Weekly fire Bevell Wishful thinking

Fudwamper

Reaction score
I hope someone can prove me wrong. I FELT during the game that there was zero quick rhythm/timing throws. Was it how the rams were playing us with the OLB's? I felt that Bevel did not change game plans when attacking the safeties deep was not working.

Seymour

Reaction score
Fudwamper":3b9p4ncg said:
I hope someone can prove me wrong. I FELT during the game that there was zero quick rhythm/timing throws. Was it how the rams were playing us with the OLB's? I felt that Bevel did not change game plans when attacking the safeties deep was not working.

Makes sense. "It's not about them, it's about us." According to Pete that is. Paradigms like that, keep us stuck in yesterday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":2xj2h00d said:
I like how the narrative by some is the zero first downs in the 4th quarter was all part of the plan.

Not part of the plan, but definitely some SUPER conservative protect from turnovers type of playcalling out of Pete and Bevell.

When Pete starts using pronouns like "We" after games when talking about the defense? That tells you his mentality of get a lead late, play conservative and trust your D to hold the lead is never going to change.

Drives me crazy, but for people thinking it's all on Bevell when we continue to just run the ball into 8-9 boxes and don't take shots downfield? Not true, it's Pete.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
How is this even still a discussion? Bevell is objectively terrible. There's a reason our defensive staff has been picked clean over the years while Bevell has never gotten a second interview from a professional team. The whole league knows the score up here.

Case in point: if Bevell coached on a different team, posting the numbers he's posting here, would you be clamoring for Pete to hire him? Would you even know his name?

Exactly.

If you still support Bevell, you just support anything with a Seahawks logo on it.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3r8s0w9j said:
mistaowen":3r8s0w9j said:
I like how the narrative by some is the zero first downs in the 4th quarter was all part of the plan.

Not part of the plan, but definitely some SUPER conservative protect from turnovers type of playcalling out of Pete and Bevell.

When Pete starts using pronouns like "We" after games when talking about the defense? That tells you his mentality of get a lead late, play conservative and trust your D to hold the lead is never going to change.

Drives me crazy, but for people thinking it's all on Bevell when we continue to just run the ball into 8-9 boxes and don't take shots downfield? Not true, it's Pete.

Agree completely. It's what Pete wants, so he keeps Bevell. This thread should say "fire Pete" and with him the whole coaching staff.

Until PC leaves, I will appreciate the fact that he has helped us to a greater win record than any coach in previous Hawks' history; he's also the one that assembled all this talent with Schneider and has coached it (the D especially) to a level that competes with the best and often brings home a win.

I won't be joining the "fire Pete" bandwagon.

JimmyG

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3rz87fxn said:
How is this even still a discussion? Bevell is objectively terrible. There's a reason our defensive staff has been picked clean over the years while Bevell has never gotten a second interview from a professional team. The whole league knows the score up here.

Case in point: if Bevell coached on a different team, posting the numbers he's posting here, would you be clamoring for Pete to hire him? Would you even know his name?

Exactly.

If you still support Bevell, you just support anything with a Seahawks logo on it.
This is all nonsense. Virtually every fanbase in the NFL hates their offensive coordinator and is convinced he's holding the team back. The only reason he's "objectively terrible" is because this place is a hive mind echo chamber and everybody agrees with each other, reinforcing beliefs like this.

How can you say he is "objectively" bad? Even if our offensive is inefficient, how could you possibly isolate the failure to him? How do you differentiate between playcalling and on-the field execution (quarterback play, porous offensive line, etc). That's just it, you can't, so trotting out lazy narratives like "Bevell is holding us back" is an incredibly weak and anything but "objective".

And no, I'm sorry, but "omg did u see how good wilson did in the 2-minute drill, thats what the offense looks like w/o Bevell!!" is not sound reasoning.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JimmyG":1orhzcd7 said:
This is all nonsense. Virtually every fanbase in the NFL hates their offensive coordinator and is convinced he's holding the team back. The only reason he's "objectively terrible" is because this place is a hive mind echo chamber and everybody agrees with each other, reinforcing beliefs like this.

How can you say he is "objectively" bad? Even if our offensive is inefficient, how could you possibly isolate the failure to him? How do you differentiate between playcalling and on-the field execution (quarterback play, porous offensive line, etc). That's just it, you can't, so trotting out lazy narratives like "Bevell is holding us back" is an incredibly weak and anything but "objective".

And no, I'm sorry, but "omg did u see how good wilson did in the 2-minute drill, thats what the offense looks like w/o Bevell!!" is not sound reasoning.

You must be new here, there is no satiating the Bevell parrots with logic and reason.

The fact is we (Bevell, Pete, Russell) run the same offense as half the teams in the league, including one of the best offenses in the league right now, the Chiefs.

Amazing how awesome your offense looks when you have a great O-line, good QB and dynamic playmakers at the skill positions. Suddenly you're a genius playcaller. Everyone in KC was calling for Reid's head the past 2-3 years. Now they have Hunt and Hill, and they're rolling and Reid and the offense look like geniuses.

potatohead

Reaction score
Why is everyone talking about scoring a TD on the final drive? If I remember correctly there was about 1:10 left and the Rams had one time out, all the Hawks needed was a first down and they could kneel to a win.

The team was extremely lucky to win this game and the offensive play is mind-numbingly bad. You can't rely on five turnovers to win. ET makes an all-world play at the beginning of the game, to eventually save the game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2hgka031 said:
bevellisthedevil":2hgka031 said:
Siouxhawk":2hgka031 said:
Delusional? I think the real head-scratcher is the usual sect of supposed know-it-alls who bellyache right away in the aftermath of a game you could sense us taking control of. And a big game at that. Time after time Bevell called successful plays to move the chains and grind the clock. This while operating behind a line that sometimes looked superb and gave Russ loads of protection, other times inexplicably whiffing on a blitz that left Russ a sitting duck.

Just have to say that the stance of those grumbling like this is hard to take serious anymore.

Yes, and this post is absolutely delusional. The Seahawks offense had a grand total of 0 first downs in the 4th Quarter. When exactly Siouxhawk did you feel like we were taking over the game? Was it when our last 4 drives netted 19 yards and burned 1:25, 1:03, 1:45, and 1:37 off the clock?

What are you going to tell me next? Are you going to tell me that netting 57 feet or 684 inches is better than 19 yards?

19 yards in the 4th Quarter

I never have claimed to know it all. I know that 0 first downs in a quarter when you have 4 drives is ass. I know that time after time the offense can't get out of its own way.
And I know the offense did exactly what Pete wanted it to do on that last possession, which is grind the clock, exhaust their time outs, force them to score a touchdown to win and make them go 75 yards against our signature defense. I rather liked the outcome. We're in first place in the division with a favorable schedule ahead and that's really all that matters.

19 yards and a game winning TD dropped in the end zone. This was not a signature Hawks win. Those were the dismantlings of the 9ers and Saints on national TV. Or even last week.

It’s simply naively stupid to suggest that because the team won the game plan was executed. The ends don’t always justify the means. And in this case there is not an argument to be had.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1idgjnu3 said:
...19 yards and a game winning TD dropped in the end zone. This was not a signature Hawks win. Those were the dismantlings of the 9ers and Saints on national TV. Or even last week.

It’s simply naively stupid to suggest that because the team won the game plan was executed. The ends don’t always justify the means. And in this case there is not an argument to be had.

Well sure it is!
It is a Helen Keller signature win. :irishdrinkers:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":2ostiol6 said:
Bevell is objectively terrible

You probably can't quote a single good reason you think that, except for "the play".

I could. And I still don't think he's the real problem.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The last series of downs before the final FG has me convinced.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":364uz6xe said:
JimmyG":364uz6xe said:

You must be new here, there is no satiating the Bevell parrots with logic and reason.

The fact is we (Bevell, Pete, Russell) run the same offense as half the teams in the league, including one of the best offenses in the league right now, the Chiefs.

Amazing how awesome your offense looks when you have a great O-line, good QB and dynamic playmakers at the skill positions. Suddenly you're a genius playcaller. Everyone in KC was calling for Reid's head the past 2-3 years. Now they have Hunt and Hill, and they're rolling and Reid and the offense look like geniuses.

Tell me that the shovel pass to Kelce being a staple hasn't made you jealous.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2gbtzdtf said:
WindCityHawk":2gbtzdtf said:

You probably can't quote a single good reason you think that, except for "the play".

Maybe you're right. I guess all the "surprise" plays like long bombs on 3rd and 2 are actually really smart. And his refusal to adapt his scheme to his personnel isn't bull-headed stubbornness, but rather some admirable adherence to conviction. And I guess other teams don't even try to hire him away because they're intimidated by his football prowess.

Or (but it can't be this) he's a stubborn old mule who only outsmarts himself and he's only still on the team because of his rapport with Wilson because omg they were both Badger quarterbacks.

But by all means, let's keep banging this drum until this coaching staff dissolves and Bevell gets picked up as a QB coach somewhere and never organizes another offense again, and you and Sioux wonder why, lol.

The dude's a step above Greg Knapp, I'll give him that.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":230t4eiw said:
MontanaHawk05":230t4eiw said:
WindCityHawk":230t4eiw said:

Maybe you're right. I guess all the "surprise" plays like long bombs on 3rd and 2 are actually really smart. And his refusal to adapt his scheme to his personnel isn't bull-headed stubbornness, but rather some admirable adherence to conviction.

I'll give you the long bombs on 3rd and 2. I saw one the other day. But he has backed WAY off those, as well as the sheer quantity of WR screens.

As far as adapting scheme - after the bye in 2015, the Seahawks came out with a pass-first offense with spread concepts that we hadn't run before. Not novel or revolutionary, but functional. It was an attempt to protect Wilson by giving him ways to get rid of the ball quickly. Baldwin had 9 catches that first game. Graham had 3 big catches the following game before he got hurt. So in the department of adaptation, Bevell has a pass grade fro me.

Problem is, Pete won't let him run it in the first half. This last Rams game was a nice exception and I think it caught Wade Phillips off guard that we ran such a drive that early.

Ugh. I sound like a Bevell apologist now. Can we both agree, WindCityHawk, to stay away from our respective extremes so that neither of us gets shoved towards either cliff? :D

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":12z2ntim said:
Sgt. Largent":12z2ntim said:
JimmyG":12z2ntim said:

Yes to Kelce, the most uniquely dynamic TE in the entire league. You think Jimmy or Willson could pull off that play? I don't.

That's my point, talent matters, and for Bevell's ENTIRE stint in Seattle he hasn't had much to work with.

- 40% of the cap space for the offense
- conservative ball control run first coach dictating scheme
- small slight WR corp
- No Lynch for three years
- worst O-line in the league for what now 3 years running?

I'm frustrated and tried with this offense too, it SHOULD be better. But blaming the O-coordinator is bush league fans picking the low hanging fruit blame. That's what every fan base does, and it's just not correct.

We have a systemic problem with the entire offensive philosophy. Pete refuses to change how he wants the offense to operate. He wants it to be like it was with Lynch and a good O-line in 2012-2013, ball control, punishing, physical shorten the game with 4-5 explosive plays type of offense............and it's JUST.NOT.WORKING.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
JimmyG":15l6qqjp said:
WindCityHawk":15l6qqjp said:

Exactly.

One helluva post JimmyG! You bring some sound wisdom to this board.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":362bq8hx said:
mrt144":362bq8hx said:
Sgt. Largent":362bq8hx said:
JimmyG":362bq8hx said:

Yes to Kelce, the most uniquely dynamic TE in the entire league. You think Jimmy or Willson could pull off that play? I don't.

That's my point, talent matters, and for Bevell's ENTIRE stint in Seattle he hasn't had much to work with.

- 40% of the cap space for the offense
- conservative ball control run first coach dictating scheme
- small slight WR corp
- No Lynch for three years
- worst O-line in the league for what now 3 years running?

I'm frustrated and tried with this offense too, it SHOULD be better. But blaming the O-coordinator is bush league fans picking the low hanging fruit blame. That's what every fan base does, and it's just not correct.

We have a systemic problem with the entire offensive philosophy. Pete refuses to change how he wants the offense to operate. He wants it to be like it was with Lynch and a good O-line in 2012-2013, ball control, punishing, physical shorten the game with 4-5 explosive plays type of offense............and it's JUST.NOT.WORKING.

This is the essence of the entire issue. It's far past the point of a Bevell matter--it is on Carroll now. He's almost obsessed with his idea of how an offense should operate, but he's still stuck with a 2013 mindset and reality no longer supports formula.

Ray Roberts was on Brock and Salk this morning talking about how the personnel we have perform substanially better in up tempo, spread formations. Splitting Graham wide, looking for 1 on 1 matchups and most importantly operating quicker because Wilson gets in a rhythm and plays at a high level in a short, quick passing attack. So it's not just eager fans observing serious flaws with Pete's offensive ideology.

Latest posts