Timbers vs Real Salt Lake

knownone

Reaction score
Portland can exploit the Sounders make shift midfield by pressing and pressuring, but RSL made them look silly. I'd be worried if I'm a Timbers fan, you guys are not a very dynamic attacking team and RSL isn't careless in possession and clumsy on the backend like the Sounders.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":f6ztsrpg said:
Its the playoffs. If you don't believe you will win... What's the point.

I think they're allowed some pessism for a day

Uncle Si

Reaction score
So watched a bit of the game. RSL was gifted two goals by the Timbers (the 2nd and 4th). Given that, they were still duly outplayed and their pressing game had little impact on RSL.

The tie at home will come down to what adjustments Porter makes to his approach, and whether RSL changes anything. I dont really by into "home field" advantages as much as I do system matchups, and at the moment Portlands strengths are countered by RSL. Not even a chain saw wielding fan is going to change that.

I believe Porter will run at RSL and try and force early mistakes. this will leave his group open in the back. if they make mistakes (as Seattle did in the 2nd match) it will get away from them. if RSL break the press and find their midfield it will get away from them.

Not over by a stretch, but long is the imagination that sees a Timber win.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Looks like the season's ending today. Hoping for a huge 2nd half, but will be proud of the team either way. Unexpectedly great year.

knownone

Reaction score
This makes me wonder how good Portland really is, this was a thorough beat down.

Smurf

Reaction score
This was the type of thing I was trying to say. The TA gets it.

BZ4fUxSIIAAvlAM

Tough loss guys. I knew RSL would be a tough test. I fancy them to be cup champions vs Sporting KC.

Looking forward to next season.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
knownone":k6mbmo7x said:
This makes me wonder how good Portland really is, this was a thorough beat down.

You should probably wonder how good RSL is. They've been in their system a pretty damn long time, and the Timbers haven't. We'll be back next year and be all the better for the experience. Caleb Porter had a pretty good post game press conference about the game last night. It's well worth watching, even if you're a Sounders fan (because then you'll be afraid of the further ass-kickings coming next year).

knownone

Reaction score
Uncle Si":o994hawo said:
knownone":o994hawo said:

Seriously?
Yes! They got dominated home and away. they had a season full of draws and beating bad teams, without a single signature win against good teams.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
knownone":2wl2fa56 said:
Uncle Si":2wl2fa56 said:
knownone":2wl2fa56 said:

Seriously?
Yes! They got dominated home and away. they had a season full of draws and beating bad teams, without a single signature win against good teams.

?

LA, Seattle, Houston, Colorado, Sporting KC....

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2n19n9rq said:
knownone":2n19n9rq said:
Uncle Si":2n19n9rq said:
knownone":2n19n9rq said:

Seriously?

?

LA, Seattle, Houston, Colorado, Sporting KC....

toll across his bridge is fairly cheap to be fair