What Bothered You Most About This Loss?

themunn

Reaction score
ivotuk":143bw101 said:
1. Max Unger and Russell Okung's piss poor play. They did not play like Pro Bowlers, they did not even play like veterans. They played like rookies.

2. The stupid penalties by Zach Miller, Bruce Irvin and "The Super Bowl MVP."

3. The poor punting by Jon Ryan.

*Poor punt
Let's not forget his back to back 60+ yarders to get us out of a hole when yet another penalty moved us back, (from our own 15 he punted to the SD 19 and we stopped them at the 25, a 60 yard change in field position) and if our gunners had been just a little better another one of his 60 yard punts could have been downed at the 1.

What frustrated me the most is that Rivers turned 3-8 into a TD, 2-23 into 3-8 into a TD, and 2-20 into a TD (after Irvin gifted them the opportunity).

I can get on board with the defense playing poorly occasionally - everybody is human, but that is the kind of poor that even the Raiders would be disgusted with.

And I'm on board as saying I don't think we neglected Lynch, we were playing from behind against the clock for the majority of the game. EXCEPT on the drive that ended with the 4-2 punt in the 4th quarter. We got the ball with 10 minutes in the quarter and only a 6 point deficit. After we gained the 1st down, Lynch had had 6 carries for 5,4,5,10,5 and 7 yards.

Instead, we attempted 2 passes on 1st and 2nd down that fell incomplete, the false start put us in 3rd and 15.
I am all for the approach of passing on 1st and 2nd down to keep the defense on their heels, even if it ends in 2 incompletions usually. But in this case it was absolutely CLEAR that the heat was playing a factor on our defense, so 2 incompletions stops the clock twice and also leaves us in third and long. When we failed to complete the pass on 1st down, the call should ABSOLUTELY have been a run on 2nd down to try and make it 3rd and short so that we have an open playbook on 3rd down.
IMO we should have recognised that SD couldn't stop the run at all (after all, we scored FIVE rushing TDs against them in preseason and had 243 rushing yards... yes, it's preseason, but they didn't show anything on Sunday either to show they could consistently stop the run, after 3 hours in the heat even the San Diego defense was tiring, despite being on the field a hell of a lot less. We should have run the ball down their throat there, chewed up a bit of clock for ourselves and in all likelihood, would have driven down the field for the score.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
That our "speedy" defenders couldn't catch Rivers. The inabuility to pressure the QB did us in.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Our 3rd down defense was atrocious. I don't remember a worse third down conversion rate by opponents. If we stopped them on a couple of these, we win the game ...
Wasn't meant to be ... let's get it done next time.
Go hawks

grizbob

Reaction score
The bickering and snarling on .net :cry:

Not worried about the team :D

Giblien

Reaction score
The fact that Marshawn only touched the ball six times. I know the jet sweep is cute, and sometimes effective, but Marshawn is our bread and butter. Give him the rock.

RiverDog

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2lzc3hal said:
First off I'm not going to make any excuses about this lost. To be honest I am not even mad. Philip Rivers was just lights out and so was Antonio Gates. We just got outplayed plain and simple.

With that said in terms of how our team performed what bothered you guys the most? For me it was...

1. Pass protection. Not sold on Britt. The right side seems weak. I suspect this is gonna carry on all year.

2. The way our LBs played in coverage. It was unacceptable.

3. We neglected Percy Harvin.

Irvin's late hit. Very stupid. Chuck Knox got so P.O. once, in that very stadium, at a #1 draft pick that committed a PF that led directly to a loss that he cut him the next week. Not advocating that we do that with Irvin, but I was reminded if it last Sunday.

Richard Sherman's coverage. He gave away the inside all day. Not sure what he's doing spinning a 360 when a receiver makes a break towards the sideline, but he played loose across the middle all day. He needs to STFU about teams being afraid to go up against him. He did not look like a shutdown corner last Sunday.

Russell Okung. The guy is a fantastic run blocker, but he's constantly getting beat on the outside edge rush. I expect better out of a Pro Bowl LT.

Most of Sunday's game is on the defense. It is pretty hard for me to be critical of not getting Harvin or Beast more touches when the Chargers never punted until the 4th quarter.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2b0w0v5b said:
Sports Hernia":2b0w0v5b said:
That folks are still dwelling on the game. One crappy game and we suck all the sudden?
It was a craptastic performance on many levels, FLUSH IT, fix it, and move on!
I dwell on wins and losses for opposite reasons though obviously, I don't think it's fair to expect everyone to just forget about a loss. I don't forget about our games for the rest of the week no matter what the outcome was, but that's just me.
Fair enough, My post wasn't really aimed at you though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am mostly bothered that a bunch of candy asses can't just tip their cap and say, good game plan, San Diego. Get you next time.

Out coached.
Out played.

It happens.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":1pz5rxue said:
. Can't blame it on the heat, everyone played in the same conditions.

Irvin's penalty stands out the most. How do you do that at that moment in the game? I would say he wont see the field next week but Smith, Wright and company didn't play much better...

The heat was no factor? BS, the Chargers were wearing their heat reflecting white uni's for a damn good reason.
120 degrees on dark jerseys is a huge heat factor...It's called "Science"

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2d1lfu06 said:
The heat was no factor? BS, the Chargers were wearing their heat reflecting white uni's for a damn good reason.
Science that you are completely ignoring and have no clue about as far as this issue goes, clearly.

Jesus, I need to stop reading these heat-related posts.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Cartire":23xeh8g7 said:
RolandDeschain":23xeh8g7 said:
I changed my mind. What's bothering me the most about our loss is half of our own damned fan base blaming it on heat and being mentally incapable of understanding that the announcers were incorrect morons saying it was 115 degrees on the field because they kept showing a dramatic shot of a thermometer sitting out in direct sunshine.

My biggest complaint is Roland telling everyone who was there how they were feeling while he was up in WA.

You do know how radiant heat and confined space works right? It wasn't triple digits in San Diego. It was inside that stadium where zero shade, 70,000 people and a massive concrete structure held the heat.

This. It was at least 10 degrees cooler outside of the stadium, and even cooler outside of the valley the stadium was sitting in. It may not have been 115, but it was definitely hotter and more humid than wherever the National Weather Service was gathering data.

I don't know when the team came into San Diego, whether the same day or the day before the game, but they should have shown up an extra day or two earlier. It was not an ordinary hot day like they get at VMAC. And it was clearly affecting the Seahawks more than the Chargers. They were all slumped around the swamp coolers on the sideline way more than the Chargers were.

Other than weather related stuff:

-Awesome turnout by 12s. It was like a high school game with home team fans on one side and visiting fans packing in the other.

-Chargers fans were great and really loud. Very impressive performance by a fanbase I assumed was going to be quiet and laid back. The local media and whole area was abuzz the next couple days, proud to have beaten the camps.

-Worst part: Defense not stopping 3rd downs repeatedly. It was too hot for the D to be on the field that long. I think this is where the heat started to matter, in the time of possession.

-2nd worst: Sherman has been nothing but talk so far. 1st game no targets, but 2nd game he was nothing special.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
timmat":svganbgw said:
For me, everything ramps up to the D's inability to help themselves and get off the field on 3rd downs. Our Offense would have put up more points with a few extra possessions.

One great characteristic of last year's deep D line was our ability to get QB pressure and stuff the run with just the front 4. It remains to be seen if this unit can do the same. Once you begin bringing up linebackers to help, it creates space for short and mid range passing.

Also tip your cap to a game plan by the Chargers that acknowledged and exploited the heat. They ran their offense at an increased tempo that did not allow us to rotate on D. That's tough in any game, but huge in 115 degree field-level temps.

Oh I think we have just seen that they can't get pressure consistantly. Rivers absolutly torched us on passing plays where we only rushed 4. I read he was some thing like 22 of 25 with all 3 td's comming when we rushed only 4. So it would seem that we will need to adjust and compensate.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
That this thread had to come so early in the season!

That we should give SD the props for a well played game!

That we have to realize... we're going to lose a few games!

That Sherman avoided the media after the game!

That we needed this loss to get on track!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We can give San Diego "props" and still address what weakness they exploited can't we?

blkhwk

Reaction score
Lack of use of Lynch.

I know there were not many plays ran, and this may be a reason. When a team is owning the ball, you best not go 3 and out. Go to espn.com and check out the play by play, lots of first down throws!

I think the OC got a little to cute for his own good, with the reverse to Lockette, quick screen to Walters, etc.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3r234kzd said:
The last drive.

We had 89 yards to go to win it, with plenty of time, 2 time outs I think.

And then a big fat :34853_doh:

Nothing in the tank, no magic, no effort.... just crap.
Yeah that was it. We could've won all the way until the end, and then everybody just gave up except Wilson.

daveman918

Reaction score
Only one thing bothered me.

3rd DOWNS on both sides of the ball.

Ok maybe that's two things. :)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":12dbk4ar said:
scutterhawk":12dbk4ar said:
Science that you are completely ignoring and have no clue about as far as this issue goes, clearly.

Jesus, I need to stop reading these heat-related posts.
Again RD, it is "clearly" bullshit stupid to BELIEVE that wearing dark colors in that kind of heat isn't a factor.
I know that in my 67 Years, I've learned enough, and seen guys collapse in that kind of heat, and they weren't even exerting themselves AT ALL.
Just think back a few Years, work on your recollection, they had a player go down in TC in Minn. :roll:

Latest posts