What needs to be done to finish the D reboot?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Okay, we've got a couple pieces. We need a few pieces.

Someone who's a bit smarter at FA and the Draft - please enlighten me -

With who's left in FA and the 1,459 different mock draft scenarios - exactly what do JS and PC need to do to finish the D reboot?

I'm concerned that they are pretty much out of cap, and there's still a bunch to do. I REALLY hope that we don't get a 1/2 reboot here. That would be frustrating after last season. I mean you can find cap for a big splashy signing - but with all the needs and paying the draft class - are we out of gas already?

Anyone who can see the bigger picture accurately?

renofox

Reaction score
Seahawks low on cap and still need, at minimum:

NT
NT*
DE
DE*
EDGE
ILB
OC*
OG*
RB*
RB*
WR*
LS

* - rotational/backup

Need 5 starters and 7 r/b players for 12 total - they have 10 draft picks.

Looks to me like they may be on the way to a draft based on need rather than BPA.

Still time to shore things up but it'll be tricky.

edit: forgot LS

Last edited:

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
They need Jamal Adams to be healthy & be a game wrecker.
They need to draft a bunch of defensive players that fit into their front 7 & contribute.
They need a RB or 2 either thru the draft or FA. Maybe go the UDFA route.
They need a couple big boys for the OL on the cheap. DJ Fluker anyone?
They might need a WR if Eskridge can't answer the bell. FA?

bileever

Reaction score
You're right that we're still a few pieces away from rebuilding this thing. We're not going to fix everything in one year--you're just not. The gap between us and the 49ers is way too big. Even if we get lucky in the draft, you can't count on acquiring more than two or three significant players that way. If things fall our way, we'll be somewhat better than last year. But we're not going from last year's roster to a Super Bowl contending one after one year.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
You're right that we're still a few pieces away from rebuilding this thing. We're not going to fix everything in one year--you're just not. The gap between us and the 49ers is way too big. Even if we get lucky in the draft, you can't count on acquiring more than two or three significant players that way. If things fall our way, we'll be somewhat better than last year. But we're not going from last year's roster to a Super Bowl contending one after one year.
You make a point.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Hawks need more linebackers. As in just bodies that play linebacker, they only have 3 on the roster that will be healthy by training camp.

Mick063

Reaction score
Cost cutting measure are likely not complete. They are going to ask a player or two to restructure. Every team does this at this point of the season. Having said that, I don't expect too many more additional contracts at the five-year minimum veteran salary, if at all. I expect most free agents are going to be the young, "kick the tire" types. Players with less than four years in the league that don't come with a heavy veteran escalator clause. Bring them in, have an extended look, and see if they fit. A revolving door phase to fill in special teams and depth. Also, a time to reevaluate the practice squad from 2022 and determine if any are ready to make the jump.

I believe the remainder of the quality upgrades on defense are going to be filled by the rookie class. The team already has money set aside for the rooks. Further, upgrades are subtlety taking place with "addition by subtraction". For example, Collier's rookie deal will be replaced by another rookie deal, and there is a good chance that with respect to "bang for the buck", the team will realize an overall upgrade in collective roster talent...ie losing the Cody Bartons of the world.

A prediction: If Seattle takes a WR at round 4 or higher, Eskridge is on thin ice. He may be anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Cost cutting measure are likely not complete. They are going to ask a player or two to restructure. Every team does this at this point of the season. Having said that, I don't expect too many more additional contracts at the five-year minimum veteran salary, if at all. I expect most free agents are going to be the young, "kick the tire" types. Players with less than four years in the league that don't come with a heavy veteran escalator clause. Bring them in, have an extended look, and see if they fit. A revolving door phase to fill in special teams and depth. Also, a time to reevaluate the practice squad from 2022 and determine if any are ready to make the jump.

I believe the remainder of the quality upgrades on defense are going to be filled by the rookie class. The team already has money set aside for the rooks. Further, upgrades are subtlety taking place with "addition by subtraction". For example, Collier's rookie deal will be replaced by another rookie deal, and there is a good chance that with respect to "bang for the buck", the team will realize an overall upgrade in collective roster talent...ie losing the Cody Bartons of the world.

A prediction: If Seattle takes a WR at round 4 or higher, Eskridge is on thin ice. He may be anyway.
Nice. Thanks for this. Kinda the first year I've even payed attention during FA and in particular the draft...

WarHawks

Reaction score
Great thread. NT, DE, Edge and LB are huge holes to fill. I agree it's not realistic to expect all that to get fixed in one year. We can sure make a big dent in it though, if all goes well. Here's to hope. 200

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
For the Defense, it's looking like they could draft 2-3 Linebackers, 1-2 D-line, and a cornerback would be helpful pieces. 6 Defense, leaves 4 for offense where they need OG, WR, RB.

Hopefully they can trade down that #5 overall and add a few picks. I think they should get the best OG prospect and a top LB.

Even though I don't list TE, I want Darnell Washington. Guy is a beast and extra O-lineman.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I agree with Bileever above. You can't fix this entire defense in 1 season. If they hit on 2-3 DL that are starter worthy or better and a LB or secondary member in the draft, they will be rounding into top form in a year or two and that is when the chance to push for a SB window happens IMO. That is also when they can move on from the most expensive safety tandem in the league.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Even though I don't list TE, I want Darnell Washington. Guy is a beast and extra O-lineman.
Count me in the "I want Darnell Washington" club.

Based on the mocks I've seen, he'll be gone before our #37 overall.

I'd like to see us trade up into the #32 - #35 overall range and snag Washington.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Count me in the "I want Darnell Washington" club.

Based on the mocks I've seen, he'll be gone before our #37 overall.

I'd like to see us trade up into the #32 - #35 overall range and snag Washington.
Yeah, I think he will be drafted late first round. Some team is going to be smart enough to realize the added value you get with Washington.

GemCity

Reaction score
We’re still 2-3 years out imo. I’m not being negative.

Totally impressed with what we did last year and the direction we are headed. But, these year 2 players and crop of rookies from this draft need experience and time to grow.

Patience is key. Not getting hysterical if we miss the playoffs….

We all know we’re headed in the right direction!

legend38

Reaction score
Okay, we've got a couple pieces. We need a few pieces.

Someone who's a bit smarter at FA and the Draft - please enlighten me -

With who's left in FA and the 1,459 different mock draft scenarios - exactly what do JS and PC need to do to finish the D reboot?

I'm concerned that they are pretty much out of cap, and there's still a bunch to do. I REALLY hope that we don't get a 1/2 reboot here. That would be frustrating after last season. I mean you can find cap for a big splashy signing - but with all the needs and paying the draft class - are we out of gas already?

Anyone who can see the bigger picture accurately?
Bobby W

Scout

Reaction score
DL, 2 ILBs and another CB from my view.

I think the team is satisfied with what they have on edge and S but that could change.

chrispy

Reaction score
A few moving parts that are hard to evaluate just yet....

1)PC/JS really like flexible players that can contribute in different roles. If they snag another guy that can play OC or OG, then that's one less body they need. ...like MBennett filled the roles of 2 guys on DL for years. It seems like, maybe, JAdams might be put into a novel role that we haven't seen before that (at the least) could back up a few positions, or sub...obviously: if healthy.

2)In the previous draft, JS brought in 5 starters with fewer picks. I know that's not something to expect yearly. However, if the '23 draft yields near that, this discussion is more of a celebration thread, not anxiety-inducing.

3)I believe #5 will give insight into PC/JSs expectations. It's mentioned above that the build may be 1/2/3 years out. If they see the same, their favorite QB at 5 is a huge step forward. If they believe a deep run this year is in the cards, a trade back or #5worthy DL is the move.

4) It's been mentioned in other threads but relevant here: there should be a concerted effort to motivate JAdams to take a pay cut. If he were to be cut, he couldn't re-sign anywhere for 11mil salary due this year. Restructuring pushes cap out further which seems like JS is avoiding. He doesn't want to be saddled any longer with an unavailable player. It'll probably be a game of chicken but bringing in Julian Love should give JS more leverage.

We'll know more about a couple of these items as things play out with FAcy and any contract announcements. Otherwise, it's wait for the draft. Even then, we'll still be wondering until camp shows who's lining up where and how often. Remember last year when we drafted 2 OTs but we were all too scared to even suggest they'd both be NFL caliber OTs? Lucas started TC lining up at OG until he won OT. Imagine how boring other fanbases TC turns out because the Coaching staff lacks imagination and is risk adverse. Let's just hope for happy surprises.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think they're futher away than we realize. Last year we had a lot of success but we also benefited from the easiest schedule in the league and some things bouncing our way that probably aren't repeatable. This isnt a knock on Geno but he led the league in turnover worthy throws AND had the lowest % of those not picked off which isn't repeatable. That alone could've swung 2-3 games the other direction. Next year the schedule won't be as easy and we will have to play better. But on the bright side whatever internal scouting they did last year draft wise was a game changer so while a part of me thinks it was a fluke, I'm hoping they fixed some gaps in their process and the next few drafts will continue to be good.

TO answer the original question we need a ton of pieces and I don't think you get there in one year but who knows maybe some things bounce our way next year again, Jamall is healthy and returns to the player he was before coming here and we have another draft that kicks ass.