UW Husky Basketball Thread

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Crizilla":2898pwlq said:
I love teh excuses people are giving..."b-but he has some top talent and more talent coming in!". The guy has failed the past 6 seasons to make the tourney. Nothing about his coaching has improved. UW would be actually WASTING talent if they continued to keep Romar. The guy can't coach.

This is a great day for Huskie fans.

Lets see who we hire before we stamp a grade on this move. The purpose of firing and hiring is to make sure the program is better off then where it was. If we hire a no name coach who has never been to the tournament, we will never reach the success we once had.

When you think of Romar's time at UW, it truly was a full circle. He inherited a terrible basketball program, possibly the worst power conference basketball program. He led them to stardom, only to bring them back down to where they were before he got here.

I know a lot of people don't like Romar because of the past few years, but keep in mind UW wasn't known for basketball until he came to UW. He put UW on the basketball map.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2rpghzpi said:
Hawk-Lock":2rpghzpi said:
He put UW on the basketball map.

And for whatever reason managed to scratch it off.

Exactly.

He got complacent with the way he coached and the staff he hired around him. Some will say the downfall of the program is because of all the one and done kids, but that is happening almost every program outside of a few. THe last few years he almost seemed to lose the fire in his belly, and his team showed it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":yrirrbsb said:
Crizilla":yrirrbsb said:
I love teh excuses people are giving..."b-but he has some top talent and more talent coming in!". The guy has failed the past 6 seasons to make the tourney. Nothing about his coaching has improved. UW would be actually WASTING talent if they continued to keep Romar. The guy can't coach.

Lets see who we hire before we stamp a grade on this move. The purpose of firing and hiring is to make sure the program is better off then where it was. If we hire a no name coach who has never been to the tournament, we will never reach the success we once had.

When you think of Romar's time at UW, it truly was a full circle. He inherited a terrible basketball program, possibly the worst power conference basketball program. He led them to stardom, only to bring them back down to where they were before he got here.

I know a lot of people don't like Romar because of the past few years, but keep in mind UW wasn't known for basketball until he came to UW. He put UW on the basketball map.

Marv Harshman did that years before, who do you think played for him.

Romar went further but UW had teams for many years that had to compete with UCLA with some Hack named Wooden coaching and did it pretty well.

2193323 300x300 1

Crizilla

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":29ivwg2g said:
Crizilla":29ivwg2g said:

The grade is anything about "F". Can't really get lower than almost dead last in defense out of all D1 schools the past 2 years. I don't understand Romar apologists...You think it's good for the school and the reputation for the Directors and Owners at UW to not make the tourney the past 6 seasons? In 15 total seasons, never got passed the Sweet 16, either. Romar got 15 years. 15 years. I hope you weren't in favor of keeping LOLoyd McLOLndon, too.

getnasty

Reaction score
As a Cougs fan this is sad news for me. I don't know why people care about MPJ leaving, you've seen what Romar has done with talent. There are plenty of coaches that can do a lot more with less talent. Just look what happen when UW football got a guy that could Coach talent.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Crizilla":2necav3b said:
Hawk-Lock":2necav3b said:
Crizilla":2necav3b said:

The grade is anything about "F". Can't really get lower than almost dead last in defense out of all D1 schools the past 2 years. I don't understand Romar apologists...You think it's good for the school and the reputation for the Directors and Owners at UW to not make the tourney the past 6 seasons? In 15 total seasons, never got passed the Sweet 16, either. Romar got 15 years. 15 years. I hope you weren't in favor of keeping LOLoyd McLOLndon, too.

You act as if UW Hoops used to be good before Romar got here. Before Romar, finishing in the bottom three of the conference was the norm. Before Romar got here, we went 20 years without a tournament appearance. Do you have any idea how bad it was before Romar got here. Up until Marv Harshmin's tourney run, the team was on a 30 year tournament drought. The only reason why we even care about UW Hoops right now is because of Lorenzo Romar.

You are complaining about us not getting past the sweet 16 with Romar, when this team never even knew what the NCAA tournament was before he came here.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Lol uw basketball sucks.. it has never been good,isn't good now and most likely won't be good .

DJrmb

Reaction score
getnasty":1unno918 said:
As a Cougs fan this is sad news for me. I don't know why people care about MPJ leaving, you've seen what Romar has done with talent. There are plenty of coaches that can do a lot more with less talent. Just look what happen when UW football got a guy that could Coach talent.

The reason people care about MPJ leaving?

Ummm, because he's the #1 recruit in the nation. Someone who people are saying is like LeBron James going to a college. Could you imagine if LeBron James went to college somewhere? First of all people would forever remember that it was the place LeBron went and that alone would help with recruiting for the rest of the program's history no matter who was coaching. But also the fact that he would be an alumni and would likely continue to support and promote the university long after he was in the NBA winning championships... You know, the type of player that coug fans will never have any chance of seeing ever in their program...

knownone

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, UW fans would rather have star players than tournament berths? Markelle Fultz was the number one recruit last year and you guys won 2 games... You haven't made the tournament in what 6 or 7 years? but keeping Romar is fine because you might be the team that has the next "Lebron" for one year and there is some mystical value to being that team... It would be cool to see Michael Porter Jr. play for one year, but he's not Lebron right now, and you don't mortgage your future on the possibility of an 18-year-old becoming one of the greatest of all time.

Romar needed to go...

getnasty

Reaction score
DJrmb":2kzl5msr said:
getnasty":2kzl5msr said:

Ummm, because he's the #1 recruit in the nation. Someone who people are saying is like LeBron James going to a college. Could you imagine if LeBron James went to college somewhere? First of all people would forever remember that it was the place LeBron went and that alone would help with recruiting for the rest of the program's history no matter who was coaching. But also the fact that he would be an alumni and would likely continue to support and promote the university long after he was in the NBA winning championships... You know, the type of player that coug fans will never have any chance of seeing ever in their program...

LeBron? Nobodys saying LeBron

DJrmb

Reaction score
getnasty":smi8ofvb said:
DJrmb":smi8ofvb said:
getnasty":smi8ofvb said:

LeBron? Nobodys saying LeBron

Coach says Michael Porter Jr. going to Washington will be like LeBron James going to college

https://www.google.com/amp/www.maxp...rticleid=d47655a0-1425-4bfb-8de5-ec98d1b235b3

getnasty

Reaction score
If you think for a second he's anywhere close to LeBron then I would understand why you would be sad to see Romar go. Your right though his own high school coach compared him to LeBron, to bad would have been interesting to see if that talent could have beat a crummy Cougs team just once next year or maybe even get by Yale.

DJrmb

Reaction score
knownone":1v6428en said:
So let me get this straight, UW fans would rather have star players than tournament berths? Markelle Fultz was the number one recruit last year and you guys won 2 games... You haven't made the tournament in what 6 or 7 years? but keeping Romar is fine because you might be the team that has the next "Lebron" for one year and there is some mystical value to being that team... It would be cool to see Michael Porter Jr. play for one year, but he's not Lebron right now, and you don't mortgage your future on the possibility of an 18-year-old becoming one of the greatest of all time.

Romar needed to go...

How is keeping Lorenzo Romar for 1 more year mortgaging the future? You act as if there's a salary cap or a draft in college basketball (there isn't, in case you weren't sure). The only way it could be seen as "mortgaging the future" is if there's was some great coach Washington could hire this year by firing Romar but will miss out on if they kept him. That's not the case. So please enlighten me on how keeping Lorenzo Romar for 1 more year to bring in the best recruiting class in the history of the school with the chance of also having an NBA all star caliber player come through your program is mortgaging the future...

DJrmb

Reaction score
getnasty":2s6vz56l said:
If you think for a second he's anywhere close to LeBron then I would understand why you would be sad to see Romar go. Your right though his own high school coach compared him to LeBron, to bad would have been interesting to see if that talent could have beat a crummy Cougs team just once next year or maybe even get by Yale.

That's the thing about being a coug fan, the best you can hope for is a crummy team that beats a bad Washington team every once in a while when we're on a down year. Must be a miserable existence. Sorry you chose the wrong school bud.

getnasty

Reaction score
DJrmb":2ye48zyr said:
getnasty":2ye48zyr said:

That's the thing about being a coug fan, the best you can hope for is a crummy team that beats a bad Washington team every once in a while when we're on a down year. Must be a miserable existence. Sorry you chose the wrong school bud.

Must be miserable to miss out on LeBron going to UW. Top 3 player of all time so close. Keep your chin up though pal I think eastern washington is graduating quite a few players so maybe you can sneek back into one of top 3 programs in the State of Washington next year.

knownone

Reaction score
DJrmb":1cwd4rmf said:
knownone":1cwd4rmf said:

Romar needed to go...

How is keeping Lorenzo Romar for 1 more year mortgaging the future? You act as if there's a salary cap or a draft in college basketball (there isn't, in case you weren't sure). The only way it could be seen as "mortgaging the future" is if there's was some great coach Washington could hire this year by firing Romar but will miss out on if they kept him. That's not the case. So please enlighten me on how keeping Lorenzo Romar for 1 more year to bring in the best recruiting class in the history of the school with the chance of also having an NBA all star caliber player come through your program is mortgaging the future...
You set a precedent if Romar lines up another big name are you gonna keep him after another losing season? where do you the draw the line between personnel and performance?

UW needed to send a message that they take performance seriously otherwise donors aren't going to donate (and that's a very real pressure) that is mortgaging your future, if Romar stayed one more year with MPJ and failed as badly as he did this year (with another NBA all-star caliber player) the sporting director would not have a job and UW donors would care even less than they do now.

Romar has been awful for years, you fire people who don't do their job very well, even if it means missing out on what they might bring to the table. Sorry, but just about anyone could come to UW and win more than 2 games with the #1 overall pick in the NBA draft, so I don't really need a great coach to replace Romar... just about anything will be an upgrade.

DJrmb

Reaction score
getnasty":177e1qjs said:
DJrmb":177e1qjs said:
getnasty":177e1qjs said:

Must be miserable to miss out on LeBron going to UW. Top 3 player of all time so close. Keep your chin up though pal I think eastern washington is graduating quite a few players so maybe you can sneek back into one of top 3 programs in the State of Washington next year.

Yup, maybe soon our basketball team will get up with the rest of our athletics programs in making cougs feel like the 2nd class citizens they truly are. Glad you have one thing to help you through your days though until you can get off manure duty at the local farm. Have to admire that high end WSU education: Making the leaders of tomorrow in drug addiction and alcohol abuse since 1890

DJrmb

Reaction score
knownone":28ye4i5e said:
DJrmb":28ye4i5e said:
knownone":28ye4i5e said:

Romar needed to go...

You set a precedent if Romar lines up another big name are you gonna keep him after another losing season? where do you the draw the line between personnel and performance?

UW needed to send a message that they take performance seriously otherwise donors aren't going to donate (and that's a very real pressure) that is mortgaging your future, if Romar stayed one more year with MPJ and failed as badly as he did this year (with another NBA all-star caliber player) the sporting director would not have a job and UW donors would care even less than they do now.

Romar has been awful for years, you fire people who don't do their job very well, even if it means missing out on what they might bring to the table. Sorry, but just about anyone could come to UW and win more than 2 games with the #1 overall pick in the NBA draft, so I don't really need a great coach to replace Romar... just about anything will be an upgrade.

If Romar brought in MPJ and lost just as bad? That same if could be IF he brought in MPJ and won with him... That's a bad argument.

Where do you draw the line? It would have been after this next year with MPJ. Murray is not MPJ and to compare the two shows a lack of knowledge on just how good MPJ gas been in HS. MPJ Is being compared to the likes of LeBron James and Kevin Durant. Murray is a great talent but no ones comparing him to that level of player because he isn't a generational type talent like MPJ.

As for not winning, Romar got the program to a the success people are clambering for now. Before Romar UW basketball was basically non-existent. The 6 years without an NCAA tourney bid is a B.S. stat too because they were completely screwed in a year they WON the Pac 12 conference but still didn't make the tournament. That was complete B.S. and had Romar's team made the tournament that year as they rightfully should have I bet anything that he would have gotten another year to coach this top 5 incoming class.

The only thing firing Romar did this year is hurt UW basketball. There's nothing to gain from firing him now but there's plenty to lose.

getnasty

Reaction score
Murray is way closer to MPJ then MPJ is to LeBron, I think you might be showing your lack of knowledge. What would happen next year if Romar finished 18-13 just missed the tournament and had another great recruiting class coming in? He would get another shot to be mediocre the following year. You'll will literally never have a problem getting talent at UW why continue to waste it?