UW Husky Basketball Thread

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2hkm0xqu said:
There is no doubt Romar needs to go, but will he? Tough to say what new AD Jen Cohen will do. As great as Michael Porter and the rest of the incoming class is, we can't keep a coach just because of a recruiting class.

This team is really bad, and they show little to no spark on the court. It looks like a bunch of guys who don't really care. I feel bad for Fultz, because he is going to be a top 5 pick, but won't get to participate in the NCAA tournament or showcase his skills on national TV much. Fultz is the best freshman I can remember watching.

For how great the UW class looks, UA, UCLA and UO are also bringing in top 10 classes. All things considered, Romar won't be beating any of them with just equal talent.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3vee9jtp said:
Fultz with 26 points, 11 rebounds and 9 assists but Huskies lose at home to a really bad Washington State team. Romar needs to go....

How bout them Cougs!!! hahaha nice win.

But honestly, it's not that complicated for UW, they can fire Romar and keep Porter Jr. You just have to keep his dad on staff, thats the only reason they got him in the first place. the 300K a year salary, housing and travel stipends......Little classier then money in a duffle bag, but ultimately no different

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":tmhg9v45 said:
There is no doubt Romar needs to go, but will he? Tough to say what new AD Jen Cohen will do. As great as Michael Porter and the rest of the incoming class is, we can't keep a coach just because of a recruiting class.

This team is really bad, and they show little to no spark on the court. It looks like a bunch of guys who don't really care. I feel bad for Fultz, because he is going to be a top 5 pick, but won't get to participate in the NCAA tournament or showcase his skills on national TV much. Fultz is the best freshman I can remember watching.

If I'm not mistaken, Romar's best years was when Cameron Dollar was on his staff. Maybe UW can find a recruiting spot or create one specifically for Romar and then hire Dollar as the HC. Dollar seemed to be the one to develop the players during that era rather than Romar.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Fultz being mocked as high as #2 right now. Pretty incredible talent. Unfortunately for UW they didn't have him last season with a much better roster.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This kid is so special. He dropped 37 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks and 3 steals. Probably the most talented Husky basketball player I've seen since Brandon Roy. On top of that, he led the Dawgs back to win in OT after trailing by as much as 17 points. I think he's the #1 pick in the draft as long as that team needs a PG.

[youtube]aEFg-5BApQA[/youtube]

xgeoff

Reaction score
I went to the Huskies game against Utah this year and last year, both losses. Last year in overtime, it was a great game. It looked like the Huskies had all sorts of talent that just wasn't channeled properly.

This year was simply a dumpster fire. Romar is *such* a bad coach. Simply put, there is a total lack of fundamentals such as blocking out exhibited by the Huskies. Some players that were on the team last year, like Noah Dickerson, have regressed tremendously.

It doesn't matter how much talent this team has, Romar is just an awful coach. In order for them to win, he has got to go. I think now is a great time to offer Brandon Roy the position, but frankly I would take anyone over Romar.

Watching the game against Utah was so painful. I can't remember the last time I saw a team so woefully unprepared to play before. Romar has got to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
xgeoff":ck2pw4yv said:
I went to the Huskies game against Utah this year and last year, both losses. Last year in overtime, it was a great game. It looked like the Huskies had all sorts of talent that just wasn't channeled properly.

This year was simply a dumpster fire. Romar is *such* a bad coach. Simply put, there is a total lack of fundamentals such as blocking out exhibited by the Huskies. Some players that were on the team last year, like Noah Dickerson, have regressed tremendously.

It doesn't matter how much talent this team has, Romar is just an awful coach. In order for them to win, he has got to go. I think now is a great time to offer Brandon Roy the position, but frankly I would take anyone over Romar.

Watching the game against Utah was so painful. I can't remember the last time I saw a team so woefully unprepared to play before. Romar has got to go.

I disagree on Roy. What makes you think he is ready to coach a team like UW? He has about 5 months of coaching experience at the high school level and that's it. While I think he could be an option down the line, he just isn't ready for it right now. You or me could probably coach Nathan Hale to the state championship with the roster they have.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I love Romar (the man) but he's done a terrible coaching job lately. Guys don't seem to get better anymore under him and some seem to even regress. On the court they seem to play like a bunch of kids in a pickup game with no real gameplan. To me it seemed like they took a dip when Cameron Dollar left to coach Seattle U. Which doesn't make a ton of sense because it's not like Dollar is tearing it up at Seattle U. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":qvgz7nnx said:
xgeoff":qvgz7nnx said:

I disagree on Roy. What makes you think he is ready to coach a team like UW? He has about 5 months of coaching experience at the high school level and that's it. While I think he could be an option down the line, he just isn't ready for it right now. You or me could probably coach Nathan Hale to the state championship with the roster they have.

Fair enough. I really think just about anyone would be better than romar. Roy seemed like a candidate because he knows the game, coaches the top ranked high school team in the country, is in our backyard and is a uw alum.

Would love to hear about other candidates, though.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
DJrmb":1hmjegqy said:
I love Romar (the man) but he's done a terrible coaching job lately. Guys don't seem to get better anymore under him and some seem to even regress. On the court they seem to play like a bunch of kids in a pickup game with no real gameplan. To me it seemed like they took a dip when Cameron Dollar left to coach Seattle U. Which doesn't make a ton of sense because it's not like Dollar is tearing it up at Seattle U. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

Dollar doesn't get the quality of players that UW does. If Dollar was the coach of the UW, you'd see the players being developed. Romar is a good recruiter but lacks the teaching aspect. While Dollar may be a good teacher but isn't able to recruit. That's why if they can find a role for Romar as a recruiter and bring in Dollar as the head coach, UW would be a better program. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If UW moves on from Romar, I can tell you now there is almost zero chance Dollar becomes the head coach. For one, I don't think he is qualified to be the coach of a Pac-12 team. He has done next to nothing at Seattle U to create excitement. But more importantly, you can't fire Romar, and then hire one of "Romar's guys."

It's hard to say what kind of replacements would line up for the job. UW isn't a basketball powerhouse, so you aren't going to get big name guys. The guys I want, I'm not sure we can get. The two westcoast guys that come to mind to replace Romar would be Randy Bennett (St Mary's coach) or Travis Decuire (Montana coach). Bennett would be the better coach, but Decuire is a Seattle guy and would be able to recruit the Seatte kids well. If not westcoast guys, then I think you look at some smaller schools that are having success....Archie Miller at Dayton. Greg McDermott at Creighton. Chris Mack at Xavier. But hard to say if any of those guys would leave those schools for UW, which is known for football.

I honestly think the best case scenario is for Romar to hire some accomplished assistants. Right now all his assistants are recruiters. Chillious is a recruiter. Conroy is more here for the players and to keep the Seattle pipeline flowing into UW, and I think we all know why Porter Sr is on the coaching staff. UW basketball was at its best when Ken Bone and Cameron Dollar were helping Romar out. Once they left, the program struggled.

Based on what I know, I think it's pretty clear Romar is going to get one more year because of the recruiting class. If I were Romar, I'd go all out this summer in finding another assistant coach and a transfer who can play right away.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3nmbf86p said:
If UW moves on from Romar, I can tell you now there is almost zero chance Dollar becomes the head coach. For one, I don't think he is qualified to be the coach of a Pac-12 team. He has done next to nothing at Seattle U to create excitement. But more importantly, you can't fire Romar, and then hire one of "Romar's guys."

It's hard to say what kind of replacements would line up for the job. UW isn't a basketball powerhouse, so you aren't going to get big name guys. The guys I want, I'm not sure we can get. The two westcoast guys that come to mind to replace Romar would be Randy Bennett (St Mary's coach) or Travis Decuire (Montana coach). Bennett would be the better coach, but Decuire is a Seattle guy and would be able to recruit the Seatte kids well. If not westcoast guys, then I think you look at some smaller schools that are having success....Archie Miller at Dayton. Greg McDermott at Creighton. Chris Mack at Xavier. But hard to say if any of those guys would leave those schools for UW, which is known for football.

I honestly think the best case scenario is for Romar to hire some accomplished assistants. Right now all his assistants are recruiters. Chillious is a recruiter. Conroy is more here for the players and to keep the Seattle pipeline flowing into UW, and I think we all know why Porter Sr is on the coaching staff. UW basketball was at its best when Ken Bone and Cameron Dollar were helping Romar out. Once they left, the program struggled.

Based on what I know, I think it's pretty clear Romar is going to get one more year because of the recruiting class. If I were Romar, I'd go all out this summer in finding another assistant coach and a transfer who can play right away.

Vaild points. For what it's worth, Bone is now part of the coaching team of the #1 college basketball team in the country.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":yk2d1lu0 said:

I completely agree that Romar needs to find assistants that help him in the coaching aspect of the game rather than in the recruiting portion. Romar seems to think that he's a great X's and O's guy but he clearly is not. He's more of a recruiter as you've said (although I think his real strength is finding assistants that recruit well for him). I am a firm believer that Cameron Dollar had a lot to do with the progression of the players and the success of UW Basketball when they were actually good.

BTW Ken Bone was not on Washington's staff under Romar as far as I can remember. He coached the Washington state cougars though.

Romar will get at least one more year because of the class he is bringing in next year but I hope for his own sake that he will take that long hard look in the mirror and realize his own weaknesses and find some assistant coaches to help him. Honestly I think his best role would actually be as an assistant coach focused on recruiting mainly but I doubt he would ever take that position at UW where he has been the HC. He will likely have to be fired and go somewhere else to realize that revaluation, unfortunate but likely true.

On a side note, what about Nate McMillan to replace Romar? I've always thought of Nate as a great leader and teacher of the game, even going back to his Sonic's playing days he was like having another coach on the floor as a player. I don't know if he would move to the college ranks after having so many NBA jobs but if he would I think he'd be a great HC at Washington. He's a guy that I could possibly see being able to keep Romar around as an assistant too. Not likely but possible since he coached in the NBA and has the reputation he does here in the Seattle area. He'd also bring a little bit of star factor I believe because of his playing and coaching career in the NBA.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
DJrmb":1p4d7uwi said:
Hawk-Lock":1p4d7uwi said:

I completely agree that Romar needs to find assistants that help him in the coaching aspect of the game rather than in the recruiting portion. Romar seems to think that he's a great X's and O's guy but he clearly is not. He's more of a recruiter as you've said (although I think his real strength is finding assistants that recruit well for him). I am a firm believer that Cameron Dollar had a lot to do with the progression of the players and the success of UW Basketball when they were actually good.

BTW Ken Bone was not on Washington's staff under Romar as far as I can remember. He coached the Washington state cougars though.

Romar will get at least one more year because of the class he is bringing in next year but I hope for his own sake that he will take that long hard look in the mirror and realize his own weaknesses and find some assistant coaches to help him. Honestly I think his best role would actually be as an assistant coach focused on recruiting mainly but I doubt he would ever take that position at UW where he has been the HC. He will likely have to be fired and go somewhere else to realize that revaluation, unfortunate but likely true.

On a side note, what about Nate McMillan to replace Romar? I've always thought of Nate as a great leader and teacher of the game, even going back to his Sonic's playing days he was like having another coach on the floor as a player. I don't know if he would move to the college ranks after having so many NBA jobs but if he would I think he'd be a great HC at Washington. He's a guy that I could possibly see being able to keep Romar around as an assistant too. Not likely but possible since he coached in the NBA and has the reputation he does here in the Seattle area. He'd also bring a little bit of star factor I believe because of his playing and coaching career in the NBA.

Ken Bone was an assistant for Romar when he first got here. Bone was an assistant from 2002-2005. And I also agree that Dollar had a lot to do with UW's success when he was here.

McMillan would be awesome, but he is the head coach of the Pacers, and I doubt the pay would be similar. NBA head coaches are going to make a lot more than the UW basketball coach. One name that is really outside the box that would be interesting is George Karl. Karl isn't coming back to the NBA, he has burned too many bridges with his new book. But he is familiar with the Northwest, and I think he'd fit in great as a college basketball coach. It's a big stretch, but if Karl wants to get back into coaching, it may have to be college basketball.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1esdp0iu said:
DJrmb":1esdp0iu said:
Hawk-Lock":1esdp0iu said:

Ken Bone was an assistant for Romar when he first got here. Bone was an assistant from 2002-2005. And I also agree that Dollar had a lot to do with UW's success when he was here.

McMillan would be awesome, but he is the head coach of the Pacers, and I doubt the pay would be similar. NBA head coaches are going to make a lot more than the UW basketball coach. One name that is really outside the box that would be interesting is George Karl. Karl isn't coming back to the NBA, he has burned too many bridges with his new book. But he is familiar with the Northwest, and I think he'd fit in great as a college basketball coach. It's a big stretch, but if Karl wants to get back into coaching, it may have to be college basketball.

You're right on both fronts. I hadn't realized that McMillen was promoted to HC, I thought he was still just an assistant (shows how much I pay attention to NBA basketball anymore, sadly). Also I completely forgot about Ken Bone being with the Huskies in 2002.

George Karl is really interesting. He's getting up in age so I don't know how much longer he really wants to keep coaching but he certainly does have the Northwest roots and I've always thought of him as a good coach. The one thing I couldn't see him wanting to have much of anything to do with is recruiting. He may not have to if he hires good enough assistants though (after all that seems to be the way Romar has been able to recruit so well).

Is there any possibility in the world of ever offering Mark Few enough money to come across the mountains? lol I know that's probably completely impossible especially with some of the drama that went on between the programs for a while. He also just seems like the Chris Peterson type of guy that just never wants to move and is perfectly content with staying put forever. Not to mention that Gonzaga was basically his 1st job working his way up from an assistant.

What about any of the local HS coaches? We have so much crazy talent coming out of this state (player wise) shouldn't one of these coaches at one of the bigger HS programs be ready for a chance in the college ranks? Would that make UW seem desperate bringing in a basically unknown like that?

CPHawk

Reaction score
UW would be a lot smarter to not hire a former assistant, HS coach or whatever. Hire a great coach from a smaller school, the way UO, UA and UCLA have done.

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't understand how he wasn't fired this week. It's OVER. OVER.

CPHawk

Reaction score
As someone who wants to see Romar at UW forever. I'll point out a fact that Romar lovers leave out about your class.
It's actually not #2, UCLA is, Arizona is 3 then UW. Oh and UO has the #12 class right now with a great shot to jump to 5-6 when McCoy, #5 ranked 6'10 forward from San Diego, commits. So even with that class people love to point out, the best UW can hope for next year in confrence, would be a 4-6 place finish. Then they all leave for the NBA.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
A coaching option that has ties to UW, but not necessarily to Romar, is Detlef Schrempf. Schrempf was a standout during his time at UW, a recognized star in the community, and has coaching experience as an assistant coach with the Supersonics from 2005-2007. To boot Schrempf played under the greatest basketball coach in UW history - Marv Harshman.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm very confident Romar will be here next year. His buyout would be about $3 million, and I don't think UW is willing to pay the buyout and then throw money at a new coach. As easy as it is to say, just fire him, it isn't that easy.

There was a rumor floating around that if Romar was let go, that he would get hired by Missouri and take his entire recruiting class to Missouri with him. The Porter kids would likely follow him there, but I can't see the two Garfield kids following him there. Either way, I think that is nothing more than a rumor, but found it interesting.