We let go of Sherm and ET TOO SOON

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1typehki said:
pittpnthrs":1typehki said:
scutterhawk":1typehki said:
Getting shed of malcontents QUICKLY is the Bill Bellicheck MO, yet when Pete Carroll (the Coach who stood behind them) has his belly full of their blather, sends their asses packing...I don't see the difference in either of these two Coaches, other than Pete put up with sh*t longer than Billicheat would have.

Bill would have gotten more out of them. When its all said and done with and everybody looks back at that team, the realization that we only got one title is somewhat sickening in the grand scheme of things.
The only LOB'r that Billy took in was Browner, and he wasn't a Long Timer with the Pats...Ever wonder why he didn't jump at the chance to take Sherman or Thomas under his wing?.....I think you already know the answer. :stirthepot:
AND, you can theorize until hell freezes over, BUT, you don't KNOW for a fact that he wouldn't have sent their asses packing as soon as their sniveling started, he doesn't put up with $h!t from his players, Belicheck is a "My Way Or The Highway" "No Nonsense" Coach.
Tom Brady is probably the ONLY player that MIGHT get away with arguing with him BEHIND THE SCENES, & out of Public ear shout.

Why did Belichick not jump on Sherman or Thomas? He didn't need them? We kind of do.

It doesn't matter to me really. They are gone so lets move on. I don't expect much out of this season with how horrible the defense is, but its fun watching Russ and Tyler playing out of their minds. Can they keep it up? Probably not with the brutal second half of the season, but its fun nonetheless.

chris98251

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2slbugs8 said:
scutterhawk":2slbugs8 said:
pittpnthrs":2slbugs8 said:
scutterhawk":2slbugs8 said:
Getting shed of malcontents QUICKLY is the Bill Bellicheck MO, yet when Pete Carroll (the Coach who stood behind them) has his belly full of their blather, sends their asses packing...I don't see the difference in either of these two Coaches, other than Pete put up with sh*t longer than Billicheat would have.

Bill would have gotten more out of them. When its all said and done with and everybody looks back at that team, the realization that we only got one title is somewhat sickening in the grand scheme of things.
The only LOB'r that Billy took in was Browner, and he wasn't a Long Timer with the Pats...Ever wonder why he didn't jump at the chance to take Sherman or Thomas under his wing?.....I think you already know the answer. :stirthepot:
AND, you can theorize until hell freezes over, BUT, you don't KNOW for a fact that he wouldn't have sent their asses packing as soon as their sniveling started, he doesn't put up with $h!t from his players, Belicheck is a "My Way Or The Highway" "No Nonsense" Coach.
Tom Brady is probably the ONLY player that MIGHT get away with arguing with him BEHIND THE SCENES, & out of Public ear shout.

Why did Belichick not jump on Sherman or Thomas? He didn't need them? We kind of do.

It doesn't matter to me really. They are gone so lets move on. I don't expect much out of this season with how horrible the defense is, but its fun watching Russ and Tyler playing out of their minds. Can they keep it up? Probably not with the brutal second half of the season, but its fun nonetheless.

Bennett bitches and gone, AB makes an ass of himself and gone, Malcolm Butler gets in the dog house and is benched for the Super Bowl, then says something about it and is gone.

So given what ET and Sherman have done in the press you really think he would bring them in, let alone ET going to the Dallas locker room and talking to Garrett.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I love love LOVE Pete. And I believe in him. But please...unless we just want to argue to win an argument..there’s really no way you can credit 7-2 to Pete. The defense and the special teams has been suspect all season. This team has been carried by Russell point blank.

Will that change? I hope it does because I want a championship and people only remember winners. So I believe Pete will right the ship. But 7-2 has nothing to do with Pete Ball. We’re passing more than we’re throwing at times, something people have been clamoring for years.

Some tried to claim 2017 was “proof” that being pass first won’t work but that was obviously a small minded position to take. You do need some semblance of an O-line or running game to pass effectively.

John63

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1kw7vkti said:
I love love LOVE Pete. And I believe in him. But please...unless we just want to argue to win an argument..there’s really no way you can credit 7-2 to Pete. The defense and the special teams has been suspect all season. This team has been carried by Russell point blank.

Will that change? I hope it does because I want a championship and people only remember winners. So I believe Pete will right the ship. But 7-2 has nothing to do with Pete Ball. We’re passing more than we’re throwing at times, something people have been clamoring for years.

Some tried to claim 2017 was “proof” that being pass first won’t work but that was obviously a small minded position to take. You do need some semblance of an O-line or running game to pass effectively.

Anyone who thinks 2017 is proof pass first will not work is dumb. We were a decent kicker from 13-3. If you go back to 2012-2014 if we had the same kicker we might not have made the playoffs. DO you need a run game and good defense, of course. But that does not mean you can't be pass first. Right now we have a great pass and run game, just a sub par defense.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kmeleon":2eqp9kii said:
It was destroying them internally. I don't miss that part now, we're a team and it's all positives coming out of that locker room now.

If only positivity scored points on the field.

Can anyone offer any evidence that the team was being "destroyed" internally? I've actually never really seen any. It doesn't make much sense to call it "destruction" if it never showed on the field. And it never showed on the field. Earl, Sherman, Bennett - they were all playing elite football right up until the moment they played their last down for the Seahawks. And the defense got worse every time one of them exited. For all the hand-wringing over Comegetmegate and Sherman's discontent, it seems that the only ones that were really damaged by all the mouthing off, were the fans.

If you want to offer up 2015-2017's failures to reach the Super Bowl, there are a myriad of alternative explanations that need to be considered, including but not limited to Tom Cable, injuries to cornerstone players, terrible drafting, kicker woes, poor free-agent gambles, and Russell Wilson having bad games.

Now if you want to point out that they were expensive and injury-prone, sure. But then you have to acknowledge that we lost those gambles. Sherm is having a great time in SF, Thomas somewhat less so. I can appreciate that reason more solidly. But the fact remains that we were not going to be a BETTER team because of their departure. If they had to go, we'd be losing something in the bargain.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3sk0qum0 said:
Yea sorry, didn't need them here.

Yea, they have talent, that's great. But we have good team chemistry. They couldn't get over the Super Bowl loss, and they couldn't fully accept that this is Russ' team. When I heard Earl talk about Lamar, the first thought that came to my mind is, I've never heard him speak of Russ as enthusiastically. It's the new girlfriend effect.
Wrong.

Earl has mentioned and stated that Russell did save them in previous games and that he put them on “his back.”

Earl likes Russell a lot more than Sherm did.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
It is always better to let go of players a year or two earlier than later.

It was very apparent Carroll wanted to get rid of older players that could not get over the SB loss.

Yes, Sherm and Earl are playing well but Carroll got rid of the “cancers” that would prevent the team from growing. It had to be done even if Seattle’s defense is not as good as it once was.

Think of it as an investment. And the Niners defense will only be good for a year or two more, and then it’ll need to be rebuilt around Bosa, alone.

Look at the Rams defense now, it is not as good as it once was.

The same will happen to the Niners.

AgentDib

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":7br0cbob said:
I don't know how you can seriously post something like that. Perhaps the single most defining thing about BB is his penchant for moving on from players early rather than risking keeping them around too long. That's like arguing about lunch and then you voluntarily bringing up Yogi Bear as the ideal candidate to keep your picnic basket safe.

MontanaHawk05":7br0cbob said:
Can anyone offer any evidence that the team was being "destroyed" internally? I've actually never really seen any. It doesn't make much sense to call it "destruction" if it never showed on the field. And it never showed on the field. Earl, Sherman, Bennett - they were all playing elite football right up until the moment they played their last down for the Seahawks. And the defense got worse every time one of them exited.
I assume you've read the infamous SI article? It rings true with the benefit of hindsight IMO.

I would ask the question the other way around. I agree about the on field performance, and would point out that very few people like excellent performing defenders as much as a certain head coach of ours. He gave them all big extensions initially, and KJ/Wagner show that third deals aren't suddenly off the table after Kam. What is his motivation for dismantling the defense unless he thought that the internal strife was negatively outweighing having a great defense? I don't think the alternatives pass Occam's Razor.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2w8w0fkk said:
Yea sorry, didn't need them here.

Yea, they have talent, that's great. But we have good team chemistry. They couldn't get over the Super Bowl loss, and they couldn't fully accept that this is Russ' team. When I heard Earl talk about Lamar, the first thought that came to my mind is, I've never heard him speak of Russ as enthusiastically. It's the new girlfriend effect.

Apparently, team chemistry doesn't translate to effectiveness on defense.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3elk3blc said:
scutterhawk":3elk3blc said:

What BILL would have done???? You're honestly making a comparison with the guy who is arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game???

Even with that, note that shedding stars like Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon quickly indicates that BILL does not always get more out of his talent -- and is willing to cut ties with hugely talented players who have personal issues that get in the way of winning.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1cpk1x3g said:

Dude, Pete is the CEO here. He built this organization and has near-complete autonomy. So he gets the credit and the blame for everything -- including the offense.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Tusc2000":23yrgvux said:
Scorpion05":23yrgvux said:

Dude, Pete is the CEO here. He built this organization and has near-complete autonomy. So he gets the credit and the blame for everything -- including the offense.

BS. There is no reason not to spread both credit and blame around. We are 7-2 and everyone is crediting Wilson. It's only when there's a problem people like to blame Pete.

No one is crediting Pete for our offence in 2019. Everyone is blaming him for the offense in 2016-2018.

Fact is, there are any number reasons for why things go both right and wrong and a lot of them are merely good fortune rather than brilliant or stupid decisions. In the end, good coaches favourably shift your odds but they don't absolutely control anything.

Bill Belichek has not won every SB since entering the league even though he is quite clearly the best coach of all time and its not even close. Because you can't control everything and there are 31 other teams trying to do the same thing and thwart you at every turn.

jeremiah

Reaction score
I enjoyed the Legion of Boom, but the defense was just not that good. They blew a Super Bowl game against the Patriots, case closed. All they had to do was close out a team that was not even that good, the worst Patriot team to hold a trophy. Even the Giants could play defense for 60 minutes, while supporting "the mediocre Manning. Seattle could not..

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
jeremiah,

That is an interesting take. Completely confused and utterly incorrect on every level, but interesting.

First, that loss was 100% on Russell Wilson. You know that right?

Teams cannot 'come from behind' if you are scoring too.

And he was the one that threw the interception.

Second, a good part of the LOB was injured in that game. They still played.

Third, in one of Pete's more baffling and stupid decisions ever - we didn't play our best slot corner in the game so we could suit up a near rookie that was also injured. The sheer stupidity of that decision rivaled not giving Marshawn the ball at the goalline.

BTW the LOB was one of the greatest defenses on one of the greatest secondaries ever. If not THE greatest secondary ever. The 1st SB year, they converted one in four opposing offensive possessions into a turnover. That is unparalleled.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As much as Sherman and Earl are playing well now, there's no way either could still exist on this team with the turnover of most of their friends leaving and all the scar tissue between them and Pete, Russell, etc.

I don't see any scenario where either player wouldn't continue to be a disruption with how Pete runs things.

jeremiah

Reaction score
The year after the SB win, they lost a lead in the Super Bowl when all they needed to do was be the best. They choked like the Sonics v Denver. Yes RW shouldn't have thrown the ball, but we should have not allowed NE back in the game. Where is the pride in their excellence there? After the SB loss, did you see Sherman or Earl taking the blame like players of pride do? NO! Blamed everyone but themselves. They hastened the end of what was shaping up to be truly great, by the sheer force of ego.

John63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3hjfu0sl said:
jeremiah,

That is an interesting take. Completely confused and utterly incorrect on every level, but interesting.

First, that loss was 100% on Russell Wilson. You know that right?

Teams cannot 'come from behind' if you are scoring too.

And he was the one that threw the interception.

Second, a good part of the LOB was injured in that game. They still played.

Third, in one of Pete's more baffling and stupid decisions ever - we didn't play our best slot corner in the game so we could suit up a near rookie that was also injured. The sheer stupidity of that decision rivaled not giving Marshawn the ball at the goalline.

BTW the LOB was one of the greatest defenses on one of the greatest secondaries ever. If not THE greatest secondary ever. The 1st SB year, they converted one in four opposing offensive possessions into a turnover. That is unparalleled.

This is a short cited and very silly post. 1 play does not win or loos ea gain. You have a supposed top defense that can't hold a 10 point lead with 9 minutes to go, but you want to blame 1 play.

Let me help you 10 point lead with 9 minutes to go, Ne scored on a pass
3 point lead with 6 minutes to go. scored on a pass, this took 2 minutes

So let snot pretend that the defense was blameless they were not and to think otherwise is clueless.

While you are busy trying to blame the whole thing on Wilson let me remind you, Wilson was the reason we had the 10 point lead and even had a shot at the end.

Did I have a problem throwing the end no, did I like that specific play NO.

You want to say he was the one that threw the ball, well the defense was the one that gave up a 10 point lead with 9 minutes to go.

Lynch should have made it the first run. I can go on and on there is blame around but to put it on 1 play is just plain stupid and shows a lack of knowledge of football.

As to injuries that is part of the game either man up or don't play. Posts like this show some really don't understand football at all.

So again lets not pretend like that 1 play was why we lost, there is blame around for that loss.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1uvvnc8f said:
What BILL would have done???? You're honestly making a comparison with the guy who is arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game???

Even with that, note that shedding stars like Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon quickly indicates that BILL does not always get more out of his talent -- and is willing to cut ties with hugely talented players who have personal issues that get in the way of winning.

Talking about Josh Gordon, who Pete just recently nabbed up, isnt a ringing endorsement for your argument. As for Brown, he dug himself a grave in this league that is so deep full of non football related incidents, that he'll never dig himself out of. Bill cut bait once he knew what Antonio was accused of, not because of talent or attitude issues.