the respect of the team. Remember, when he was drafted, there was already a projected starter with pro experience here. Two if you count Tarvaris. ;)

Seymour

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":1p1pwb6b said:

Mostly it is just a few are clueless on Wilson. Because he is a "nice guy" they think he always is that way. BS. Go back and listen to sound bites of SB 48 and 49. Tate turned after a catch and lost 1st down yardage and was tackled and Wilson came up and said, "be sure to get the 1st....I know nice play....but 1st down".

Another game in the huddle he was going to try to draw the D with snap count and he said "can you hold your water Carp?". Subtle way of leading and reminding those around him of their jobs....without pissing them off.

This is a fraction of the many examples of how far off some people are on Wilson being a leader here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2h78qts4 said:
Milehighhawk":2h78qts4 said:

Mostly it is just a few are clueless on Wilson. Because he is a "nice guy" they think he always is that way. BS. Go back and listen to sound bites of SB 48 and 49. Tate turned after a catch and lost 1st down yardage and was tackled and Wilson came up and said, "be sure to get the 1st....I know nice play....but 1st down".

Another game in the huddle he was going to try to draw the D with snap count and he said "can you hold your water Carp?". Subtle way of leading and reminding those around him of their jobs....without pissing them off.

This is a fraction of the many examples of how far off some people are on Wilson being a leader here.

For the most part you're right, but as we found out last year when the whole Russell/Sherman thing exploded over being the coach's pet, playcalling, etc................... many of the players might not respect Russell as much as they respect Doug.

Don't get me wrong, this is not Baldwin's team. But as far as the "respect" meter goes, if every player on the roster was given a lie detector test as to who they respect more? I betcha Baldwin scores higher than Russell.

Not all Russell's fault, that's the nature of being the QB on an NFL team. They're privy to information, meetings, playcalling, special treatment etc that other players just aren't.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fty09ov5 said:
Seymour":fty09ov5 said:
Milehighhawk":fty09ov5 said:

For the most part you're right, but as we found out last year when the whole Russell/Sherman thing exploded over being the coach's pet, playcalling, etc................... many of the players might not respect Russell as much as they respect Doug.

Don't get me wrong, this is not Baldwin's team. But as far as the "respect" meter goes, if every player on the roster was given a lie detector test as to who they respect more? I betcha Baldwin scores higher than Russell.

Not all Russell's fault, that's the nature of being the QB on an NFL team. They're privy to information, meetings, playcalling, special treatment etc that other players just aren't.

I don't know about "many" but I would agree some. Many to me is more for Baldwin which I would disagree with.

Different people respond different to different leader types, we need both. Some, once you piss them off, will hate you just because you're in charge, some need that, some need reassurance, some need to be made to feel important, some need to be hammerd on (mostly those are guys you don't want on your team to begin with because they are not self driven).

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin is very good. No doubt about it. But it's Russell Wilson's (and I would say also Pete Carroll's ) team. RW is the success. Whatever goes Wilson's fortunes, goes that of the team. It's undeniable. But maybe we should put it to a poll, and the .net fans can all have a say?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No need to put together a poll, so many don't like the guy anyway :lol:
None of us play for the team, so we have zero clue what the rest of the team thinks about a certain player.

sutz

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3p3dc6ud said:
No need to put together a poll, so many don't like the guy anyway :lol: :rumble: :rumble:
None of us play for the team, so we have zero clue what the rest of the team thinks about a certain player.
:snack:

Seymour

Reaction score
What is odd about this discussion to me? The Baldwin argument does not even match the D leader the team chose.

Who do most of you think is the main leader on defense?

Loud and boisterous Richard Sherman?

Cool but intense Earl Thomas?

Outspoken but comes to play Michael Bennett?

Cool, calm, and power hitter (leads by example) Kam Chancellor?

Answer is Chancellor by a landslide. Opposite personality as Baldwin, and much closer to Wilson.