Tyler Lockett gets Extension

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I'm not a capologist, but I think I have this right.

The salary cap has increased 44.1% from 2014 season to the current 2018 season. If a #2 WR like Tate was signed for $6.2 million per year in 2014 (he was), in today's cap numbers that is equivolent to $8.93 million per year. If you take 8.93 million and multiply times three years (2019-2021) that comes to 26.8 million. Tyler Lockett's contract extension is for three years/$31.8 million. Subtract $26.8mil and that leaves an even $5 million. I'm speculating, but $5 million sounds about right for a signing bonus that will be added to this year's salary. This would bring his total compensation for 2018 to $7.1 million.

Initial appearance is that Lockett is getting almost exactly what Tate recieved from the 2014 Detroit Lions in terms of the percentage of the salary cap. But, Lockett is under contract and is being extended. This allows the Seahawks to give him part of his new deal as a bonus for this year. If you average out Lockett's total compensation from 2018 thru 2021, it comes to just under $8.5 million per year. In raw percentages of the salary cap, this is slightly more cap friendly than what Tate recieved in 2014.

The two contracts are very similar.

canucklehead

Reaction score
I'm not convinced Lockett will even be Seahawks 3rd most productive receiver. Hope I'm wrong but seems like a reach.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Seymour":4opblqja said:
I like that they signed him, but to pay him considerably more than they offered Tate is both ridiculous and frankly a bit surprising. :?: :?: :?:
I don’t think Lockett’s the type to sneak a poke on his QB’s wife. Loyalty pays! :stirthepot: ;)

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
On a very serious note; If Tyler is back to speed, will he be returning kicks again? He was an all-pro as a rookie.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I like it but seems like a lot but then again salaries are getting stupid nowadays....as for Tate when you dish into the star QBs wife its doubtful the team will reward you with a giant contract offer.....

original poster

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":199s2s38 said:
Since Lockett is still on his rookie deal, I'm not sure if any salary can get moved over to affect the cap this year. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

You can in the final year of the rookie deal, helps massively with keeping the first year cap hit down assuming he got a healthy signing bonus :)

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I do not feel like he has proven enough to warrant this contract. They clearly think he can take it up a notch.

It’s also another tough extension for age, which creates challenges in any potential 3rd contract. Seahawks seem to consistently extend to age 28-29 season, and if you want to keep a guy that is quite talented, there isn’t always an obvious solution. Player wants more than seahawks want to give at that point.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I like this a lot. Lockett is a marquee player, provided that he doesn't get busted up again, he is going to be a big game changer for us. I don't think I've ever seen a player get his leg broken up like that, If I recall he broke it in three different places.

He struggled all of the offseason and all of last season for that matter, trying to get back to the Tyler of old.. He not only had to overcome the physical challenges of recuperating from a trauma like, but also finding it within himself to let go of the mental anxieties and fears of it all happening again.

That mental challenge was surely much more difficult than any of the physical challenges in his recovery. None of us were there to witness all of that, but reports throughout were that Tyler was working relentlessly to restore himself to that player he was previously. and that much of his battle was with depression, self doubt, good old fashion fear, and anxiety of it all happening again.

I am sure that there were days when he wondered if he would ever play again. In my opinion, he succeeded in all of his efforts, physical, emotional, and maybe most importantly for Tyler, spiritually, to overcome and to truly come full circle in his recovery, now being an even better player than he was before.

I think we all saw it come together for him at the end of last season. The speed, the passion, the commitment to greatness, and the ability to put caution to the winds and let himself go for it like the Rocket Man of old, He was back and better than ever. I think when he ran that kickoff for a touchdown, he solidified within himself that he was back for real.

I believe the fact that Tyler's father and uncle, having played in the NFL, before him, and their words of wisdom and encouragement, helped him more than anything else, to get his head on straight, and to focus on what he had to do if he ever wanted to play in the NFL again.

Through College and his entry into the NFL, his body had withstood a great deal of punishment, and I'm sure his reconditioning efforts have helped him prepare his body for even more punishment. I'm from the school that athletes who truly push their conditioning to extreme levels are much less likely to get injured than those that do not.

It is the NFL and I get it, these players are the best of the best and even steel can be made to bend, but those players that push their conditioning to the extremes, are much less likely to bend or break, than those that do not.

I look to see Tyler "The Rocket" Lockett, play better than ever in the 2018-2019 season, putting up record breaking numbers, and go on to earn his place in Seahawk and NFL history. He surely has the potential to do so.

The 12th Man "Has You're Back" Rocket Man. Go Seahawks !

ivotuk

Reaction score
Brock says when you consider the rookie contract, (Clayton agrees), that this is really a 4 year, 32 million dollar deal.

rossob

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2ze0vrlv said:
On a very serious note; If Tyler is back to speed, will he be returning kicks again? He was an all-pro as a rookie.

He was an All-Pro every year (second team in 2016 & 2017).

rossob

Reaction score
If you look at where his salary ranks and take into account that some people have lower salaries due to not having signed a new contract in a while, it ends up being the right salary for (one of) the best WR2 I guess. I am not sure he is that and think they overpaid, but sure hope he will become it.

ivotuk":1ncxa8a6 said:
Brock says when you consider the rookie contract, (Clayton agrees), that this is really a 4 year, 32 million dollar deal.

That would certainly make more sense imo.

Seymour

Reaction score
ivotuk":29bi0u7x said:

To the team long term, but that is not how you compare contracts to others around the league. You look at length of term and new money being paid because the other money was already there from prior contract.

It is a 3 year extension....PERIOD.

Baldwin signed a 4 year extension....PERIOD.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Seymour":1lije3ca said:
ivotuk":1lije3ca said:

To the team long term, but that is not how you compare contracts to others around the league. You look at length of term and new money being paid because the other money was already there from prior contract.

Yeah, I don't really get this way of thinking tbh. If you're gonna do it, do it for every player who re-signs before he hits FA or just look at the extension separately - stay consistent. I prefer to just look at the extension money because you were going to pay the last year(s) of the deal anyway, the extension doesn't affect that... or does it?

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1phqcslp said:
HUGE overpay. He'll make more per catch over the next four years than any receiver in football.

Someone take the keys away from John before he does more extensive permanent damage.
I agree. Lockett hasn't merited this contract based on production. We have to stop paying hefty sums to guys because we like their upside or their attitudes. Productivity is paramount in determining who to pay. I was appalled at the Redskins Richardson contract and now we've done the same thing. It's never a good idea to emulate the Redskins' financial strategy. Never.

Seymour

Reaction score
adeltaY":2mjk751c said:
Seymour":2mjk751c said:
ivotuk":2mjk751c said:

Yeah, I don't really get this way of thinking tbh. If you're gonna do it, do it for every player who re-signs before he hits FA or just look at the extension separately - stay consistent. I prefer to just look at the extension money because you were going to pay the last year(s) of the deal anyway, the extension doesn't affect that... or does it?

The extension does not effect the overall money being payed out no. It effects the cap hit because they can use that "cheaper year" to absorb some of the bonus money and make later year cap hits have less impact. The total money paid to player stays the same.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Great news and the sighing definitely shows that Lockett is doing what the FO is asking of him and probably more. Looking forward to some great seasons with him.

Seymour

Reaction score
adeltaY":17kzjoow said:
Right, but it could affect negotiations?

With who? You mean other players on your team signing new deals? No. An agent looks at 3 years 32 million and the guaranteed $$ and forget all the other "average salary / cap hit adding in other years left" on contract because that is used car salesman psychobabble meant to rationalize and confuse.

Latest posts