Trevone Boykin

rideaducati

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1r4i0ln0 said:
rideaducati":1r4i0ln0 said:
Siouxhawk":1r4i0ln0 said:
There's a reason Tarvaris has outlasted the likes of Vince Young, Brady Quinn and Terrell Pryor ...

Yeah, he supposedly knows Bevell's system. I'm sure he is a great guy, but as a QB, he is awful. I don't know what you were watching in 2011 that makes you believe differently, but your eyes failed you.
He was .500 as the starter in 2011. He did this while being pounded by sacks with a young line that was developing early but would eventually emerge as our Super Bowl champion front 5. He didn't complain. He suffered a major injury to his throwing arm running for a first down, yet sucked it up and played through the pain when the team decided that Clipboard Jesus was a flop. He went 4-2 down the stretch as this franchise started turning the corner. He earned Marshawn's respect. After a year in exile in Buffalo, guys like Sidney Rice and Doug Baldwin lobbied for him to come back as the backup for a fun Super Bowl run. When we clinched the NFC title, he was one of the first people Russell sought out to share the moment with. He's a fixture to the right of Russell on the bench as the defense is on the field and they review the tablet ... likely a carryover from the film room. I just don't understand why we'd ever want to change something that's not broke. Tarvaris is a big part of our locker room whether you want to admit that or not.

Tarvaris was barely more responsible for those 7 wins in 2011 than I was and was DEFINITELY more responsible for those losses. He had been in the system 6 seasons and made mistakes rookies usually have fixed before their rookie season. I give him zero credit for playing through injuries because he was a detriment to the team when healthy and shouldn't have been on the field to begin with. He sucks.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin will differ with you and I'll go with his assessment as a more credible source if you don't mind.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1bsfh7gb said:
Let's not be rippin on Tarvaris. He's done enough to warrant respect as a vital piece in the development of Russ. Saying he's < an undrafted rookie is pretty weak. Come June, I foresee him being back on our roster mentoring the survivor of the Boykin/Adams camp survivor

I hope not. Much better for Boykin if Russ is doing the mentoring.

hawk45

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":aehc5s32 said:
Doug Baldwin will differ with you and I'll go with his assessment as a more credible source if you don't mind.

The appeal to authority argument isn't much of an argument, especially on a message board where - if we never disagreed with coaches or players - we'd all stop posting. Additionally, coaches and players are wrong as much as they are right about player evaluation, because even with their deeper backgrounds and knowledge from much closer observation of players, pinpointing whether a player would be successful at X is one of the most difficult and valuable skills to develop. So difficult and valuable that only a small fraction of franchises have a success rate high enough to translate to organizational success.

Also, players and coaches rarely if ever say player X sucks even if they think so.

While this argument re: Baldwin is weak, it's actually not the weakest of the ones you've offered.

The argument that TJack is an essential part of the locker room is next highest on the laugh-O-meter. Would you say a defensive coordinator or a backup quarterback has more impact on a team's success? Because we lost Gus Bradley and didn't skip a beat, because the players and the overall team culture were so strong. The notion that there would be any measurable impact because we replaced some journeyman backup with a rookie doesn't pass the smell test. We can't really be saying that the same team that soldiered on through the Percy Harvin dumpster fire will disintegrate without their hero TJ?

The final insult is the notion that Tjack was instrumental in Russell's development. I can't fathom the attachment to one's conclusion that would allow them to spin such fantasy in support of their point.

Although I guess every time Russell holds the ball too long or looks lost one could argue that's Tjack's influence. Thankfully he hasn't fully absorbed Tjack's lessons there.

I actually think Tjack is a fine backup, and will resist the urge to throw 5 picks and thus preserve the chance of victory, provided the defense and rushing attack are playing at league-best levels. And I don't necessarily think any rookie represents a better scenario, because they might not have the discipline to avoid that. Why you turned that simple point into retro-TJack-fantasyland is a mystery to me.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawk45":2jj5j6ui said:
Siouxhawk":2jj5j6ui said:

The appeal to authority argument isn't much of an argument, especially on a message board where - if we never disagreed with coaches or players - we'd all stop posting. Additionally, coaches and players are wrong as much as they are right about player evaluation, because even with their deeper backgrounds and knowledge from much closer observation of players, pinpointing whether a player would be successful at X is one of the most difficult and valuable skills to develop. So difficult and valuable that only a small fraction of franchises have a success rate high enough to translate to organizational success.

Also, players and coaches rarely if ever say player X sucks even if they think so.

While this argument re: Baldwin is weak, it's actually not the weakest of the ones you've offered.

The argument that TJack is an essential part of the locker room is next highest on the laugh-O-meter. Would you say a defensive coordinator or a backup quarterback has more impact on a team's success? Because we lost Gus Bradley and didn't skip a beat, because the players and the overall team culture were so strong. The notion that there would be any measurable impact because we replaced some journeyman backup with a rookie doesn't pass the smell test. We can't really be saying that the same team that soldiered on through the Percy Harvin dumpster fire will disintegrate without their hero TJ?

The final insult is the notion that Tjack was instrumental in Russell's development. I can't fathom the attachment to one's conclusion that would allow them to spin such fantasy in support of their point.

Although I guess every time Russell holds the ball too long or looks lost one could argue that's Tjack's influence. Thankfully he hasn't fully absorbed Tjack's lessons there.

I actually think Tjack is a fine backup, and will resist the urge to throw 5 picks and thus preserve the chance of victory, provided the defense and rushing attack are playing at league-best levels. And I don't necessarily think any rookie represents a better scenario, because they might not have the discipline to avoid that. Why you turned that simple point into retro-TJack-fantasyland is a mystery to me.
And your convoluted attempt at logic is even more of a mystery to all of us.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The Seahawk front office didn't care what happened in 2011. They were building for the future and were probably hoping for a better draft position. The late season winning came because the young guys who became the core of the team started playing and opponents were weaker. The entire team outside of QB improved as the season went on. ANY QB would have had a similar record.

hawk45

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1sxlcp0b said:
hawk45":1sxlcp0b said:
Siouxhawk":1sxlcp0b said:

Well that response, which addresses no specific point in particular, is certainly in line with your approach of just waving your hands instead of assembling anything remotely resembling an actual argument. Well done.

Jville

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2rlm45tn said:
I just don't want the development of qbs with a lot of upside to be hindered by a back up who we know all about and is functional at best. It seems a backwards step.

That's certainly a reasonable view that no doubt is shared by the coaching staff each and every year. I'm looking forward to the adventures of the latest rookie quarterbacks. It's a new system and new environment for all of them. Their progress in tapping into upside verses working down the learning curve is full of trade offs. Hopefully, the trust problems we've seen with some talented prospects with surplus upside will not become an issue. In any case. the competition should be informative and entertaining.

hawk45

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":imitmzbv said:
I just don't want the development of qbs with a lot of upside to be hindered by a back up who we know all about and is functional at best. It seems a backwards step.

I'd feel this way if we didn't have our QB for the next 10 years already. But having Wilson, I feel like "solid" and "functional" are the words I want describing our backup. I mean I'd love it if they could be more than that, but I want the Hawks to err on the side of conservatism during our Superbowl window.

kearly

Reaction score
Tjack actually went 7-8 in 2011 (he missed the Cleveland game from injury). He also heated up a bit towards the end as his health improved- his passer rating over the final five games of that season was in the low 90s. I think in 2011, Tjack was maybe the 20th-25th best starting QB in the league, and probably a top five backup.

The problem is, that was five year ago. Jackson was 28 years old then, he's 33 years old today.

Recently there has been a spate of future HoFers who have defied age by playing well into their late 30s, but for most QBs, they tend to break down around age 33 or 34. Hasselbeck had his career collapse during his age 33 season. He had some minor flourishes in the years after from time to time, but the dropoff he faced after turning 33 was very real.

I lobbied for Seattle to sign Tjack before free agency opened in 2011, I've always liked him. But I think now is the time to move on, or at least provide rigorous competition for his job.

My only question about Boykin is maturity. If he matures and works hard, he has everything he needs to fit well in the offense, like a better version of BJ Daniels.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":30hmf5i9 said:
hawk45":30hmf5i9 said:
Siouxhawk":30hmf5i9 said:

All of us? I'd be willing to wager that NOBODY wants to see Tarvaris ever start another game as a Seahawk...except opposing fans. I'd also wager that there are MANY people that are of the belief that Tarvaris sucks on this board...they just don't post.

I am vocal about it because for the life of me cannot figure out what you Tarvaris supporters have seen from Tarvaris that makes you think he is even average. The year he played (poorly), the division was a laughing stock. With the division as it is now, a Tarvaris led Seahawk team has even a lesser chance of a .500 record.

I don't get the love for a guy that NOBODY ever wants to see play again and that hasn't played since 2011. The revisionist history of Tarvaris is remarkably inaccurate. He didn't "lead" the team to anything. He had as many interceptions as touchdowns. Never won a game coming from behind. If (IF) Tarvaris was ANY good at all, he wouldn't be the lowest paid backup QB in the league and would have been signed by another team in one of the many years in which he has been a free agent...and Pete wouldn't be trading him to Buffalo for a ham sandwich.

Please go away soon Tarvaris.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":30lk7z4c said:
VA will beat Boykin out if given the chance.

I really hope he gets a real chance. And I like Boykin a lot.

Jville

Reaction score
rideaducati":2m82odqm said:
Siouxhawk":2m82odqm said:
hawk45":2m82odqm said:
Siouxhawk":2m82odqm said:

All of us? I'd be willing to wager that NOBODY wants to see Tarvaris ever start another game as a Seahawk...except opposing fans. I'd also wager that there are MANY people that are of the belief that Tarvaris sucks on this board...they just don't post.

I am vocal about it because for the life of me cannot figure out what you Tarvaris supporters have seen from Tarvaris that makes you think he is even average. The year he played (poorly), the division was a laughing stock. With the division as it is now, a Tarvaris led Seahawk team has even a lesser chance of a .500 record.

I don't get the love for a guy that NOBODY ever wants to see play again and that hasn't played since 2011. The revisionist history of Tarvaris is remarkably inaccurate. He didn't "lead" the team to anything. He had as many interceptions as touchdowns. Never won a game coming from behind. If (IF) Tarvaris was ANY good at all, he wouldn't be the lowest paid backup QB in the league and would have been signed by another team in one of the many years in which he has been a free agent...and Pete wouldn't be trading him to Buffalo for a ham sandwich.

Please go away soon Tarvaris.

This feels and sounds like a demonization of some political personality.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawk45":13i4682j said:
UK_Seahawk":13i4682j said:

I'd feel this way if we didn't have our QB for the next 10 years already. But having Wilson, I feel like "solid" and "functional" are the words I want describing our backup. I mean I'd love it if they could be more than that, but I want the Hawks to err on the side of conservatism during our Superbowl window.
So we do agree on the fact that it's likely the coaching staff will welcome Tarvaris back as his track record speaks volumes when it comes to being the most conservative choice as a backup out there among available QBs while our Super Bowl window remains open. As Jville accurately put it, there's a time for a shiny new toy (Boykin on the practice squad) or a stable veteran whose fortitude and demeanor is exactly what we want out of the backup spot. There's no way that Tarvaris survives competition from the likes of Quinn, Pryor et all if what he brings to the table isn't in lockstep with what the coaching staff desires out of the backup.

footstepsfrom#27

Reaction score
Hello Seahawk fans, Bronco fan living in exile in Texas here. I came on here to offer my perspective on Boykins. I live 30 minutes from TCU and I've been watching this kid since he was in high school here in Mesquite Texas. I may have seen him much more than anyone here. I am not a TCU fan btw. I was hoping Denver would draft him to run Kubiak's play action passing game.

For starters. forget the unfortunate incident in the bar. Trevone Boykins grew up in Pleasant Grove, a South Dallas bastion of drugs, gangs and violence locals here call "the Grove". it's probably the single worst area of town. The fact that he didn't land in prison or wind up dead by now means this kid had to make hundreds, if not thousands of good choices before making one really bad one. Boykins is not a trouble maker. He's a solid guy who visits with and spends time with at risk kids. He's not who the media have represented him as. His HS coaches confirm this as well.

As for his play on the field and potential in the NFL, there was no QB in the 2016 draft class who even came remotely close to achieving for his team what Boykins did. In 2012 when he came to TCU he was relegated to the ignominious "athlete" role that many black QB's who starred as runners in college are tagged with. But Boykins was a star both as a passer and a runner against the toughest high school completion in the country. At TCU he was made a WR his first two seasons and designated an emergency QB, meaning he didn't do much in practice in terms of running the offense. In TCU's first two seasons he was here, the frogs sucked. They had moved from the second tier Mountain West Conference where they excelled into the Big 12 and got their asses handed to them.

Boykins was thrust into the starting job after the regular starter got hurt and performed well as a sophomore, but when he took over as the starter his junior year this team exploded. From a 23 ppg offense and a substandard record in 2013, Boykins almost single handedly took TCU to the #3 record in the country and doubled TCU's scoring to 45 ppg, second in the nation. He did this with almost no legitimate talent around him. I think TCU had two players drafted in 2015 on the third day of the draft. It was Boykins who took the frogs to top 10 status overnight.

Compare Boykins production and stats his last two seasons starting and you will find nobody in college football did more than he did, including Jared Goff and certainly not Carson Wentz, who played at a school that counted juggernauts like Prairie View A&M, Coastal Carolina, Incarnate Word and other no name opponents among their victims. Wentz had an all star RB to hand the ball to and Brock Jensen, the guy who preceded him at NDSU as QB who won 3 straight national titles at that school is now on his second CFL team after being cut by the Dolphins practice squad. Apparently it's not hard to win games as a starting QB there.

Boykins has a good NFL arm. NFL scouts have said he can throw 60 yards off his back foot. He is adept at the deep ball. He throws with touch and his accuracy is better than people think. It is far superior to Christian Hackenburg who went in the 2nd round. He throws on the run and he can work from the pocket though he will need some work there.

Boykins is also an absolute Houdini with the ball in his hands as a ball handler. He's a virtual magician as a play action fake, roll out guy who can be the perfect mirror image of how Russell Wilson handles the offense. Watch his video clips and you will see a guy who makes pursuing defenders look positively stupid. Boykins ran a 4.77 forty at the combine, probably on a bad ankle he injured late in the year. Trust me, he is much faster. At W. Mesquite HS here in Dallas he ran a 4.5 forty and in a state loaded with track athletes he finished 7th in the state in the 100 meters and long jumped almost 22 feet. This kid is electrifying with the ball in his hands. He stops and starts on a dime, shifts speeds and alters directions in radical angles going 0-60 in the blink of an eye and has moves that leave defensive players lying on the ground. As a runner he is already probably better than Wilson and he even does his backside pivot and reverse spin out of the rush just like Wilson does. No QB in this draft can move like Boykins.

The big knock on Boykins has been the system he played in. It's the so called Air Raid developed at Texas Tech and used all over Texas in high schools now, allegedly a system that doesn't help QB's prepare QB's to read a defense or search out secondary targets. This is not entirely true but what I find amazing is that it's exactly the same offense Goff played in at Cal. Nobody is saying Goff can't play obviously. In fact the primary difference between TCU's offense and Cal's with Goff is that Goff can't run and Boykins can. Goff didn't come close to making the kind of difference for his team that Boykins did, yet he's the top pick and Boykins didn't get drafted. Boykins also has a considerably stronger arm than Goff, who throws flutter balls that wobble like Manning's wounded ducks the last two years. Goff is also skinny, a scant 205 pounds on a frame 4" taller than Boykins. Boykins is 6'0", 210 and more muscular and compact but he's not skinny.

In short, you got a steal in Boykins. He's in the perfect spot to learn behind Wilson and if I had to bet the mortgage I'd put it on him over Adams for sure. Boykins got a raw deal after the bar fight. Talent-wise this guy is superior to any QB not taken in the first round of this draft. If he gets the opportunity he apparently will with Seattle to sit and learn with no pressure to play now he can be every bit as good as Tyrod Taylor. Sometimes scouts get it wrong and I think this is one of those times.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
footstepsfrom#27":1xob8ym9 said:
Hello Seahawk fans, Bronco fan living in exile in Texas here. I came on here to offer my perspective on Boykins. I live 30 minutes from TCU and I've been watching this kid since he was in high school here in Mesquite Texas. I may have seen him much more than anyone here. I am not a TCU fan btw. I was hoping Denver would draft him to run Kubiak's play action passing game.

For starters. forget the unfortunate incident in the bar. Trevone Boykins grew up in Pleasant Grove, a South Dallas bastion of drugs, gangs and violence locals here call "the Grove". it's probably the single worst area of town. The fact that he didn't land in prison or wind up dead by now means this kid had to make hundreds, if not thousands of good choices before making one really bad one. Boykins is not a trouble maker. He's a solid guy who visits with and spends time with at risk kids. He's not who the media have represented him as. His HS coaches confirm this as well.

As for his play on the field and potential in the NFL, there was no QB in the 2016 draft class who even came remotely close to achieving for his team what Boykins did. In 2012 when he came to TCU he was relegated to the ignominious "athlete" role that many black QB's who starred as runners in college are tagged with. But Boykins was a star both as a passer and a runner against the toughest high school completion in the country. At TCU he was made a WR his first two seasons and designated an emergency QB, meaning he didn't do much in practice in terms of running the offense. In TCU's first two seasons he was here, the frogs sucked. They had moved from the second tier Mountain West Conference where they excelled into the Big 12 and got their asses handed to them.

Boykins was thrust into the starting job after the regular starter got hurt and performed well as a sophomore, but when he took over as the starter his junior year this team exploded. From a 23 ppg offense and a substandard record in 2013, Boykins almost single handedly took TCU to the #3 record in the country and doubled TCU's scoring to 45 ppg, second in the nation. He did this with almost no legitimate talent around him. I think TCU had two players drafted in 2015 on the third day of the draft. It was Boykins who took the frogs to top 10 status overnight.

Compare Boykins production and stats his last two seasons starting and you will find nobody in college football did more than he did, including Jared Goff and certainly not Carson Wentz, who played at a school that counted juggernauts like Prairie View A&M, Coastal Carolina, Incarnate Word and other no name opponents among their victims. Wentz had an all star RB to hand the ball to and Brock Jensen, the guy who preceded him at NDSU as QB who won 3 straight national titles at that school is now on his second CFL team after being cut by the Dolphins practice squad. Apparently it's not hard to win games as a starting QB there.

Boykins has a good NFL arm. NFL scouts have said he can throw 60 yards off his back foot. He is adept at the deep ball. He throws with touch and his accuracy is better than people think. It is far superior to Christian Hackenburg who went in the 2nd round. He throws on the run and he can work from the pocket though he will need some work there.

Boykins is also an absolute Houdini with the ball in his hands as a ball handler. He's a virtual magician as a play action fake, roll out guy who can be the perfect mirror image of how Russell Wilson handles the offense. Watch his video clips and you will see a guy who makes pursuing defenders look positively stupid. Boykins ran a 4.77 forty at the combine, probably on a bad ankle he injured late in the year. Trust me, he is much faster. At W. Mesquite HS here in Dallas he ran a 4.5 forty and in a state loaded with track athletes he finished 7th in the state in the 100 meters and long jumped almost 22 feet. This kid is electrifying with the ball in his hands. He stops and starts on a dime, shifts speeds and alters directions in radical angles going 0-60 in the blink of an eye and has moves that leave defensive players lying on the ground. As a runner he is already probably better than Wilson and he even does his backside pivot and reverse spin out of the rush just like Wilson does. No QB in this draft can move like Boykins.

The big knock on Boykins has been the system he played in. It's the so called Air Raid developed at Texas Tech and used all over Texas in high schools now, allegedly a system that doesn't help QB's prepare QB's to read a defense or search out secondary targets. This is not entirely true but what I find amazing is that it's exactly the same offense Goff played in at Cal. Nobody is saying Goff can't play obviously. In fact the primary difference between TCU's offense and Cal's with Goff is that Goff can't run and Boykins can. Goff didn't come close to making the kind of difference for his team that Boykins did, yet he's the top pick and Boykins didn't get drafted. Boykins also has a considerably stronger arm than Goff, who throws flutter balls that wobble like Manning's wounded ducks the last two years. Goff is also skinny, a scant 205 pounds on a frame 4" taller than Boykins. Boykins is 6'0", 210 and more muscular and compact but he's not skinny.

In short, you got a steal in Boykins. He's in the perfect spot to learn behind Wilson and if I had to bet the mortgage I'd put it on him over Adams for sure. Boykins got a raw deal after the bar fight. Talent-wise this guy is superior to any QB not taken in the first round of this draft. If he gets the opportunity he apparently will with Seattle to sit and learn with no pressure to play now he can be every bit as good as Tyrod Taylor. Sometimes scouts get it wrong and I think this is one of those times.

Damn #educated

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tarvaris was so vital to Russell's development that they traded him away in 2012.

Bring on the Boykins clipboard era.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":33d5vfup said:
Tarvaris was so vital to Russell's development that they traded him away in 2012.

Bring on the Boykins clipboard era.
I guess 3 of the last 4 years means nothing? I'm sure if you asked Russ he'd completely disagree with you.