UW Husky Basketball Thread

Crizilla

Reaction score
CPHawk":13sos6r6 said:
As someone who wants to see Romar at UW forever.

I'm really saddened to see statements like this. The guy can't coach. He gets what he thinks the top recruits are and just throws them out on the court. The guy simply can't coach. Please wake up. UW has been bottom half in defense for YEARS and the last 2 years they've been ranked 330th out of around 350 schools in Division I. Think about that for 2 seconds. I'm not even going to list any of the schools you see in the bottom 50. It's embarrassing to see The University of Washington listed next to those schools. Unacceptable.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":26t8h8vv said:
CPHawk":26t8h8vv said:
As someone who wants to see Romar at UW forever.

I'm really saddened to see statements like this. The guy can't coach. He gets what he thinks the top recruits are and just throws them out on the court. The guy simply can't coach. Please wake up.

I'm wide awake, I'm not a husky fan.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
A University of Washington spokesperson said it is “absolutely untrue that any decision has been reached” regarding the future of men’s basketball coach Lorenzo Romar, refuting a Yahoo report indicating Romar would return as coach next season.

Romar and the Huskies recently completed the worst conference season in the history of the 18-game schedule, going 2-16 and riding a 12-game losing streak into this week’s Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas. UW is about to complete its sixth consecutive season without an NCAA tournament appearance, leading to widespread speculation that the school might fire Romar after 15 seasons.

Pat Forde of Yahoo reported that UW is unwilling to pay Romar’s $3.2 million buyout, and will retain him as coach. UW is set to add a touted, five-player recruiting class that includes 6-foot-9 forward Michael Porter Jr., considered by some to be the top high-school prospect in the country. Porter’s father, Michael Porter Sr., is an assistant coach for the Huskies, meaning Porter Jr. likely would not want to play for the Huskies if Romar were fired.

But a UW spokesperson said such a decision has not been made, and “we are in the same place as we were yesterday, which is planning to thoroughly evaluate all aspects of the program at the conclusion of the season.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/co ... 56343.html

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I do not think a decision has been made yet, but I honestly think Romar is back next season. The budget just isn't there IMO for them to fire him. His buyout number it too much, not to mention they'd have to buyout assistants which would possibly cost up to another million. Then add in the fact they need to hire a new coach, and I just don't see where the money comes from.

What is the point of getting rid of Romar to replace him with a cheap hire? If we are going to move on with another coach, lets do it right. I'm not a Romar fan, but I want to see Michael Porter Jr. People who have watched high school sports for decades have told me that he is the best high school player they have ever seen. As good as Fultz is, I think Michael Porter Jr is even better. He is almost a clone of Kevin Durant. Missouri just fired their head coach, so there will be plenty of talk about Romar taking his recruiting class to Missouri. If UW does part ways with Romar, we will lose the recruiting class, only guys I can see staying would be the two Garfield kids, Nowell and Davis.

Tical21

Reaction score
IMO it was decided months ago. Otherwise, he would've been sent packing sometime during the 2-16 conference season, filled with blowout losses.

I'm okay with it. He's been here 15 years or whatever, what is one more year with the top recruit in the country going to hurt? We can always fire him next year. Dickerson and Thybulle finally showing signs of life. Give him his final shot to turn it around. Hopefully he can hire someone to make him look less silly against Dana Altman.

ETA: Is there any chance this knee thing starts to hurt Markelle?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3s9g2ww2 said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/coaching-carousel-washington-to-retain-lorenzo-romar-thad-matta-to-return-at-ohio-state-032351523.html

Not much of a surprise.

Not the way I would have gone, but yes if you don't want to disrupt the incoming class of talent next year, Jen Cohen really didn't have a choice.

IMO UW should be a perennial top of the Pac 12 team that makes the tourney 9 of 10 years. Period. No reason with this market, with this population base of fantastic high school players that shouldn't be the expectation.

Romar hasn't delivered that, so as much as everyone loves him, he should be fired.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
wasn't that yahoo story already addressed earlier in the thread by Kitsap? or did i miss something:

A University of Washington spokesperson said it is “absolutely untrue that any decision has been reached” regarding the future of men’s basketball coach Lorenzo Romar, refuting a Yahoo report indicating Romar would return as coach next season.

Romar and the Huskies recently completed the worst conference season in the history of the 18-game schedule, going 2-16 and riding a 12-game losing streak into this week’s Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas. UW is about to complete its sixth consecutive season without an NCAA tournament appearance, leading to widespread speculation that the school might fire Romar after 15 seasons.

Pat Forde of Yahoo reported that UW is unwilling to pay Romar’s $3.2 million buyout, and will retain him as coach. UW is set to add a touted, five-player recruiting class that includes 6-foot-9 forward Michael Porter Jr., considered by some to be the top high-school prospect in the country. Porter’s father, Michael Porter Sr., is an assistant coach for the Huskies, meaning Porter Jr. likely would not want to play for the Huskies if Romar were fired.

But a UW spokesperson said such a decision has not been made, and “we are in the same place as we were yesterday, which is planning to thoroughly evaluate all aspects of the program at the conclusion of the season.”

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm hearing a lot of different things, but it sounds like a decision should come today.

Right now, it sounds like Romar may go. I've heard assistant coach Chillious has already cleared out his office.

The two main rumors I'm hearing right now is either Romar is fired, and the other being that UW retains Romar, hires Cameron Dolloar as an assistant along with possibly Ken Bone or Dan Majerle (Thunder Dan from the Suns!).

I've heard Cuonzo Martin has been offered the Mizzou job. If Romar is fired, I could see Cuonzo taking the Mizzou job and taking Romar and the Porters with him.

I really hope Romar stays. I want to see MPJ. I know this season was bad, but what is one more year. I don't think Jen makes the move without a replacement in place. If you fire Romar and have a few weeks without a coach, you can pretty much say bye to the entire recruiting class.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
News should be coming very soon. Heard Romar and Cohen had a meeting this afternoon. KJR said a team meeting has been called for 3:30. Usually not a good sign. If I had to guess, I'd say he is gone.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I don't like it. Unless they have a great hire in place (I don't think they do), I do not support this move. Did Romar deserve to be fired? Probably. But you make a coaching change if it can benefit your program. If we bring in a weak coach, he isn't going to be able to do much. We can basically say goodbye to the recruiting class. Only guys I think we have a shot at keeping are the two Garfield kids. My guess is Conroy will be kept on the staff to keep Seattle kids at UW.

Cuonzo Martin just got a deal worth about $3mill a year. I'm hearing Randy Bennett may go to Illinois at nearly $5 million per year. We don't have anywhere near that kind of money. My guess is we hire a coach from a smaller school. Someone like Travis Decuire from Montana.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Seems like a really bad idea on the surface to fire Romar right now. It does nothing but hurt UW Basketball it would seem.

I wonder if they might try to reunite Cameron Dollar and Ken Bone?

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
DJrmb":20o77c3y said:
Seems like a really bad idea on the surface to fire Romar right now. It does nothing but hurt UW Basketball it would seem.

I wonder if they might try to reunite Cameron Dollar and Ken Bone?

The two names I keep hearing are Cameron Dollar and Dan Majerle. Dollar would most likely be an assistant. Majerle a possible replacement for Romar. I think ideally we would want someone like Randy Bennett, but I don't think we can afford him.

I'd much rather make this move when we have the money to make a splash hire.

Also hearing that we could see a lot of players transfer out. Percy tweeted that three starters and three incoming transfers are contemplating transferring out. I'd be shocked if they kept MPJ, Blake Harris or Diarra. I'm pretty much expecting the worst right now.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Is there any chance of keeping MPJ with any combination of hires you think?

If they somehow got whoever is coming in to add Brandon Roy as an assistant do you think that improves the chances of keeping the class together?

Edit: Never mind, just heard Porter senior is being hired @ Missouri. No chance of keeping them now.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
DJrmb":1tv7fvux said:
Is there any chance of keeping MPJ with any combination of hires you think?

If they somehow got whoever is coming in to add Brandon Roy as an assistant do you think that improves the chances of keeping the class together?

Edit: Never mind, just heard Porter senior is being hired @ Missouri. No chance of keeping them now.

Yep he's pretty much gone. The domino's fell fast today. Cuonzo took the Mizzou job. Romar fired shortly after. Then within an hour of Romar getting let go, Porter Sr hired as an assistant at Mizzou. Congrats UW, you basically shut the door on a great recruiting class, including a once in a lifetime player, MPJ. As for Mizzou, they must be very excited.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I love teh excuses people are giving..."b-but he has some top talent and more talent coming in!". The guy has failed the past 6 seasons to make the tourney. Nothing about his coaching has improved. UW would be actually WASTING talent if they continued to keep Romar. The guy can't coach.

This is a great day for Huskie fans.