We let go of Sherm and ET TOO SOON

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
jeremiah":3txmnunt said:
The year after the SB win, they lost a lead in the Super Bowl when all they needed to do was be the best. They choked like the Sonics v Denver. Yes RW shouldn't have thrown the ball, but we should have not allowed NE back in the game. Where is the pride in their excellence there? After the SB loss, did you see Sherman or Earl taking the blame like players of pride do? NO! Blamed everyone but themselves. They hastened the end of what was shaping up to be truly great, by the sheer force of ego.

Do you even realize that Sherman was playing with one arm in that game or that Earl played with the effects of a dislocated shoulder or that Kam played with a torn MCL? Gave up a lead? We had no business even being in that game. Russ lost that one for us, not the defense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3lqtv339 said:
Tusc2000":3lqtv339 said:
What BILL would have done???? You're honestly making a comparison with the guy who is arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game???

Even with that, note that shedding stars like Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon quickly indicates that BILL does not always get more out of his talent -- and is willing to cut ties with hugely talented players who have personal issues that get in the way of winning.

Talking about Josh Gordon, who Pete just recently nabbed up, isnt a ringing endorsement for your argument. As for Brown, he dug himself a grave in this league that is so deep full of non football related incidents, that he'll never dig himself out of. Bill cut bait once he knew what Antonio was accused of, not because of talent or attitude issues.

Belichick would have traded Earl, Kam AND Sherman a year before at the height of their talent and production, and got multiple first and second rounders for them........instead of what we did, which was hold onto all these guys too long, and paid the price after they got hurt and damaged their trade value.

John63

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1smc36y2 said:
jeremiah":1smc36y2 said:
The year after the SB win, they lost a lead in the Super Bowl when all they needed to do was be the best. They choked like the Sonics v Denver. Yes RW shouldn't have thrown the ball, but we should have not allowed NE back in the game. Where is the pride in their excellence there? After the SB loss, did you see Sherman or Earl taking the blame like players of pride do? NO! Blamed everyone but themselves. They hastened the end of what was shaping up to be truly great, by the sheer force of ego.

Do you even realize that Sherman was playing with one arm in that game or that Earl played with the effects of a dislocated shoulder or that Kam played with a torn MCL? Gave up a lead? We had no business even being in that game. Russ lost that one for us, not the defense.

LOL of course it did it cant be on the defense too, or the HC it has to be Wilson. Did you know Wilson was playing hurt too, so was Lynch, so was 2.5 of the line., Every one was playing injured. But hey after all its the defense it's never their fault.

Now for the reality it was a team loss, everyone could have done things that would have won the game. no one play looses a game. It can contribute but it cannot be the sole reason. At some point during the game other things happen that if they did not things happen differently.

But please keep going, and show how little you really understand football.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
John63":1uelfcz2 said:
pittpnthrs":1uelfcz2 said:
jeremiah":1uelfcz2 said:

LOL of course it did it cant be on the defense too, or the HC it has to be Wilson. Did you know Wilson was playing hurt too, so was Lynch, so was 2.5 of the line., Every one was playing injured. But hey after all its the defense it's never their fault.

Now for the reality it was a team loss, everyone could have done things that would have won the game. no one play looses a game. It can contribute but it cannot be the sole reason. At some point during the game other things happen that if they did not things happen differently.

All I ever hear from the people taking up for that crap show that was SBXLIX is that the defense gave up the lead. Well of course they did. The maimed unit wasnt going to hold them forever. It would have been nice if the offense could have helped them out some, but we all know better than that.

Also, understanding football? You should be questioning the guy or guys that called that last play for us. They clearly lost their minds in that instance.

John63

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1oxbyb5t said:
John63":1oxbyb5t said:
pittpnthrs":1oxbyb5t said:
jeremiah":1oxbyb5t said:

All I ever hear from the people taking up for that crap show that was SBXLIX is that the defense gave up the lead. Well of course they did. The maimed unit wasnt going to hold them forever. It would have been nice if the offense could have helped them out some, but we all know better than that.

Also, understanding football? You should be questioning the guy or guys that called that last play for us. They clearly lost their minds in that instance.

The offense gave them a 10 point lead with 9 minutes to go. All the money was on the defense. They were not the only ones playing hurt. I do agree the wrong play was called, should have been a roll out letting Wilson run, pass it throw away. That said it does not change the fact one play did not loose this game. The coaches, offense, ST and defense all lost it.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
ET did not want to be here unfortunately. Sherm I don't believe has justified his price tag IMO. How many 3rd and longs did he give up on deep comeback routes? He isn't the same player. The good teams get out of a player before he starts to decline. We did just that. It would have been nice to get some picks out of it but hey we can win them all

Tinymac2

Reaction score
No way. Based on the information we had available at the time, we made the decisions.

Looking back after the fact is fantasy land.

Both went to teams stacked with talent on D.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":omogqyd5 said:
I love love LOVE Pete. And I believe in him. But please...unless we just want to argue to win an argument..there’s really no way you can credit 7-2 to Pete. The defense and the special teams has been suspect all season. This team has been carried by Russell point blank.

Will that change? I hope it does because I want a championship and people only remember winners. So I believe Pete will right the ship. But 7-2 has nothing to do with Pete Ball. We’re passing more than we’re throwing at times, something people have been clamoring for years.

Some tried to claim 2017 was “proof” that being pass first won’t work but that was obviously a small minded position to take. You do need some semblance of an O-line or running game to pass effectively.

Pete by himself no, BUT, he did bring in Schottenheimer & Solari to help turn around a lot of the Offensive woes, and so, he does deserve credit for recognizing the needed shift from Defense to Offense, so yes, as Head Coach, Pete can claim his share of the 7, just as he has to claim his share of the 2

sdog1981

Reaction score
Sherman is the hard one to deal with. Both as a player and as a locker room guy.

But

Sherman as the football player had the most value. He is going to play in the NFL longer than Earl Thomas. Sherman has the ability like Charles Woodson to move to safety and extend his career. Earl Thomas like Ed Reed is going to fall off a cliff when his career ends.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2slj34bc said:
Tusc2000":2slj34bc said:
What BILL would have done???? You're honestly making a comparison with the guy who is arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game???

Even with that, note that shedding stars like Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon quickly indicates that BILL does not always get more out of his talent -- and is willing to cut ties with hugely talented players who have personal issues that get in the way of winning.

Talking about Josh Gordon, who Pete just recently nabbed up, isnt a ringing endorsement for your argument. As for Brown, he dug himself a grave in this league that is so deep full of non football related incidents, that he'll never dig himself out of. Bill cut bait once he knew what Antonio was accused of, not because of talent or attitude issues.
It is indeed a "Ringing Endorsement", and I'd bet a dollar to a dog turd, that if Gordon turns out to be a self-centered malcontent, Pete will send his ass packin', just like he did with Squaking Sherman & Ego Earl.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
scutterhawk":12vyzkto said:
pittpnthrs":12vyzkto said:
Tusc2000":12vyzkto said:

It is indeed a "Ringing Endorsement", and I'd bet a dollar to a dog turd, that if Gordon turns out to be a self-centered malcontent, Pete will send his ass packin', just like he did with Squaking Sherman & Ego Earl.

Its a ringing endorsement that Pete is grabbing up Belichick throw aways at this point and that if he doesnt work out, Pete will also cut ties with him? Wow, what a rebel Pete must be.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3cgq09f8 said:
scutterhawk":3cgq09f8 said:
pittpnthrs":3cgq09f8 said:
Tusc2000":3cgq09f8 said:

Its a ringing endorsement that Pete is grabbing up Belichick throw aways at this point and that if he doesnt work out, Pete will also cut ties with him? Wow, what a rebel Pete must be.
LOL, So it's YOUR contention that any player that Billycheat cuts loose, is likely to fail?
I think you need to study up on the player that actually HELPED Pete to shape the Secondary....Hint; you're going to have to go back a few years, and no, I'm not going to do the legwork for you.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's just unfortunate that there is continuous dwelling on former players. All while bashing current players. Expecting guys to match what borderline HOF players did is ridiculous. At some point you gotta' move on and stop crying over guys who are not even on the team and won't be back. They are GONE, get over it.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1zkqxqxh said:
pittpnthrs":1zkqxqxh said:
scutterhawk":1zkqxqxh said:
pittpnthrs":1zkqxqxh said:

LOL, So it's YOUR contention that any player that Billycheat cuts loose, is likely to fail?
I think you need to study up on the player that actually HELPED Pete to shape the Secondary....Hint; you're going to have to go back a few years, and no, I'm not going to do the legwork for you.

You're reading to much into it. All i'm saying is that if Pete cuts ties with Josh Gordon, is that really a testament of Pete not putting up with problem players when so many others have cast him out already? Josh Gordon is a horrible example to the subject matter when most people expect him to be cast aside. Its in his MO.

Is Lawyer Milloy who you were referring to? The guy who played for 2 other teams before he landed with us as a shell of his former self. That guy?

xray

Reaction score
Why rag on two X players that were part of a defense that got the Hawks to 2 SBs winning 1 . We would still be waiting for a championship team if there wasn't the LOB . That's a simple fact .

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Why dwell on 2 former players while bashing current players? Seems to be pretty common these days.
Nobody is saying they don't appreciate what those guys did on the field and their contributions to back to back Super Bowl appearances. But at some point, enough is enough. Move on.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1kuj0nsa said:
scutterhawk":1kuj0nsa said:
pittpnthrs":1kuj0nsa said:
scutterhawk":1kuj0nsa said:

You're reading to much into it. All i'm saying is that if Pete cuts ties with Josh Gordon, is that really a testament of Pete not putting up with problem players when so many others have cast him out already? Josh Gordon is a horrible example to the subject matter when most people expect him to be cast aside. Its in his MO.

Is Lawyer Milloy who you were referring to? The guy who played for 2 other teams before he landed with us as a shell of his former self. That guy?
Good for you, Lawyer Milloy is exactly who I was referring to, and it was HE who HELPED the Seahawks THEN Secondary, to develop into superstars through game play communications.
LM's time with them proved VERY VERY worth while....They had the talent, and he had the skookum to show them how to maximize it.
He was hardly a "Shell" of knowledge.

D

DomeHawk

Difficult decisions and 20/20 hindsight.

Not a good recipe for an exact science.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
xray":2ge4ufgw said:
Why rag on two X players that were part of a defense that got the Hawks to 2 SBs winning 1 . We would still be waiting for a championship team if there wasn't the LOB . That's a simple fact .
They ALSO played a PART of why the Seahawks lost the Super Bowl the following year.
Thomas, Sherman & Bennett wore out their welcome, they couldn't keep from running their mouths-- They're gone away from my Seahawks Team, they've moved on, and so have I.