Turbin is the Mini BEAST

HawkWow

Reaction score
ivotuk":4rhsfz96 said:
HawkWow":4rhsfz96 said:
Sloooooowly but surely .net.

With all respect, unsure why anyone would think he was drafted to make big plays for us. Is it because of his nickname? He was brought in to do exactly what he's been doing and that's why the hate for him from people that fail to understand the position or Turbin's role at the position.

Turbin is working out nicely for Pete. Pete wanted a guy that would give us 3 or 4 while resting Lynch and more importantly, a guy that will hold onto the rock. Unfortunately, the O-line seems to also rest while Lynch is out, so Turbin gets damn near zero blocking or some asshat holds, negating his runs that would probably have him ahead of ML in YPC.

Pete's big play guy was our first pick last year.

So true. I mean, since when does a team look for a big play running back in the fourth round? That would be idiotic. "Yea he's a first round big play talent but we waited until the fourth round to pick him"

Thanks for agreeing with me bro (few ever do) but prepare for someone to use RW to counter your point. But how often does that actually, wittingly happen? Your point, imo, remains an excellent one.

endzorn

Reaction score
Turbin goes down on more arm tackles than Julius Jones.

HawkWow

Reaction score
seahawksfanatic000":1tz7rxet said:
hawkfannj":1tz7rxet said:
Well I might not be in the majority here .
He kinda goes down really easy . Not a good quality in a RB IMO

I get what you are saying. He hasn't quite figured out how to put his head down as effectively as a power back should

Good observation and I want to believe that's akin to RW giving up on plays (sometimes) too quickly. Like RW, I think Turbo is scared to death of turning the ball over. But I never watched him in college so really know little of his style other than what I've seen from him as a Hawk.

Spelling a living legend in Marshawn may also add some anxiety to the mix for him, too. He knows his role behind Lynch and probably admires the hell out of the guy. Tough spot for the kid but I like him a lot and have since his arrival. I'd encourage people to youtube his highlights. He's quietly made some fine plays for us and he's probably better, or more capable, than many realize. Now we just need a post Marshawn #1 and I think we're solid back there. ; )

HawkWow

Reaction score
endzorn":29fs2g2j said:

Should we cut him tomorrow?

Turbin averages 3.9 ypc and has had many long runs negated. Lynch averages 4.2.

So while we all love the way 'shawn WARS for us, in reality, he's getting only a few inches more pc than Turbin and Turbin is doing this without the benefit of rhythm.

Rhythm is huge to all RBs. How many times have we heard some dimwit announcer proclaim "He just keeps getting stronger as the game goes on"! ?

All (good) running backs get stronger as the game goes on. It's the nature of the position and circumstances related to both position and event. You will notice most RBs do not want to come out late in a game. Rhythm is a big reason why.

Additionally, Turbin in his 3rd year has never fumbled from the RB position.

If you're going to get down on our RBs because they don't run like Marshawn Lynch, anticipate disappointment going forward.

endzorn

Reaction score
HawkWow":3zauyxlb said:
endzorn":3zauyxlb said:

So while we all love the way 'shawn WARS for us, in reality, he's getting only a few inches more pc than Turbin and Turbin is doing this without the benefit of rhythm.

Rhythm is huge to all RBs. How many times have we heard some dimwit announcer proclaim "He just keeps getting stronger as the game goes on"! ?

All (good) running backs get stronger as the game goes on. It's the nature of the position and circumstances related to both position and event. You will notice most RBs do not want to come out late in a game. Rhythm is a big reason why.

If you're going to get down on our RBs because they don't run like Marshawn Lynch, anticipate disappointment going forward.
I'm only trying to temper the hyperbole. I think he's a serviceable FB, but as a running back he's about as average as you'll find. Because I don't believe he's an outstanding runner doesn't mean I want him cut. Easy fella.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Robert Turbin is the next coming of Mo Morris. Like Morris, he doesn't have great power, nor does he have great elusiveness. He knows how to find holes on a regular basis and explode for 3-4 yards, but rarely do we see a big play in the running game from him.

Simply put, he is extremely mediocre as a running back.

Where I REALLY like his value is at FB. Unlike Morris, Turbin has a much bigger frame than Morris, yet he's just as fast as Morris was. He seems to have a natural knack for lead blocking, yet when he is on the field he is also a viable weapon in the passing game. He has a natural feel for what the defense is doing, and he has proven to be very adept at creating space in the passing game. As an outlet receiver he's deadly. He has enough space to create a full head of steam, when this happens Turbin becomes hard to bring down.

I hope Seattle keeps Turbin here, I really feel like he has an opportunity to be an elite full-back that is relevant in today's pass heavy league.

TwilightError

Reaction score
He was good. I have given him a lot of critique, so I was happy to see him do well.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Referring to "Turbin" and "Beast" in correlation with each other is a misnomer of the highest degree.

Absolutely not.

rideaducati

Reaction score
kearly":v35jlige said:
Turbin is a nice player in many ways, but for a guy that was drafted in the 4th round precisely because of his big play ability, he hasn't done dick for explosive plays in the NFL.

Good game today though. He had a really tough catch on for a nice gain in the 4th quarter on a swing pass. Bailed Wilson out on a high throw. He was worth a consistent 3-4 yards per run too, which means his iffy YPC today helped the team more than it looked.

Turbin has also had most of his 20+ yard gainers called back because of unnecessary penalties. He has had about 300 yards taken from him. If you were to take away just the holding calls that had no bearing on the plays, his ypc average would have been close to 7 last season. He will never be the inside runner that Lynch is, but he looks to be a better outside runner than Lynch.

The "explosive" plays have been there all along, it's the penalties that negate them that make it harder to remember.

kearly

Reaction score
HawkWow":3n25zo4z said:
Sloooooowly but surely .net.

With all respect, unsure why anyone would think he was drafted to make big plays for us. Is it because of his nickname?

Turbin had an 88 yard TD in college, and his college numbers (YPC, TDs, etc) were very similar to Ryan Matthews, a 1st round pick who played in the same conference.

Turbin was also one of the fastest RBs at his combine.

I scouted him for SDB that year. He was an explosive play machine at Utah State. His big plays were pretty much Utah State's entire offense.

rideaducati":3n25zo4z said:
Turbin has also had most of his 20+ yard gainers called back because of unnecessary penalties. He has had about 300 yards taken from him.

I was one of the first persons to point this out last year. I called it the "Turbin rule" in many of my RT posts. I've said a few times in the past that I thought Turbin played better than his numbers in 2013.

This year, I don't know if he's had a big play called back yet. I can't remember any. He's at basically 4.0 yards per carry right now. He's had some bad games, and some good games. I thought the Carolina game was his best game so far this season.

Turbin has shown some small signs of improvement this year. Rather than just treat every run like a fullback dive he's decided to actually weave a bit during his runs which has helped him pick up the extra yard. My problem with Turbin is that it feels like it takes a perfectly executed play for him to get more than five yards on a carry. Lynch and Michael, in different ways, have the ability to make plays on their own.

The decision to move Turbin to FB only reinforces the idea for me that Seattle views Turbin as a good soldier and a utility player, but not the guy they see taking the reigns after Lynch.

kearly

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1k7qf5lt said:
Robert Turbin is the next coming of Mo Morris. Like Morris, he doesn't have great power, nor does he have great elusiveness. He knows how to find holes on a regular basis and explode for 3-4 yards, but rarely do we see a big play in the running game from him.

Morris was shiftier and really under-rated as a receiver, but I've been feeling this same comp myself. As runners, they were both decisive plow ahead 'three yards and a cloud of dust' guys. Except that Morris would end up with five yards, because he played in a pass to set up the run offense.

If Turbin was a Bronco, he'd be a fantasy stud.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkWow":2n2iy7sw said:
endzorn":2n2iy7sw said:

Are we stretching the meaning of a shoe-string tackle, because that's how he gets taken down the majority of the time; not from arm tackles.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":jfaj4kq7 said:
Rather than just treat every run like a fullback dive he's decided to actually weave a bit during his runs which has helped him pick up the extra yard.

Yes, he has incorporated a stiff arm and that weave into his repertoire, which gives me some hope. Now if he can just add some high stepping and better cuts. I fear he doesn't have the right physical base for that. Who was the little fire plug that Tampa then Atlanta had for awhile (back in 2000ish)? Turbin runs with the same style as that guy, but his center of gravity is too high.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't really agree.

Turbin does a nice job in the two minute offense, but as an every down back he doesn't have enough elusiveness.............AND my biggest complaint, he goes down on first contact just about every time.

I know we've been spoiled with how many tackles Marshawn breaks and yards after contact. But Turbin has none of that, hard to watch when all we need is like half a yard or a yard and Turbin can't shake a tackle or push forward to get to the sticks.