What if Geno is solid?

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
You know the other thing I have thought about several times this year, why are the audibles similar to what have been in years past. I thought Russ had the whole playbook available. Is it that he sticks with what he is comfortable with? If so, do his tendencies showcase a pattern that opposing defenses recognize? Could be partially why 3rd is so hard to convert.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":3td4waig said:
John63":3td4waig said:
chris98251":3td4waig said:
John63":3td4waig said:
Again not the point. Again some in here have said that Wilson does not throw short or hit the outlet. Both are false. Some I here have said based on those few possessions by geno that the offense might work better under geno as he will actually in it. Ie throw short and take the check down. However as the charts clearly show Wilson is taking short and check downs. They have also said Wilson misses alot of open short and check down. First all qbs miss.open people including geno in that game.

The point is if there is enough based on those drives for people to say the offense will work better, then there is enough to compare and that comparison proves that thought to be false.

Quit ignoring the facts and changing the narrative every time you are proven wrong or the numbers don't align to what BS your trying to sell, snake oil salesman type.

Ahh more deflection. So u are accusing me of doing what u do. Got it. Be blissful.

LOL again no answers, blame others for calling you on $h!t. This is a pathetic example of a lip lock regardless of circumstances and evidence otherwise.

You have yet to answer any questions in direct response to your sold called statistics.

Again unsay nothing and ignore the facts. Fyi I already answered it ignoring it does not change the fact I did and proved my point. Be blissful

John63

Reaction score
keasley45":1y97qj48 said:
John63":1y97qj48 said:
notyou":1y97qj48 said:
Russ had 8 possessions and Geno had 4. Russ map have thrown the same or more short to intermediate passes, but it was during 8 possessions. Geno did almost as much as Russ with 4 possessions. That would most likely mean Geno was more effective at sustaining drives.

Again not the point. Again some in here have said that Wilson does not throw short or hit the outlet. Both are false. Some I here have said based on those few possessions by geno that the offense might work better under geno as he will actually in it. Ie throw short and take the check down. However as the charts clearly show Wilson is taking short and check downs. They have also said Wilson misses alot of open short and check down. First all qbs miss.open people including geno in that game.

The point is if there is enough based on those drives for people to say the offense will work better, then there is enough to compare and that comparison proves that thought to be false.

You keep saying folks here say he can't or won't. Of course he is 'capable' of throwing the ball over the middle or short. The issue is that if it's short, it's often an outlet. And if it's across the middle, it's rare and doesn't typically become a regular part of the arsenal. In other words, the short or intermediate middle game (especially closely covered timing routes ) are not a forte of his, nor do they occur in the regular flow of a game script. He regularly foregoes these routes for the long ball or sideline routes, even when they are there.

And you keep referencing play charts that show blue arcs going into the short and middle zone, but wasn't there another such series of charts that compared Stafford running plays in this offense vs Russ and the same ? And wasn't the entire point of that comparison (I think it was linked from an outside site) to show that our qb utilizes the middle zones far less frequently than theirs in a similar system?

So the speculation is as to why he WONT, AND whether its because he CANT see the routes, feel them or trust the separation he sees to hit these routes regularly.

And its entirely fair to argue that maybe he doesn't do these things now because he came up in a system where those plays were discouraged. But there aren't any handcuffs on now. he has his OC now, can call what he wants, and still chooses by a wide margin to look longer when he has designed, attacking (ie not outlet) routes to throw to.

And the charts clearly show he is.

LTH

Reaction score
keasley45":3w4rg3pz said:
John63":3w4rg3pz said:
notyou":3w4rg3pz said:
Russ had 8 possessions and Geno had 4. Russ map have thrown the same or more short to intermediate passes, but it was during 8 possessions. Geno did almost as much as Russ with 4 possessions. That would most likely mean Geno was more effective at sustaining drives.

You keep saying folks here say he can't or won't. Of course he is 'capable' of throwing the ball over the middle or short. The issue is that if it's short, it's often an outlet. And if it's across the middle, it's rare and doesn't typically become a regular part of the arsenal. In other words, the short or intermediate middle game (especially closely covered timing routes ) are not a forte of his, nor do they occur in the regular flow of a game script. He regularly foregoes these routes for the long ball or sideline routes, even when they are there.

And you keep referencing play charts that show blue arcs going into the short and middle zone, but wasn't there another such series of charts that compared Stafford running plays in this offense vs Russ and the same ? And wasn't the entire point of that comparison (I think it was linked from an outside site) to show that our qb utilizes the middle zones far less frequently than theirs in a similar system?

So the speculation is as to why he WONT, AND whether its because he CANT see the routes, feel them or trust the separation he sees to hit these routes regularly.

And its entirely fair to argue that maybe he doesn't do these things now because he came up in a system where those plays were discouraged. But there aren't any handcuffs on now. he has his OC now, can call what he wants, and still chooses by a wide margin to look longer when he has designed, attacking (ie not outlet) routes to throw to.

I think This is a completely reasonable line of thinking... but consider this Is it possible that Russ ambition to be great and make the big play is clouding his judgement when he should be throwing the check down. maybe at this point we would not be 2-3 if he would have thrown the check down instead of trying to hit the big play. Now I'm not downing him for wanting to be great, when he hits the big play he is a hero when he doesn't not so much, my question is, where is the balance?

When I look at Geno I see Carroll's prototypical guy who has the huge chip on his shoulder... He has something to prove he is hungry and he is willing to do what ever it takes to prove that ala Richard Sherman Kam Chancelor etc... these types of guys are EXACTLY what Carroll likes and I don't think for a second that Carroll is NOT going to take full and complete advantage of that line of thinking.

So what does that do to the mix? Geno has proved vs the Rams that he has command over the O... You don't make a 98 yard drive vs the Rams D unless you have it going...you just don't they are to good... now he clearly has to prove it that goes with out saying but if he does prove it your assertion that it brings a different dynamic in to play is right on IMO..

If Geno tears it up its going to answer that question about Wilson and then Wilson is going to have to take a deep look about his play... its going to give the Seahawks more momentum in contract negotiations... Geno doesn't have to be as spectacular as Wilson he just has to be good enough to win...that's a lot less pressure than Wilson puts on himself to be the greatest QB in NFL history... What's harder?

Now Wilson has to respond... this is the value of competition

LTH

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Geno Smith has 30 NFL games with a good number of snaps/attempts. He threw more TDs than INTs in seven of these.

Dude has a sub-60% completion percentage, a TD/INT ratio under 1, 6.8 YPA, and 73.0 career QB rating.

A "what if" is fun and all, and anything is possible, but you're putting this dude on the same team where the defense just collapses and he has to throw the ball a lot to play catch up? We're probably really not going to like the result here.

LTH

Reaction score
bmorepunk":199gc7qo said:
Geno Smith has 30 NFL games with a good number of snaps/attempts. He threw more TDs than INTs in seven of these.

Dude has a sub-60% completion percentage, a TD/INT ratio under 1, 6.8 YPA, and 73.0 career QB rating.

A "what if" is fun and all, and anything is possible, but you're putting this dude on the same team where the defense just collapses and he has to throw the ball a lot to play catch up? We're probably really not going to like the result here.

Maybe, maybe not

There is a different dynamics here. first of all Wilson is out of the picture... Now its SW and Geno. if they start putting together long sustained drives, eating up the clock that gives the D a chance to rest because typically this year TOP is so lopsided the D doesn't have a chance to rest or adjust.. Not sure how much of a factor this is going to be but it will be a factor.. it will make the D line more effective to get better pass rush which will help the secondary,, although I think there need to be some scheme adjustments as well...

LTH

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Jim Plunkett, Rich Gannon. Chris Clemons. All three were castoffs, shocking that it happens. Does not happen often, and no one is says Geno is about to walk on water, but to say what Geno can or cannot do is short sighted. We just don’t know.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Don't overlook that Geno had those starting experiences on very bad teams that only got worse after he left. In my view Geno is a very good backup QB and we're lucky to have him. Hopefully he can do just enough over the next month that we are still in the hunt for a wildcard spot when Russ comes back, and if so then he'll have done his job admirably (and then some).

I don't think Geno is franchise QB material. Unless he looks VERY good, then my takeaway from him playing well will more likely be that we're trying to put a round peg into a square hole with Russ and the short passing game.

At that point I think we'd either want to incorporate more of the read option/deep shot stuff Russ was excelling at with Bevell or test out the trade market and see if we could get a QB more suited towards Waldron. The danger with replacing QBs is that we really don't know yet if Waldron is going to be any good as a coordinator and that's putting a lot of eggs into a basket which could have holes in it.

toffee

Reaction score
nwHawk":1brpj7a7 said:
Jim Plunkett, Rich Gannon. Chris Clemons. All three were castoffs, shocking that it happens. Does not happen often, and no one is says Geno is about to walk on water, but to say what Geno can or cannot do is short sighted. We just don’t know.

Solid point about those three QBs, but then we are on dot net, where Ole Pete's determine to destroy his QBs :)

toffee

Reaction score
bmorepunk":192ouht0 said:

We will know in the next couple three games, opponents will watch his films and prep to explore his weaknesses. But hey, I am all for a surprise, wouldn't mind a QB controversy.

LTH

Reaction score
toffee":1zil5bjl said:
bmorepunk":1zil5bjl said:

We will know in the next couple three games, opponents will watch his films and prep to explore his weaknesses. But hey, I am all for a surprise, wouldn't mind a QB controversy.

I cant see a scenario in which at this point is a bad thing... a bit of competition might be the thing that saves the season.. Russ responds when he is backed into a corner and it might be the thing that propells him into greatness..

LTH

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think Geno is a good serviceable, possibly, transitional QB until the Seahawks have their next young star QB.

I hope he plays well. He seems like a likeable guy.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
He's already solid. What if he balls out is the question. I can see Pete pumping the brakes on a 4 week Wilson return.

LTH

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":3nqx8oyo said:
He's already solid. What if he balls out is the question. I can see Pete pumping the brakes on a 4 week Wilson return.

And THAT would be a VERY interesting scenario... If that happened what would Wilson's reaction be? If Geno was winning why risk bring Wilson back early that makes since from the Seahawks perspective...

LTH

keasley45

Reaction score
LTH":3exinakv said:
toffee":3exinakv said:
bmorepunk":3exinakv said:

I cant see a scenario in which at this point is a bad thing... a bit of competition might be the thing that saves the season.. Russ responds when he is backed into a corner and it might be the thing that propells him into greatness..

LTH

Exactly. If he balls out, we win. Then the question becomes whether John and Pete (assuming the spark Geno might bring on offense also ignites the D - hopeless optimism ) see the momentum as something that brings us closer to a Lombardi with a not flashy, but 'game manager with arm talent' qb, than with an improvisational genius in RW. If Geno holds it together, I think they swap Wilson and his salary for some draft picks, a player, and roll into 2022 reloaded. Geno embodies the potential for the type of qb the philosophy of this entire team was built on. Methodical, accurate, can toss the long ball, and mobile enough to escape. I think it's why the dude is still on the roster. Pete sees the hawks past the age of Wilson.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
keasley45":sfj2ybe1 said:
Pete sees the hawks past the age of Wilson.

Thats scary. Funny how some fans are on the keep Pete and get rid of Wilson bandwagon when its the exact opposite.

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":300tzvpg said:
keasley45":300tzvpg said:
Pete sees the hawks past the age of Wilson.

Thats scary. Funny how some fans are on the keep Pete and get rid of Wilson bandwagon when its the exact opposite.

Its really no different than fans that are on the get rid of Pete at all costs even if it destroys the whole organization bandwagon... its just an opinion...

but just for a second if we could get rid of all the indifference and let me ask you a question..

Do you think Geno has a legit chance of winning some games here got 3 games that are winnable do you think he can play well enough to pull this off?

LTH

hawks85

Reaction score
John63":15g7mq5a said:
notyou":15g7mq5a said:

Not the point? That's exactly the point, what are you talking about. Wilson can't pick apart shit. Smith came in picked apart that defense and scored a TD. Wilson's problem is he trying to be something he's not. Sorry to all Wilson dick riders, but dude is overrated. Take that deep ball away and you have a below average QB. Wilson's to short to run a west coast offense, He's to short to play QB in general.

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
If Geno can play then trade Russell for help
It’s not like Russell can win with this group