Trey Lance trying to remain relevant

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
Well according to my eyes and everyone else who isn’t a blowhard knows Trey has been given the opportunity he just hasn’t risen to the occasion. He can be a gadget guy like Kaep but he’ll have to improve his speed some lol
Well you should apply for a job with ESPN or NFL NETWORK and tell them your eyes are more important then stats.

Good Luck

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
His stats are garbage. Less than a 53% completion percentage is telling

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
His stats are garbage. Less than a 53% completion percentage is telling
I would think that any educated fan that has been around long enough would understand that TREY LANCE hasn't played enough to make an educated guess on his ability.

I would also think that any educated fan that has watched this game long enough wouldn't quote " WIKIPEDIA "

Marvin49

Reaction score
Seriously, I wonder at what point Niners fans drop the rhetoric about having trading camp be “an honest competition” No matter what.

If Purdy gets them past Green Bay, Dallas, Philadelphia, you guys are really going to sit there and say, “well we’ll just have to see how Lance does in PRESEASON.”

Honestly, I don't really think Niner fans are thinking about it much AT ALL.

I think most fans thought season was over after Jimmy got hurt and are now just enjoying the ride. Niners are 2 seed in the NFC and you really think we are expending a ton of energy working about next years QB situation?

Really not.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
So 2 preseason games and 1 1/4 regular season games? And you are calling Trey Lance a bust?

😆
Niners 2021 pre-season opponents were the Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders. The games he started against the Cardinals, on 10/10/21, and against the Texans, on 01/02/22, were during the regular season.

Niners 2022 pre-season opponents were the Packers, Vikings, and Texans. The games he started against The Bears, on 9/11/22, and Hawks 9/18/22, were during the regular season.

From Pro Football Reference. Asterisks are games started. Other games listed are games played. Games where he saw no playing time are not shown, neither are the preseason games.

Pff

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The most Realistic hope for Lance to start next year is for the 9ers to crap the bed Saturday. Assuming They don’t, each ensuing win means they’ll look stupid not starting Purdy in 2023.

Good on doc for finding the 2021 preseason numbers. Lances three series showdown in preseason was a disaster that portended his first game. And those stats in the second show He almost immediately got sesson ending squished. First rush he had, in fact.

Im amazed 49ers fans are so diehard on starting this guy. All the rah rah around him will only benefit them if they listen to the colts or Houston for their first rounder.

Jac

Reaction score
He's a developmental QB that hasn't played meaningful football since 2019 (going into the 2023 season). He's out of sync with where the 49ers are as a franchise. They're in their window now. As we know, it's hard to keep a top-notch defense together. Coaches leave, players age, draft picks don't work out, etc. If there's a happy ending to his particular story, it'll be one of the first.

Marvin49

Reaction score
For phucks sake, let it go already.

Yeah....I'm just kinda done with the conversation. LOL.

There will be plenty of time to think about Purdy v Lance after the season. I'm just enjoying this unexpected ride.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Yeah....I'm just kinda done with the conversation. LOL.

There will be plenty of time to think about Purdy v Lance after the season. I'm just enjoying this unexpected ride.
To be completely honest, I am enjoying the same thing....but different team.

chris98251

Reaction score
I wonder do they favor Lance because of what they invested to get him and sit Purdy? If so Purdy being Mr Irrelevant probably doesn't have another year on his contract and will be on the market to resign or for someone else to grab for little more then nothing comparatively speaking, he can play so that will drive up his price now.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I wonder do they favor Lance because of what they invested to get him and sit Purdy? If so Purdy being Mr Irrelevant probably doesn't have another year on his contract and will be on the market to resign or for someone else to grab for little more then nothing comparatively speaking, he can play so that will drive up his price now.

Purdy is under contract this year and three more. As a rookie, they can't even redo his contract if they wanted to until after year 3. His full deal is 4 years $3,737,008.

If we have learned anything about Shanahan, its that he doesn't prolong mistakes based on what's been invested.

We don't know yet with Lance, but if they ever made that determination, there is no way that they play Lance just because of what was given up. They moved on from Solomon Thomas, Reuben Foster, and were even trying to move on from Jimmy G.

They will play the guy that is in the best interest of the team and it will have nothing to do with the draft pick compensation.

They have no need to trade either guy for a few years as they are under rookie contracts and this has time to play out.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Niners 2021 pre-season opponents were the Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders. The games he started against the Cardinals, on 10/10/21, and against the Texans, on 01/02/22, were during the regular season.

Niners 2022 pre-season opponents were the Packers, Vikings, and Texans. The games he started against The Bears, on 9/11/22, and Hawks 9/18/22, were during the regular season.

From Pro Football Reference. Asterisks are games started. Other games listed are games played. Games where he saw no playing time are not shown, neither are the preseason games.

View attachment 56534
I stand corrected. He doesn’t have a 53% completion percentage it’s closer to 46. I remember the Cards game last year when he looked like a chicken with his head cut off all game. Almost got his pencil neck cracked trying to take on a linebacker at the goal line

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
I stand corrected. He doesn’t have a 53% completion percentage it’s closer to 46. I remember the Cards game last year when he looked like a chicken with his head cut off all game. Almost got his pencil neck cracked trying to take on a linebacker at the goal line
And Arlos rears his ugly head again. I'll bet this guy has a 49er Voodoo doll under his pillow.

TBH, not sure who's worse, Arlos or Santaclara. They both act two ex's fighting over which one Lance still loves.

Weadoption

Reaction score
They gave up the 2022 29th and 94th picks and hopefully the 32nd pick in the 2023 draft, in the move up to get Lance.
The draft capital is not as pricey as folks make it out to be.
Now Trey will get to learn behind an experienced veteran QB from Iowa St.
If Purdy goes down next year, Trey will get another chance I’m sure.
That’s a healthy situation to be in as far as the qb room is concerned. I don’t see a lot of ego in either of those players.
Short samples sizes for both players thus far, so ya the wheels could still fall off to be sure.

Marvin49

Reaction score
And Arlos rears his ugly head again. I'll bet this guy has a 49er Voodoo doll under his pillow.

TBH, not sure who's worse, Arlos or Santaclara. They both act two ex's fighting over which one Lance still loves.
Honestly, before this thread I thought SantaClaraHawk was pretty reasonable.

This one is kinda outta the blue.