UW Husky Basketball Thread

DJrmb

Reaction score
getnasty":2y6wfo47 said:
Murray is way closer to MPJ then MPJ is to LeBron, I think you might be showing your lack of knowledge. What would happen next year if Romar finished 18-13 just missed the tournament and had another great recruiting class coming in? He would get another shot to be mediocre the following year. You'll will literally never have a problem getting talent at UW why continue to waste it?

Next year if Romar went 18-13 and missed the Tourney he'd be out. If he barely made it in he'd be out too. He'd have to show that he can finally make the adjustment to this 1 and done environment to stay any longer in my opinion.

This program was in a black hole for many years. I don't think that you can just trust that talent will always come to UW.

If MPJ ends up going into the NBA and becoming the next star (maybe not LeBron but maybe Durant) and your school is then forever known as the school that missed out on him because of what? Because they wanted to hire Cameron Dollar?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DJrmb":1osivvjl said:
As for not winning, Romar got the program to a the success people are clambering for now. Before Romar UW basketball was basically non-existent. The 6 years without an NCAA tourney bid is a B.S. stat too because they were completely screwed in a year they WON the Pac 12 conference but still didn't make the tournament. That was complete B.S. and had Romar's team made the tournament that year as they rightfully should have I bet anything that he would have gotten another year to coach this top 5 incoming class.

I don't think it was the six years Romar went without a tourney appearance that ultimately got him fired, I think it was a fundamental shift in how desperate his recruiting became.

UW has always been a school, including under Romar that recruited 4 year players that Romar could build into mature experienced teams that developed players and competed year after year.

Over the past 3-4 year Romar hasn't been able to recruit those type of players, or if he has they've jumped ship. So he got desperate and started recruiting one and done players because he knew he had to win and wasn't successful doing it the right way.

This year with Fultz was a perfect storm of everything wrong coming to fruition for him............and the kids he recruited flat out quit on him. No UW team should EVER lose like they lost this year.

THAT'S why he was fired yesterday. Cohen had no choice IMO, this is not the program UW wants to be.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Hearing rumors that UW were leaning towards keeping Romar. Then apparently Michael Porter senior took the Mizzou assistant job and i'm guessing with it, his sons.

Might explain why Pat Forde got it wrong last week.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm holding out hope Jen Cohen has something up here sleeve. I don't think she makes this move unless she has something lined up. You don't spend nearly $4 million in buyouts with nothing lined up. Here are some realistic options IMO.

Randy Bennett - Would be a great hire IMO. Has done great things with St Mary's. However, him and Romar are close friends and I've heard rumors that he would not take the job our of respect for Romar. He was an assistant under Romar at Pepperdine.

Eric Musselman - I think he'd be a good hire as he's had plenty of experience coaching, both NBA and college. Heard he is tough to work with, which may keep him off of UW's list.

Leon Rice - If we get him, we would have both of Boise St's hoops and football coach.

Dan Majerle - His name has been floated around, not sure I'd agree with this hire though.

Archie Miller - He would be my top choice, but not sure we can land him. His brother coaches at Arizona, so there is that. NC St has an opening and he played there, so would have to think he would go there before coming to UW.

And i'm not buying that rumor about Romar being fired because Porter Sr was going to bolt for Mizzou. I've seen that rumor too, but heard it doesn't have much substance to it.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":27h7op7w said:
Wouldn't shock me if it was Brandon Roy with some experienced assistants.

Little to no chance of that. He has almost no coaching experience except for a year of coaching at the HS level. One year HS coaches don't become coaches in the Pac-12. Also wouldn't make sense for him to leap frog fellow teammate Will Conroy who has been on the staff since 2015.

I do think he is a possible candidate down the line. Lets see how he does next year without MPJ.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":24moqksd said:
Glasgow Seahawk":24moqksd said:
Wouldn't shock me if it was Brandon Roy with some experienced assistants.

Little to no chance of that. He has almost no coaching experience except for a year of coaching at the HS level. One year HS coaches don't become coaches in the Pac-12. Also wouldn't make sense for him to leap frog fellow teammate Will Conroy who has been on the staff since 2015.

I do think he is a possible candidate down the line. Lets see how he does next year without MPJ.

I don't think Roy is an option as HC, but what about as an assistant? Do you think he's better off staying in HS and coaching as a HC or do you think it would be better for him to be an assistant coach on a college team?

kobebryant

Reaction score
Thinking outside the box a bit.... I think Dave Smart from Carelton (Ottawa) would be an interesting candidate.

- 12 National Championships since 1999

- His teams hangs with, and sometimes beats, NCAA D1 programs when the play - has beaten Wisconsin, Memphis, Wichita State by 25; tight loss to Syracuse

- Unlike with football, the rules, teaching points, startegies and athletes aren't too disimilar between countries when it comes to basketball.

- Most importantly has the resources and pipeline to win recruiting in the GTA (greater Toronto area) which is a huge talent hotbed right now - Dillon Brooks, Ennis brothers, A Wiggins, Stauskas, Pangos, Jamal Murray, Bhullar brothers. Aside from Southern Cal and the Northeast, greater Toronto might be one of the most important areas to recruit from.

- New Mexico State is in the tournament with a Canadian head coach, so it isn't a crazy concept.

Obviously they'd still need assistants who can recruit SoCal and Sea-Tac.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Dan Majerle rumor doesn't make sense. He has zero ties to UW and it would nice to find a coach with some NW ties. There is a good talent up here, may not be 4-5 star talent but still good enough to build a solid program around. Dan would have trouble recruiting NW kids, IMO. I'd rather they went after Detlef Schrempf. He has ties to UW and Northwest plus has some coaching experience as well.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think Roy stays at the high school level for now. There is only room for one inexperienced assistant, and that will most likely be Will Conroy. Of all the assistants, I think Conroy is the most likely to be retained by whoever the new coach is. Conroy's main job is to recruit the local kids. Here are a few other names to keep an eye out for to replace Romar.

TJ Otzelberger - He was an assistant at UW a few years ago, and is currently the head coach at South Dakota St (his team lost to the Zags today). He is a good young coach making his way up the ranks.

Richard Pitino - Now that his team has been bounced, I expect to hear his name connected with UW. He would bring some excitement if hired because of his name. His dad knows the area, he has recruited a few players from Rainier Beach.

Kevin Keatts - He is currently the head coach of the Seahawks....of UNC Willmingham. Ever year there is a new young coach at a mid major that everyone wants, as of now it looks like he is that guy.

I've seen some fans mention Greg Marshall and Tony Bennett. Neither are very realistic because of how much money they would want. If we wanted to get Greg Marshall, we would have to pay him more than CPete makes. UW won't pay their hoops coach more than their football coach. Marshall's wife is from the Bellingham area, so there is that. Tony Bennett has ties to the area but I don't see him leaving Virginia for UW. I think he'd want a bigger job.

knownone

Reaction score
DJrmb":36vcxsbm said:
getnasty":36vcxsbm said:
Murray is way closer to MPJ then MPJ is to LeBron, I think you might be showing your lack of knowledge. What would happen next year if Romar finished 18-13 just missed the tournament and had another great recruiting class coming in? He would get another shot to be mediocre the following year. You'll will literally never have a problem getting talent at UW why continue to waste it?

Next year if Romar went 18-13 and missed the Tourney he'd be out. If he barely made it in he'd be out too. He'd have to show that he can finally make the adjustment to this 1 and done environment to stay any longer in my opinion.

This program was in a black hole for many years. I don't think that you can just trust that talent will always come to UW.

If MPJ ends up going into the NBA and becoming the next star (maybe not LeBron but maybe Durant) and your school is then forever known as the school that missed out on him because of what? Because they wanted to hire Cameron Dollar?
Except that's not how the real world works, if Romar stayed on for the year he'd likely ask for long term security given all the rumors of his possible firing, this means incentivizing his remaining 3 years and adding a hefty buyout clause. That's one of the reasons Romar was likely let go, his agent was probably leveraging the addition of MPJ to get more guarantees and long-term security. In other words keeping Romar for one more year likely costs them 4-5 million more to move on in 2018 and it shows a great lack of infrastructural integrity.

How has Durrant helped Texas since he got drafted? Did you even know he went to Texas? I forgot... I had to look it up. Did you know he was committed to Carolina before changing his mind and committing to Texas? I didn't either.

Tical21

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock, I think one "I told you so" is in order.

Brandon Roy needs to be on a college or NBA bench as an assistant if he wants to take further steps.

I agree that I hope Conroy is on the next staff, as long as there are X's and O's guys as well.

I'm actually really glad Porter isn't coming here. Just stunts growth of other players. Let's do this thing the right way, we don't need mercenaries.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tical21":6m7kw7ix said:

Brandon Roy needs to be on a college or NBA bench as an assistant if he wants to take further steps.

I agree that I hope Conroy is on the next staff, as long as there are X's and O's guys as well.

I'm actually really glad Porter isn't coming here. Just stunts growth of other players. Let's do this thing the right way, we don't need mercenaries.

Agree'd.. Build the base first then get the mercenaries.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3p5i5u12 said:
The Dan Majerle rumor doesn't make sense. He has zero ties to UW and it would nice to find a coach with some NW ties. There is a good talent up here, may not be 4-5 star talent but still good enough to build a solid program around. Dan would have trouble recruiting NW kids, IMO. I'd rather they went after Detlef Schrempf. He has ties to UW and Northwest plus has some coaching experience as well.

I feel the opposite.

The reason we held onto Romar maybe a year or two too long is because he had NW ties and the university felt obligated to keep him because of all he means to the community and school.

IMO Cohen need to get cutthroat and start going after A list national coaches. We have the money, use it to get a top coach that'll come in here, recruit like hell and build this program up to where it deserves to be, a perennial top of the Pac 12 program making the tourney 9 out of every 10 years.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Tical21":ejflfznf said:

Well said, agreed with most everything you said. As much as I would have loved to see MPJ, not having him next season won't have any real impact on the program in the long run.

DJrmb

Reaction score
knownone":25chcfoq said:
DJrmb":25chcfoq said:
getnasty":25chcfoq said:

Except that's not how the real world works, if Romar stayed on for the year he'd likely ask for long term security given all the rumors of his possible firing, this means incentivizing his remaining 3 years and adding a hefty buyout clause. That's one of the reasons Romar was likely let go, his agent was probably leveraging the addition of MPJ to get more guarantees and long-term security. In other words keeping Romar for one more year likely costs them 4-5 million more to move on in 2018 and it shows a great lack of infrastructural integrity.

How has Durrant helped Texas since he got drafted? Did you even know he went to Texas? I forgot... I had to look it up. Did you know he was committed to Carolina before changing his mind and committing to Texas? I didn't either.

I think your scenario is less how the real world works then anything I suggested. Romar had absolutely zero leverage to demand any long term security over what he already had in his contract (a 3m+ buyout). Plus Romar isn't that type of guy anyways. I highly doubt he would try to hold Washington hostage like in your scenario.

Yup I did know/remember that Durant went to Texas, and I'm sure plenty of HS kids in and around Texas know that too. You don't think that a player or two has committed to Texas to play Basketball because they idolize Durant?

How else has he helped the University? How about this:
Kudos to Kevin Durant, who could have the most impact of any one-year student in UT history after giving $15 million to the school. The money probably will go toward endowing basketball scholarships. It takes $775,000 to endow a football scholarship, a little less for hoops.
http://www.hookem.com/2015/11/04/bo...nd-will-kds-donation-fund-hoops-scholarships/

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":191k9zau said:
hawkfan68":191k9zau said:

I feel the opposite.

The reason we held onto Romar maybe a year or two too long is because he had NW ties and the university felt obligated to keep him because of all he means to the community and school.

IMO Cohen need to get cutthroat and start going after A list national coaches. We have the money, use it to get a top coach that'll come in here, recruit like hell and build this program up to where it deserves to be, a perennial top of the Pac 12 program making the tourney 9 out of every 10 years.
Money isn't an issue until it is one. Do they have money? Yes, but the basketball coach cannot and will not make more than Petersen. UW can/will around 3 million to their new basketball coach. Most likely a bit less.

knownone

Reaction score
DJrmb":3k0rj44s said:
I think your scenario is less how the real world works then anything I suggested. Romar had absolutely zero leverage to demand any long term security over what he already had in his contract (a 3m+ buyout). Plus Romar isn't that type of guy anyways. I highly doubt he would try to hold Washington hostage like in your scenario.

Yup I did know/remember that Durant went to Texas, and I'm sure plenty of HS kids in and around Texas know that too. You don't think that a player or two has committed to Texas to play Basketball because they idolize Durant?

How else has he helped the University? How about this:
Kudos to Kevin Durant, who could have the most impact of any one-year student in UT history after giving $15 million to the school. The money probably will go toward endowing basketball scholarships. It takes $775,000 to endow a football scholarship, a little less for hoops.
http://www.hookem.com/2015/11/04/bo...nd-will-kds-donation-fund-hoops-scholarships/
So you'd rather keep Romar and risk losing credibility as a program, so you can have a 1 year with a guy who might become the next Durant, on the off chance that he inspires local high school kids and donates less than 5% of what UW receives every year? That's interesting, I appreciate your commitment.

If UW is only keeping Romar because he's the only way they can get MPJ then Romar has more leverage than UW. Why would Romar want to stay on if he knows he'll be fired after MPJ leaves? He could just tell MPJ to go somewhere else and then what does UW do? Fire him after the fact? That would be a PR disaster for the university.

You saying he "isn't that type of guy" is naive to how business works, and akin to the people who thought Russell Wilson would take 10-15 million per year because he's a "Team Player".

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
knownone":1j6c7ihr said:
So you'd rather keep Romar and risk losing credibility as a program, so you can have a 1 year with a guy who might become the next Durant, on the off chance that he inspires local high school kids and donates less than 5% of what UW receives every year? That's interesting, I appreciate your commitment.

If UW is only keeping Romar because he's the only way they can get MPJ then Romar has more leverage than UW. Why would Romar want to stay on if he knows he'll be fired after MPJ leaves? He could just tell MPJ to go somewhere else and then what does UW do? Fire him after the fact? That would be a PR disaster for the university.

You saying he "isn't that type of guy" is naive to how business works, and akin to the people who thought Russell Wilson would take 10-15 million per year because he's a "Team Player".
I believe you're the one that's being naive to the situation. Romar could have made this firing extremely difficult for UW but instead chose to work with the school to ease some of burden of his buyout. Until you know the entire situation and what exactly Romar has FOR the UW it might be best to not accuse of being a "typical businessman" because he isn't and he's proven he isn't.

Plus it's not about claiming to have the next Durant for one year. Porter was the highlight of the class, but he wasn't the entire class. UW had a chance to have a special year next year because of the entire class and the changes that were agreed upon by Cohen and Romar in the coaching staff.

CPHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":3i6ymm2l said:
DJrmb":3i6ymm2l said:
getnasty":3i6ymm2l said:
As a Cougs fan this is sad news for me. I don't know why people care about MPJ leaving, you've seen what Romar has done with talent. There are plenty of coaches that can do a lot more with less talent. Just look what happen when UW football got a guy that could Coach talent.

The reason people care about MPJ leaving?

Ummm, because he's the #1 recruit in the nation. Someone who people are saying is like LeBron James going to a college. Could you imagine if LeBron James went to college somewhere? First of all people would forever remember that it was the place LeBron went and that alone would help with recruiting for the rest of the program's history no matter who was coaching. But also the fact that he would be an alumni and would likely continue to support and promote the university long after he was in the NBA winning championships... You know, the type of player that coug fans will never have any chance of seeing ever in their program...

LeBron? Nobodys saying LeBron

Actually he's right, overzealous radio hosts on KJR have said that.