Top 3 Worst moves by front office?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
themunn":11wtus5f said:
Any Ruskell related use of first round draft picks (Kelly Jennings, Chris Spencer, trading for Deion Branch, Lawrence Jackson and Aaron Curry)

Can't blame him for drafting Aaron Curry, Curry was one of the most highly rated LB's ever. The problem was, unless your name was that DT Packers picked in the 2nd or 3rd round, every pick you got would have been a bust. It was probably the single lousiest draft class ever.

Best bet was to trade the whole draft for a draft choice to be named later in another draft class.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I know Elway was very interested in coming to Seattle. I watched a 30 for 30 and it said he was surprised that the Hawks balked. I hated Elway growing up but I would have loved horse face had he been a Seahawk.

hawkpride

Reaction score
Can't overlook the "savior" drafting Brian Bosworth, then signing him (to at the time) the most a lineman had ever received, 11 mil.
Then out of the league after 3 forgettable seasons of play by him.

Boycie

Reaction score
chris98251":3dlo7qkj said:
IndyHawk":3dlo7qkj said:
sdog1981":3dlo7qkj said:
Trading Tony Dorset for picks did not help. It would have been interesting to see a Zorn Largent and Doresett combo

Been saying this for years ..
The dumbest move was trading Tony Dorsett away (A franchise RB for years to come)
For what???Bet nobody remembers because they couldn't pick or trade worth the crap.
I absolutely believe we make the playoffs before 80 .
Dorsett and Largent would have made Zorn a decent game manager
Instead of that turnover machine he was.

Can't fault the idea they had, Dorsett said he would refuse to sign here as well. At that time players were using that as leverage a lot, Elway, George and a few others.

If they would have hit more on the O line they tried to build with the trade it may have been different

Sounds like the present time!

Marvin49

Reaction score
irocdave":2qrkifx6 said:
Lol, like the thread, but you youngsters perspectives are abysmal. Learn your history.. then start threads like this. If you really are a fan, use that wonderful thing called the internet and learn the history. History didn't start when you started paying attention.

Sheesh, millennials.....

lol...as a Niners fan who constantly hears about us claiming "dusty trophies", I love it. :)

Very true though. I run into that a lot. Its as if the things they didn't see never happened or don't count.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
Steve Hutchinson is an easy one. An All Pro Guard in his prime and we screwed that entire deal up badly.

Harvin may not have worked overall, but he put SB48 to bed. A 22-0 lead turns into 29-0 and game over after his kickoff return for a TD.. If Denver had forced a 3 and out, then scored a TD that is a different ball game. Still think we win though. For that kickoff return alone I'll call it a success.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":1dvi5frl said:
Harvin, Houshmanzada, Franco Harris, Curry, Dan Mcgwire, jeremy stevens

The Hutch deal if I remember correctly was not the Hawks fault at all. The poison pill contract stated that Hutchinson was to get 1 dollar more than the highest paid lineman on the team. We had just signed Walter Jones to a massive contract and the Seahawks couldn't match.

Hutch was given the Transition tag instead of Franchise tag. It was a front office blunder to try and save a few million. It also steered MH towards the exits.

kev007

Reaction score
:greetingsearthling: 12's

Owen Gill
Chris McIntosh
Koren Robinson
Danny Greene
Tony Davis

1985 must rank as one of the (if not the worst) drafts in Seahawks history - we could have drafted Kevin Glover, Herschelle Walker and / or Andre Reed - Ron Mattes (7th round) was the most successful draft pick!

Kev

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
1. Hutch deal - thats an easy one
2. Bozworth
3. Taking Steve Niehaus 2nd overall in 76' passing up on players like Chuck Muncie and Mike Haynes.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2f7sdaet said:
irocdave":2f7sdaet said:
Lol, like the thread, but you youngsters perspectives are abysmal. Learn your history.. then start threads like this. If you really are a fan, use that wonderful thing called the internet and learn the history. History didn't start when you started paying attention.

Sheesh, millennials.....

lol...as a Niners fan who constantly hears about us claiming "dusty trophies", I love it. :)

Very true though. I run into that a lot. Its as if the things they didn't see never happened or don't count.
Hello Marvin.
One thing that has occured to me in seeing all these names we could have drafted but didn't.
We could have drafted Montana instead of being stuck with Zorn.
Coulda,woulda and shoulda I guess :lol:

Seymour

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":104vyq2f said:
bevellisthedevil":104vyq2f said:
Harvin, Houshmanzada, Franco Harris, Curry, Dan Mcgwire, jeremy stevens

The Hutch deal if I remember correctly was not the Hawks fault at all. The poison pill contract stated that Hutchinson was to get 1 dollar more than the highest paid lineman on the team. We had just signed Walter Jones to a massive contract and the Seahawks couldn't match.

Wasting #2 draft pick on Rick Mirer should be on that list as well.

What the hell you talkin bout Willis?

He was offensive rookie of the year. :twisted:

OP
OP
evergreen

evergreen

Reaction score
irocdave":gey6e7ic said:

Sheesh, millennials.....
Sorry but I’m no millennial. I have ticket stubs from adorn, Krieg and hasselback. If I have to look it up then it could not be that bad or I’d remember it. I remember the Tony Dorset deal and he wasn’t coming here. Anyone could’ve drafted Montana.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
themunn":3lw65ppl said:
Any Ruskell related use of first round draft picks (Kelly Jennings, Chris Spencer, trading for Deion Branch, Lawrence Jackson and Aaron Curry)

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY THAT'S BAD!!!!

olyfan63

Reaction score
#1 Harvin deal, and the draft picks and money and team cancer, cap mess, cost us another SB and maybe 2 more
#2 Drafting Steve Niehaus at #2 and passing on more talented players
#3 Steve Hutchinson leaving due to FO screwup

I don't include Mirer, he was OROY IIRC, and we got a 1st in trade for him
I don't include Bosworth, due to the injury factor; he played with heart when his body let him and as a rookie, was Defensive Player of the Week in a road win at Chicago when he ripped the Bears RB and took it for a TD; to me, THAT play is Brian Bosworth. Also because he set up a company to sell "Ban the Boz" T-Shirts in Denver. Anyone that pwns an opposing fanbase like that gets a pass.

mrblitz

Reaction score
if memory serves, the boz was a pick in the supplemental draft. that spring, the seahawks were thought to be the strongest team in the league. when they lucked out and got the #1 pick in the supplemental draft, the boz was a no brainer. people were thinking at that point, that the 'hawks would be unstoppable.

bozworth was a linebacker.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
mrblitz":nvlqdyp4 said:
if memory serves, the boz was a pick in the supplemental draft. that spring, the seahawks were thought to be the strongest team in the league. when they lucked out and got the #1 pick in the supplemental draft, the boz was a no brainer. people were thinking at that point, that the 'hawks would be unstoppable.

bozworth was a linebacker.

That's not how the supplemental draft works. A team submits a bid in the form of a pick (by round) for a player. The highest pick bid gets the player. In the case of Boz, the Seahawks submitted a first round pick as a bid and as a result, forfeited their first round pick in the next draft.

mrt144

Reaction score
Marvin49":1db9wocr said:
irocdave":1db9wocr said:

Sheesh, millennials.....

For perspective think about this - fans in the late 70s and 80s would have to go back to the leather helmet era or near then to integrate history in the same way you're imploring younger fans to do now.

This is as old as time - older folks saying "learn through my experience" and youth saying "I can't, it seems too different" and then 30 years later the cycle repeats.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
HawkNuts":1bg8s6az said:
Hutch was given the Transition tag instead of Franchise tag. It was a front office blunder to try and save a few million. It also steered MH towards the exits.
It was $600,000. That's all we saved on the tags and we had the cap room for it easily. Was the last straw for Holmgren and illustrated why he wanted control over players, which would have been much more successful in his earlier years except that Shurmur got cancer and wasn't there to select the defensive players, and Bob Whitsitt second-guessed and interfered with everything Holmgren did.