TMZ: Arrest Warrant Issued Quinton Dunbar - Armed Robbery

hawk45

Reaction score
Now, regarding Dunbar, I don't expect 20 something kids to be anything other than stupid, and Dunbar isn't the first, nor will he be the last. I don't respect his choice, and wouldn't go within 10 miles of him personally, but that doesn't matter to the game of football. I don't identify with nor respect (outside of respect I'd give to a stranger) with NFL players. They do things on the field which I enjoy, and that's the end of it.

So I will be perfectly sanguine if he ends up playing.

TAB420

Reaction score
hawk45":1iegzqh7 said:
TAB420":1iegzqh7 said:
hawk45":1iegzqh7 said:
TAB420":1iegzqh7 said:
I live in a open carry state that see's very little gun violence although everyone carries. To suggest that he was carrying because he was around unsavory people, is an assumption. Dude had his concealed permit and his gun was legally registered. That tells me that he didn't go into this thinking he was going to use his gun in a criminal manner, he could have easy bought a throwaway if that was the case. My opinion when it comes to my personal carry is this. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have, just my opinion.
I carry every day, but would never do so at a party with gambling and drinking, and I don’t accept any responsible gun owner would. If you accept the responsibility of carrying you accept that a situation which might be otherwise a fistfight turns lethal. Carry at a party with alcohol and you’re absolutely being irresponsible at the least. If you are dumb enough to do that your responsibility in the event of a conflict is to sprint away from it at best speed.

Carrying should be treated as a privilege, and one should go far out of their way to not let others bear any risks because of it, lest it be revoked by citizens who rightly question whether that privilege should exist at all if gun owners can’t be trusted to act with utmost discipline.

Just my humble opinion. Firearms and alcohol are not acceptable.
I could careless what anyone thinks or what anyone's humble opinion is. But, I also will not call other's irresponsible because their beliefs are different than mine. At the end of the day the choices I make are on me and I choose to carry everywhere. I don't let the situation or the people dictate my ability to protect myself or my family. That being said, if you can't control yourself around alcohol or shady people (which sounds like your case) then don't carry. I was a peace officer for many years so I'm sure I look at things a little different than most.

Partying around alcohol and shady people with a firearm is irresponsible, full stop. Whether I can control myself or not is beside the point; at such a party I would have other drunk people to contend with. Since I cannot control the actions of others, I choose not to assume the risk. Because my family won't do well if a stranger decides to engage me, and a weapon becomes involved. You do that, and you place your family in jeopardy you could have easily avoided. You'll not find a more staunch 2A advocate than myself, but responsible gun owners practice situational awareness.

Then don't carry there, you do you and I'll worry about me. I don't give a shit about the conditions of other, I worry about protecting myself and my family, period. My gun is concealed and would never be pulled unless lives were at stake. What would you do if you found yourself in a life or death situation, but you didn't carry because other might be drinking? What's next, a cop should leave his gun in the car because he's breaking up a party where there's drinking, gambling, and thugs present? You just described a situation where I want to be carrying. That being said, you're not or ever been law enforcement so it is different I would suspect.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm just going to add there is a reason why you cannot carry in Bars
or liquor stores even with a permit.
In Indiana anyway.

TAB420

Reaction score
Oregon has no bar restrictions, whether it be concealed carry with a CHL, or openly carried without CHL in a non-ban city. The statutes are simply silent on the issue. I don't drink so it has 0 effect on me. I could get assaulted by a bunch of drunk guys (it's happened) walking down the street. I carry for protection, my social setting doesn't affect that. But, it's pretty easy. If you don't like it, don't do it.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I would make every attempt to build my team roster from the best, most highly skilled athletes I could find...who have the mental aptitude to exercise sound judgement on the field and off the field. Players represent not just themselves but their entire team, and are role models to a huge audience. Part of the privilege of being highly paid to be an NFL player is accepting the responsibility to avoid putting yourself in circumstances that jeopardize the standing of your team, and teammates who depend on you.

TAB420

Reaction score
Appyhawk":eohaeass said:
I would make every attempt to build my team roster from the best, most highly skilled athletes I could find...who have the mental aptitude to exercise sound judgement on the field and off the field. Players represent not just themselves but their entire team, and are role models to a huge audience. Part of the privilege of being highly paid to be an NFL player is accepting the responsibility to avoid putting yourself in circumstances that jeopardize the standing of your team, and teammates who depend on you.

You forgot the part where you read their minds and look into the future. Pete loves taking risks to find that diamond in the ruff or, chip on their shoulder type of player. But, you never know what's going to happen...like an ATV accident. You also stated that "I would make every attempt to build my team roster from the best, most highly skilled athletes I could find...who have the mental aptitude to exercise sound judgement on the field and off the field. Players represent not just themselves but their entire team". Do you think Pete doesn't try to do this? Don't you think athletes tell coaches and draft personnel exactly what they want to hear? Did Dunbar have any priors? It's funny that we don't know the story, Dunbar wasn't carrying, and he might of not known the Giants player was. Yet, some on here are questioning his morals on something that they're clueless about. As for me, innocent until proven guilty. The same goes for his character.

getnasty

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3gbuof20 said:

Sounds good but unfortunately it's not that easy if your trying to actually win games.

TAB420

Reaction score
We wait and see. This is also the NFL...he can be proven innocent and still be suspended.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1niuwubd said:

So you wouldn't have traded for Lynch?

Marshawn had numerous legal issues before coming here, recent ones in fact while playing in Buffalo. It's the very reason we were able to get a HOF caliber RB for a 4th round pick. Also one of the reasons we won a SB, Lynch WAS the identity of that SB team.

That's what great coaches and GM's do, they weigh the problems vs the man. Dunbar had no prior legal problems that I know of.............so you asking that we ONLY draft and acquire only the most mature and upstanding members of society is not only hindsight GM'ing, it's not a successful way of building a SB roster.

For whatever you think about football, it is a sport of grit, violence and determination. Those personality traits are born out of hardship, desperation and sometimes even dysfunction. It's why guys like Lynch play like they do, they're nasty, and angry, and had miserable upbringings that bring out what helps make them great.

Sometimes that comes at a personality cost, and again good GM's and coaches know how to identify and channel that.

TAB420

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2qdl1np7 said:
You make some good points Sgt, and I heartily approve of them for the most part. Start with new chance for someone who messed up. Thing is there are levels of "messing up". Gunplay is a level that is a deal breaker.

You do know that Lynch was arrested on felony charges for possession of a concealed firearm, right?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Yes, I knew that, Tabs. But again with the levels. Having a gun and pulling it out as a direct threat to someone are two different things. Lots of players have them. Too many crazies running around with guns these days for public figures not to have protection. I know one thing for certain, I will do everything I can to avoid being a defenseless victim, and I'm not a famous public figure by any stretch of the imagination. But defensive insurance is a much different thing than an offensive threat. VERY different.
That brings us back to the on or off the field judgement issue. Individuals who have good judgement will make the best, most dependably good, players and teammates.
Like someone else said, for the personnel department it's a balancing act. But they'll win a lot more of those bets sticking with guys who show good solid judgement.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1c88aa2a said:
Yes, I knew that, Tabs. But again with the levels. Having a gun and pulling it out as a direct threat to someone are two different things. Lots of players have them. Too many crazies running around with guns these days for public figures not to have protection. I know one thing for certain, I will do everything I can to avoid being a defenseless victim, and I'm not a famous public figure by any stretch of the imagination. But defensive insurance is a much different thing than an offensive threat. VERY different.
That brings us back to the on or off the field judgement issue. Individuals who have good judgement will make the best, most dependably good, players and teammates.
Like someone else said, for the personnel department it's a balancing act. But they'll win a lot more of those bets sticking with guys who show good solid judgement.
Again though....It reportedly wasn't Dunbar with the gun, no?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2k4qhd0w said:
You make some good points Sgt, and I heartily approve of them for the most part. Start with new chance for someone who messed up. Thing is there are levels of "messing up". Gunplay is a level that is a deal breaker.

I have no idea what role Dunbar had in what went down, but in general I'm for giving guys 2nd chances for most legal issues.

I have a much harsher opinion though when it comes to things like abuse, battery and domestic violence. But even with that you never really know the whole story, like with what happened to Reed.

So bottom line IMO is it's better to have a case by case let's see the details of what happened and try to figure out if this is a player that's contrite, remorseful and willing to take the necessary steps to get back on the right track. Rather than have some hardline all encompassing stance or rule about legal problems.

I mean, wouldn't we like to be afforded that with our own jobs and lives? Why wouldn't we with others?

TAB420

Reaction score
Appyhawk":16vm6oh7 said:

"Having a gun and pulling it out as a direct threat to someone are two different things." When did Dunbar do any of this? You know he never had a gun, right?

TAB420

Reaction score
Appyhawk":xu711vrm said:

Multiple gun charges and drugs in the car. I for one am glad we gave him a 2nd chance.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleag ... anors.html