We let go of Sherm and ET TOO SOON

Tinymac2

Reaction score
There’s always a cost involved in every decision. Earl and Sherman required lots of money coming off injuries.

So which 3-5 current starters aren’t here so we can pay those two? The OP has a no cost scenerio which doesn’t exist, imo.

HansGruber

Reaction score
We couldn't keep all three players. Period. I think losing Coleman hurt us more than any of them, anyway. Seems silly to whine about losing them when we just simply couldn't have kept them all anyway.

And I don't get the comments about Sherm or Thomas disproving anything or playing so great that we made a bad move. That's nonsense. Neither of them are playing at an LOB level.

Thomas has been decent so far this season, but he should be when he's playing at $14m/yr with $32m guaranteed. I don't know if he's played up to that level but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt so far. Will he continue for the next 4 seasons? I highly doubt that and I think the Hawks were smart to let him go. He's clearly aging and the smart money says no way he continues playing another 4 seasons with his style of play.

Sherman has been mediocre and not at all his former self. Shaq has actually been better and anyone watching them both could easily come to the same conclusion. Granted, Sherm isn't making that much with only about a $7m cap hit, but he was fighting with coaches and making stupid statements to the press. I don't have an issue with letting him go. He just hasn't been that good in SF.

Bennett hasn't done anything in NE, and is clearly nearing the end of his career. I think NE will be letting him go soon anyway, so we still have a chance to get him if we want to, but I don't see it as a huge upgrade.

I think part of the problem here is people assuming these players would be their younger selves. They aren't. And there just isn't any factual basis to make that claim.

I think the Seahawks made the right decision on all of them, even though I really liked all these players and always will. They're old. They were causing problems. We would have kept them if we could have but I don't think we'd be any better off.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
What is the defense currently ranked? #25 to #27 in the league, That might be too black and white, but still.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":3j4e175q said:
Pete got rid of the players that were no longer "on board" and we became a better team because of it.

You don't really believe that do you?. Lets see I was looking for the rankings but couldn't find it but I did read somewhere they're 27th against the pass That's better? I think 13th against the run if you notice you never see any of them disrupt the receivers coming off the LOS they get a free release Sherman fought with the receiver all the time Shaq will never not even close be a Sherman. How many time in the Tampa game did they throw at him it was almost like they were picking on him.
As of right now they're picking on this whole Defense this secondary is the worst I've seen in the PC era I was wondering if Cam, Shem, ET were self taught because the crew we have now doesn't resemble them in the slightest

It was their attitude I loved they brought swagger to the Team made people be responsible for there job.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Lets pay Ziggy instead. Of course we had to let them go because they figured out PC was a BS artist and a grifter. Sherm is still a stud. Our secondary are a bunch of ass suckers.

jeremiah

Reaction score
The number 1 most important thing for a professional athlete to have, is the ability to see his flaws, and acknowledge they are there and take responsibility. Of course other than his actual athleticism. Sherman, Bennett and to a lesser extent Thomas did not learn from the SB loss. They acted like they were blameless. "It was others fault". The same can be said for Marshawn Lynch. Instead of deciding this was a team that won as well as lost together, they decided THEY were perfect in both performance and judgment. The team was destroyed by ego.

One thing that really stuck out about some players was how much their moms were involved with this. Instead of a healthy relationship like nearly everyone who reads this has with their mother. These "stage door" hens have a hand in pumping up the ego, and fertilizing the soil from which the players attitude grows.

My wife watches Dance Moms, and other HGTV crap. Watch the moms and how they interfere. Ask yourself what it would be like for you at work if your mom jumped in like that. Those people are not getting a free house, and the "wealth of your dreams" yet butt in. Imagine what it is like in the social mix of a locker room with mama Lynch and mama Sherm....PLUS 50 others. Add in that the lesser players moms will kiss bootay on the more successful players moms, and basically bow down to their whims. GREAT WIN IN FRISCO ......DK scored.....he never lost possession until the ball was in the end zone....

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Sherm's mom is still doing fundraisers in SEA. And both Sherm and ET wrote PlayersTribune pieces where they said they were unequivocally wanting to stay in SEA.

Sherm got cut with failed physical. He brought his contract to SEA for right of first refusal. SEA declined to match even that contract, which was pretty cheap. My eye test on him was skeptical, but his stats show he's better than that. He is better than Quill at this point, though Quill's rapidly ascending. But as I said, Quill's bond with Shaquem has never been tested really, and if it comes to Quem getting cut at some point, all signs point to Quill being a prima donna or worse yet a losing one. Sherm never presented that situation, and having him in the rotation would have ameliorated Quill's tendencies in that regard.

Also, Sherm is a businessman. A good one. If it came down to the FO sitting him down and saying, "Look, no more SI leaks, let's handle it internally," I can't see how Sherm wouldn't have taken that.

And ET? He didn't quit when he didn't get the extension. There was no Jalen Ramsey factor. He came back in and balled all the way until his leg was broken. We don't have anyone close and we could have had that guy for a couple years, balling out here for the way he is at BAL.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
I totally agree about letting Sherm go to early. As for Earl....as much as I hate it.....we had to let him go at that price. Speed is Earl's game, and it looks like he has lost a step. Sherm never had elite speed. His game is based a lot on his smarts and his physical style which still makes him an elite press coverage corner. I have always said that when Sherm transitions to Safety....he will also do well. I am so glad we have Diggs. This will take the sting out of losing Earl. TT was awful. And it was nice to see MacDougal back there, although I do not think he will be our long term answer at Safety.

John63

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":2lslj4t2 said:
I totally agree about letting Sherm go to early. As for Earl....as much as I hate it.....we had to let him go at that price. Speed is Earl's game, and it looks like he has lost a step. Sherm never had elite speed. His game is based a lot on his smarts and his physical style which still makes him an elite press coverage corner. I have always said that when Sherm transitions to Safety....he will also do well. I am so glad we have Diggs. This will take the sting out of losing Earl. TT was awful. And it was nice to see MacDougal back there, although I do not think he will be our long term answer at Safety.

Yeah we should have resigned Sherman again and let Wilson go. NOT...