Trouble In Philly?

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1in4dfj6 said:
I don't think Kelly makes sense in SF. If he leaves Philly it's because he wants to control the program, and York/Baalke have clearly demonstrated they are unwilling to let go of the reigns. Baalke ain't steppin' down for no man after having to deal with Harbaugh's B.S.

Also, I'm convinced SF's defense takes a huge step back if it plays at Chip's tempo. The Niners, like Seattle, hide some deficiencies in defense by playing methodically on offense. Seattle leads the NFL in fewest D snaps. On the flip side, Chip drives his D and O-line into the ground, and it shows up late in the season.

I think Chip's O is pretty overrated TBH, but I think he's a good "culture" guy, which is often what makes a great HC above everything else.

I'm inclined to agree with you on all counts.

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":396gas6u said:
I don't think Kelly makes sense in SF. If he leaves Philly it's because he wants to control the program, and York/Baalke have clearly demonstrated they are unwilling to let go of the reigns. Baalke ain't steppin' down for no man after having to deal with Harbaugh's B.S.

Also, I'm convinced SF's defense takes a huge step back if it plays at Chip's tempo. The Niners, like Seattle, hide some deficiencies in defense by playing methodically on offense. Seattle leads the NFL in fewest D snaps. On the flip side, Chip drives his D and O-line into the ground, and it shows up late in the season.

I think Chip's O is pretty overrated TBH, but I think he's a good "culture" guy, which is often what makes a great HC above everything else.

Maybe.

I think SF has to concede a bit to rid themselves of the Harbaugh fiasco's stench. It would also empower and backup the investment they made in Kaep. I think whatever move they do make, will lean towards an offensive guys not afraid to blend some "Saturday" with his (or her) offenses.

I agree on the defense, but for different reasons. IMO, the 49ers know their post Scot drafts have kind of sucked. They play their starters more than almost everyone because they don't have quality depth. They have to keep that defense fresh and healthy as much as possible. They just don't have the horses (racist!).

endzorn

Reaction score
drdiags":1lwc0lub said:
Looks like crisis averted

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/551157017633886208[/tweet]
I'd love to hear what precipitated his move. Seems like Chip has gotten his way so far so what does he need/want that he hasn't been able to get?

drdiags

Reaction score
From Adam Schefter's Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/882269685159007

Eagles' announcement: Chairman and CEO Jeffrey Lurie today announced a new structural change for the Philadelphia Eagles.
Howie Roseman will be elevated to the role of Executive Vice President of Football Operations and will continue directing contract negotiations, salary cap management, and NFL strategic matters, while overseeing the team’s medical staff, equipment staff and more.

Head coach Chip Kelly will now oversee the player personnel department. He will also lead efforts to hire a new personnel executive – a process that will begin immediately.

“We are a good football team and we believe these steps will help make us a great team," said Lurie. "That step - from good to great - is the most difficult one for any organization to make. To do that, sometimes you have to step back and really look hard at where you are today and what you want to become."

Roseman has been with the Eagles for 16 years in a variety of roles - as general manager since 2010.
“Philadelphia is my home and the Eagles are my family. My number one goal is to help bring a championship to this city and that will never change," said Roseman. "I believe this will solidify the trust we have all placed in Coach Kelly."
Kelly, who was hired as the Eagles head coach in 2013, has had two ten-win seasons.

“I am very confident about where we are headed as a team and as an organization. I look forward to continue working with Jeffrey and Howie as well as the personnel department," said Kelly.

“This is not a one-man operation,” added Kelly. “It will truly take a team effort to acquire and develop the best football players and then put the best team on the field each week. It will take all of us working together."

drdiags

Reaction score
Other's take on the power-play that just unfolded

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DonBanks/status/551159344247894016[/tweet]

pehawk

Reaction score
endzorn":m94vub6m said:
drdiags":m94vub6m said:
Looks like crisis averted

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/551157017633886208[/tweet]
I'd love to hear what precipitated his move. Seems like Chip has gotten his way so far so what does he need/want that he hasn't been able to get?

Exactly.

Jville

Reaction score
All is well in Philadelphia ..... for the time being.

Chip Kelly given control over Eagles personnel following rumors he might leave >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/2/7482281/chip-kelly-player-personnel-rumors-howie-roseman[/urltargetblank]
Chip Kelly is staying on as the head coach of the Eagles, but there has been a major organizational shakeup in Philadelphia. Kelly, who had been rumored to be on the verge of leaving after a falling out with general manager Howie Roseman, has been given complete control of the player personnel department, the team announced Friday.