Weekly fire Bevell Wishful thinking

Ozzy

Reaction score
The first thing I thought of was trying to slow down Donald but at what point when he is blowing up the running back in the backfield to abandon and move on to plan B? We couldn't run the ball all game. To be fair our run blocking, which Cable has hand picked guys on their ability to run block strangely, might not of been able to create anything regardless. Although the right side seemed to be able to have some success the past couple of weeks when given the chance. But multiple people pointed it out with film breakdown. I don't think I need to find the sources for you but if you can't find them let me know and I'll share them.

So in your expert opinion Sun Tzu what do you think it is? You think its more reasonable to assume Russ 5 years in can't read a defense or that the team doesn't trust him? I think its a little more reasonable to assume that Bevell isn't perfect and it definitely part of the problem and its easy to see to anyone looking at it objectively. I've already laid out my argument why I think he's a problem, maybe you can lay out your case why he's not.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seymour":2bdpi4v5 said:
I've said several times Cable is the larger problem, and Bevell (although poor at his job), could get the job done with an oline.
Evidence supporting your statement is severely lacking. If you disagree, then present it. I guess it also depends on what you mean by "could get the job done," though. They are both big problems, but we'd see more offensive success getting rid of Bevell than by getting rid of Cable, IMO.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I understand our run production was paltry, but it did set up the pass for key first downs and it helped grind the clock. If our OLine can make improvements in this realm like they did for the pass game, we will really be dynamic.

The article is a bye week article that really could have been written the last 3 seasons. I'm hoping Bev is back with us, but I really wouldn't be surprised if a head gig is offered to him.

adeltaY

Reaction score
At this point the offense just sucks and they should do something to fix it. If the offense sucks like 2016, but with a healthy Wilson, for the entire 2017 season, something has to change.

Bengals fired Zampese and their offense, with a crap OL, worse QB than we have, AJ Green, and some other nominal WRs, has gotten much better. They beat the Bills who had the #1 scoring D up to that point. I know it's one example, but man. Also, the Bills fired Greg Roman last year and replaced him with Anthony Lynn and their offense was much improved. Then again, the Ravens tried it last year and they still sucked. Although they did the same in 2012 and won the SB. Who knows? McVay had a whole offseason and he completely turned the Rams offense around, barring last game.

All I'm saying is that if this offense isn't figured out by playoff time and costs us in the postseason, we need to start fresh. I hope Pete will swing the hammer if it comes to it. Giving a new guy the proper amount of time in the offseason to install his new system could work wonders.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2xiwfp8i said:
Ugh. I sound like a Bevell apologist now. Can we both agree, WindCityHawk, to stay away from our respective extremes so that neither of us gets shoved towards either cliff? :D

Haha, I can agree to that, yeah. And you're right, he has mostly abandoned the screens, thank God.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Bevell is like the 'good son' whose philosophy is as conservative as Pete's. Sometimes group think is a detriment if all the coaches think alike.
It would be refreshing to have an OC who is good enough to challenge Pete's defense and to make Pete excited about the offense.

Seymour

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3u2fq6rl said:
Seymour":3u2fq6rl said:
I've said several times Cable is the larger problem, and Bevell (although poor at his job), could get the job done with an oline.
Evidence supporting your statement is severely lacking. If you disagree, then present it. I guess it also depends on what you mean by "could get the job done," though. They are both big problems, but we'd see more offensive success getting rid of Bevell than by getting rid of Cable, IMO.

It is not that hard to find. Top 10 offense in scoring (26.1 PPG) when they actually had experienced o-linemen. They were highest paid line yet still one of the worst pass blocking lines which is on Cable. The run blocking and game and Wilson allowed the offense to function. Bevell obviously "got the job done" and we ended up winning it all. Yes, he still sucks and we could do better, but there is a bigger anchor on our boat.

Attachments

• 2013-Offense.jpg
    2013-Offense.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 1,568

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1af939t8 said:
It is not that hard to find. Top 10 offense in scoring (26.1 PPG) when they actually had experienced o-linemen. They were highest paid line yet still one of the worst pass blocking lines which is on Cable. The run blocking and game and Wilson allowed the offense to function. Bevell obviously "got the job done" and we ended up winning it all. Yes, he still sucks and we could do better, but there is a bigger anchor on our boat.

Hey Seymour, I'm not sure how NFL stats work for teams; does this only include offensive points scored, or is it actually "all points/game?" While I'm pretty sure they wouldn't include defensive scores, it certainly would skew the results a bit for a ball-hawking D like Seattle's.

chris98251

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1k6t3kld said:
Bevell is like the 'good son' whose philosophy is as conservative as Pete's. Sometimes group think is a detriment if all the coaches think alike.
It would be refreshing to have an OC who is good enough to challenge Pete's defense and to make Pete excited about the offense.

He had one at USC, Norm Chow, who left because of Pete's philosophy.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
austinslater25":37zf5hfe said:
BigMeach":37zf5hfe said:
Can someone please tell me a point in todays game where Bevell called a bad play? Actually since it's such a point of contension I'd expect 10 specific, easy to point out, bad play calls per game.

The only issue I saw today was the offensive execution and RW making some bad throws. While I agree that Bevell iritates the hell out of me sometimes, a lot of people here act like replacing him would suddenly make our offense amazing.

The play calling at the end of the game when you have a chance to finish them was absolutely embarrassing. 2 runs and short throw no where near the end zone. They decided to play it really safe, settle for the field goal and put their defense in a must stop situation. It was a horrible idea that was bailed out by a missed TD from Cupp. I really do think replacing Bevell would instantly breathe life into the offense. Pete is too loyal and stubborn at this point to admit and I love Pete as much as anyone but he dropped the ball and continues to drop the ball here.
Welcome to the dark side. Your membership card is in the mail! 8)

Seymour

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":wshwnvm5 said:
Seymour":wshwnvm5 said:

Hey Seymour, I'm not sure how NFL stats work for teams; does this only include offensive points scored, or is it actually "all points/game?" While I'm pretty sure they wouldn't include defensive scores, it certainly would skew the results a bit for a ball-hawking D like Seattle's.

They sort that out so it is offense only, so it is a good tool for team to team evaluation / comparison purposes. :2thumbs:

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":35citz06 said:
Ad Hawk":35citz06 said:
Seymour":35citz06 said:

They sort that out so it is offense only, so it is a good tool for team to team evaluation / comparison purposes. :2thumbs:

That's what I figured. Thanks for clarifying!