Very good article about Tate's departure, FA stuff, and othe

HawkWow

Reaction score
-The Glove-":34pbhpwh said:
scutterhawk":34pbhpwh said:
rcaido":34pbhpwh said:
If money was not an option of course we would have sign Tate. Trying to say he's not worth the 6million is ridiculous & just butt hurt fans. Tate brought a lot from his catching, blocking, attitude, & good teammate. He will be missed, Lions got a future star.

We should be grateful for all players who played for us this year. We won a freaken Superbowl! If they decide to go make their money let them & be happy for them. All this trash talking players after they leave is just childish & ungrateful.

I think there are 49rs fans that are probably reading some of the garbage on here, and gloating that they had been right, back a couple of months ago, and NOW see that they are justified in having said "The Seahawks Receivers are Pedestrian", because there are a BUNCH of seesaw Seahawks fans that are conceding to those who were making that claim.
Everybody knows that you aren't going to get a Prototypical, guaranteed, #1, absolutely can't miss STAR Receiver, unless you get him HIGH in the first round of the Draft.
I still don't get why Steve Largent made it to the Hall Of Fame, there was NOTHING about him that screamed "PROTOTYPICAL".....Could it maybe just be that he was so tall?, nah, 5'-11", blazing fast?, nah, that wasn't it.
The 'DUD FIZZLE' that wrote that article, really doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, but there sure seems to be a bunch around here that are holding it up as the 'CAN'T MISS GOSPEL'. :177692:

Steve Largent is the greatest Seahawk receiver and first ballot HOF'er. What has Tate done that remotely warrants any comparison to Largent? Here's the thing I think you're missing. You're focusing too much on the "type", "prototype" classification. In the grand scheme of things, as talented as Tate is, he is just a type. Harvin, Sherman, ET, Kam, even RW are prototypes. That doesn't mean just mean size and speed cuz we all know RW and ET lack the size. Its about the unique/elite skill set they offer. Face it, Tate is just not in that mold, so why overpay for Tate at the risk of losing that elite athlete teams search high and low for?

I think Tate is somewhere in the middle of that, Glove. I don't argue your point on not over-paying (and never will) but I would say Tate is more unique, than not. When comparing Tate to other receivers (in history), really, only 2 names pop up consistently. Smith and Ward. That in itself suggests he is not a guy that comes along every draft...even though it seems that way. He is definitely worth more to Detroit than he is to Seattle, but that in no way diminishes his talent or skillset, IMO.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":26g8yx30 said:
scutterhawk":26g8yx30 said:
rcaido":26g8yx30 said:
If money was not an option of course we would have sign Tate. Trying to say he's not worth the 6million is ridiculous & just butt hurt fans. Tate brought a lot from his catching, blocking, attitude, & good teammate. He will be missed, Lions got a future star.

We should be grateful for all players who played for us this year. We won a freaken Superbowl! If they decide to go make their money let them & be happy for them. All this trash talking players after they leave is just childish & ungrateful.

I think there are 49rs fans that are probably reading some of the garbage on here, and gloating that they had been right, back a couple of months ago, and NOW see that they are justified in having said "The Seahawks Receivers are Pedestrian", because there are a BUNCH of seesaw Seahawks fans that are conceding to those who were making that claim.
Everybody knows that you aren't going to get a Prototypical, guaranteed, #1, absolutely can't miss STAR Receiver, unless you get him HIGH in the first round of the Draft.
I still don't get why Steve Largent made it to the Hall Of Fame, there was NOTHING about him that screamed "PROTOTYPICAL".....Could it maybe just be that he was so tall?, nah, 5'-11", blazing fast?, nah, that wasn't it.
The 'DUD FIZZLE' that wrote that article, really doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, but there sure seems to be a bunch around here that are holding it up as the 'CAN'T MISS GOSPEL'. :177692:

Steve Largent is the greatest Seahawk receiver and first ballot HOF'er. What has Tate done that remotely warrants any comparison to Largent? Here's the thing I think you're missing. You're focusing too much on the "type", "prototype" classification. In the grand scheme of things, as talented as Tate is, he is just a type. Harvin, Sherman, ET, Kam, even RW are prototypes. That doesn't mean just mean size and speed cuz we all know RW and ET lack the size. Its about the unique/elite skill set they offer. Face it, Tate is just not in that mold, so why overpay for Tate at the risk of losing that elite athlete teams search high and low for?
That one went right over your head eh?, I referenced Steve Largent, because you and almost everyone that gave credence to that article, are buying into the notion that, you have to be extra tall (which Tate is NOT, and neither is Largent), super fast, (also another Tate is NOT, and neither was Largent) and have velvet hands to be considered 'PROTOTYPICAL', and Steve Largent was neither fast, nor tall, yet he still managed to buck those traits that everyone holds as one of the measures for being a successful STAR.

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3i1ysiql said:
-The Glove-":3i1ysiql said:
scutterhawk":3i1ysiql said:
rcaido":3i1ysiql said:

That one went right over your head eh?, I referenced Steve Largent, because you and almost everyone that gave credence to that article, are buying into the notion that, you have to be extra tall (which Tate is NOT, and neither is Largent), super fast, (also another Tate is NOT, and neither was Largent) and have velvet hands to be considered 'PROTOTYPICAL', and Steve Largent was neither fast, nor tall, yet he still managed to buck those traits that everyone holds as one of the measures for being a successful STAR.

I just explained it in my last post. Is RW a prototypical QB? Historically speaking, NO. But because he is an elite, unique talent. That makes him so. I'd consider Jerry Rice a "prototype" as well. He wasn't fast but his precise route running ability and incredible hands made him an elite talent. Same with Largent.

TJH

Reaction score
Tate is the best Yac guy in football, best PR in football, and has the best hands in football. Saying there's 10 of him is borderline retarded.

morgulon1

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2j98jc4r said:
jeremiah":2j98jc4r said:
Wow, I have rarely seen such a pile of self delusion in one article. Golden Tate is a prototype, he can break tackles, make the big play, and is not just a willing blocker, but a fantastic blocker. Success has gone to the heads of the FO and coach of the Hawks. They won not because of their expertise, but because of chemistry between coaches and players. They have broken it down, and will now start over. We may be good again in 2015, but this coming year will be more like 10-6. Remember how the GB dynasty of a couple of years ago looked? Guess what, same type of front office moves, team went in the dumpster.
Agreed. I mean, I'm not going to say Tate is an elite WR. Baldwin is an elite WR. But Tate is not a "type". He's a fantastic blocker, he's a great open field runner, he's a playmaker. He was also immature. If Harvin doesn't turn out to be a glass prima donna, we'll hardly miss Tate. If Harvin does turn out to be one, we'll be sad to have seen Tate go.

But I was sad to see Leon go, and we have a Super Bowl ring, so I think the team will find a way without Tate. That writer, however, was deluding himself.

Harvin is going to make us very happy this upcoming season. He is an elite player with an elite skill set. Ever since John Schneider
and Pete Carroll have come on board, people have moaned and whined about personel moves and yet they make the right move
99% of the time.They have earned my trust. I hate to see Tate go. He's a pretty good receiver with good blocking skills and we got to see him grow into the player he is today . I think that's the cause for some of us being upset. But let us not forget that he also had some problems along the way. I remember people on here wanting him to be released during training camp for reasons like not applying himself or poor route running and problems grasping the playbook. Not sure if anyone will cop to that (probably not).Don't get me wrong, I like Tate ( a lot) and wish him nothing but success. Period. He deserves what the market will bear. The Lions think he's worth about six million per year. If JS and PC thought Tate was a prototype, he wouldn't of been allowed to leave.

If we were to have a problem this next year, I don't think it will be because Golden Tate is a Detroit Lion.

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
morgulon1":gjdwa16v said:
SalishHawkFan":gjdwa16v said:
jeremiah":gjdwa16v said:
Wow, I have rarely seen such a pile of self delusion in one article. Golden Tate is a prototype, he can break tackles, make the big play, and is not just a willing blocker, but a fantastic blocker. Success has gone to the heads of the FO and coach of the Hawks. They won not because of their expertise, but because of chemistry between coaches and players. They have broken it down, and will now start over. We may be good again in 2015, but this coming year will be more like 10-6. Remember how the GB dynasty of a couple of years ago looked? Guess what, same type of front office moves, team went in the dumpster.
Agreed. I mean, I'm not going to say Tate is an elite WR. Baldwin is an elite WR. But Tate is not a "type". He's a fantastic blocker, he's a great open field runner, he's a playmaker. He was also immature. If Harvin doesn't turn out to be a glass prima donna, we'll hardly miss Tate. If Harvin does turn out to be one, we'll be sad to have seen Tate go.

But I was sad to see Leon go, and we have a Super Bowl ring, so I think the team will find a way without Tate. That writer, however, was deluding himself.

Harvin is going to make us very happy this upcoming season. He is an elite player with an elite skill set. Ever since John Schneider
and Pete Carroll have come on board, people have moaned and whined about personel moves and yet they make the right move
99% of the time.They have earned my trust. I hate to see Tate go. He's a pretty good receiver with good blocking skills and we got to see him grow into the player he is today . I think that's the cause for some of us being upset. But let us not forget that he also had some problems along the way. I remember people on here wanting him to be released during training camp for reasons like not applying himself or poor route running and problems grasping the playbook. Not sure if anyone will cop to that (probably not).Don't get me wrong, I like Tate ( a lot) and wish him nothing but success. Period. He deserves what the market will bear. The Lions think he's worth about six million per year. If JS and PC thought Tate was a prototype, he wouldn't of been allowed to leave.

If we were to have a problem this next year, I don't think it will be because Golden Tate is a Detroit Lion.

This guy gets it...and let me just clarify that I'm a big fan of Tate. Always loved what he brought but you don't overpay Tate and risk losing Et, Sherm, and RW

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TJH":3pma52cs said:
Tate is the best Yac guy in football, best PR in football, and has the best hands in football. Saying there's 10 of him is borderline retarded.

Tate is not the bast YAC guy in football. That would be Percy Harvin.

TJH

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":240z5hwc said:
TJH":240z5hwc said:

Except Percy can't stay on the field so he isn't really qualified to be in the discussion until he shows some consistancy.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
TJH":3a4uo5v1 said:
WilsonMVP":3a4uo5v1 said:
TJH":3a4uo5v1 said:

Except Percy can't stay on the field so he isn't really qualified to be in the descussion until he shows some consistancy.

Guy has one injury that keeps him out for the year, but returns to run a kick off in he super bowl, and he's injury prone....

I. JUST. DON'T. GET. IT.

Yes he sprained his ankle last year, oh no. He also got shut down after emergency appendectomy when they found a tumor.

Guess he should have gutted it out and played with a tumor, huh?

He's tough as nails and plays on Sundays. Before the ankle, he'd missed 3 games, 2 due to migraines, which he doesn't have any more.

TJH

Reaction score
mjwhitay":2p6xzuxs said:
TJH":2p6xzuxs said:
WilsonMVP":2p6xzuxs said:
TJH":2p6xzuxs said:

Except Percy can't stay on the field so he isn't really qualified to be in the descussion until he shows some consistancy.

Guy has one injury that keeps him out for the year, but returns to run a kick off in he super bowl, and he's injury prone....

I. JUST. DON'T. GET. IT.

Yes he sprained his ankle last year, oh no. He also got shut down after emergency appendectomy when they found a tumor.

Guess he should have gutted it out and played with a tumor, huh?

He's tough as nails and plays on Sundays. Before the ankle, he'd missed 3 games, 2 due to migraines, which he doesn't have any more.

He played 1.5 games the entire year after playing only 9 the year before. He has played 16 games once his entire career. That's a reality whether you like it or not.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":gzb18uru said:
this board is one part schizo...one part butthurt
It's not "Butthurt", it's "DISGUSTED", and yeah, that describes me to a 'T'.
It's like I alluded to earlier, just too many seesaw fans, standing out there on the right field, and not even recognizing that the balls are going right over their heads.

plyka

Reaction score
Cartire":2gedbi4s said:
plyka":2gedbi4s said:
Cartire":2gedbi4s said:
Prove to me that Doug is better then Tate without using a few clutch plays in the playoffs as an overall point of a WRs ability. Over the longevity of their careers here, please present something that makes this statement true in anyway.

Doug is great, but it seems like people get to attached to a few big plays, and then end up defining someone whole skill set on those.

DB had a great playoff run.
Tate and a great season run.

One is just more recent.

How in the world is anyone going to "prove" one is better than the other? Tate has played 4 years now, Baldwin has played 2 years. If you put weight on how each player played during their first 2 years then of course Baldwin would be miles ahead of Tate. If you look at just last year you could make an argument that Tate was more productive, but that Baldwin beat him in other areas like efficiency (yards per catch, yards per target, etc). If you put weight on Baldwin's first year, then he had more total production than Tate. If you put more wieght on the specific stats that Tate is better, like YAC or breaking tackles, then Tate has the advantage.

But who is going to decide what you put more weight on? Further clouding the issue are the folks that make up random stats --how many times have I heard it that Baldwin's production is actually due to Tate, because even though Tate did nothing in the playoffs, he somehow "opened things up" for Baldwin, etc.

In the end you have to use some common sense. Baldwin and Tate are probably close. Baldwin obviously has more room to grow as a WR, since he is just going into his 3rd year --the year most NFL WRs breakout. While Tate is at or close to his peak, going into his 5th year I believe.

edit: Correction, Baldwin has played 3 seasons not 2.

I'm glad after your rant, you remembered that Baldwin has played three. Tate was basically red shirted his first year, barely seeing any snaps. So you can say they both basically started there full careers at the same time in 2011.

Half your argument is on Baldwin having room to grow, and Tate is at his peak. Which makes zero sense to me being only one year apart, and basically starting at the same time. What makes you think Tate has peaked and somehow Baldwin has still so much growth left?

Baldwin has been great. But because Tate disappears during the playoffs (which who the hell cares, besides the niners game, every game was a cake walk. Only so many people are going to catch the ball when it's thrown so little. Not everyone can be the guy each game) we are going to just throw out all the games where Tate was great.

His acrobatic catches. His ability to find the ball in the air. His amazing ability to break tackles and produce the top YAC. :sarcasm_on: but oh man, there was a few times where he ran backwards a tad. He sucks. :sarcasm_off:

I love the insanity of your logic --TAte sucked balls his first year, so let's not count it. Is there any games that you would not like to count? Tate didn't do well in the playoffs either, so let's just say those games don't count either. He had a bad game in the middle of the year, let's say that one doesn't count either. I love how Tate played in 11 games his rookie year but since he did so horribly you want to count that as a "red shirt" year, lol. There are extremes to how much you can manipulate the truth and still be credible.

The reason I believe Baldwin has much more room to grow is because he is younger and he has had less time to fully develop. Tate has 1 real strength and that is his athletic ability. His route running is a joke. He cannot beat anyone with route running. The players that depend on their physical ability (for Tate mostly after the catch) hit their peak much earlier in their careers. Thats because TAte is not going to get faster/stronger/quicker, in fact he will most likely lose physical ability.

BAldwin on the other hand has the WR intangibles. He is a great route runner. He can use his body to create space. He can make incredible catches in traffic. He has the style of play that will only get better with time. My guess is that BAldwin will have a truly breakout year next year. Tate will regress unlike what most of his fans believe. Tate is someone who makes a lot of his plays on broken plays --Russell scrambling. Stafford is not extending any plays. He is going to take his drop and fling it. And in 3 seconds or so, I don't think Tate is going to be able and get open against coverage.

We will see.

plyka

Reaction score
scutterhawk":jk9h3vv1 said:
rcaido":jk9h3vv1 said:

Here that everyone? You should post that Tate is the GREATEST OF ALL TIME or else those niner fans "win." What do they win? God only knows.

plyka

Reaction score
TJH":22mympis said:

These lies with Tate really need to stop.

Here are punt return stats for 2013, as you can see he is no where close to the best. In fact, I looked and looked, there is not one stat that says Tate is the best at returns. He is the 9th best. The closes you can cherry pick a stat and get Tate close to the top is if you look at TOTAL punt return yards which puts him at 2nd. Of course this is useless because it doesn't show how good you are at returning punts, it shows how many TOTAL punts you returned.

I know you guys love Tate but lets stop with making up stats in order to make him look good. Thanks.

Avg per punt:

1) Tandon Russell 15.6 Y/R
2)Marcus Sherels 15.2 Y/R
3) Dwayne Harris 12.8 Y/P
4) Antonio Brown 12.8 Y/R
5) Micah Hyde 12.3 Y/R
6) Ted Ginn 12.2 Y/R
7) Dexter Mccluster 11.8 Y/R
8) Travis Benj 11.7 Y/R
9) Golden Tate 11.5 Y/R

Now let's look at this whole YAC lie...here are the stats, show me where in the hell Tate is even close to the best in football? You can't cause it's another made up stat by the Tate fans. If I could just make up stats, then i could literally make anyone an elite player...Christine Michael is the best RB in football! After his 5th 2000 yard season in a row, he scored 500 TDs in a single season crushing the old record!! Whoo hoo!

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats ... atch/2013/

mjwhitay

Reaction score
TJH":3p5zzzwb said:
WilsonMVP":3p5zzzwb said:

He played 1.5 games the entire year after playing only 9 the year before. He has played 16 games once his entire career. That's a reality whether you like it or not.

I'll argue this all day long. He played in 14, 15, and 16 games his first three seasons. THREE MISSED GAMES. Two due migraines in his rookie season. He had a high ankle sprain in 2012, he was on his way out of Minnesota and he had a tumor.

I like how everyone that makes this argument only brings up the last two years. If a player is INJURY-PRONE, he has NEVER been able to stay on the field. Injury prone and injured are two entirely different things. The guy played through a broken ankle in college.

All the doubters saw a month ago why I'd rather have Percy for the playoffs only than Tate all season. He is so much better and SO much scarier. He will tilt a game to your team's side, Tate will not. Period.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Tate is not a crap pedestrian receiver, but he is also not a god like some people are saying in here. He has plenty of flaws and those will be shown in different ways now that he will supposedly be highlighted in a pass happy offense. It may be a slight net gain for the lions (I'm not expecting gaudy MVP numbers like some are saying), while the overall impact of losing him for our team will likely be pretty minimal. PR is a question, as are donut sales.

People shat the bed in the same way when Rice went down, when Harvin wasn't available, and we won a MF Super Bowl. If he was a prototype, special, elite or paramount to the teams success he would have been retained at all cost. Clearly he is not those things. Good player, and his #2 salary shows that.

We have excellent receivers in Harvin and Baldwin. Let's be happy about that. Let's also revisit this thread after Tate's first season with the lions. Some of these posts will be gems.

razor150

Reaction score
No matter what you think of Tate, it is pure insanity to pay him 6 mill a year when we are paying Harvin big dollars. On our team there is no value there, he isn't worth 6 mill to us, and opens the possibility of losing players we do need. Most of all we need a #1 reciever and that is someting both Tate and Harvin are not, and Tate isn't even close to Harvin when it comes to big plays. The day we traded for Harvin was the day Tate lost his spot on the team.

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
razor150":3j53lw91 said:
No matter what you think of Tate, it is pure insanity to pay him 6 mill a year when we are paying Harvin big dollars. On our team there is no value there, he isn't worth 6 mill to us, and opens the possibility of losing players we do need. Most of all we need a #1 reciever and that is someting both Tate and Harvin are not, and Tate isn't even close to Harvin when it comes to big plays. The day we traded for Harvin was the day Tate lost his spot on the team.

This

scutterhawk

Reaction score
plyka":2f29iirr said:
Here that everyone? You should post that Tate is the GREATEST OF ALL TIME or else those niner fans "win." What do they win? God only knows.
I never suggested that Tate was the "GREATEST OF ALL TIMES", that'd be YOU spouting that BS (as usual).
BUT he isn't "Pedestrian" like some here (along with you, and some 49rs fans) have touted.
Oh, and what do the 49rs fans win?, the "Dipshittery" award.
OH AND BY THE WAY, Baldwin was Jacksons favorite target, and one of MY favorite players, while Charlie Whitehurst didn't even know what the hell a favorite target was.
Did it even dawn on you that Wilson and Tate hit it off so well, especially after the two got together after Wilson was Drafted, and worked at building chemistry in the off Season?