We need one of the Thomas fellas from Denver

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
12thbrah":2bjdwchh said:
both would be too expensive. I like the idea of trying to develop who we have now. Hopefully Paul Rich will be ready for training camp.

He's looked too fragile...we'll see.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
It's always the same old options...

1) "Sign expensive or soon-to-be-franchised-tagged guy!"
2) "Lets just develop our guys!"
3) "Lets use a high draft pick on collegiate superstar!"
4) "Trade many picks for the already elite guy!"
5) "Trade a little for the might-be-suspended-for-a-year guy!"
6) "Sign aging superstar on the cheap for a run at a ring!"

What I want is more of the only archetype we seem to get and be able to keep. I want another efficient, overachieving UDFA with a collosal chip on his shoulder which cannot and will not be appeased. I want the guy doing voice-overs for the NFL.com highlight videos to struggle and struggle mightily to find any sort of meaningful information on this individual who is carrying our passing offense in the clutch. I want he who is no one and I want him to truly be someone.

original poster

Reaction score
God I'd love it if we could sign Cobb.

If Lynch doesn't return and we go with 'developing' our current WR's next season is as good as done.

I don't trust Kearse one bit, Baldwin can do it and potentially so can Matthews. But that isn't enough. If Lynch went we absolutely 100% need a legit and proven receiver who can take over Lynch's place as the best option on offense.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zero chance we get D Thomas. He's going to get big money. He is already a top 5 WR and is fairly young. Someone will overpay for him and it likely won't be us.

Julius....maybe. I still think he will warrant fairly big money. I wouldn't mind Charles Clay, he has huge upside and could put up big numbers in the right system, and we could probably get him at a very reasonable price.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
1. We can get what we need in the draft

2. Would rather have crabtree than j Thomas.

gulliver

Reaction score
Harvin is a toxic, selfish ass but I think we win XLIX if he's still on the team.

Not because he actually does anything, but because you have to commit resources to stopping him.

It's easy to stack the box and try stopping Marshawn. Gets a little tougher to stop him AND the thread of the read option keeper. When we're backing you out of the box throwing deep balls to ADB and Kearse, it gets even more difficult. And when you have to commit resources to stopping stretch plays PLUS all the types of plays above, sooner or later you're going to break.

Harvin wasn't the only factor in the two games, but I think you got a good sampler of what a difference it makes defensively for the other team in GB I vs GB II.

niveky

Reaction score
gulliver":38blzib3 said:
Harvin is a toxic, selfish ass but I think we win XLIX if he's still on the team.

Not because he actually does anything, but because you have to commit resources to stopping him.

It's easy to stack the box and try stopping Marshawn. Gets a little tougher to stop him AND the thread of the read option keeper. When we're backing you out of the box throwing deep balls to ADB and Kearse, it gets even more difficult. And when you have to commit resources to stopping stretch plays PLUS all the types of plays above, sooner or later you're going to break.

Harvin wasn't the only factor in the two games, but I think you got a good sampler of what a difference it makes defensively for the other team in GB I vs GB II.

if they wouldn't have gotten rid of harvin they probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs, much less the superbowl. Getting rid of him allowed a major distraction to be expunged and let the team get back to what they are. The offense wasn't trying to cater to his diva attitude and able to just put their nose down and do what it does.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
niveky":hvtkfm5k said:
gulliver":hvtkfm5k said:

if they wouldn't have gotten rid of harvin they probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs, much less the superbowl. Getting rid of him allowed a major distraction to be expunged and let the team get back to what they are. The offense wasn't trying to cater to his diva attitude and able to just put their nose down and do what it does.

Yeah, I won't slurp on the Harvin cone anymore, but if you take that post and replace his name with a WR that demands attention, minus the anger management issues, I see the point of that post.

Never say never, but I sincerely doubt we find a personality quite so unmanageable...especially with Pete at the helm.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
DavidSeven":z3iym267 said:
Coming out of that system, those guys' values are going to extremely over-inflated. The key is to find hidden value somewhere, as Denver did Emmanuel Sanders (who was previously Pittsburgh's version of Doug Baldwin) and Detroit did with Golden Tate. The mistake would be to pay an extreme premium for good players who put up gaudy system numbers, e.g. Housh, Branch.
Agreed.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3lsygihl said:
DavidSeven":3lsygihl said:
Coming out of that system, those guys' values are going to extremely over-inflated. The key is to find hidden value somewhere, as Denver did Emmanuel Sanders (who was previously Pittsburgh's version of Doug Baldwin) and Detroit did with Golden Tate. The mistake would be to pay an extreme premium for good players who put up gaudy system numbers, e.g. Housh, Branch.
Agreed.

Just stay away from Julian Edelman please.
http://nesn.com/2015/02/julian-edelmans ... verlooked/

marko358

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":3gtnz7o4 said:
bjornanderson21":3gtnz7o4 said:
DavidSeven":3gtnz7o4 said:
Agreed.

Just stay away from Julian Edelman please.
http://nesn.com/2015/02/julian-edelmans ... verlooked/
Dude is a concussion away from being a vegetable.

cacksman

Reaction score
I do NOT want Julius. He will be an average player away from Peyton and the pass happy offense in Denver.

Someone like Vincent Jackson, Larry Fitzgerald,, or another tall pass catcher that is not trying to break the bank but would like a chance to play deep into January and get a chance at a ring.

McGruff

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3ntmhg0l said:
What is Malcolm Butler's contract status?

Rookie UDFA, which means he's under contract for 2 more years and club control for 3.

Latest posts