Today's (December 29) Bowl Games

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1kyk620i said:
Milehighhawk":1kyk620i said:
I can’t see how anyone can say they enjoyed watching those games. NCAAF is the most unbalanced and non competitive league in all of sport I think with the NBA a close second. The model is clearly broken. Not sure how long a league can go on with allowing a handful of schools to choose from the very best players.

This actually reminds me of stacked little league teams that play down a couple levels to warm up for their “real season”. It is pretty much antithetical to the concept of sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh? Every school gets to go out and recruit the players they choose to recruit. It's up to the coaches to sell these kids on their program. I will agree that schools have different recruiting budgets and maybe the NCAA should put a limit on those budgets to even the playing field a little. I think that for the elite players, their decision comes down to which school will best prepare them to play on Sundays. Right now, it's hard to argue against Alabama and Clemson.

The point is that it isn’t a remotely even playin field when it comes to attracting players. This is proven year after year looking at class rankings. It is a broken talent acquisition system that right now has no end in sight. The NFL is far from perfect but this situation was part of the genesis of the Salary Cap system. There are pretty much zero meaningful controls in the NCAA. Scholarship caps are meaningless.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It's not fair that Harvard gets all the smartest and most ambitious high school students while Eastern Washington has to settle for average students. Not sure how much longer this can go on before the entire collegiate education system collapses.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
So question...since Oklahoma got beat by Alabama just as bad as Washington did in 2016, and since Notre Dame got beat by Clemson even worse, are people going to say "Well, these teams had their chance in the playoffs and were absolutely embarrassed. They don't deserve to be invited back." ???

Or is that just something people wanted to say about Washington just because?

getnasty

Reaction score
justafan":1jtfk5au said:
I dont think letting 4 more teams that have a slim chance of beating Alabama or Clemson is going to solve anything.

Every week is a playoff for teams wanting to be Champs. After watching how the season unfolded you knew who the 3 best teams were. After the SEC Championship game you knew who was NO 1. The 4th and 5th best teams were just lambs being led to a slaughter.

Not sure if Georgia agrees with that right now.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3b70vrl3 said:
It's not fair that Harvard gets all the smartest and most ambitious high school students while Eastern Washington has to settle for average students. Not sure how much longer this can go on before the entire collegiate education system collapses.

I know your schtick is running around being an assclown unchecked but clearly false equivalence.

D

DomeHawk

HawkGA":cun4vagh said:
So they should stop letting the best teams in? Yep, that sounds like a PAC-12 fan.

At least most Pac-12 fans at least have a real connection to their school or school's community

Anyone can just pick a dominant program and then feign superiority over something they have absolutely nothing to do with.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
DomeHawk":19901tbr said:
HawkGA":19901tbr said:
So they should stop letting the best teams in? Yep, that sounds like a PAC-12 fan.

At least most Pac-12 fans at least have a real connection to their school or school's community

Anyone can just pick a dominant program and then feign superiority over something they have absolutely nothing to do with.

Do you often make assumptions without knowing what you are talking about?

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
fenderbender123":396c9cr8 said:
So question...since Oklahoma got beat by Alabama just as bad as Washington did in 2016, and since Notre Dame got beat by Clemson even worse, are people going to say "Well, these teams had their chance in the playoffs and were absolutely embarrassed. They don't deserve to be invited back." ???

Or is that just something people wanted to say about Washington just because?

I think there is a real chance of that happening for Notre Dame. But it's Notre Dame, so unfortunately, no.

D

DomeHawk

HawkGA":1kqt0j4g said:
DomeHawk":1kqt0j4g said:
HawkGA":1kqt0j4g said:

Do you often make assumptions without knowing what you are talking about?

Read your post. Who is making the assumptions?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":19v1dwh9 said:
fenderbender123":19v1dwh9 said:

I know your schtick is running around being an assclown unchecked but clearly false equivalence.

Oh. I thought football players were students. Which is what another poster's point was, yet you didn't call them an assclown. That's okay though. I'm used to it.

Also, everything is a false equivalence There are no 2 things that are exactly alike.

justafan

Reaction score
getnasty":gn66noft said:
justafan":gn66noft said:
I dont think letting 4 more teams that have a slim chance of beating Alabama or Clemson is going to solve anything.

Every week is a playoff for teams wanting to be Champs. After watching how the season unfolded you knew who the 3 best teams were. After the SEC Championship game you knew who was NO 1. The 4th and 5th best teams were just lambs being led to a slaughter.

Georgia had its chance to go to the playoff.I saw the SEC championship as the National Championship. I think most people who watch college ball would say georgia was probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the nation. I wouldnt have had a problem with them being put in the playoffs even after the loss.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
justafan":18ea150h said:
getnasty":18ea150h said:
justafan":18ea150h said:

Georgia had its chance to go to the playoff.I saw the SEC championship as the National Championship. I think most people who watch college ball would say georgia was probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the nation. I wouldnt have had a problem with them being put in the playoffs even after the loss.
Georgia lost twice..How do you deserve anything after that?

justafan

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2jbyhpsx said:
justafan":2jbyhpsx said:
getnasty":2jbyhpsx said:
justafan":2jbyhpsx said:

Georgia lost twice..How do you deserve anything after that?

Just my opinion.They gave Alabama all they wanted and actually could have won that game.The other loss was to LSU. Notre dame is soft they never would have made it to the SEC Chanpionship game and was way overated. Oklahoma had no D ,AT ALL. OSU got smoked by Purdue. they threw away a golden opportunity.

IMO Georgia was 3rd, I would have been ok with OSU over OK or ND even with the worse loss of any of the contenders.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Does that loss to Texas change your thinking any?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1jab3af1 said:
Does that loss to Texas change your thinking any?

Almost proves more than ever the need for an 8 team playoff..

justafan

Reaction score
No not really.We already know OK and ND arent in the same class as Alabama and Clemson.Georgia proved they can stand toe to toe with Alabama and probably should have beat them. I would lean towards a 4 team playoff versus a 8 team because right now. I dont see the reason for letting in teams like Michigan, UCF or the Huskies play against Alabama or Clemson. As much as that hurts to say. Upsets could happen but the talent levels are so much higher in the SEC,OSU and Clemson than on the west coast or some other ares.If you cant make the top 4 you dont belong IMO. I dont mind discussing who we thought were the 3rd and 4th teams but its almost been a moot point the last few years.

I will say Texas came out looking great and UGA looked like a team who already packed it in. They knew losing to Alabama was the end of it. It did bother me that a #5 played a number #15 team. A 5 should have played a higher ranked team. Texas was local so that game was a gift. Hats off to them for beating a good team tho.