Thursday Night Football Worth It?

randomation

Reaction score
Cut a preseason week give every team two byes you get your 18 week season but not 18 games per team and only have Thursday Night Football coming off a bye. Otherwise just end it. I would rather we have just forfeited than lose Sherm and possibly Kam. Pete said Kam and Duane both need to be evaluated so we might even more screwed than jusing losing sherm. :pukeface:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
If they want to keep Thursday games in the schedule just set it up so its always teams coming off their bye week. They get a week and a half before the game and a week and a half after the game. NFL gets to keep their Thursday game and players get even more time to recuperate.

Win-win for everybody.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Preach player safety yet have guys in a car wreck on Sunday turn around and do it again on 3 days rest. BS. Greed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
Hard to say Roland, I know if your doing physical work you need a few days for the body to recover or the areas that are strained get enflamed and can be injured the next time out.

Saying that I also think limited practices throughout the year has hurt more, your body isn't tempered to the level of physicality that is expected week in and week out.

Put the above combinations together and your asking guys to run marathons and then do a Decathlon without the necessary training .

mikeak

Reaction score
The solution is actually quite simple and it is annoying hey haven't done it

Add second Bye week into the season. Create TNF for two teams coming off Bye week only. You now add two more times where players gets more rest, you keep the TNF revenue, you improve the product and you get better overall health

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
chris98251":1ffvleme said:
Hard to say Roland, I know if your doing physical work you need a few days for the body to recover or the areas that are strained get enflamed and can be injured the next time out.

Saying that I also think limited practices throughout the year has hurt more, your body isn't tempered to the level of physicality that is expected week in and week out.

Put the above combinations together and your asking guys to run marathons and then do a Decathlon without the necessary training .
Yeah, I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down. Also, I'm not saying that players do not get more injured on TNF games - from my years of watching, it doesn't really seem like they do, but a lot of people are just assuming there's a much higher injury rate and I can't find any proof. I honestly don't know if there's a correlation. With the shape these guys are in, most of us regular schmoes can't compare our own experiences from intermittent all-out labor, that much I do know.

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2etoa6w4 said:
chris98251":2etoa6w4 said:

Yeah, I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down. Also, I'm not saying that players do not get more injured on TNF games - from my years of watching, it doesn't really seem like they do, but a lot of people are just assuming there's a much higher injury rate and I can't find any proof. I honestly don't know if there's a correlation. With the shape these guys are in, most of us regular schmoes can't compare our own experiences from intermittent all-out labor, that much I do know.

My correlation is practice is like 75 percent in full contact which we do rarely, now ramp that up to 150 percent of what the body is conditioned to do. You can go to the gym and be in decent shape, but now go out and be a Hod Carrier for half a day or a Roofer for a day something to that effect, using muscles you work on but on a level far more extreme.

Barakas

Reaction score
I would absolutely get behind a player strike to get rid of TNF.

The only way I could see TNF being acceptable is if the only teams that play are ones coming off a bye week.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
chris98251":2uchwsca said:
My correlation is practice is like 75 percent in full contact which we do rarely, now ramp that up to 150 percent of what the body is conditioned to do. You can go to the gym and be in decent shape, but now go out and be a Hod Carrier for half a day or a Roofer for a day something to that effect, using muscles you work on but on a level far more extreme.
Yeah, but it's not comparable. Jobs like construction workers, roofers, etc. - they don't go all-out as hard as possible for 5-10 minutes at a time, then get a break, then go all-out again. They work at less of a pace for much more extended periods of time; it's pretty different. I'm not impugning physical labor jobs, I'm just saying, they are definitely different on the body.

irocdave

Reaction score
I have thought the same thing, if teams are forced to play games on Thursday night, have them play it coming off a bye week. That doesnt work very well early or late in the season, but dam, how can the owners not see the product suffers drastically from these games and it hurts the TV money. Not to mention the injuries of high priced star players. The answer is so simple. I hop the players hold out for this in the next CBA, but I also hope the players give in some on full contact practices.

The level of play is dramatically lower than a couple of years ago and viewers know this. Who the hell wants to watch low quality play in any sport?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I had a thread made before this one and was deleted for whatever reason.

No I don't. Ban TNF.

netskier

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3kigp3uc said:
It's always about money. Should it become unprofitable.........it will be gone.

I think if they look at it carefully it is already unprofitable. It is nominally profitable because of the ad revenue from Thursday. But I think that it is actually unprofitable when you consider that the Thursday injury toll decreases the quality of the football product being sold to the advertisers. Viewers are decreasing, which decreases ad revenues.

I would like to see the injury rate and seriousness for Thursday compared to Sunday.

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
Please, BAN Thursday night football! It is INHUMAN (in this case, both to us and Arizona) - four days' break is utterly unacceptable.

Maybe have TNF (as the Network proclaims it) ONLY after both teams have had a bye the week before, but I still think it's a hiccup not needed in the schedule. Why can't we stick to Sundays, and Monday night football, from which teams get at least 6 days' break?

My heart goes out tonight for ALL players from today's game, Cards included. Bloody cannon fodder for NFL profit and TV ratings... sorry, I'm upset, and maybe a bit irrational, and I especially grieve Sherm's likely season-ending injury, whether it has anything to do with the short turn-around or not.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I'm shocked people are actually taking the side of players in this. Aren't we suppose to always side with the more successful ones (billionaires) vs the Thugs?
I mean ... these players are paid millions, why don't they just shut up and play. I would play the game every day, if I was paid that. Owners have made billions in business. They know what they are doing. Who are we to question billionaires?
The league is a business first. It is all about profit. Why are we so worry about the feelings or the safety or the emotions of these millionaires? Can't they use these millions to find ways to keep their bodies healthy? If they can't play 2 games in 5 days, then they should be let go and younger and stronger guys should be signed. I really don't understand these complains. To me, John and Pete need to be blamed for this. They have guys on the roster who can't play 2 games in 5 days. They know very well that Thursday night games are on the schedule. And they are not prepared. As someone famous and who shall not be named recently said, the NFL has become too soft. The Raiders and Chiefs had a great game on Thursday night and it was lots of fun. And nobody got hurt. We should sign some of their players in the offseason. I'm sure their fans love Thursday Night Games. How do you think Rams feel about TNF, now that Sherman is out of the season? They certainly love it. How about the rest of the NFC? 15 teams in the NFC love TNF today.
Our players should just shut up and play. The owners need the money desperately.
And our fans should get inline with the program ...

Oh wait ... this Crap just hit OUR team, OUR family, OUR guys ... never mind ....

getnasty

Reaction score
Does anyone have any evidence that there are more injury? Obviously it seems like it and escpically after tonight we feel there that way but is there actually any truth to it? I can't remember when but I listen to a couple of guess talk about having 2 bye weeks to help with Thrusday night football and they couldn't think of one downside to it. I'm not sure why the player agreed to it.

ctrcat

Reaction score
getnasty":n2lq7v46 said:
Does anyone have any evidence that there are more injury? Obviously it seems like it and escpically after tonight we feel there that way but is there actually any truth to it? I can't remember when but I listen to a couple of guess talk about having 2 bye weeks to help with Thrusday night football and they couldn't think of one downside to it. I'm not sure why the player agreed to it.

Kuechly’s concussions the last two years occurred on TNF.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Well, if indeed TNF is a done deal, why not just pick a division, say the NFCW , to start the year. We would play 3 division games on 3 consecutive Thursdays, then get 10 days, and play on Sunday/Monday the rest of the season. Then they move to another division.

Would mean giving out bye weeks earlier and later but would at least give everyone 1 full bye, and 1 long week.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Agree with the many posters suggesting a second bye week and only schedule teams coming off a Sunday Bye. I don't care if there is or isn't evidence of more injuries. The product is worse by far compared to sunday games. The only way to improve it is to have rested and prepared teams.