What coach would you rather have then Pete?

knownone

Reaction score
I don't think there is another coach in the league I'd rather have.

If we were talking about who I'd want to replace Pete though and I'll probably get crap for this but... Jim Harbaugh. His philosophy is very similar to Pete's and he knows how to get the most out of his players. The only concern I would have with Harbaugh would be his ability to get along with JS.

Seymour

Reaction score
John63":1vm63l5c said:
Seymour":1vm63l5c said:
John63":1vm63l5c said:
I don't want a new coach, I want him to get an innovative OC and then let him do his thing without micromanaging him.

Since that 2nd part is never going to happen because it doesn't follow his core philosophy, you are stuck with the rest of us....

9415014 300x300

yup but I would argue it more than that. Example

The issue with PC and his offense philosophy
The fact we have an elite QB
The fact that PC just resigned
The fact OUR QB is a FA after this next year
The fact he might be frustrated enough to want out
etc, etc. etc

There is about 4 catch 22s here

Oh and I agree but welcome to off season chat where we take just one at a time to fill in the 8 months. :| :twisted:

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
After tonight if I had to choose one guy I think I might go Dabo. He's got that Pete energy that I love and the guy can coach. Of course there have been more failures coming from college to the NFL than successes but i like that guy.

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
None,

We just had an awesome season.

Don't change anything, just keep on growing together.

And DO NOT judge me. You asked and I answered!

GO Hawks :0190l:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3jxhhmie said:
I don’t want another coach, I want Pete and his staff to make quicker adjustments when Plan A isn’t working.
I think that is a reasonable request. :)

And manage the game better. Would have been nice to have some timeouts after we scored our last TD. Also, our kicker was hurt already this season, I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a backup plan in case our starting kicker got hurt. Maybe have our punter practice all week instead of after the injury.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":mnsv87ub said:
John63":mnsv87ub said:
I don't want a new coach, I want him to get an innovative OC and then let him do his thing without micromanaging him.

Since that 2nd part is never going to happen because it doesn't follow his core philosophy, you are stuck with the rest of us....

9415014 300x300

Neither of you have any idea if that was the case. Evidence from bevell and previous statements from PC suggest otherwise.

Either way, the offense needs more. That is true

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2eou7soi said:
Seymour":2eou7soi said:
John63":2eou7soi said:

9415014 300x300

Neither of you have any idea if that was the case. Evidence from bevell and previous statements from PC suggest otherwise.

Either way, the offense needs more. That is true

I actually know a bunch of things you think you know but do not really even know.

Top that. :snack:

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Literally, no one. Given the ability to have any coach, unemployed or otherwise, I choose Pete.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I've thought about this many times, and every time it just comes back to Carroll.

Just let the old man burn himself out with his run, run, pass, punt gameplan.

There's nothing we can do about it so why not just let him burn himself??!

He only has two years more, right???

Smh.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
It might be an early reaction but at this time I'd be happy with almost any offensive minded coach over Pete's governor approach.
Heck, give me Mike Mcarthy. If we're looking for new blood that knows Wilson then give me friggen Paul (jesus) Chryst.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
HawkGA":gw3o3tvp said:
I wouldn't necessarily want a new coach (wait, is Belichick an option?). My only real critique is that I don't like the notion of playing close and just trying to win it at the end. Winning it at the end is great and all, but playing all 4 quarters is good too. There should be more blowouts than there are (maybe not blowouts, but at least more comfortable wins). But playing it close and hoping to win at the end leaves you exposed to losing at the end, just like Saturday.

^ THIS guy gets it!

Also, I second Paul Chryst.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3rc9u87z said:
getnasty":3rc9u87z said:
There's been a lot of complaining about Pete over the last couple of days. If you were going to swap Pete with any other coach in the league not named Belicheck who would it be? For me I wouldn't trade him for anyone, I know he has his faults but who doesn't? He certainly doesn't have the most exciting brand of football but it's hard to argue with the result.
The thing with Pete is when he came in here, he was pretty innovative. He ran some really interesting defensive formations, and he really did some cool things with our personnel, like throw Red Bryant at DE. People thought he was crazy, but it was a stroke of genius. Carroll saw a trend in the NFL with NFL wide receivers. A lot of them were getting bigger, and taller, and as a result they were bullying smaller DBs. Carroll responded by going after big corners that were considered too large, and stiff to play. Through this we brought in Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman. We also went after a safety that was considered too large, and slow to play safety, and we used him as a linebacker, safety hybrid (Chancellor).

The Seahawks were the trend setters. We went after player types that were considered to be role players, or non-viable in the current NFL. The results were shocking to say the least. We mauled big wide receivers, and our safety, Thomas could cover them with his incredible range. It was virtually impossible to get off of the LOS with Sherman, and Browner playing press. The next thing the 'Hawks did was use under-sized tweener DE's like Clemons, and turn them into upright pass rushers like in a 3-4 defense in passing situations. Really interesting stuff was going on here during 2010-2013.

Unfortunately, with success comes recognition. Our staff got poached, and people understood the brilliance of Pete Carroll's scheme. All of the sudden the big corner back came in vogue, and all of the sudden there were teams running our schemes. The talent pool to pick from became much smaller due to people trying to copy one of the best defenses the NFL has ever seen. We were no longer the trend setters, we were the norm.

I personally don't think Pete Carroll has another championship in him. We're going to be competing for the wildcard spot from here on out. I believe people refer to this as "Marty ball". Our offensive scheme is broken, and incapable of adapting to situations, and our defense is not as strong as it once was, which is what you would expect when the pool of talent becomes smaller. The types of players that went overlooked are now the norm. In the NFL it is adapt or die, and I think Pete Carroll is incapable of doing so. He lives and dies by his philosophy, and as a result I think we can expect some very stale football, especially when Russell Wilson is taking up a huge portion of the cap.

I don't think Carroll is ever going to be a bad enough coach to be outright fired, but it definitely seems like the league has caught up with him, and passed him by. 9-7, to 10-6 is going to be our new norm. Carroll now reminds me of the 2006, and 2007 Holmgren. A coach that was once at the cutting edge no longer knew how to adapt to a rapidly changing league. Sure, Holmgren could still get us to the playoffs, but that is as far as he could take us. I think Carroll is firmly in this boat at the moment. Still a good coach, but is unable to evolve, and adapt to overcome. He still will bring the Seahawks winning seasons, but I think competing for the championship is now out of the question.

Nailed it.
And, I'll take Payton. He's still young, his players like him and he is the best play caller in the league right now. He knows how to use a "short" QB too. :177692:

Seymour

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1x39yhrf said:
Harbaugh...Jim??? :stirthepot:

Brother John possibly....but hairbag himself?? NOT!!! :141847_bnono:

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
getnasty":28aluxv0 said:
After tonight if I had to choose one guy I think I might go Dabo. He's got that Pete energy that I love and the guy can coach. Of course there have been more failures coming from college to the NFL than successes but i like that guy.

I'm awfully curious how he would do in the NFL. The best motivator out there, smart, ingenuitive and he is indeed similar to Pete in vigor.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I believe an offensive head coach would come in, and invest much of the salary cap on the O-line, a big name RB or receiver, etc. And we would have an explosive offense. We would have indisputable Pro-Bowlers all over the offense. People would finally realize Russ can work in a pass first offense with a coach that doesn’t overly focus on ball control

However, that wouldn’t win us a SB. I believe in defense. More importantly, I believe in investing in the trenches, like the Eagles did. I also believe a run first approach is the way to go for ANY team, even explosive offenses like the Rams or Chiefs. I just wish we had more explosiveness and adaptability. The one thing any successful person, like Carroll struggles with is not living in the past. Prime Beast Mode isn’t walking through that door. Our hall of fame talent on defense will not be recreated. Unfortunately I think Pete is trying to recreate that success and that’s unfortunate. Great dynasties make adjustments and each winning team is just a little bit different from the one before. I hope Pete invests a little more in the offense this offseason, and focus on coaching up young players. Invest in Russ, get a pass rusher, and get a really good safety to replace Earl Thomas

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
2_0_6":1ayr83ti said:
Nobody who's available.. The current pool of coaches looking for jobs is crap.

If we are talking about currently employed coaches, McVay or Tomlin.

Tomlin? Good Lord Man.