Trevone Boykin

rideaducati

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2fkekga5 said:
rideaducati":2fkekga5 said:
Siouxhawk":2fkekga5 said:
I'll keep an open mind about Boykin, but I know Tarvaris has been a reliable member of this team and appreciated by this team for 4 out of the last 5 years and there's enough of a sample size on him to know that we'd be better than a .500 team with him behind center for a relief role if Russ went down for a length of time. My guess is that he has an understanding with Pete and John that if nothing tickles his fancy as far as money on the free agent market, he'll be back prior to June's mandatory minicamp for a modest $1.6 million deal or thereabouts for one year. I'd welcome that.

I'd be fine with Tarvaris as backup as long as he never has to play. If Russell goes down, I'm sure Tarvaris would end up being a backup to whoever they signed off the street within a week or two. I just hope they sign the guy off the street before the season starts and that they never offer another contract to Tarvaris.
I obviously don't want to see Tarvaris in crucial situations as well, but that's for differing reasons as it would mean Russ would be sidelined. But if that were the case, I guess I'll just have to disagree with you in that I do believe Tarvaris would still give us a decent chance of winning. Hell, he went .500 in 2011 with a team that hadn't reached its talent threshold yet. We've basically only seen him in the preseason games and even that's been limited as Russ never seems to want to leave the field.

Tarvaris was never a reason the Seahawks won a game, but he was definitely a reason they lost several. I would rather see a backup capable of being a reason the Seahawks won games instead of hoping they don't lose with Tarvaris. Tarvaris offers NOTHING to help the team win. Kam Chancellor at QB would give me more hope for a win. Opponents would respect Kam's throwing ability more than they would Tarvaris.

rideaducati

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2g1fwlxp said:
rideaducati":2g1fwlxp said:
UK_Seahawk":2g1fwlxp said:
Love watching tape on this kid.

[youtube]V41ua96PmAU[/youtube]

My fave highlights - 2:57 6:18 9:34 10:05 and 11:13

Have to say Josh Doctson looks money. Great pick up for the 'skins.

Wow. He sure got away with a BUNCH of very poor decisions in that game. I can see why he went undrafted. Quality of competition sure helped TCU. I'm not impressed.
There were some poor decisions but I've seen Wilson do the same. He went undrafted due to him being carried out of a nightclub by several bouncers.

If he's coachable he's got a great chance. Better than the pedestrian Jackson.

Even with all those poor decisions, I would rather have him backing up Russell than Tarvaris. The game would at least be exciting and I would still think the Seahawks could win. With Tarvaris, ALL hope for a win is gone.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
rideaducati":g785brq9 said:
UK_Seahawk":g785brq9 said:
rideaducati":g785brq9 said:
UK_Seahawk":g785brq9 said:

Wow. He sure got away with a BUNCH of very poor decisions in that game. I can see why he went undrafted. Quality of competition sure helped TCU. I'm not impressed.
There were some poor decisions but I've seen Wilson do the same. He went undrafted due to him being carried out of a nightclub by several bouncers.

Even with all those poor decisions, I would rather have him backing up Russell than Tarvaris. The game would at least be exciting and I would still think the Seahawks could win. With Tarvaris, ALL hope for a win is gone.
Exactly, let's bring Boykin on already. He will probably fail but at least he might win a NFL game if forced.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
rideaducati":2uwit2pf said:
UK_Seahawk":2uwit2pf said:
rideaducati":2uwit2pf said:
UK_Seahawk":2uwit2pf said:

That seems utterly ridiculous to me. We have a backup quarterback with team support, experience starting, system experience, etc. Tarvaris outperformed Hasselbeck's last year here when he had a chance to start. He's not a star, but he's tough, dependable, and can manage a game. He's everything you want in a backup quarterback.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
TJ lost us winnable games every damn time he was on the field. I am beyond pissed he is in the NFL, and worse, on my team.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I'll demur to those with knowledge of the situation like Doug Baldwin and the coaching staff who see what Tarvaris does in practice and the film room every day and what he adds on game days for any kind of accurate analysis on this. They all see close-up what Tarvaris brings to the table and they all want him back. Now Boykin could certainly be our developmental player, but there's nobody in the league that's a better fit to be our backup quarterback than Tarvaris.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":37jvo7ai said:
but there's nobody in the league that's a better fit to be our backup quarterback than Tarvaris.

That's quite the claim.

rideaducati

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3a6apxve said:
Siouxhawk":3a6apxve said:
but there's nobody in the league that's a better fit to be our backup quarterback than Tarvaris.

That's quite the claim.

They're just waiting patiently for Tarvaris to learn Bevell's system.

And hoping that some other team signs him...not even a nibble by any other team even though free agency started a long time ago.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":12b9o5qa said:
rideaducati":12b9o5qa said:
Siouxhawk":12b9o5qa said:
I'll keep an open mind about Boykin, but I know Tarvaris has been a reliable member of this team and appreciated by this team for 4 out of the last 5 years and there's enough of a sample size on him to know that we'd be better than a .500 team with him behind center for a relief role if Russ went down for a length of time. My guess is that he has an understanding with Pete and John that if nothing tickles his fancy as far as money on the free agent market, he'll be back prior to June's mandatory minicamp for a modest $1.6 million deal or thereabouts for one year. I'd welcome that.

I'd be fine with Tarvaris as backup as long as he never has to play. If Russell goes down, I'm sure Tarvaris would end up being a backup to whoever they signed off the street within a week or two. I just hope they sign the guy off the street before the season starts and that they never offer another contract to Tarvaris.
I obviously don't want to see Tarvaris in crucial situations as well, but that's for differing reasons as it would mean Russ would be sidelined. But if that were the case, I guess I'll just have to disagree with you in that I do believe Tarvaris would still give us a decent chance of winning. Hell, he went .500 in 2011 with a team that hadn't reached its talent threshold yet. We've basically only seen him in the preseason games and even that's been limited as Russ never seems to want to leave the field.
I like TJ, but be honest. Marshawn Lynch went 7-9 in 2011 with TJ, not the other way around. TJ is a tough ass gamer, but plays below his athleticism and limits the offense even more than having a rookie limited the offense a year later.

And if he won half his games a backup in 2016, well that is a decent backup QB goal. He has started enough NFL games to say that about exactly what TJ brings to the game. Anything else you say is you applying a little varnish to a player you like. Pete likes TJ because he is serviceable, low maintenance, liked by his squad, and cheap. He did trade the guy to Buffalo for a bag of balls at one point, so you don't need to fluff his role as one that is integral to the development of Russ.

pehawk

Reaction score
Anytime TJ! is referenced, anywhere, ride's jitterbug dings.

Atradees

Reaction score
Rob12":3f5dvgcu said:
Coming to Seattle is a perfect opportunity for him.

I like what I see.

It should be a fun preseason. We went in knowing we needed a back up qb. We have Boykins center......it is connected.

rideaducati

Reaction score
pehawk":1y27wkgc said:
Anytime TJ! is referenced, anywhere, ride's jitterbug dings.

Yes it does. I can hardly wait for him to announce his retirement.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I read Boykin as being the latest B.J. ... and I'd be fine with that. There's a reason Tarvaris has outlasted the likes of Vince Young, Brady Quinn and Terrell Pryor ... not to mention a bunch of undrafted rookie free agents ... in the preseason. Come mandatory camp, he'll be signed as the entrusted backup again and in this case, continuity and familiarity is a good thing to have.

AVL

Reaction score
Jackson hasn't played a decent set of downs preseason in years. The locker room he commanded is mostly gone. We can save a little cap space. I just don't see him being much help and I sure wouldn't give him or Flynn any credit in his development, except maybe what to watch out for.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":34kop1ew said:
There's a reason Tarvaris has outlasted the likes of Vince Young, Brady Quinn and Terrell Pryor ...

Yeah, he supposedly knows Bevell's system. I'm sure he is a great guy, but as a QB, he is awful. I don't know what you were watching in 2011 that makes you believe differently, but your eyes failed you.

Atradees

Reaction score
Are we still having a TJack debate? Wow

No! Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl!

Is TJack better than Mark Sanchez?

Jville

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":acxm0nnh said:
I'll demur to those with knowledge of the situation like Doug Baldwin and the coaching staff who see what Tarvaris does in practice and the film room every day and what he adds on game days for any kind of accurate analysis on this. They all see close-up what Tarvaris brings to the table and they all want him back. Now Boykin could certainly be our developmental player, but there's nobody in the league that's a better fit to be our backup quarterback than Tarvaris.

Criticism comes with the job of a backup. Travaris Jackson is subject to such criticism.

Unfortunately, there is very little appreciation for essential contributors during the week who do not flash on game day. That is among the most common oversights of fans. We just don't see their essential practice and rehearsal contributions during the week in preparation for game day. We also struggle to adjust to game day changes necessitated by differences in skill sets when they do make appearances as backups.

The young arms they have brought in should provide entertainment. However, they are all multi-year projects as potential simulators of opposing quarterbacks and potential game day backups. That is an accompanying oversight that is typically made.

P.S. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Don't let the noise discourage you.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I just don't want the development of qbs with a lot of upside to be hindered by a back up who we know all about and is functional at best. It seems a backwards step.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":ghs84c7o said:
Siouxhawk":ghs84c7o said:
There's a reason Tarvaris has outlasted the likes of Vince Young, Brady Quinn and Terrell Pryor ...

Yeah, he supposedly knows Bevell's system. I'm sure he is a great guy, but as a QB, he is awful. I don't know what you were watching in 2011 that makes you believe differently, but your eyes failed you.
He was .500 as the starter in 2011. He did this while being pounded by sacks with a young line that was developing early but would eventually emerge as our Super Bowl champion front 5. He didn't complain. He suffered a major injury to his throwing arm running for a first down, yet sucked it up and played through the pain when the team decided that Clipboard Jesus was a flop. He went 4-2 down the stretch as this franchise started turning the corner. He earned Marshawn's respect. After a year in exile in Buffalo, guys like Sidney Rice and Doug Baldwin lobbied for him to come back as the backup for a fun Super Bowl run. When we clinched the NFC title, he was one of the first people Russell sought out to share the moment with. He's a fixture to the right of Russell on the bench as the defense is on the field and they review the tablet ... likely a carryover from the film room. I just don't understand why we'd ever want to change something that's not broke. Tarvaris is a big part of our locker room whether you want to admit that or not.